FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite Punk albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 14:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Some of this may be questionable and sorry for not being very diverse.

My mentioning the "diverse" is just to point at different sub-genre possibilities, it's not meant as a requirement. Smile

Edited by David_D - April 24 2022 at 05:04
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 11:38
green day - american idiot.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 10:36
I love lots of more experimental post-punk music and art punk. I love thinks deemed proto-punk and punk proper (The Velvet Underground, The Stooges...). Some of this may be questionable and sorry for not being very diverse.

Bauhaus - In the Flat Field (Gothic Rock Post-Punk)
Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want (Noise Industrial Rock, Art Punk)
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Let Love In (Alternative Rock. Post-Punk)
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (Post-Punk, Gothic Rock)
Melt-Banana - Cell-Scape (Noise Rock, Hardcore Punk)
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance (Post-Punk, Experimental Rock)
Phew - Phew (Post-Punk, Experimental Rock)
PiL - Metal Box (Post-Punk, Experimental Rock)
Iggy Pop - The Idiot (Art Rock, Post-Punk)
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (Indie Pop, Post-Punk)
Television - Marquee Moon (Art Punk, Art Rock...)
This Heat - Deceit (Experimental Rock, Post-Punk)
Xiu Xiu - Knife Play (Experimental Rock, Synth Punk)

I've seen an album like The Cure's Disintegration, which I love, described as Post-Punk, but while it intersects with punk, it isn't how I think of it.   Many of my favourite bands and artists have had punk elements and been influenced by punk, such as Swans and Cardiacs and Jon Zorn as well as the mentioned This Heat, which I don't think of as that punk). I did a punk appreciation topic: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122918 Ended up having to moderate myself, hide a couple of my posts and for penance punish my ears with painful punky Crunk for having channeled my inner punk too much. If only it was so easy to channel my inner genius....
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 09:42
Does this qualify as DIVERSE ?  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 09:34
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

This is as punk as anything if you ask me.
(...)

Sonically, maybe/yes.
Spiritually not likely.
Attitude-wise , no
Lyrics-wise, not a chance.

OK I have exaggerated... I mean as punk as what most seem to call punk here.
Anyway, for sure ADII had a similar anti-establishment attitude as the punks later. Also in the early days they were very inclusive, everybody who could hold an instrument could be a musician. It's true that ADII was the core of the more ambitious musicians of the original Amon Duul and some of them became quite good over time, but on the first albums lack of technical professionalism surely still shows, and that was not an accident; they were still well connected to their anarchist roots (in fact you can still hear this even on their 2010 album); music was fun and a group experience rather than something that required sophisticated education and training. Lyrics-wise I'm with you, and of course 20 minute improvisations are not a punk thing (for which reason I chose that song).

Oh yes, Amon Duul was first an ani-establishment hippy commune that started to play mlusic and then split up into two faction: ADI "played" polit rock, wanting to create a new future (while the punk yelled 'no future'), while AD2 went psychedlic. 

I view UK Punk as a reaction to a social gvt (the UK were dominated by labour in the 70's - with the communists getting a sensible share of the votes), albeit understandable, because the country was politcally & economically blocked.  The punks wanted opportunity (find their place in the sun), and I'm relatively certain that a lot of them voted Tory (Paul Weller of The Jam certainly admitted to it), maybe even fascist. You got to remember that a lot of punk-followers were middle class playing bad dudes with money to spend (on clothes, notably - Westwood/McLaren shops) - not unemployement kids sharing the slums with the immigrants.
What they probably didn't bargain for, is the Maggie Bitcher shock, though.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 23 2022 at 09:34
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 04:09

While my list here is growing and growing. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 03:26

(...)

Sonically, maybe/yes.
Spiritually not likely.
Attitude-wise , no

OK I have exaggerated... I mean as punk as what most seem to call punk here.
Anyway, for sure ADII had a similar anti-establishment attitude as the punks later. Also in the early days they were very inclusive, everybody who could hold an instrument could be a musician. It's true that ADII was the core of the more ambitious musicians of the original Amon Duul and some of them became quite good over time, but on the first albums lack of technical professionalism surely still shows, and that was not an accident; they were still well connected to their anarchist roots (in fact you can still hear this even on their 2010 album); music was fun and a group experience rather than something that required sophisticated education and training. Lyrics-wise I'm with you, and of course 20 minute improvisations are not a punk thing (for which reason I chose that song).
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 01:53

Sonically, maybe/yes.
Spiritually not likely.
Attitude-wise , no

Does that mean, you won't consider it as a part of Proto-Punk? 

Edited by David_D - April 23 2022 at 01:54
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 01:44

Sonically, maybe/yes.
Spiritually not likely.
Attitude-wise , no

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 01:24

It could be maybe considered as a part of Proto-Punk (there's more of this stuff on Yeti). That would be very interesting.

