Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Sabbath and unusual time signatures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 01:36
All I can say is that Bill Ward abso-fecking-lutely SWINGS !! No-one comes close....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 17:06
Bill's awesome. One of the best drummers of the '70s, that's for certain.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 03:28
Symptom Of The Universe has a fabulous jazz coda.

Tony Iommi took a lot of Sabbath music from jazz; the harmony is extracted from jazz. he was a Joe Pass nut - quite understandable of course. A touch of volume, detuning, power chording and the Sabbath appeared.

Some of their earlier material - the EP that predates the first album is an odd mix of jazz and metal e.g. The Rebel. Surprised it did not appear as a bonus on the deluxe edition of the first album. The trumpets were brave... Imagine classic Sabbath with a brass section. Probably a good idea to not release it.

I have a bootleg from somewhere in Germany of their early jazz period. No discernible Ozzy vox but that was the nascent Sabbath.

Geezer's bass style is very jazz. And how about that ol' crooner Bill Ward on It's Alright. Quite the influence on Tony Bennett. And as for Iommi's jazzy acoustic guitar solos; it's this harmony that gives him this distinction.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 14:04
I worked with Bill Ward (in his personal management company) during his Ward One: Along the Way recording, in 1989 (released in 1990) which became quite progressive, in my opinion.  According to Bill, the BS boys liked to play jazz to warm up for rehearsals (of course, he's not playing with them right now).  And it is correct that he had a grounding in jazz drumming, as did many of his era.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 15:30
"Air Dance", say no more

I actually discovered it through PA.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 15:34
Bill Ward always had a certain looseness and swing that you didn't hear much in rock. And you can hear the influence in unexpected places sometimes. For sure Jussi Tegelman of Finnforest was digging Bill's groove.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 07:07
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

"Air Dance", say no more

I actually discovered it through PA.

Exactly. The first thing that popped into my head.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 06:43
Odd time signatures don't make something "prog". 

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 14:18
We covered their favourite tune with my band and turned one 4/4 section into a 7/8 one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12