Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bands that could have been successful, but weren't
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that could have been successful, but weren't

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 17:48
interesting.. they only did two tours of England in that time frame and the biggest venue they played was in London. The Hammersmith Odeon. They were not playing stadiums.. not even close to it...but small theaters

and max capacity there IRC was 5k...  think your book writer drank a bit too much of the Rush cool aid as Rush fans are apt to do.Beer

Edited by micky - July 25 2020 at 17:49
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 17:58
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

interesting.. they only did two tours of England in that time frame and the biggest venue they played was in London. The Hammersmith Odeon. They were not playing stadiums.. not even close to it...but small theaters

and max capacity there IRC was 5k...  think your book writer drank a bit too much of the Rush cool aid as Rush fans are apt to do.Beer

LOL

Well, just by the charts alone you can see they were as big in the UK as the US. I am still looking for that page and I could be a bit off. I might have to read the whole damn book all over again. Tongue
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 04:19
I was actually talking about Rush's chart positions when I said they weren't that popular in Britain, it's clear they have their share of mad fans from just looking at this site. The only period they got close to large scale success in the early 80s, and that was about level with the success of old Genesis in the UK - and I saw a post that lamented that old Genesis should have been much more successful.
This is from the OCC:
Rush Album:                            UK Chart Position:
Rush                                       ~
Fly by Night                             ~
Caress of Steel                         ~
2112                                       ~
A Farewell to Kings                   22
Hemispheres                            14
Permanent Waves                     3
Moving Pictures                        3
Signals                                     3
Grace Under Pressure                5
Power Windows                        9
Hold Your Fire                          10
Presto                                     27
Roll the Bones                          10
Counterparts                            14
Test for Echo                            25
Vapour Trails                            38
Snakes and Arrows                    13
Clockwork Angels                      21
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 08:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

LOL

Well, just by the charts alone you can see they were as big in the UK as the US. I am still looking for that page and I could be a bit off. I might have to read the whole damn book all over again. Tongue

big of course being relative... ie they weren't...  in either country... they were successful though.. they grew an audience over their albums..from literally none prior to 2112... at that point in the late 70's they were a cult band. A small but fanatical fanbase..until they hit the big time in the 80's with AOR albums and getting their mugs onto MTV  ..that is when they became big 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:27
Disco Inferno never found commercial success only releasing 3 albums (actually they're a band I know that have more EPs than albums...) but they were a seminal band in the early post-rock scene.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:47
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Someone mentioned Asia....I think that the GTR "supergroup" also sputtered out quickly, after much initial fanfare.  I guess there was quite a bit of tension between Howe and Hackett.

And the critics hated them.
The critics had a point. I got that album out of a bargain for £1.25 and I was robbed.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:53

I was actually talking about Rush's chart positions when I said they weren't that popular in Britain, it's clear they have their share of mad fans from just looking at this site. The only period they got close to large scale success in the early 80s, and that was about level with the success of old Genesis in the UK - and I saw a post that lamented that old Genesis should have been much more successful.
This is from the OCC:
Rush Album:                            UK Chart Position:
Rush                                       ~
Fly by Night                             ~
Caress of Steel                         ~
2112                                       ~
A Farewell to Kings                   22
Hemispheres                            14
Permanent Waves                     3
Moving Pictures                        3
Signals                                     3
Grace Under Pressure                5
Power Windows                        9
Hold Your Fire                          10
Presto                                     27
Roll the Bones                          10
Counterparts                            14
Test for Echo                            25
Vapour Trails                            38
Snakes and Arrows                    13
Clockwork Angels                      21

Aside from a few in the later years I would say that's pretty big and bigger than most prog bands ever get. If that's not successful(or big) then we obviously have different defintions of what success is. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:56

LOL

big of course being relative... ie they weren't...  in either country... they were successful though.. they grew an audience over their albums..from literally none prior to 2112... at that point in the late 70's they were a cult band. A small but fanatical fanbase..until they hit the big time in the 80's with AOR albums and getting their mugs onto MTV  ..that is when they became big 

You too Micky? Really? Rush were never big? I guess Yes weren't either and neither were Genesis(as a prog band).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 26 2020 at 09:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 10:01

LOL

You too Micky? Really? Rush were never big? I guess Yes weren't either and neither were Genesis(as a prog band).

Oh wait. I think I see what you are saying. Well, in the late 70's they were starting to get big but they already were in Canada. 

