Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Flower Kings - Best Of The Worst

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which of these 4 lowest-rated Flower Kings albums is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [31.67%]
9 [15.00%]
10 [16.67%]
22 [36.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 10:52
^nice new avatar!! Clap
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 10:59
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

^nice new avatar!! Clap

Thanks Pablo!   It was about time I sorted out an avatar, so I had to choose a really good one Approve.
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 18:25
Well ,better late than never.. I haven't heard Adam and Eve
The Rainmaker [love it]
Flower Power  [like it]
Paradox Hotel [still trying to figure it out]
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 21:34
ok ,Paradox Hotel is really really good. I don't know why it it didn't hit me on the first listen.But now I am totally
enjoying .  
frbassdevil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 18:25
It's sort of funny to see Flower Power in this list.
In their official forum, it's one of their most highly praised albums.

But for me, I'm still not very familiar with Flower Power yet. I have listened to the first disc several times, but the second disc I barely heard. I really don't know why. Probably I feel like I don't need to listen to anything after listening to the perfect Garden of Dreams.

I know the other 3 albums better than FP, so here I go for a few comments on each album:
I think that The Rainmaker is quite underrated. The longer songs are great and the others are pretty good. Not their best, but still very solid.
Adam & Eve is very hit & miss for me. The first 3 songs are amazing, and so is Driver's Seat. The other ones don't catch my attention that much.
Paradox Hotel is among my favorites. I really like the way it changes through several different styles. Songs like Monsters & Men, End on a High Note and Minor Giant Steps are among their best. I'm also really into the hard rock ones like Hit Me with a Hit, Life Will Kill You and Paradox Hotel. Most of the others are pretty good, as well.

So, Paradox Hotel gets my vote! Smile

Edited by frbassdevil - April 03 2009 at 18:28
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 19:47
Originally posted by frbassdevil frbassdevil wrote:

But for me, I'm still not very familiar with Flower Power yet. I have listened to the first disc several times, but the second disc I barely heard. I really don't know why. Probably I feel like I don't need to listen to anything after listening to the perfect Garden of Dreams.

I know the other 3 albums better than FP, so here I go for a few comments on each album:
I think that The Rainmaker is quite underrated. The longer songs are great and the others are pretty good. Not their best, but still very solid.
Adam & Eve is very hit & miss for me. The first 3 songs are amazing, and so is Driver's Seat. The other ones don't catch my attention that much.
Paradox Hotel is among my favorites. I really like the way it changes through several different styles. Songs like Monsters & Men, End on a High Note and Minor Giant Steps are among their best. I'm also really into the hard rock ones like Hit Me with a Hit, Life Will Kill You and Paradox Hotel. Most of the others are pretty good, as well.

Welcome frbassdevil! Good to see another fan of The Flower Kings here on PA.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 03:46
Actually I often visit Prog Archives since 2006/2007, but for some unknown reason I never registered myself. LOL

I think it'll be nice to share some thoughts on prog rock with people here! Thumbs Up
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 05:30
Originally posted by frbassdevil frbassdevil wrote:

And another warm welcome from me as well. I'm known as one of their biggest fans here  Cool. (sorry just showing off, had to do it). But I'm also intrigued by your comments on Flower Power. I think my feel is just about 100% the same about this album. The one thing I didn't know yet is that it's praised as their most popular (or at least one of them). I think it's certainly their most interesting one of course mainly because of the one hour track. When I bought the album in 1998 I listened to it several times but put it aside as well because in those days it was all a bit too complex (esp GOD) for me. But in the back of my mind I always realized and knew it was great. Right now I fully recognize the greatness of the entire album and it's certainly one of their most significant ones.

By the way: you're invited to visit the appreciation thread of TFK:   http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54797
A day without prog is a wasted day
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 23:44
Thank you TheCaptain and progrules.
Discussing prog music here will be even better with nice people like you both.

