Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedForthcoming Smashing Pumpkins album!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forthcoming Smashing Pumpkins album!
    Posted: September 16 2009 at 15:37
From Billy Corgan:

"I'm happy to finally announce the plans for the new Smashing Pumpkins album.

Recording began yesterday, September 15th, 2009 on the new record which will be entitled 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope'. The album will feature 44 songs, 4 of which are now being recorded. My desire is to release a song at a time beginning around Halloween of this year, with each new release coming shortly after until all 44 are out. Each song will be made available absolutely for free, to anyone anywhere. There will be no strings attached. Free will mean free, which means you won't have to sign up for anything, give an email address, or jump through a hoop. You will be able to go and take the song or songs as you wish, as many times as you wish.

We will however sell highly limited edition EP's (of 4 songs each times 11), and details of how those EP's will be made available are still being worked out. Because the songs themselves will be free, the EP's will be more like collectors items for the discerning fan who will want the art itself, along with the highest possible audio quality available. The EP's will be more like mini-box sets rather than your normal cd single. We may also offer other variations for sale, say for example a digital single with a demo version of a song. The commitment that is most important is the one I'm making to you: that the music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' will be available for free to everyone. All 44 songs: free for ALL.

When the entire album is finished, it will be compiled into a deluxe box set which will also be made available for sale. Those who have bought the EP's need not worry, as the box set will not be a recompilation of the limited edition pieces.

The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic.

The music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of The Smashing Pumpkins: atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.

I already have 53 songs written for the record, so I am quite confident that I already have much of the material that I would need to undertake such an extensive project. I am very committed to seeing this album through to its completion and very, very excited about the prospect of delivering new Smashing Pumpkins music to you in a unique and exciting way."

Summary:

- Titled Teargarden by Kaleidyscope
   - 44 songs, released over time, all for free
   - 11 collector's EPs of the material at a later date
   - More like early, Gish-era Pumpkins

I'm more excited for this than any album in a looooooong time.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 15:48
Wow! 
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 17:18

As a relatively casual Smashing Pumpkins fan, this is nice news. I'm all for a 3-CD physical mega-album released all at once, however. This "gradual release through downloads every so often" idea just kiinda annoys me. I'll probaly check it out though.

And here's hoping it really is a departure from their sound of late. Again, cool news.
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 21:32
Originally posted by Tarquin Underspoon Tarquin Underspoon wrote:

And here's hoping it really is a departure from their sound of late. Again, cool news.

I'm not sure I want that so much. They've progresses A LOT since Zeitgeist, delving into a bit of American and folk, but more interesting psychedelia and flat out prog (re: the 35-minute "Gossamer," which is waaaaay too long, but has some great ideas.) I want to see where they go now.
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 22:26
Well, yes, always into moving forward Thumbs Up. Perhaps I should rephrase it as "a progression from their sound of late"
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 00:39
It would be great if the original lineup were still together here. The Pumpkins haven't done anything particularly good for years, but the concept here is one I can get behind.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 06:28
Sounds very interesting.Thanks for the heads up Stonie! Clap

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 17:21
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 17:45
No James and D'arcy, correct?  

So it's Billy's latest solo album with Chamberlin, sexed up with the Pumpkins brand name for some extra sales?Wink

Sorry, I'm just one of the purists who wants the original band, and if not, feels the name should be left alone.
It's a disease I haveLOL

SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 19:00
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

So it's Billy's latest solo album with Chamberlin, sexed up with the Pumpkins brand name for some extra sales?Wink

Sorry, I'm just one of the purists who wants the original band, and if not, feels the name should be left alone.
It's a disease I haveLOL

extra sales??? it's free!!!
I would like James and Darcy to be in the band too, but I always felt like Smashing Pumkins was Billy Corgan's project so it doesn't seems wrong to me if he keeps using the name of the band.

44 songs is a bit too much and I didn't like Zeitgest too much (I think I've only heard it twice), but still I'm very interested in this project. Releasing one song at a time could be a bit annoying if you want to listen to the whole thing, but on the other hand it gives time to digest every song better.

I've just heard the new song and it's great, I didn't even find Corgan's voice annoying this time! I hope the rest is as good as this. But... I thought it was going to be free for downloading, not just for streaming... I feel cheated now! ;)

Edited by SgtPepper67 - December 07 2009 at 19:27

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 19:29
It will be downloadable tonight @ midnight, I think.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 19:34
Originally posted by SgtPepper67 SgtPepper67 wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

It's a disease I haveLOL

extra sales??? it's free!!!
I would like James and Darcy to be in the band too, but I always felt like Smashing Pumkins was Billy Corgan's project so it doesn't seems wrong to me if he keeps using the name of the band.

44 songs is a bit too much and I didn't like Zeitgest too much (I think I've only heard it twice), but still I'm very interested in this project. Releasing one song at a time could be a bit annoying if you want to listen to the whole thing, but on the other hand it gives time to digest every song better.

I've just heard the new song and it's great, I didn't even find Corgan's voice annoying this time! I hope the rest is as good as this. But... I thought it was going to be free for downloading, not just for streaming... I feel cheated now! ;)

I was just trying to mess with Stoney but he wasn't takin' the bait. 

Anyway, it's cool...but it's also partially true that he doesn't interest me on his own.  It was the chemistry of the four of them together which I found appealing.  And that's long long gone.  James especially added something huge to their live sound. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 19:38
Also, Jimmy's not there. It's 19-year old guy.

Ah, sweet rage.

Music happens to be good, though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 19:45
No Jimmy either?  Oh my...LOL  I'll check it out sometime.

d.o.k View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 10:55
Quite a nice track from Billy !
As a technical note, I'm glad to see the mastering job is not as awful as the one on Zeitgeist, even pretty good !
my band : http://lgab.tk
 Post Reply Post Reply