Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BOC studio albums from favorite to least favorite
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBOC studio albums from favorite to least favorite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 07:27
Imaginos is a fantastic album musically, and even if the story is unclear (which it is), this should have no bearing on the pleasure derived from listening to it. You can treat it as a collection of great songs, just like you would with most albums that are not 'concepts'.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:39
What about Extra Terrestrial Live?  Nobody's mentioned that.  It's an absolutely awesome album.  The version of Veteran Of The Psychic Wars is my all-time favourite BOC track. 

On Your Feet Or On Your Knees was pretty damn good too.

Oh, and once I saw BOC at Manchester Apollo in the mid-80s, and got one of Eric Bloom's plectrums with the BOC logo on it Approve.  They were absolutely brilliant live by the way.

Edited by Roj M30 - April 16 2009 at 10:40
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 14:22
The poll was actually about Studio albums, if you look at the thread titleWink... Anyway, I agree with you on ET Live - I gave it 5 stars in my review, as I did to On Your Feet.... I am planning a glowing review of Imaginos to post in the next few days.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 15:07
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Imaginos is a fantastic album musically, and even if the story is unclear (which it is), this should have no bearing on the pleasure derived from listening to it. You can treat it as a collection of great songs, just like you would with most albums that are not 'concepts'.

God, the story is like something that someone would make up to make up a completely unfollowable storyline just to confuse people LOL. Not to menton it takes place over more than just that album, and the main character may be capable of time travel Confused
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 15:57
Well for me the first 3 are the greatest of all

moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 23:00
yeah, the three initial albums are the best, in that order:

1. Secret treaties
2. BOC
3. tyranny and mutation

Then we have:

4. Agents of fortune
5. Fire of unknown origin
6. Spectres

Don't like their late late seventies and eighties output (Except FoUO). really can't understand why Imaginos is rated sohigher by some, they simply killed Astronomy there. And for me the duo Flaming Telepaths/Astronomy in ST is unbeatable.

but even in the eighties they are a wonderful live band. Wish they can do a gig around here.

Is that tru that  AllenLanier is out again?
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2009 at 07:17
Yes, Lanier retired from performing live, and has been replaced by someone whose name I don't remember. Anyway, if you go to their website, you'll see they have an extensive tour planned for 2009, at least in the US... Unfortunately, we won't be able to catch them this time, but it seems they're adding dates all the time, so, who knows if you'll eventually manage to see them?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2009 at 07:43
Originally posted by moodyxadi moodyxadi wrote:

yeah, the three initial albums are the best, in that order:

1. Secret treaties
2. BOC
3. tyranny and mutation

Then we have:

4. Agents of fortune
5. Fire of unknown origin
6. Spectres

Don't like their late late seventies and eighties output (Except FoUO). really can't understand why Imaginos is rated sohigher by some, they simply killed Astronomy there. And for me the duo Flaming Telepaths/Astronomy in ST is unbeatable.

but even in the eighties they are a wonderful live band. Wish they can do a gig around here.

Is that tru that  AllenLanier is out again?

Imaginos is an incredible album, and I don't think they killed Astronomy on that album, although I do like the version on ST better.  On the other hand I much prefer Blue Oyster Cult to its original form Subhuman.  That song and Magna of Illusion alone would make the album worthy of high praise.  Throw in I Am the One You Warned Me Of, Frankenstein, Les Invisibles, and so on and you have a masterpiece. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 12:44
At the moment, I'm trying to get into BOC. I searched for new epic hard rock and some people recommend me BOC.

I bought Blue Öyster Cult, Tyranny and Mutation and Fire of Unknown Origin. Are they supposed to be good albums? I like them but I don't find them "amazing" yet
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 14:33
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

At the moment, I'm trying to get into BOC. I searched for new epic hard rock and some people recommend me BOC.

I bought Blue Öyster Cult, Tyranny and Mutation and Fire of Unknown Origin. Are they supposed to be good albums? I like them but I don't find them "amazing" yet

You know, we all have our individual tastes... I happen to find those albums amazing, or at the very least very good, but you don't have to agree with me. If you don't like them, that's fine... If you look at the ratings, they are probably 'supposed' to be good, but that does not mean everyone will love them.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 16:12

Just got into them myself, and I started with the live album, Extraterrestrial Live, it really rawked! Not sure of the albums you got, but if you find this album, ETL, and you're a big fan of powerful live perfomances, yet clever riffs, lyrics, etc, then hopefully you'll enjoy it.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 06:20
If your new to BÖC the album to start with is Agents of fortune, thiere best album in most people opinion including mine and one of my favorite albums of all time, its thiere answer to Zeppelins IV and Sabbaths Paranoid a landmark hard rock album simply put.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 05:45
Hi!

Thanks for your recommandations! Anyway, I'll continue to listen to the albums I own, of course everyone has different tastes, I find them good at least and I enjoy listening to them Wink

I'll try Agents Of Fortune if I find a used copy soon Smile
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 07:16
^ yes the album you got so far are some of thiere best so you shuldent be dissapointed. Wink
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 14:59
I'll do a top 5,

Secret Treaties
Fire of Unknown Origin
Tyranny and Mutation
Blue Oyster Cult
Agents of Fortune
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
AlanOB View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 20:02
Never a band that clicked with me. I have Secret Treaties, the debut and Agents of Fortune, and despite a reasonable amount of play when I got them they never got under my skin in any meaningful way.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 05:37
Originally posted by AlanOB AlanOB wrote:

Never a band that clicked with me. I have Secret Treaties, the debut and Agents of Fortune, and despite a reasonable amount of play when I got them they never got under my skin in any meaningful way.

I guess it's the same for me, I own now three of their best albums, I listened again to the first album yesterday, but nothing really happens with me... I have the same feeling with The Who, I try I try... It's not that I don't like it but it's just that I feel nothing in particular. But I won't give up LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 06:00

I guess it's the same for me, I own now three of their best albums, I listened again to the first album yesterday, but nothing really happens with me... I have the same feeling with The Who, I try I try... It's not that I don't like it but it's just that I feel nothing in particular. But I won't give up LOL

You know, you don't HAVE to like a band, even if a lot of people do. I could say the same for many other bands, and this simple fact does not worry me in the least. Thankfully we are all different individuals, with different tastes.... It is hard to explain why a particular band clicks with us, while another doesn't  - it is just the way things are, and not only as regards music.

BTW; I would hesitate to call Agents of Fortune one of the best BOC albums. In my opinion, its follow-up Spectres is much stronger - but then, as I said before, it's just a matter of my own personal taste.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 06:19
Sure! It's the just that as I bought three albums, I would like to appreciate their music! And it's more about the fact that Blue Oyster Cult is a huge band and some of their albums are considered as classic hard rock albums and I'm always interested in classic albums :)
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 09:54
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You know, you don't HAVE to like a band, even if a lot of people do. I could say the same for many other bands, and this simple fact does not worry me in the least. Thankfully we are all different individuals, with different tastes.... It is hard to explain why a particular band clicks with us, while another doesn't  - it is just the way things are, and not only as regards music.

BTW; I would hesitate to call Agents of Fortune one of the best BOC albums. In my opinion, its follow-up Spectres is much stronger - but then, as I said before, it's just a matter of my own personal taste.

I like more any of the first three albums than the laters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12