Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 356357358
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 19:16
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

That looks Like an incredible list.

Goblin I’m definitely the most familiar with having a good 21 albums from them.
The Locanda album I have, but the rest of these artists on here I have never heard.
I’ll keep this list in mind. :)
I get in exploratory moods.

I tried to mix it up in styles with that selection.

What's funny is if you listen to the first riff of the first track from Blocco Mentale - Capita (1973) and then listen to King Crimson The Great Deceiver (from Starless and Bible Black 1974).  It makes you wonder if King Crimson went to Italy for their inspirations :) (tongue in cheek).

Chicken or Egg regards.

The RPI well of talent certainly runs deep. I wouldn’t be surprised if the genre has influenced a lot of the classics.

Also I should note that I have heard of Logos.
They’re pretty amazing as well. Really enjoyed “ The Enigma of Life. “
It is a serious heavy hitter.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 03:16
Originally posted by emisan emisan wrote:

LogoS and La Maschera Di Cera.
Outstanding bands in modern RPI.
Both have 2020 releases. 5-stars albums for me.

I want to get the new La Maschera Di Cera album.

Been hearing such incredible things about them here on the Archives. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Are there very many modern Italianprog bands?

Totally agree with the above recommendations! You can't go wrong swimming in this deep pool! 

I would like to personally recommend the amazing Rocky's Filj

Check out these links

Edited by Todd - November 05 2020 at 11:51
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 16:55
Hey amici, if you collect vinyl you need to keep an eye on this label:

They are reissuing some classics from the master tapes with exquisite detail to the packaging. The Vinyl Magic and Ricordi / De Agostini Prog Rock Italiano LPs that have been released over the last few years are sourced from CDs and don't sound nearly as good. Find these! I have Ys and it sounds fabulous! I have Locanda delle Fate on order from Wayside in the US. 

Man I sure hope they do Rocky's Filj! I have an original Italian LP but I would love one that sounds cleaner with analog sources. The others I really hope they do are Jumbo DNA (same story as the Filj), Procession s/t (those go for 1k for an original... way too much for me!), and De De Lind (same story as Procession). The other classic LPs are available either in late 70s issues (especially the Big 3) or 80s Japanese pressings, which also used analog sources, all much more affordable than original pressings.

Speaking of De Agostini, have you seen this

It's a release by Nuova Idea, originally from 1976, just now seeing the light of day! I love this band, especially Clowns and Mister E Jones.

Here's a link to hear one song.

I have mine on order from an Italian seller, should be delivered this week! 
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 20:01
I just got Area's Arbeit Macht Frei and listened to it for the first time.

Spectacular!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 20:31
I got all 4 The Rome Pro(g)ject albums and I am speechless. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 23:41
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Spectacular!

First couple of listens my brain had to adjust to the vocals because they're incredible.

I think the title track has my favorite vocal lines and melodies; it all rules, though! I have them all stuck in my head and I have absolutely no idea if I'm even pronouncing or saying the correct words; THAT'S the power of music right there!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 12:51
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Spectacular!

First couple of listens my brain had to adjust to the vocals because they're incredible.

I think the title track has my favorite vocal lines and melodies; it all rules, though! I have them all stuck in my head and I have absolutely no idea if I'm even pronouncing or saying the correct words; THAT'S the power of music right there!

I felt like I could viscerally understand the meaning of the songs despite my extremely poor Italian, lol. Truly wonderful vocalist.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 08:09
Relatively new to Appreciation of Italian prog. But thanks to this thread, I’m finding a vast range of bands albums...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2021 at 12:51
Great Bandcamp Daily feature on modern Italian prog, with lots of excellent suggestions: https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/italian-prog-list?utm_source=notification
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2021 at 15:22
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Great Bandcamp Daily feature on modern Italian prog, with lots of excellent suggestions: https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/italian-prog-list?utm_source=notification

Great catch, Raffaella! Well worth the read & listen--the author(s) seem to know their stuff!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 356357358