Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuggestion/ Recomedations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion/ Recomedations
    Posted: March 03 2012 at 12:03
Hey guys, I'm looking for any band recommendations or essential artists I may be missing in my collection. My favorite bands are Pink Floyd (before you ask i have literally everything there is to have from p floyd), Caravan, ELP, King Crimson (everything before the 80's), Camel, Soft Machine, Jethro Tull (love TAAB), and Gong (specifically "You"). Other bands i have are Yes (although i think their a tad overrated), VDGG (still trying to get into them, so far I only like God Bluff). I don't like Genesis from what I've heard. And some bands i have been meaning to listen to are Magma and Gentle Giant, where should i start with them? So that's it, any suggestions?? Big smile

Edited by pfloyd - March 03 2012 at 12:05
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 12:19
Bands in a similar vein to P Floyd include early Porcupine Tree and RPWL.  You might also find a band like Mostly Autumn interesting.  They started as a prog folk band and have moved towards a heavier sound.  They did do a Pink Floyd Revisited album though, that you may or may not find of interest.
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 12:38
nice avatar, brewers fan?

I'm definitely gonna look into Porcupine tree, I've heard good things. What is RPWL?

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 12:59
Nope.  Fan of Fielder's new team.

RPWL is a band from Germany that got their start as a Pink Floyd cover band.  They have released 5 or 6 albums of original material.  They have their own sound but the Pink Floyd influence is there.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 13:12
Here is a link to Youtube, which has a RPWL mix of about 25 videos that you can check out if you are interested.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlsGHSRJ8XM&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXep0OO8qRyx07TQJsv50bL1
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 15:46
Have you checked the rest of the Canterbury Scene? Hatfield & the North are a must, both albums, with Richard Sinclair and the great Dave Stewart on keys. 
Also, Khan's Space Shanty is a must. Picchio dal Pozzo's debut. And why not, National Health.

I think every progger should listen to the classics, so listen to Selling England by the Pound on YouTube or somewhere, and see if you like it. My personal fave Genesis album is Trespass, a very pastoral album, not really complex, but lovely mainly acoustic long songs.

Gentle Giant? The best entry for them, in my opinion, is their classic Octopus. It sounds weird at first, but you'll get accustomed, I think. If not, Free Hand or Three Friends are also good starters.

Magma? M.D.K. is for me unbelievable. I listen to it if it were an opera, great minimalist structures, mindblowing complex rhythm and vocals, ecstatic and dark moments. Yes, it's a hard ride. If not, K.A. from 2005 (I think) is usually an easier way for proggers.

If you like a bit of jazz fusion, which you seem to do, cause Soft Machine, King Crimson and Camel do have their jazzy moments, there are tons of bands you could check. Just a short list: Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra, Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever, Unorthodox Behaviour by Brand X, One of a Kind by Bruford, Gong's Gazeuse. That will probably appeal to many prog fans.

If you're interested in checking some contemporary prog, accessible albums: Space Revolver by The Flower Kings, SMPTe by Transatlantic, Sleeping on Traffic (part 2) by Beardfish, Not as Good as the Book by The Tangent, The Light by Spock's Beard. Then, Part the Second by Maudlin of the Well is free for download, it's a very inventive take on Prog.

Stuff you might also be interested: the Italian scene from the 70s, inspired by Crimson, ELP and Genesis mainly, they did some really classic albums that are often forgotten by proggers. 

Ok, you might as well not read all this, cause you will lose a lot of money haha. Hope that helped.
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 18:13
Thanks, this should keep me busy for a while. I thinking I'm gonna check out more Canterbury bands cause i absolutely love the style of soft machine and caravan. Which albums by National health would you recommend? and i guess I'll give genesis another shot, I'll let you know what i think.

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 19:15
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

Thanks, this should keep me busy for a while. I thinking I'm gonna check out more Canterbury bands cause i absolutely love the style of soft machine and caravan. Which albums by National health would you recommend? and i guess I'll give genesis another shot, I'll let you know what i think.

Either the debut or Of Queues and Cures, they're equally awesome. Have a peek:

Personally, I prefer the debut because of the female vocals that are from Hatfield & the North. 
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 19:34
You should try Night by Gazpacho.
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 16:36
well so far i reallllllly like GG. Glass house is awesome.

Magma on the other hand, i just don't get.

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 17:32
Hey,
I second Octopus for sure
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 08:32
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

Magma on the other hand, i just don't get.

Keep trying occasionally with Magma, they just might take a while. Smile

Welcome BTW. 

Edited by irrelevant - March 06 2012 at 08:33
 Post Reply Post Reply