Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes Relayer Steven Wilson Remix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 05:52
I'm more interested in hearing a GFTO remix
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 09:08
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

Not a bad idea then he can remix TFTO and edit out the filler and we might have a decent single album.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 10:46
Thanks so much Padraic. I found Handbrake, VLC, and a couple of others, none of which worked. But your find works perfectly. I already bought a copy. Smile
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 11:39
By the way, I would love for Steve Wilson to remix Tormato. The album is so compressed and tin-sounding. The music itself is, in my opinion, really good. But the production is terrible.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 12:29
Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

Thanks so much Padraic. I found Handbrake, VLC, and a couple of others, none of which worked. But your find works perfectly. I already bought a copy. Smile

Great, you're welcome.  Smile
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 13:10
I agree the Panegyric version of Relayer sounds murky. I bought the original when it was first released and I do not recall it sounding grungy at all. On the contrary, it was sharp.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 06:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Not a bad idea then he can remix TFTO and edit out the filler and we might have a decent single album.
Wink

Noooo. If he does, and he removes so much as 1 second, I will never forgive him.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 08:48
I heard the samples on the Yes YouTube channel and I love it.  I never
saw Relayer as a favorite Yes album, but after hearing this, I'm really looking forward
to the whole thing remixed. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 08:56
I think part of the problem is that this was an album that cried out for being re-mastered.
I just have a lot of memories of trying to listen to it on lps or tapes.   Then again, sometimes
it's nice to skip over something to enjoy it fresh at a later time with all our attention. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 09:25

I was thinking that the GTO's remix would be much more interesting. Of course, it needs to be sexier, too!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 09:30
^There's no sex in prog! Didn't you get the memo?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 09:37

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ When KC first came out I did not get it at all, I was too young, Schizoid was cool because of the metal sound, distorted and all that. The rest of the album made no sense.......Flash forward a long time and I have only begun to appreciate KC in the past 10yrs. Pulling that album out 10-15yrs ago I knew something was not right with the recording.

Then reading about how the tape deck was not aligned well, creating a bad recording...You can't fix that. But SW did do a better job than any of the reissues before his. It allowed me to hear, feel the music much better, an understanding....The intricacies of what KC wa doing I was now hearing better.

I think I was lucky. Having heard so much classical music, and modern stuff, including Bartok, Russell, Orff and others, allowed me to hear something in the rock music that no one around me had, or knew about. Even in Brazil, the experimental classical music scene that eventually gave us Villa Lobos was quite different, than the norm and the standard "classics".

By the time I heard Sgt Peppers, Their Satanic Majesty's BS, Days of Future Passed, and all the way to KC, and several others, I was no longer afraid of the screaming guitar. Not to mention that at the time, you can hear Edgar Broughton Band, and many other smaller bands in London, doing the same thing, and LA had its batch, and NY, of course, had its batch in Iggy and even the Ramones, all of whom were getting some attention, but not in radio, or the top ten fascist choices.

hearing KC's first, to me, was just like hearing Fairport convention first time, or Amon Duul 2, or Can, and the only exception that scared me, was Tangerine Dream ... Mysterious Semblance for the Strand of Nightmares, gave me a loop and a half, and that was the last time any piece of music has been strange, weird, off the wall, and beyond my ability and imagination to hear it and get a feel for it.

I still do not have a good feel for some eastern music, some of which is really hard to get into because we are so tied up to a beat and a measure ... but all in all, the difference was what helped me decide this was great. PLUS, I knew what it was about ... no one could deny the epitath for one's friends that dies in the IRA thing, or VietNam, but these days, no one knows about the emotion that creates, and people are mostly de-sensitized to it. Saying it is almost ... bizarre and not possible. No one would write a rock'n'roll song for idiots that died kinda thing!

How times have changed. But we knew, then, that it was meaningful music. But you had to get off the "top ten" to get a feel for it, and I did. Most of my friends didn't!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 10:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think he was referring to the cover LOL
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 13:05

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think he was referring to the cover LOL

I don't think he ever heard it, or seen the movie!

For the record, the album is OK, but nothing to even bother wasting time discussing. At least one of the groupies does not sound very good, and is actually rude. The others are OK. As for singing and what not ... I find them better than 3 of the top 4 women singers in the top ten list! They might not look as "sexy" now as they did then, but we were not looking for dollies, either!

The movie is the real trip. It is not quite related to the album but it is a classic! One of a kind! And worth seeing for the record, not for any glaring historical significance.

