FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMetallica: Progressiveness Distribution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 16:10
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Yes guys, but almost 63% of the members who voted in the poll started believe Metallica shouldn't be here.

Honestly, talking about "Levels of Progressiveness" make me laugh,

Iván

Agreed.

Honestly, if this site truly cared about "levels of progressiveness" half of the bands that are here wouldn't be and there'd be about twice as much electronic-related material. Artists such as Autechre, Boards of Canada, and Aphex Twin are more progressive than 80% of the bands here, but they have no similarity to the prog sound at all, so they get no recognition. I'd argue their placement on this site long before I would ever argue Metallica's.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 16:39
*Please* add them to my website then ... there *you* define what's progressive and what isn't. I even recently implemented the distinction between progressiveness and what you call "prog sound". And ... your sorting algorithm is still there (you can select it on the "charts" page).Smile
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 22:42
Originally posted by Fight Club Fight Club wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Yes guys, but almost 63% of the members who voted in the poll started believe Metallica shouldn't be here.

Honestly, talking about "Levels of Progressiveness" make me laugh,

Iván

Agreed.

Honestly, if this site truly cared about "levels of progressiveness" half of the bands that are here wouldn't be and there'd be about twice as much electronic-related material. Artists such as Autechre, Boards of Canada, and Aphex Twin are more progressive than 80% of the bands here, but they have no similarity to the prog sound at all, so they get no recognition. I'd argue their placement on this site long before I would ever argue Metallica's.

I've tried.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31334&PN=23

The electronic prog definition is not closely related to the 'prog sound', but it admits of nothing that might sound remotely 'commercial'.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 23:53
Ivan, I'd like to say something about your opinions. I have been reading these forums for a long time, much longer than how long I've actually been a member. I've seen you in discussions, and frankly, you seem very black and white and your opinions aren't very open to things. I really don't mean to offend you, and I probably shouldn't considering you have much respect from the forum (and me) and have been here longer, but come on.

How can you label an album just progressive, somewhat progressive, or not progressive? I would consider both "ITCOTCK" and "Close to the Edge" as progressive, but since the former broke more ground, wouldn't you say ITCOTCK is more progressive? Then it would be on a higher level of progressiveness.

Many people wish there were 10 levels to rate an album on, rather than just five. Would you rather have 3 levels? Bad, okay, and good? I'm just saying.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 10:51
I just upgraded the chart a little bit ... the related/prog ranges are now marked accordingly.Smile

@Iván: Have a look at the chart now ... it's now more obvious that what I'm doing is quite compatible with your "ternary" solution (non prog, prog related, prog). Big%20smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - September 15 2008 at 11:49
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 11:53
i can't rate individual tracks like in the past. Did you remove that feature?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 12:07
^ you can rate the tracks by clicking the symbol to the right of the album rating dropdown ... works for the other tags as well.Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - September 15 2008 at 12:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123