CEREMONY (FEAT. PIERRE HENRY)

Spooky Tooth

- Luther Grosvenor / guitars
- Mike Harrison / vocals, keyboards
- Andy Leigh / bass, guitar
- Mike Kellie / drums and percussion

LP Island Records ILPS 9107 (1969, UK)
LP A&M Records SP4225 (1969, US)
LP Philips 849 512 BY (1969, France)
LP Fontana 6444540 (1969, France)

LP Island Records 849 512 (1970, Italy)
LP Philips 6313 154 (1972, France)
CD Mantra Records Mantra 017 (1994, France)
CD Minority Records Minor 271 (2006, France)
CD Universal International UICY-93503 (2008, Japan)
CD Esoteric Recordings ECLEC 2133 (2009, UK)

Thanks to paravion for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

SPOOKY TOOTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPOOKY TOOTH Ceremony (Feat. Pierre Henry) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only YesterdayThe Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only Yesterday
Remastered
A&M 1999
Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974
Import · Remastered
Esoteric 2009
MirrorMirror
Spooky TwoSpooky Two
Last PuffLast Puff
Imports 2016
You Broke My Heart So...I Busted Your JawYou Broke My Heart So...I Busted Your Jaw
The Best Of Spooky Tooth - Spooky ToothThe Best Of Spooky Tooth - Spooky Tooth
spectrum 2016
It's All AboutIt's All About
WitnessWitness
Imports 2016

More places to buy SPOOKY TOOTH music online Buy SPOOKY TOOTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SPOOKY TOOTH Ceremony (Feat. Pierre Henry) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(17%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

SPOOKY TOOTH Ceremony (Feat. Pierre Henry) reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars The first time that I listened to this album was in the late seventies in an AM Radio station's broadcast . That AM radio station from my city was called "Radio Capital" (I don't know if it still exists) and it had a then famous radio programme called "Vibraciones", which some days of the week broadcasted some albums by some bands at night.

For this album, the original bassist of the band Greg Ridley (who went to form HUMBLE PIE) was replaced by Andy Leigh. The album's full title is "Ceremony - An Electronic Mass", and it was released as a collaboration by SPOOKY TOOTH / PIERRE HENRY, but in France it was credited as being an album by "PIERRE HENRY AVEC SPOOKY TOOTH".

This is an Experimental / Avant Garde / Rock Music collaboration between French Electronic Music composer PIERRE HENRY and the English Rock band SPOOKY TOOTH. I don't know how this collaboration was agreed and done, but it really sounds more like HENRY recorded his electronic music parts after the band recorded their musical parts. It really gives the impression that both parts were recorded separatedly and later mixed together song by song, which each song credited to be composed by HENRY with GARY WRIGHT (the main composer in the band). The sound mixing in my opinion is not very good, because HENRY's parts are more at the front of the mixing, and the music of the band is more in the background, with HENRY's parts sometimes sounding more like "interferences" to the band's music. This album has very good musical parts played by the band with the added electronic effects, noises and voices by HENRY. But, as a whole, it really wasn't a very successful collaboration. It has some interesting musical parts, but, as WRIGHT said in one interview, it really wasn't an album done in SPOOKY TOOTH's typical musical style, and it wasn't considered by him and the band as a SPOOKY TOOTH album, but the record label anyway wanted to release it as an album by SPOOKY TOOTH with PIERRE HENRY, against the band's wishes

Considered by Wright as a "failure" that "ended our career then", I think that this album has some interesting moments, even if I am not very much a fan of Experimental / Avant Garde music. Wright and Leigh left the band after this album was released, and the remianing members of the band (Grosvenor, Harrison and Kellie) remained together for a short time to record their next album titled "The Last Puff" (1970).

4 stars This is often one of the most maligned album in the Spooky Tooth discography, probably because the combination of avant garde composer Pierre Henry with Spooky Tooth is regarded as a mismatch, much like Lou Red and Metallica decades later and the maligned Lulu in 2011. One listen to Ceremony and ... (read more)

Report this review (#1196446) | Posted by Progfan97402 | Saturday, June 21, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SPOOKY TOOTH "Ceremony (Feat. Pierre Henry)"