FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthinking in genres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: thinking in genres
    Posted: June 02 2008 at 11:23
...is it bad for you? ;P I know a site like prog archives helps us to compartmentalize music in a semi-standardized way, but my mind has a much neater system which is reflected in the way I tag my mp3s' genre fields.

(these are the six terms I use: ":F", "sexy", "silly", "smart", "tears" and "xi". nothing falls outside of these.)

don't you find that thinking in terms of genres tricks you into stereotyping? As much was pointed out to me in my "not liking rock" thread, although mostly by people who can't read or visit a last.fm profile. o:) I say that having your own system lets you think critically about what people write about music.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 14:37
people over categorize things way too much here, its ridiculous sometimes, most of my music tastes sort of webs together....if I really think about it my tastes probably stems out of about 10 key bands, everything else is just a branch or hybridization off of that,
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 14:41
I personally have 2 genres: Porcupine Tree and Not-Porcupine Tree. it makes things very easy to categorize.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 14:57
The way I see things, categorising and personal tastes are two very different issues. As someone who has studied and researched the humanities for all her life, I know categorising is often inevitable, and it has the main purpose of acting as a guide to a given artistic or literary movement, putting it into a historical and cultural framework. However, those categories hardly ever rule people's taste in art, literature or music: you can like a painter even if you are not too keen on the movement he is part of.

That said, excessive pigeonholing can be negative, and some people tend to obsess about whether Band X is in the right or wrong category. To use a somewhat clichéd expression, we should use categories, not be used by them.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 15:00

Quite obviously, the use of genres is a stereotyping classfication method since it uses certain genre stereotypes for determining the genres to be used for the classification of the various bands.  This stereotyping can have both positive and negative connotations.  As a general rule, I am not interested in the RIO/Avant or the extreme/technical metal categories, so when a band is labeled as such then I benefit from my stereotyping of these genres by not subjecting myself to music that generally I do not like.  On the other hand, I will unfortunately miss out on bands that are categorized as such that I might actually have liked if they had not been labeled as such.  Of course, as we all know, when it comes to many prog bands they are all over the map when it comes to where they actually fall in the world of prog as their genres change from album to album and from song to song, and even within songs. 

Of course, the flipside of this is that I can also be "tricked" by bands that are listed in genres that I do generally like, but their music is not for me.  Although I imagine that it would be pretty rare to find someone here in the forums that likes every band that is labeled within their specific favorite genres. 

Although I have become somewhat close-minded towards the above two genres that I mentioned, I realize that there is good music out there.  But at least for me at this point, there are still plenty of bands for me to explore within the genres that I generally really like so therefore I am not too interested in exploring further these other genres.  See me again in 5/10/15 years and I could be right there with the rest of you looking for the more extreme and bizarre musical passages because I have finally found the same old vanilla prog to be too boring. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 15:03
And to follow in Stonebeard's footsteps, I suppose my two genres are Rush and not-Rush.Wink
the_binkster View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 15:36

I prefer not to think of the resulting stylistic characteristics of the music when it is completed but instead consider the creative process, as a result genres are negated.

For example:

Jazz is an attitude not a genre (the same is true for all forms prog)

It reflects the creative process better and is more consistent with music as an art-form than labelling it in an analytical way.

My own thoughts....

Note: the genres section on my iPod is empty
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 15:59
I think of genres as descriptive terms rather than categories.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 03:46
In my own head my categorizing is a bit odd in that it is not really based on the rock, rap, jazz, etc genre mold.  When I am deciding on what album I am in the mood to listen to I think in the categories of "groove", "heavy" (could be heavy in the traditional sense or other contexts), "dynamic/moving", "moody", and something along the lines of "f**king fantastic". 

However thats just in my head for choosing.  When operating in conversation or organizing my collection I have my basics Rock, Jazz, R&B/Soul, "Classical", Folk/Non-Western, Country...

These sections are broken down into their smaller sub-sections if needed.  When organizing I will break rock into the categories of Prog, Alt, Metal, Punk, but if I am in a conversation and its getting pretty in depth I will begin to use the even smaller genre names for the sake of better description so that Metal isn't confined to a confusion of Cannibal Corpse being the same as Death because they are both within Metal.

