Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite Punk albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 02:04
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Just for variety, some fine hardcore punk albums I love from the 80s:

great
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 03:18
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The Jam - The Gift (maybe not really punk anymore by that time)

I would argue that The Jam were never true punk, but if they were they stopped being it from All Mod Cons.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 05:55
I have little liking for the period, but Joy Division's Closer is at least worth mentioning.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 07:15
As for true punk I've hardly even got a favorite album. But I see lots of stuff I like being posted here by others, that mostly fit better in New Wave/Goth-rock/hardcore and everything else often thought of as post-punk. Love tons of that stuff. But I feel more like posting a few "punky" songs from albums I generally enjoy that rarely gets a mention:

These guys were great, wether under the Athletico Spizz, Spizzenergi (etc..)-moniker

Lara Logic was way better without the X-Ray Specs

Their early stuff is all wonderful

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 07:36
Here's an attempt at making a list of my favourite "punk" albums, but most of it is more like proto punk, post punk, new wave or just musically related to punk in some way.

The Velvet Underground: The Velvet Underground and Nico + White Light White Heat
Iggy Pop: Raw Power + The Idiot + Lust For Life
The Shaggs: Philosophy of the World
Philemon Arthur and the Dung: Philemon Arthur and the Dung
Television: Marquee Moon
The Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
Talking Heads: More Songs About Buildings and Food + Fear of Music + Remain in Light
The Police: Zenyatta Mondatta + Synchronicity
The Clash: The Clash + London Calling + Sandinista!
Sods: Minutes to Go
Kliché: Supertanker + Okay Okay Boys
Sort Sol: Everything That Rises Must Converge + Flow My Firetear
Idles: Brutalism
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 08:39
If punk (or metal for that matter) wanted to be loved by me, it should sound like this album:

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 09:09
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Here's an attempt at making a list of my favourite "punk" albums, but most of it is more like proto punk, post punk, new wave or just musically related to punk in some way.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this attempt. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 10:17
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

This is as punk as anything if you ask me.

Sonically, maybe/yes.
Spiritually not likely.
Attitude-wise , no
Lyrics-wise, not a chance.

That's why anything "protopunk" is so much more fun than just plain punk. Can had their more punk than punk moment in 1969

Here's the ultimate protopunk-tune - from 1966... and it's another "no" Lyrics-wise.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 14:44
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>Another book, with much relevance for the American Punk in the 80's, is 
<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>Our Band Could Be Your Life. Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991 (2001) by Michael Azerrad.
<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>It consists of very extensive profiles of 13 bands, including Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, Minor Threat, Fugazi, The Minutemen 
<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>and Mission of Burma.
very good book. Plenty to quibble about which bands were included (I’d think Dead Kennedys/Alternative Tentacles label would be a no-brainer, for example) but he covers what he chose to cover very well. And using the first 2 SST bands (Black Flag & Minutemen) as the initial “big bang” is as good a focal point as any. I applaud the care the author took covering the topic, and spending a lot of time on a few bands rather than trying to cover all of them.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 25 2022 at 14:47
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 10:08
Years ago I got really into the Ramones' first 4 albums, and they remain some of my favorite albums to this day (don't care for anything they've done afterwards). Once every few years they're all I listen to for like a week or two and then I get burned out on them. Outside of that the only punk album in my collection is The Offspring's Ixnay on the Hombre. A very fun pop punk album. I'm planning to get some Fugazi CDs in the near-future though.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 13:10

If punk (or metal for that matter) wanted to be loved by me, it should sound like this album:

One more discovery in my collection of what on RYM is considered to be a Punk album:
Shellac  (USA)  -  At Action Park  (Post-Hardcore, 1994)

What do you think of that, Lewian?
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 16:54
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

Years ago I got really into the Ramones' first 4 albums, and they remain some of my favorite albums to this day (don't care for anything they've done afterwards). Once every few years they're all I listen to for like a week or two and then I get burned out on them. Outside of that the only punk album in my collection is The Offspring's Ixnay on the Hombre. A very fun pop punk album. I'm planning to get some Fugazi CDs in the near-future though.

Fugazi's Repeater is something quite else than The Ramones and Pop Punk. Smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 04:31

Actually, this album is very interesting in relation to Progressive Rock, as it can be also labeled "Math Rock", and thus is 
an exmple of the closeness and even commonship that can be found between some of Punk and Prog. Star

Edited by David_D - April 30 2022 at 05:59
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 09:36
Do the Buzzcocks apply?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 09:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Do the Buzzcocks apply?

Their early albums are classified as Punk Rock on RYM (and highly rated).

Edited by David_D - April 30 2022 at 09:59
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 09:59
Nothing to see here. Wink

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 10:21

Knowing me, knowing you. Smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 16:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Nothing to see here. Wink

But what do you mean?
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 16:59

Nowa Aleksandria by Siekiera
Post-Punk/Cold Wave, Poland, 1986

Edited by Tuzvihar - April 30 2022 at 17:02
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 14:27
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

One more discovery in my collection of what on RYM is considered to be a Punk album:

What do you think of that, Lewian?

Didn't know that one but like it a lot, thanks for pointing me to it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>