Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKyuss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kyuss
    Posted: October 31 2008 at 03:33
A bit surprised they aren't here, really... but for some reason I didn't get around to making a thread about it until today! LOL Anyway, I think they should be here under "Psychedelic/Space Rock"... they've got some long, drawn-out trippy songs (Spaceship Landing, Freedom Run) and then there is of course their magnum opus Welcome to Sky Valley which is:

1) Total Hawkwind worship with some Sabbath and Cheer thrown in, though its atmosphere is more Easy Rider than 2001: A Space Odyssey

2) A concept album (about a day in the life of a small town in California, apparently) with lots of long, relatively complex songs flowing into each other

Okay, I'll admit that Sky Valley is the only album of theirs that is prog all the way through but it's got some interesting and clearly deliberate use of texture, contrasting dynamics, electronic sound effects and tempo changes.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - October 31 2008 at 03:35
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 04:04
I listen to Kyuss almost everyday, but I wont let that color my view of seeing them as a band that is essentially just stoner rock/metal.
They were just incredibly good at what they did, but I fail to see how long songs, textures, contrasting dynamics, tempo changes and electronic sounds make it progConfused
They were certainly more complex than many bands and it's far removed from pop music
Can't people just move on if a band they like isn't here and stop forcing themselves to pretend it's somehow prog? I really don't understand how someone can warp Stoner Rock/Metal into "Psychedelic/Space Rock" when clearly it is not.
It's no loss if they aren't in PA. I'd rather they stay out and just be accepted as the incredible stoner rock/doom they were.
This band can be discussed and loved at so many other rock and metal sites if people want to talk about them. They are the fathers of stoner rock/metal, but nothing more, but that doesn't make them any less of a band.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 12:09
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

They were just incredibly good at what they did, but I fail to see how long songs, textures, contrasting dynamics, tempo changes and electronic sounds make it progConfused

What about the obvious influence from Hawkwind, a band that is on the archives? Tongue

Quote I really don't understand how someone can warp Stoner Rock/Metal into "Psychedelic/Space Rock" when clearly it is not.

You're making a mistake by thinking that 1990s "stoner rock" is a separate genre from 1960s/1970s psychedelia. Most of its fans, me included, don't view it that way... look at StonerRock.com's official top 10 list including a lot of stuff actually released in the seventies. It doesn't do anything that fundamentally different from Hendrix and Hawkwind. Sure, they might have added some more stylings of the eighties and nineties but that was pretty much part of continuing a rock subgenre that almost faded out completely in the seventies and playing leapfrog in evolving it as much as other types of rock had.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 12:38
FWIW, I previously asked people's opinion regarding Kyuss and was pretty much told what Hughes said.  That they are a great band but that they are stoner rock, not prog.  To be honest, I had no idea how to categorize them, as I found them to be quite different than most anything else that I have listened to.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 12:48
Kyuss on PA? They would be the first ones to say: "Wait a minute, man..."
On the other hand, there's already Black Sabbath and other likely bands on the PA database. If I dare, I would say that Cathedral - the UK doom-metal band - is more indicated for PA.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 12:55
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

On the other hand, there's already Black Sabbath and other likely bands on the PA database.

Maybe if Rick Wakeman had played on one of Kyuss' albums they'd be here... LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 13:01
Hmmm, it seems like the case for Kyuss should be put to rest.
I'm saying that as someone who absolutely adores their music, if that means anything.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 13:07
Here is a link to the previous thread if there is any interest.  It was actually about Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 13:33
Interesting link ScottThumbs Up
I agree very much with MikeEnregalia's sentiments on his first post in the thread.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 13:41
Kyuss? Prog? no way, Finest Stoner Rock but prog? no.

Cathedral neither prog, Doom at his best.

Better let's discuss this bands in this Thread: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52834

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 15:41
Cathedral is essentially a doom band yes, but they have made Statik Majik which I consider to be progressive. That EP would fit nicely into the psych catagory, but the rest of their output hardly belongs on PA ( maybe the two first albums if you stretch but not the rest). Kyuss ? Well for the first time so far I have to agree with HughesJB4 that I donīt think Kyuss belong here.
 Post Reply Post Reply