But it's ok because we all have our own opinions anyway. A lot of Yes fans think Yes were huge but I say they never really were and it's arguable they were ever even big. Even in the 80's I remember the kids in high school all had U2, REM, Metallica, Iron Maiden t shirts but only one or two here and there had Yes t shirts.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 10:37

LOL

Oh wait. I think I see what you are saying. Well, in the late 70's they were starting to get big but they already were in Canada. 

But it's ok because we all have our own opinions anyway. A lot of Yes fans think Yes were huge but I say they never really were and it's arguable they were ever even big. Even in the 80's I remember the kids in high school all had U2, REM, Metallica, Iron Maiden t shirts but only one or two here and there had Yes t shirts.
Rush were one of the most successful prog bands. A successful prog band is not necessarily a successful band. Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:04

LOL

Rush were one of the most successful prog bands. A successful prog band is not necessarily a successful band. Wink

Yeah not successful. With the exception of The Rolling Stones, the Beatles and Aerosmith they have more consecutive gold and platinum albums than any band(prog or otherwise) with three of them being multiplatinum not to mention worldwide sales of over 40 million. You're right though. Not successful. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:34
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

Actually, I think if anything too many albums can dilute a band's career. If you look at Led Zeppelin or the Beatles they were huge but only had a decades worth of material(if that)in them. Even if you look at Queen or Pink Floyd and to some degree also the Doors and The Police their popularity is hinged upon 5 or 6 albums at the most. So ultimately it's about quality over quantity. As for the Stones they are known mainly for their 60's and 70's output. The same is True of the Kinks and the Who. Who really cares much about the 80's material(or later)by these bands? 

I suppose in this day and age sarcasm cannot be deployed without the requisite emoji. Wink 

I didn't see this reply until just now. Actually, I kind of figured you were being sarcastic and initially had a reply to reflect that but decided to play it straight anyway(as you did). ;)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:42

LOL

micky's right - Rush played the Hammy Odeon in September 1978. I was there and still have the ticket. Not sure of its capacity but I'm guessing a few thousand.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

LOL

micky's right - Rush played the Hammy Odeon in September 1978. I was there and still have the ticket. Not sure of its capacity but I'm guessing a few thousand.

Ok. Well, like I said if I come across the thing I was referring to then I will post it here. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:36
A Show of Hands was filmed at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, which holds around 15,000. That's not a "small venue."

On the Clockwork Angels tour, Rush played the Manchester Arena (capacity: 21,000) and other good-size venues.

As far as prog bands go...yeah, Rush is big.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:56
Yep, Rush played bigger venues later, but in around 1977/78, as had been referenced, they did not play such big venues. I looked it up before too, and it seemed the Hammersmith Odeon was the biggest venue of the period (I didn't examine every one) and it only holds about 5000 at maximum capacity, which is a very far cry from a 60, 000 seat venue as the book apparently has stated (for the Farewell to Kings tour, I guess).

If "Rush sold out three nights in a 60,000 seat venue in the UK in around 77/78" they certainly would have been huge.

Edited by Logan - July 26 2020 at 17:14
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 17:19
Yeah, they weren't as big in the U.K. for a few years. It took them Moving Pictures and Signals to move them up a few notches.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 17:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yep, Rush played bigger venues later, but in around 1977/78, as had been referenced, they did not play such big venues. I looked it up before too, and it seemed the Hammersmith Odeon was the biggest venue of the period (I didn't examine every one) and it only holds about 5000 at maximum capacity, which is a very far cry from a 60, 000 seat venue as the book apparently has stated (for the Farewell to Kings tour, I guess).

If "Rush sold out three nights in a 60,000 seat venue in the UK in around 77/78" they certainly would have been huge.

Listen, I admit I very well could have been wrong. Ok? Let's not beat a dead horse here. Again, when I find the reference I was thinking of I will post it. Let's move on from this.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 17:37
Sorry if I caused you offence. I make mistakes often, it's no big deal (except for when it is), I check them, then try to correct them. My memory is not what it was even a few years ago -- deteriorated quite badly. I only mentioned it because I thought verslibre might have not understood the context since he seemed to be referencing Micky's small theatres comment which referred to your recollection. Despite being such a confusing writer, I'm a big one for clarity, transparency and particularly context.

By the way, Rush did play an arena in London in I think about 1978. The London Gardens Arena in London, Ontario, Canada. It's not a very big hockey arena, though. Rush playing hockey arenas, how stereotypically Canadian, just add back-bacon, maple syrup and beer and an apology, eh?

Peace
- Greg the kooky Canuck.

Edited by Logan - July 26 2020 at 17:43
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 17:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

By the way, Rush did play an arena in London in I think about 1978. The London Gardens Arena in London, Ontario, Canada.

December 19, 1978
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>