I'm not into that dumb genre creation sh*t like Skruzz or whatever the hell other stupid terms like that were created. 
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 05:46
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

That's exactly how I see it. Unfortunately some genre labels are simply not descriptive at all: Zeuhl, Canterbury, Raga-Rock ... as a newbie you don't have a chance of figuring out what they mean without listening to the actual music or reading genre definitions.

In the end these non-descriptive genre labels are monikers for lists of simpler, descriptive attributes. For example, "Post-Rock" can be seen as "Experimental Minimalistic Rock" at least for some of the bands. For GY!BE you could add "Atmospheric" and "Noisy", for Sigur Rós you could add "Melodic". Zeuhl can be seen as "Avant-Garde Dark Weird Minimalistic Prog Rock".

Some may see this as even more pidgeon holing, as the genre labels grow longer. But actually the definitions get broader and more intuitive.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 06:30
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

That's exactly how I see it. Unfortunately some genre labels are simply not descriptive at all: Zeuhl, Canterbury, Raga-Rock ... as a newbie you don't have a chance of figuring out what they mean without listening to the actual music or reading genre definitions.

In the end these non-descriptive genre labels are monikers for lists of simpler, descriptive attributes. For example, "Post-Rock" can be seen as "Experimental Minimalistic Rock" at least for some of the bands. For GY!BE you could add "Atmospheric" and "Noisy", for Sigur Rós you could add "Melodic". Zeuhl can be seen as "Avant-Garde Dark Weird Minimalistic Prog Rock".

Some may see this as even more pidgeon holing, as the genre labels grow longer. But actually the definitions get broader and more intuitive.

Things like that I just learn to accept. All in all, there's really not much internal logic to my view of this whole genre thing. On one hand, I definitely prefer some types of music over others - a quick look at my music collection makes that clear. On the other hand, I like quite a few bands that are rather hard to classify and sometimes love a band whose genre I otherwise don't care much for.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
chemo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 06:34
I use a lot of genres, (probably because of listening to a lot of metal, which covers a huge range of sounds), but mainly because they describe music well. We as humans like to categorize things, which is useful, because it lets you describe stuff. Your 6 terms you use would be absolutely useless in telling someone what something sounds like. They're basically a way of describing the music. I don't see how being able to somewhat describe your music in a few words really holds you back creatively. There's no rule against moving from genre to genre.

If someone asks you what something sounds like, and you respond "xi". They'll sit there blankly and slowly turn away and leave. Genres simply give a fairly universal way of describing a bands sound. It's only ever a ball park sound, which still means theres room for stuff to sound original.

Edited by chemo - June 03 2008 at 06:38
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 14:08
I use genres as a way of categorizing my music in my collection and to help me have certain coherence in the order I put my cds. I never ever use "tags" as I think they're utterly useless. They're just descriptions with no practical value whatsoever. genres may not have a definitive value also, but at least they help in practical aspects as, I said, arranging a cd collection. In a website, they're useful because for the newbie, for the new listener (like I was at some point) it's so much easier to discover new bands by following a genre clasification than by following tags like "sexy" or "dark".
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 14:12
^ well, maybe my website isn't utterly useless to you ... after all, some of the tags are genres! Wink
ANDREWM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 14:35
There are two genres in Prog Music and music general

Beatles influenced Prog or Pop Or Rock Music

Others

If you don't believe me just check out how many artists cite the Beatles as a influence.

www.answers.com/topic/the-beatles - 582k
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 14:45
Thinking about music is like , er ... hmmm ... aaaahhhh ...
Damn ... nothing.
Oh well, at least I realized it within three sentences.Smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Josh_M View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I personally have 2 genres: Porcupine Tree and Not-Porcupine Tree. it makes things very easy to categorize.

lol

In some way, categorizing music into certain genres is necessary to define their music...that is, if you're unable to define it w/o the use of genres.
Always the summers are slipping away.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 15:05
I don't use genres in my music programs because they have no point. I already know what everything is. And when I do use them, I try to use the simplest terms possible, like "indie", "black metal", "progressive rock", "shoegaze", "post-rock", etc.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
 Post Reply Post Reply