Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElend for PA (Eclectic, Symf or Prog Related)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elend for PA (Eclectic, Symf or Prog Related)
    Posted: July 11 2009 at 13:07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elend

I am very surprised not to find Elend here. They have in my views for the last 15 years always been the ultimate of Avant-Garde. That was until I discovered PA and learned about Henry Cow, Magma etc etc

But I think Elend deserves an inclusion here. Nuff said. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 13:20
I'm listening to the myspace now, but have to go out shortly: http://www.myspace.com/elendofficialpage

Of course these are mentioned at wikipedia, but for ease: Here's the official page: http://www.elend-music.org/

So far, I would think that symph would be the right team to check it first for its neo-classical, rock etc. mix.  But I have to listen to more (going out very shortly).  I really like this.

Incidentally, it's at progfreak but I can't see it on charts: http://progfreak.com/Elend,_dbe,artists,_auto_5849634.xhtml
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 06:24
Elend, Sympho or Electic? I should listen again to them: back in the 90's, French magazines (at least, metal magazines: for some reason, only these magazines were talking about this band) described their music as rather dark.
If they are included, it would be with the Avant-Prog/R.I.O. bands.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 10:45

Elend is almost impossible to put in one of the brackets. Only one thing is for sure: They should be included in PA. And that is my not-so-humble bombastic (ill-adviced ?) opinion.

I still remember their debut album. It really got our tongues wagging. In short; most of what their record label Holy Records released was sensational. It is my not-so-humble bombastic (ill-adviced ?) opinion that this is one of the best record labels ever to grace this planet.   

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 14:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 18:57

My Dying Bride has taken their place among the titans of the immortals.

I am still pushing Elend for inclusion. Any update ?  

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 01:08
I'm away from home and it is not convenient to listen to music where I am, but I'll look into it again in the next two or three days since I'm dipping my feet in such activities more again.  Happy Hogmanay.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 17:43
Okay I re-listened to the myspace I listed before, and those youtube vids from mjyspace, and still don't see it in Eclectic (I don't hear sufficient variation or the crossing between music in prog categories).  It's neo-classical primarily, and ambient with darkwave elements, and while influenced by academic music "avant-garde" artists, I would not see this in RIO/Avant either.  I don't think I'd really describe it as progressive rock either, though perhaps I'd have to hear more music to make that determination.  I enjoy it, though I would like a little more contrast.  I think I did have an Elend album at one time.  So I could not vote Eclectic, and still see this rather more in the symph vein (which is not to say that Symph would accept it, but you may wish to contact the team by PM to get their opinions).  Prog-Related perhaps, but it's not easy getting into that category.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 17:59
I'm a bit surprised thatb Elend is not in the database as well..... and that this matter wasn't dealt within of the first 24 hours afterthe fact was announced.... Smile
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 18:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm a bit surprised thatb Elend is not in the database as well..... and that this matter wasn't dealt within of the first 24 hours afterthe fact was announced.... Smile

I'm a bit surprised that it took you six months to respond to this topic even if you're not on one of the relevant teams. ;) Took me 13 minutes to find samples, listen, and respond and suggest Symph as a possible starting point. But seriously, at least you're on the case now and can discuss it with the team that you think appropriate. EDIT: I have mentioned it to the symph team.

Edited by Logan - January 01 2010 at 19:19
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 19:27
I say no way in Symphonic, not sure if even in Prog Related.

My opinion is that ELEND is some sort of Neo Classical with no Rock connection at all, for that reason I don't see them as Prog.

Even they describe themselves as some sort of Neo Classical/Concrete/Microtonal/Avant Garde, etc Music.

Influences: Sort of... Krzysztof Penderecki, Giacinto Scelsi, Pierre Henry, Peter Eötvös, Iannis Xenakis, Luigi Nono, Alfred Schnittke, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Richard Strauss, Gustav Mahler

But not a Prog element in their music in my opinion.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 01 2010 at 19:59

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 19:38
That's pretty much what my ears were telling me too when I listened attentively this last time.

EDIT: Since you listed the influences from myspace, I do think Pierre Henry has merit (not for symph), but that's another case for another time. 

Edited by Logan - January 01 2010 at 19:41
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 03:50
An artist I would have loved seeing in prog-related. Neo-classical stuff with a few electronic twists, but way too elaborate to be regarded as anything new age. Symphonic traits obvious, several space-tinged theme, also the odd folk-tinged passage. Really nice stuff, and while arguable closer related to classical than progressive the relation to prog is undeniable in my personal opinion.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 07:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that it took you six months to respond to this topic even if you're not on one of the relevant teams. ;) Took me 13 minutes to find samples, listen, and respond and suggest Symph as a possible starting point. But seriously, at least you're on the case now and can discuss it with the team that you think appropriate. EDIT: I have mentioned it to the symph team.

Touché....EmbarrassedLOL

even if this thread dates from NovemberStern Smile.... ooops JulyEmbarrassed
and I didn't intervene back then because I thought everything would sail smoothly.... without my posting in itWink

I agree  with Symphonic team..... despite ivŕn's advice (he makes some points as well).... but would gladly see it in Prog-related as well.

Edited by Sean Trane - January 02 2010 at 07:24
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 14:36
Any progress....................... ???????
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 15:19
The general consensus here seemed to be Prog Related, but if you agree with CPicard that Avant comes closest Prog-wise, then you may wish to mention it in the RIO/Avant team thread (personally, I would not see it there).  I don't think anyone championed it for Prog Related (by suggesting it and making a case for it in Prog Related), but as a collab you can suggest and make a case for it in the "Proto-Prog and Related suggestions/ additions" thread (PMing an admin might be more effective).  Of course, even though I feel it should not be in Eclectic, if you disagree with me, you could mention it in the Eclectic team thread.

For a Prog category, I felt symph came closest, as I said, but really I think it's more Prog Related (and of course you thought it might be Prog Related too, so I suggest you contact admin to make a case for it)..

Once you get in Prog-Related evaluations, it gets complicated and takes a long time.

EDIT: Incidentally, I had mentioned it in the Symph team thread, and of course Ivan responded here with quite a resounding no, and discussed it there, so I would consider that door pretty much closed.

Edited by Logan - March 30 2010 at 15:26
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 17:12

A world in their screams is the darkest album I ever heard in my life. Elend belong to the "gothic" wave.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
 Post Reply Post Reply