Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLarger Listing of Top Albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larger Listing of Top Albums?
    Posted: September 22 2009 at 13:00

Currently, it's only possible to get 250 listings on any "top albums" query. I understand that you probably need to limit the result size so as not to overload the site with the ongoing queries.

However, before the limit I used to run a "top 1,000" list, scan it for things I wasn't aware of, and use it as a partial catalog for my prog collection. I miss that.

Would it be possible for Prog Archives to run a full list (or maybe something like the top 10,000) periodically (perhaps once a month) of everything? The results could be saved into a raw text or Excel import-friendly file (delimited or something), and made available as a zip archive download to save bandwidth.

If you did this, I would suggest an all-inclusive query (all genres, all recording types, all years, all countries, min number ratings=1, min ave. rating=1.0) to catch everything, and like I said make the number of results be really big (preferably everything in the database or maybe limit it to 10,000 if you have to). Include all the data fields for each album (rating, number of ratings, title, artist, genre, country, year, record type -- obviously leave out the cover image for a text file), and let us filter or sort it as we want.

If there are any ways to get to the Prog Archives database to do this myself, please let me know since I'm not aware of them.

Thanks,
Paul

Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 01:02
I flirted with this idea many times, but either others don't want this, or technical limitations denies it.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 08:17

The option of progarchives giving away a downloadable PDF every month gets my vote, as it will also attract prog newcomers and give them a biiiiiiiig look at what's at the archives and what's recommended.

Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 14:10
Oohh, this would be nice!
PaulH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2009 at 18:59
I suppose another alternative to my original suggestion is to provide a paging feature for the existing favorites listings. It would still limit each query to a max of 250 items, but would allow me to get 251-500, 501-750, etc.

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by PaulH - October 04 2009 at 19:00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 00:08
I'll add another thing. What about option that can show unrated albums in this listing ? I think that many would find it useful.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 01:25
A related topic to last post - here's the list of unreviewd albums in the database.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2009 at 22:56

Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

A related topic to last post - here's the list of unreviewd albums in the database.

You're right, that's hell good page. I've used it few times, mostly for Czech albums.

But having this in topalbums.asp page, with covers, year, genres and nice structure would be nice.

But you're right, this should be mentioned and promoted, to get rid of these unreviewed.

Another thing, unreviewed = you'll get first review line in your review. But it's only on album/artist page and on home page. When you go to your profile and open your review, it's not there. I mean this text "FIRST REVIEW OF THIS ALBUM".

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply