Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Beatles Abbey Road 50th Anniversay Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beatles Abbey Road 50th Anniversay Releases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beatles Abbey Road 50th Anniversay Releases
    Posted: October 06 2019 at 08:50
Just had a listen on Spotify, like the others it's a general tweak rather than a major overhaul, perhaps a slight change to the balance here and there, some keyboards brought up in the mix a bit.
Interesting to hear the original version of the medley with "Her Majesty" in it's original position.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2019 at 18:54
Looks like the 2019 release is officially on YouTube (or at least 40 songs worth of it, not sure if there's more material in a physical edition.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the entire thing, so I'm not sure if there are any particularly interesting bonus tracks here. Some alternate takes and instrumental mixes there, though. Personally, the new mix isn't to my taste compared to the old one, but it's interesting to hear some of the different elements that are brought out.
Sgt Pepper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 00:32
[/QUOTE]

Go find an audio store near you and bring the album with you, I am sure they will let you spin it. Sit down and fully focus on the music and then report back what you really hear. As long as you pick a system that is higher end than what you currently have.
Expensive equipment is subjective topic.....but to hear an "expensive system" is pretty ear opening.

Nobody is expecting you to purchase the gear.
[/QUOTE]

I have heard many systems costing in excess of £50,000 some great some I think why.

I have also heard a good part of The Beatles material in studio 2 @ Abbey Road, that was mind blowing.

Edited by Sgt Pepper - October 02 2019 at 00:34
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 15:42
Originally posted by Sgt Pepper Sgt Pepper wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

To be fair, this release is a remix, so you don't necessarily need to invest thousands into your sound equipment to be able to hear subtle differences like you would with a remaster. Haven't listened to this particular remix, but typically the differences are significant enough that you can hear them with basic equipment. Then again, a lot of people here don't seem to differentiate between remixes and remasters.

As long as it's not a House, Hip-Hop or other such type remix....

;)

Yes you do not need expensive equipment to enjoy this remix/remaster it is just superb.

Go find an audio store near you and bring the album with you, I am sure they will let you spin it. Sit down and fully focus on the music and then report back what you really hear. As long as you pick a system that is higher end than what you currently have.
Expensive equipment is subjective topic.....but to hear an "expensive system" is pretty ear opening.

Nobody is expecting you to purchase the gear.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 13:57

To be fair, this release is a remix, so you don't necessarily need to invest thousands into your sound equipment to be able to hear subtle differences like you would with a remaster. Haven't listened to this particular remix, but typically the differences are significant enough that you can hear them with basic equipment. Then again, a lot of people here don't seem to differentiate between remixes and remasters.

;)

Yes you do not need expensive equipment to enjoy this remix/remaster it is just superb.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 23:03

;)

Well if it was, we'd really be able to tell the difference on our phone speakers!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 05:27
It’s similar to what Steven Wilson did to the Tull, ELP etc albums - reimagining the sonic space while staying true to the spirit of the original. Improving things where appropriate.   
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 23:35

;)

Edited by Logan - September 29 2019 at 23:39
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 23:23
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 22:48

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Totally comptentuous and arrogant comment...Had to look again who was writing this since for a moment I thought I was reading a post from Mosh the Pure (and I avoid reading him as much as I can).

???Ermm

The Avy and the statement must be consequent dude.

but maybe we'll have to drive southwest, knock on his door, and politely ask him to change it?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 16:55

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Very suprised that more are not excited by this release as are complaining about it here?

You are on the wrong site to discuss this Beatles reissue, this site is not about sound quality, remastering/remixing quality. Talking about the meticulous nature a music engineer took to create a wonderful reissue from say the original master tapes to create something special does not go far here.

Majority of listeners here stream from various low-fi sources like Youtube, Spotify or iTunes and such and listen on their phones or thru laptop speakers. It's not a problem as this site is about music and not about the quality of sound.

You are much better off going to for example Steve Hoffman Forums where sound quality is much higher up the discussion chain. I am sure there are several threads there about the 50th anniversary reissue. I just saw one that was started on Aug 8th and has over 6,000 replies and more than 500,000 views. Here is the link

Have fun.........

