Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpooky Tooth/Pierre Henry - CEREMONY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spooky Tooth/Pierre Henry - CEREMONY
    Posted: June 07 2010 at 12:01
Pierre Henry/Spooky Tooth - Ceremony (1969)
Any reason why this is not included in the spooky tooth discography on this site? I think it's their best output - and the most experimental by far. 
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 12:05
If it's not a long lasting collaboration that can be credited as a "band", just an album split, you can add it yourself to the Spooky Tooth discography, mentioning what belongs to whom. And the title should read Ceremony (album split with Pierre Henry).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 12:08
I'd love to see Pierre Henry in PA.  It might be an oversight.  I say go ahead and add it to Spooky Tooth's discography.  We have many examples of such collaborations listed under artist/ band discographies.

If Pierre Henry is added, though (and I think he deserves a place in PA) we'd have to double it for both.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 12:36
Minus the fact that Pierre Henry has little to do with rock music?

Let's not get carried away or, soon, we'll have to add Pierre Schaeffer, Stockhausen, Michel Chion, Luc Ferrari, François Bayle, Parmegiani or Michael Waisisz.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 14:24
And there are many rock artists in PA that have little to do with progressive music. Nice list of artists.  I've voiced support for Stockausen's eventual inclusion before (even if we need a new category for it), glad to see Luc Ferrari  mentioned (not someone I often see mentioned at PA). So what if Pierre Henry has little relation to rock (he certainly has some), he definitely has a relation to Progressive Electronic and he's been involved in jazz work, and worked in a rock context..  There are plenty of artists in PA that I wouldn't call rock (but there's some relation).

Anyway, I think it might make more sense to include a side-project where he worked with others first such as Pierre Henry and Urban Sax's Paradise Lost which I'd put in Avant because it has similarities to acts there.  Though actually, I'd suggest adding Urban Sax first and then add that to Urban Sax's listing.

Guess Urban Sax must have been suggested before, but it's not in PA.

I sometimes think we're generally too tolerant of (or receptive to as a general community) non-progressive rock acts and not tolerant enough when it comes to progressive non-rock, or quasi-rock music. 

Edited by Logan - June 07 2010 at 14:32
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 14:28
I think it makes sense to add it to the ST discography. Big Blue Ball by
Peter Gabriel a good example
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 14:37
There are lots of examples such as this Cale/Riley collaboration added under Cale since Riley is not in, though, not surprisingly, I support Riley for PA:

John Cale Church of Anthrax (with Terry Riley) album cover
4.52 | 3 ratings | 2 reviews | 67% 5 stars
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 14:51
Anyway Paravion, if it was wasn't clear, go right ahead and add it.  I should have moved this topic from Suggest New Bands immediately since you're not proposing a band and merely asking about an album addition (but I was hoping to discuss Pierre Henry a bit with you in the context of an artist suggestion, so I selfishly left it in this forum).  I will move it now.

It's not uncommon for appropriate albums to be missed when bands are added and of course PA was designed so that any member can add appropriate albums, and this is an appropriate addition.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 16:07
it has been added now. I wasn't aware you could just do that. 
@logan.
I would like to talk Pierre Henry with you, but Ceremony is the only work I know by him (yet). I've done a quick internet research, and his work seems interesting.. 
As with Stockhausen - I think I have to wait till I get older though.

Edited by Paravion - June 07 2010 at 16:10
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

it has been added now. I wasn't aware you could just do that. 
@logan.
I would like to talk Pierre Henry with you, but Ceremony is the only work I know by him (yet). I've done a quick internet research, and his work seems interesting.. 
As with Stockhausen - I think I have to wait till I get older though.

Paradise Lost (with Urban Sax) would be a great starting point for many at PA, I think.  I've really liked that album for a long time.

Funny thing with Stochausen, Xenakis etc. is that I've generally found young/ younger audiences to be much more enthusiastic about the music (or sat least interested in it or intrigued by it) than people of my generation and older (at least from what I've seen at PA).  I'm inclined to say the same of more avant-garde music generally.  Younger minds tend to be more agile and open to new things (as well as more creative), whereas older minds tend to be more stuck in their ways, and unless they were exposed to such music when they were younger, it can be hard for many to adjust and adapt to the experience. Of course that's not necessarily the case. Many/ most of us pass through stages of musical appreciation as we age (one kind of music leads to another and so on -- each one a stepping stone to other passions).  There is music I like now that I don't think I would be have been able to appreciate as much as when I was younger because I was not quite ready on my musical journey (I've never actually really noticed that effect, but it seems to make sense for my musical evolution).
 Post Reply Post Reply