Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saw Dream Theater live, and now I don't like them.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSaw Dream Theater live, and now I don't like them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:35
You mistook what I meant. I didn't mean that Roadrunner was DIRECTLY encouraging them to be more metal, but possibly the thought of playing on Roadrunner could encourage such a direction.

But like you said, its merely the evolutionary process their music has taken. And not even to say theyve even been getting more metal. TOT was a metal turn, but they really brought back alot of the more mellowed out moments on Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos was a healthy middle man.

And besides, did Portnoy not ALSO state they would not be working with producers or outside writers anymore? Their was no producers for Systematic Chaos other then the credited ones- Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci. They had engineers and mixers and whatnot, but no producers.

"I was told, theres a new love that's born for each one that has died."
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:35
Originally posted by Mantra Mantra wrote:

Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

First, let me say thank you to rushfan4 for putting it all in perspective. I can understand someone coming to thier beloved band's defense.

As to not liking DT only because of the live performance, that is just not wholly true. I always had a mixed feeling about DT. It took me a long time to get into them, and most of that time was spent training myself to ignore LaBrie's voice. I can't get into his voice or singing style, and never will be able it, just personal taste. Though, the music overshadows his voice enough to make it enjoyable listening. The concert was just a nail in the coffin, as it were. Maybe even saying "I don't like them" is a bit harsh. I am not going to trade in my DT CDs, but since the concert, I have had no desire to listen to them. I doubt I will go the rest of my life without ever listening to them again.

My main reason for going to Chicago was for Opeth, because I didn't know how much they toured in the US. Of course, they are coming to St. Louis, which I already have tickets for (I didn't know they would be here in October at the time, I don't think it was scheduled). 3 was amazing also. Dream Theater was almost a bit to perfect. Like I said, it sounded like the CDs. . . the solos were identical. And, you have to admit, Patrucci's and Rudess's soloes are pretty much the same. They got boring for me after the 10th one. Portnoy didn't even do a solo. I thought a kickass drum solo was implied with a Dt concert. Maybe that is why I didn't like him much. I may have been able to overlook his stage persona if he had wowed me, but he didn't. I was expecting something to blow me away like one of Jordinson's solos, but he just played the songs as they were recorded. And Myung had one 10 second solo (if that long) and it kicked ass. He could have done more.

What was that Myung solo in? Did they play part of the instrumental section of Metropolis Pt. 1 at the ending medley?

As for Petrucci and Rudess, like I said, they are very precise. Some dont like it like you, as you'd probably like to see more jamming, others appreciate the fact that they CAN play whats on the record, unlike ridiculous bands like Dragonforce or something.

Although I have to disagree, often times Rudess will mash up his solos and make them sound much different, save a few like Dance of Eternity and the keyboard melodies. But a lot of solos like the short one in Under a Glass Moon, he does change them up.

Also, Rael...another reason for no drum solo was because of curfews. Since there was 4 bands they were assigned strict time slots:

3 - 30 Minutes
BTBAM - 30 Minutes
Opeth - 60 Minutes
Dream Theater - 90 Minutes

Maybe, "An Evening With" show would've been more suitable for you, a much longer set..which allows them to play with some more variety..and add a few extra things in.

Another thing, I forgot to appologize to you directly about my comments earlier this week. Sorry again, no hard feelings hopefully.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:38
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

^
I apologize for my friend, I am over his house and he got a hold of my laptop while we were watching Score.

The strange part is that I already knew what to expect, I have the Score dvd and really really like it... so, what was so different? Maybe the material they played? I mean the only song I really, really like from the new album was not played (Prophets of war) but instate I ended up with an encore of In presence of enemies 1 and 2... which quite frankly I find to be Dream Theaters worst material ever written, specially the second part. The whole "Dark master within" part was a bit shameful, I remember being with a friend at the concert and some people we had convinced to come with and we both feld a bit ashamed of this type of things. I guess LaBRIE´s name really makes sense... cheeeesyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

oh I´m just beyond hilarious

Prophets of War has yet to be played any show I'm pretty sure.

Also, like I said to Rael: Maybe "An Evening With" show would be more suiting for you, more variety..a better chance at you getting to hear some of your favorite songs.

Also, ITPOE part 1 + 2 are some of the best material they've put out in their entire career IMO.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:40
Originally posted by Mantra Mantra wrote:

You mistook what I meant. I didn't mean that Roadrunner was DIRECTLY encouraging them to be more metal, but possibly the thought of playing on Roadrunner could encourage such a direction.

But like you said, its merely the evolutionary process their music has taken. And not even to say theyve even been getting more metal. TOT was a metal turn, but they really brought back alot of the more mellowed out moments on Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos was a healthy middle man.

And besides, did Portnoy not ALSO state they would not be working with producers or outside writers anymore? Their was no producers for Systematic Chaos other then the credited ones- Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci. They had engineers and mixers and whatnot, but no producers.

My fault, yes Paul (something that starts with an N LOL)..was just the sound engineer and helped with the mixing..but he did work as a producer on Rush's "Moving Pictures"
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:46
Originally posted by Zoso- Zoso- wrote:

they are all about musical pretentious w**k and you put brilliant musicans together and you get that technically amazing sound and hardcore solos

Not true.

Edited by BroSpence - August 26 2008 at 23:47
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 00:29

Its cool MisterProg. I apologize for the comments I made also.

And I figured that is why there was no solo, because they didn't play a huge set, but a one minute thing would have been cool. And that is why I don't am weary of concerts with more than three bands. I would have loved to hear 3 play a bit more, and BTBAM. They played two songs, haha. And an hour of Opeth wasn't nearly enough. Can't wait to see them again.

I can't remember where the Myung solo was, but I don't think it was in The Dance of Eternity (or that section of thier medley) because I remember it taking my by surprise. Of course, they played some songs I haven't heard (don't have all thier CDs.)

Edited by ~Rael~ - August 27 2008 at 00:31
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 11:39

And I figured that is why there was no solo, because they didn't play a huge set, but a one minute thing would have been cool. And that is why I don't am weary of concerts with more than three bands. I would have loved to hear 3 play a bit more, and BTBAM. They played two songs, haha. And an hour of Opeth wasn't nearly enough. Can't wait to see them again.

I can't remember where the Myung solo was, but I don't think it was in The Dance of Eternity (or that section of thier medley) because I remember it taking my by surprise. Of course, they played some songs I haven't heard (don't have all thier CDs.)

Hmm, Myung certainly doesn't solo much and I have all their albums.. Maybe it was on the Images and Words track Metropolis Pt. 1. Do you own that album?

"I was told, theres a new love that's born for each one that has died."
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 19:12

that's one of the reasons I didn't like the idea of Prognation as much as  I originally did
I'd much rather see the bands play their own concerts for longer

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 19:22

Sorry if I greatly offended anyone. I wasn't trying to be a troll, just sharing an opinion. And hearing that they are nice guys to the fans kind of changes my mind a little bit.

And, I was going to stick around on these boards rather than make a topic and leave when it was dead, but after all this, I doubt I will ever make a new thread. If you can't express an opinion without people being total dickheads to you, forget it.

You are behaving like a troll.

You claim you were a "huge DT fan"

A "huge DT fan" even one who no longer felt the same about the band would never say the things about DT that you did.

Thread moved. Closed and warning sent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234