But surely there are some who are interested in music (aren't we all ) and hearing it at the best quality available even here. You even have a thread dedicated to tech and getting the best sound we can, so your comment is a bit null and void: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18

We are all into music yes 100%!! But not everyone is into investing the time and money to hear the music in the best sound quality possible, that is a personal choice on how you want to listen to music. All I am saying is if you want the conversation to be about sound quality, there are other sites that have that focus, as well as in depth discussions about particular releases and the sound quality of them.
The Tech section here is mainly about instruments, very little about say audio gear/hi fi gear and such. 

There have been a few of us here that discussed audio gear and how it helps us hear the music we love in a different more satisfying way....but again this site is about music, not the sonic quality of music media and audio gear. I mean how many people in your post want to discuss the sonic quality of this 50th anniversary release?
I would but I don't like the Beatles Dead, so moot point for me. Enjoy your album, I have read its pretty good, there is a hi-end audio gear store near Seattle that is having an unboxing hearing session of the album next week, the record will be played on a $100K audio system.....I bet it will sound brilliant!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 16:41
Just got the remix CD. I’m not in the habit of re-purchasing classic albums, and I don’t get much use out of demos and bonus tracks, but I’d heard good things about the new mix so went for the $13 CD. It’s Abbey frickin Road, after all. Haven’t compared to the orig but I do hear some (good) differences.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 16:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Very suprised that more are not excited by this release as are complaining about it here?

You are on the wrong site to discuss this Beatles reissue, this site is not about sound quality, remastering/remixing quality. Talking about the meticulous nature a music engineer took to create a wonderful reissue from say the original master tapes to create something special does not go far here.

Majority of listeners here stream from various low-fi sources like Youtube, Spotify or iTunes and such and listen on their phones or thru laptop speakers. It's not a problem as this site is about music and not about the quality of sound.

You are much better off going to for example Steve Hoffman Forums where sound quality is much higher up the discussion chain. I am sure there are several threads there about the 50th anniversary reissue. I just saw one that was started on Aug 8th and has over 6,000 replies and more than 500,000 views. Here is the link

Have fun.........

But surely there are some who are interested in music (aren't we all ) and hearing it at the best quality available even here. You even have a thread dedicated to tech and getting the best sound we can, so your comment is a bit null and void: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18

Edited by Sgt Pepper - September 29 2019 at 16:41
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 16:33
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Totally comptentuous and arrogant comment...Had to look again who was writing this since for a moment I thought I was reading a post from Mosh the Pure (and I avoid reading him as much as I can).

???Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 15:28
Sometimes the truth does sting a bit...........it's ok. I like Mosh man Thumbs Up
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 15:11
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 14:05

Have fun.........

Edited by Catcher10 - September 29 2019 at 14:08
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 02:26
Recieved my Vinyl Deluxe edition yesterday and it is truly stunning.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 03:53

No one................unbelievable?  Wacko

I'll probably buy it at some point (although maybe wait for Amazon to sell it a bit cheaper as they did with the recent White album reissue). I'm a bit of a Beatles obsessive and find listening to the outtakes and different versions interesting, although they're not something I'd play all that often.

I can understand why people might not be interested as Abbey Road sounds pretty good anyway and it's an expensive release but it's not really aimed at the casual Fabs fan.

The recent Giles Martin releases have been good on the whole, although I disagree with a couple of things he's done (Harrison's counting on Within You Without You seems to have been removed and Lennon's gibberish at the end of I'm So Tired has been mixed right down). Definite improvement in the sound without altering too much. Good Morning Good Morning really kicks serious butt now.

Edited by chopper - August 28 2019 at 03:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 15:51
I'm tempted to get it if the prices are reasonable... Sometimes you have to buy the super expensive vinyl set to get all the digital bonuses which annoys me. Or if they've got the bonuses on Spotify like they do for Sgt. Peppers, I'd give them a listen.

Personally, I think it's worthwhile to hear early versions of songs and different mixes - gives you insight into how the music was created. We've got to remember that a song is not just a single 3 minute (or 10 minute or 20 minute...) performance; it's something that was developed through hours of work. It's kind of neat to hear the story of the music in that way.

Honestly, at some point the record companies ought to just sell the isolated tracks to the songs... not so great for the average Joe, but for nerds like me (i.e. the ones buying expanded versions of albums) it can be really insightful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>