Edited by moshkito - November 08 2014 at 14:01
www.pedrosena.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 01:18
Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

By the way, I would love for Steve Wilson to remix Tormato. (...)
A nice idea. And with a new artwork by Roger Dean, it would be just great.
Same with GFTO.

Edited by Svetonio - November 09 2014 at 01:19
JohnNicholson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 03:16
Though Wilson did great job with these remixes, I think that Going For the One would by far open some new grounds with 5.1 remix.
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 00:21
One Amazon review complains of a lack of low-end in this mix?
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 06:17
PLEASE DO NOT LET STEVE WILSON F**K UP ANOTHER GREAT PROG CLASSIC!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

PLEASE DO NOT LET STEVE WILSON F**K UP ANOTHER GREAT PROG CLASSIC!!

I honestly do not think that he is ruining any of them.

He's becoming just like any other "conductor" of an orchestra. Hs interpretation is not bad, good, or indifferent. It's just different, and so it seems.

You have to get off the right and wrong thing ... go listen to 5 different versions (conducted by different folks) of Stravinsky or Tchaikovsky, and you will know what I mean!

A lot of this rock music, has not had 100 years yet, and several different versions, for us to absorb, and us rock fans (specially here!!!) do not have a good enough appreciation and understanding of music to even say nice things about Steven's work. He's merely trying to bring out the things that in those days were done because of the tape, that otherwise, today, would be considered a poor mix.

He's not changing the music at all! And the "positioning" of this or that instrument a little further or closer to your ear, does not a song make! It's the same piece!

Edited by moshkito - November 18 2014 at 11:07
www.pedrosena.com
Grimjack View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 17:13
‘Relayer' is the album I was most excited about getting "the Wilson treatment". Fusion's influence, the presence of the jazzier Patrick Moraz on keyboards and perhaps some collective band aggression due to post-Wakeman/post-Topographic fallout created an interesting structural twin to 'Close to the Edge', though these two albums sound nothing alike. After the sprawling epic-ness of ‘Tales from Topographic Oceans’, ‘Relayer’ took things to a whole new level in songcraft, musicianship, and visceral impact. But sonically, I always found 'Relayer' to be a mess...thin, shrill and so much going on in a muddled mix that listening was often the experience of admiring the album rather than immersing myself in it. Steven Wilson’s work on 'Relayer' with an expansive 5.1 mix and a much cleaner stereo mix has changed that. As has happened with Wilson’s reworkings of King Crimson's 'Lizard' and to a degree with Jethro Tull's 'A Passion Play', I hope 'Relayer’’ gets another day in court.

Steven Wilson’s remix work has caused occasional controversy…not everyone appreciates his techniques or his results. I'm one of those people who does. In my opinion, if anyone has the credibility to take a swing at remixing Yes, Crimso, Caravan, Tull et all, it's Steven Wilson--a prog fan who came of age as a musician and producer equally comfortable with a computer mouse in his hand as he was a guitar pick. Furthermore Wilson's teenage immersion in those classic prog albums primed him to listen with the ears of fan as well as studio professional. From my perspective, Wilson has a preternatural understanding of the character of each musician, instrument and their combined context in the overall piece. Wilson’s work has changed my listening experience of these albums for the better, and ‘Relayer' most of all. I enjoy the clarity and separation of the instruments that Wilson’s mixes provide which was very evident in his work on ‘Close to the Edge’ and 'The Yes Album’, but Wilson takes it to a whole new level with ‘Relayer'. To those wondering if you’ll be missing the additional battle sound effects that are absent from this release…fear not. The musical cacophony is so beautifully expanded and clarified you’ll be more focused on how much more of the band you CAN hear, rather than the sound effects you can’t. I didn’t miss those sound effects one bit. The end result of Wilson’s efforts is that he made ‘Relayer’ sound as huge as I believe the band was aiming for at the time, but to my ears didn't quite get there. There was a moment during the playback of "The Gates of Delirium" in 5.1 when I fully expected a blitzkrieg of scimitar-wielding mutant barbarians atop rabid velociraptors to come storming out of my speakers…and there were no drugs involved.

‘Relayer’ has been liberated. The 5.1 mix gives everything room to breathe, with Chris Squire’s bass benefitting enormously from the expansion of the sound. The clarity is remarkable, and Steven Wilson managed to remove the shrillness of the original production without AT ALL reducing the ferocity of the performance. I’ve listened to this album a LOT over the years and I’m hearing things in this new mix I never noticed before. The sonic cheesecloth that covered this incredibly ambitious music for the last 40 years has been removed yet this is something more than simply a sonic upgrade…it is ‘Relayer' 2.0. Highest recommendation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>