Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVeteran of Prog/Power Metal and need some help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 16:20
He was looking for bands from the past 4 or 5 years or so.  Being a 25-year veteran of power metal I was pretty certain he would be familiar with Savatage, Epica, and Nightwish.  I figured Jon Oliva's Pain might be less well-known but that he would probably be familiar with them too. 

Admittedly, when it comes for asking for suggestions and giving suggestions it is always pretty difficult to mention every single band that each party is familiar with.  Hence my suggestions like Blind Guardian or Shadow Gallery.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 16:21
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

oh ohoh and you might want to check out norwegian prog metal/power metal gods. Pagans Mind, thye are awesome and you will enjoy them 
OP mentioned them in his original post.  I've only heard a handful of songs from them, but I like what I have heard.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 16:23
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

oh ohoh and you might want to check out norwegian prog metal/power metal gods. Pagans Mind, thye are awesome and you will enjoy them 
OP mentioned them in his original post.  I've only heard a handful of songs from them, but I like what I have heard.
oh, i like what i have heard also, and im certain i read the OP but probably not that good Embarrassed
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 16:25

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

oh, i like what i have heard also, and im certain i read the OP but probably not that good Embarrassed
That's alright.  He mentioned Pathosray too, and I had them as one of my suggestions. EmbarrassedLOL
Woody View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 16:52
Savatage "Hall of the Mountain King" is a classic!!! I have all of Olivas material as well. Pagan's Mind are monsters and one of my favs from the past 6-7 yrs as well. You might want to check out Oracle "As Darkness Reigns", released on Massacre Records back in 1994 or so....killer Melodic Prog Metal with William Wren on vox(Mystic Force Man vs Machine). Digital Ruin is also a good one and I managed a band from N.Y. called Twilight Kingdom, the album is titled "Adze"...very good Prog Metal as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12