Edited by David_D - April 23 2022 at 02:29
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2022 at 00:48

@Nick: I'm not too obsessed with label definitions really, even though I admit that my posting reads differently. The first sentence I wrote was fun to write, but I'm not too invested in it. I see it like that indeed, but to me it isn't very important whether others see it differently. At the time we (people around me and the media I followed) didn't count these bands into punk, rather they had taken up the punk influence to do something different. Also some musicians said so in interviews. For me personally punk is quite specific, not an overarching supercategory as prog, let alone rock. This was the attitude I got at the time, but I was quite young and my horizon may have been limited. At the end of the day there is not more objective truth in it than in what you say, so fair enough. Ultimately all music is what it is, whether it is called this or that is secondary.

Oh, don’t worry (not that you were), as I wasn’t having a go at you. And I could say the same too, as I am not at all bothered by label definitions, though my post, too, probably reads differently. I have long maintained that the only genres of music that matter to me are “music I like”, “music I don’t like”, and “music I haven’t listened to yet”. At a push, I would also add a sub-genre to “music I don’t like” called “music I don’t like yet”.

I’m really kind of excited for how music will be viewed in the future - as based on my children and their friends, who have grown up in a time when music from any time, place or genre is pretty much instantly accessible, the idea of genre has so little relevance to their listening habits as to be almost meaningless. If I asked them what punk was, I expect I would be met with blank stares - despite much of the music they listen to being punk of some kind or another. (One of my ten year old son’s favourite bands is The Offspring.)

That might seem unbelievable to many of you, but I know from experience that despite them listening to metal and to hip hop, my twelve year old daughter had never heard of either term, despite listening to music from both those genres. If I couldn’t have given a definition of a genre by the age of ten (and probably younger that that), I could have at least given an example of a band or artist who was metal, hip hop, soul, folk, etc. I was familiar with the genres, because they were used to describe the music more overtly and often. While genres can still be used when streaming, they are not as necessary and can easily be overlooked or ignored.

I love that my children listen to anything without prejudice. There is no such thing as a guilty pleasure, and I doubt that would ever occur to them. They listen to music from everything from the ‘60s to today, from pretty much every genre. I don’t know how they come across a lot of it, but I guess it’s down to algorithms. But they consume and enjoy it all. Everything. I sincerely hope this is the future of music listening, because so many people get too bound by genre, and to caught up in labels.

The problem with any genre or label, be it prog or punk of whatever, is that music does not exist in a vacuum. It continues to change and evolve over time. Attempting to define music of one era by the standards of a previous one simply doesn’t work. This is something Pedro often complains about, and as annoying as it might be for some people to concede, he is right. What is or isn’t part of any particular genre is almost entirely subjective. There may well be some bands and artists that are universally agreed upon to be part of a genre - and they are nearly always those who existed when the genre was first applied. But that application is almost in retrospect, and that’s something else to remember. The signifer almost always comes after the signified. We apply a definition to something that already was, and then attempt to ascribe that same definition forever forward. It’s never going to work, and always going to cause arguements.

The last line of your post is the most important: all music is what it is, whether it is called this or that. And that’s how my children listen to music, and I think that’s great. 🤗

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 17:21
Diverse Punk? The band that comes immediately to mind is the Pogues.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 17:12
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Well, the way I met Punk in the age of 20, Never Mind the Bullocks... is the very core of it.

But things are changing all the time, and I think that today it's best to label Never Mind the Bullocks... as Punk Rock, a sub-genre of "Punk", and with for instance Post-Punk as another sub-genre.

Edited by David_D - April 22 2022 at 17:18
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 16:30

Well, the way I met Punk in the age of 20, Never Mind the Bullocks... is the very core of it.

Edited by David_D - April 22 2022 at 17:14
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 15:59
There's not much regular punk in my collection (partly because I am often bored with anything "stylistically pure"), but quite a lot of albums that I listen to regularly have a touch of punk in them some way.

Edited by The Anders - April 22 2022 at 16:04
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 15:52

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 15:02

Thanks for this little "Punk" discussion, as I've used it to clarify further my own point of view. It inspired me also to
have a closer look at the different sub-genres, which made me to discover a couple more albums in my collection
considered to be a part of "Punk", so my own list has grown a bit and to include more sub-genres - and I like that 
for the sake of diversity. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 14:25
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Dead Kennedys   "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables"
Black Flag   "Damaged"
Circle Jerks   "Wild in the Streets"
early Meat Puppets
Germs   "Everything We Do is Secret"
Ramones   "Leave Home"
Iggy Pop
PIL "Metal Box"
Husker Du   "land Speed Record"
Angry Samoans "Back from Samoa"
The Dickies
DEVO    "Duty Now for the Future"
Green Day   "Dookie"
and more

great  Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 13:54
By the way, Comsat Angels can never be played too much.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 13:49
@Nick: I'm not too obsessed with label definitions really, even though I admit that my posting reads differently. The first sentence I wrote was fun to write, but I'm not too invested in it. I see it like that indeed, but to me it isn't very important whether others see it differently. At the time we (people around me and the media I followed) didn't count these bands into punk, rather they had taken up the punk influence to do something different. Also some musicians said so in interviews. For me personally punk is quite specific, not an overarching supercategory as prog, let alone rock. This was the attitude I got at the time, but I was quite young and my horizon may have been limited. At the end of the day there is not more objective truth in it than in what you say, so fair enough. Ultimately all music is what it is, whether it is called this or that is secondary.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>