About Flower Power:
I entered the official TFK forum last year. I found there a topic created in 2006, where they did some kind of The Flower Kings Football Cup. Their 4 double albums reached the first 4 positions.
If I recall right, Flower Power won the "tournament" by beating Paradox Hotel in the last "match". Tongue

Now I'm going to check out the appreciation thread. Wink
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 06:02
Nice to see this thread got bumped.

I still don't have Flower Power or Adam And Eve so I still can't vote.  Rainmaker, whilst one of the weaker TFK efforts, is still a fine album.  However, how Paradox Hotel can have an average of about 3.5 is simply beyond belief!  It's an amazing album, one of their very best.  The material is varied, but consistently very good.  There's some really nice mid-length epics, oh, and there's another little number that's quite good too, goes by the name of Monsters And Men.

ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 12:22
Flower Power definitely doesn't belong this list.  It may be their fourth best album, not their fourth worst. 
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 17:32
I like some of the songs from all of these but Flower Power is the best overall. Rainmaker is second for me, I think this album gets bashed unfairly, it's a lot better than PH and A&E imo, "Love Supreme" from A&E has to be one of the worst epics ever... and Monsters and Men doesn't fair much better.

That said TFK is one of my favorite bands for those who don't know. The Flower King, Back in the World of Adventures, Retropolis, Space Revolver, and Unfold the Future are all some of my favorite albums ever (Stardust We Are is about half great and The Sum of No Evil is decent all the way through, with a few great parts).
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 20:59
hey , I love this band. I listen to tfk music as though its all on one giant record. I need links to info on live gigs.
any help here ?
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 03:11
Take a look on their website for any upcoming gigs.  However, I don't expect much activity at the moment.  The band are on a bit of a hiatus at present, and all the members seem to be busy on solo or side projects, ie Transatlantic.

For the time being,  my recommendation would be this.  Just get yourself one of their concert DVDs buddy, pour yourself a beer, sit back and enjoy.......... 
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 09:46
How did I not vote on this...  Paradox Hotel.

Minor Giant Steps is an amazing song, Life Will Kill You rocks as well.  Rest of the CD is constanly good.

Honorable Mention to Flower Power
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 20:14
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

Take a look on their website for any upcoming gigs.  However, I don't expect much activity at the moment.  The band are on a bit of a hiatus at present, and all the members seem to be busy on solo or side projects, ie Transatlantic.

For the time being,  my recommendation would be this.  Just get yourself one of their concert DVDs buddy, pour yourself a beer, sit back and enjoy.......... 

hey ,Karmakanic with the Flower King on guitar will satisfy .Wink
I hear rumors of a a few shows in Sept.  I was hoping someone might have some details.
I am watching the Symforce 3 threads.
Roj ,I love the live dvd "Meet The Flower Kings " I want to see these dudes jam live!Smile
and if Transatlantic comes anywhere I can get to ,I'm thereClap
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2009 at 20:30
With songs like Monsters and Men, What If God Is Alone, Pioneers of Aviation, and the title track, Paradox Hotel is undoubtedly the best low-rated Flower Kings album. Although Garden of Dreams is entertaining to listen to.
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 16:25
The Rainmaker, cos i just love Road To Sanctuary and Last Minute On Earth 
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 07:08
At last I can vote in this Big smile.

For me, Flower Power is the best of these.  Whilst disc 2 is a little inconsistent there are still several great songs on there, particularly Deaf Numb & Blind.  However, disc 1 is absolutely awesome.  Garden Of Dreams is simply magnificent, a wonderful journey through many twists and turns, but superb throughout.  Then there's Astral Dog which is excellent too.  

Flower Power would get 5 stars from me, but so would Adam & Eve, which I find strangely un-appreciated by many. Paradox Hotel would also get the full 5 from me too.  Sorry Rainmaker, you are the weakest link, but definitely not goodbye.  Rainmaker is still a mighty fine album and is a 4.25 stars effort for me. 
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 08:44
Paradox hotel is incredible! I have no idea why it's in the bottom four.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123