Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Band Names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 08:34
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

From others above, my faves are The Lobotomy Brothers, Blind Pilots, Poets & Murderers & Rare Goat  Clap 
Thanx! Just noticed there is another Blind Pilots at the moment, founded in 2018. Also one troubadour name "Blind Pilot". Our band was in 1992-96, we were playing some kind of stoner thing (bands main songwriter liked a lot that time bands like Monster Magnet, Kyuss etc.). I played bass and sang few of my songs. Originally band name was Dischord, but I quess there was a same name band that time so band leader wanted to change name into BP.

At least the leader thought to check!  There are so many repeats of band names, even still.  As you doubtless know, there are repeats from way back in the day such as UK and US Kaleidoscope band names.  And of course, from younger people who may not know of early bands with the same name now, but they should know to check the internet these days.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 08:44

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

From others above, my faves are The Lobotomy Brothers, Blind Pilots, Poets & Murderers & Rare Goat  Clap 
Thanx! Just noticed there is another Blind Pilots at the moment, founded in 2018. Also one troubadour name "Blind Pilot". Our band was in 1992-96, we were playing some kind of stoner thing (bands main songwriter liked a lot that time bands like Monster Magnet, Kyuss etc.). I played bass and sang few of my songs. Originally band name was Dischord, but I quess there was a same name band that time so band leader wanted to change name into BP.

At least the leader thought to check!  There are so many repeats of band names, even still.  As you doubtless know, there are repeats from way back in the day such as UK and US Kaleidoscope band names.  And of course, from younger people who may not know of early bands with the same name now, but they should know to check the internet these days.
...and there was also Caribbean Kaleidoscope in the same time! UK Kaleidoscope has been my favorite of those. Also Nirvana already existed in the UK at sixties...today bands just seem not care about having same name. There are Howling Brothers in the US and I would have wanted to change our bluestrio name because of that, but my brother said "why change, almost every my earlier band name were duplicates..."
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 03:21
Cream Egg
Moondaze
Syntax
Harry Reptile
Eleanor Rigby
Fatal Error
Drop Zone
The Armchair Advocates

And a few others where names were changed so often that the band(s) eventually fell apart because no one could agree on anything..

Here's the Cream Egg Song on Bandcamp.  This dates back to 1975 although it was recorded in 2013.  Needs re-recording I think...

https://kennymitchell.bandcamp.com/track/the-cream-egg-song

Edited by flyingveepixie - May 12 2020 at 03:25
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 04:10
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Alexander von Ostwestfalen
Wale denken leise (Wales Think Quietly)
Vakuum (Vacuum, guest musician)
Poeten und Moerder (Poets and Murderers)
Funex
(last two still active)

Awesome! I LOVE Alexander Ostwestfalen! and Poets and Murderers! What types of muzak?

Ay, missed that question. A former member sells old Alexander von Ostwestfalen stuff on bandcamp,
https://hotelencore.bandcamp.com/album/anemone-nemorosa
however I think we were very young and mostly not very good (although we didn't realise that at the time).
Poeten and Murder have some stuff on soundcloud, there is some proggy stuff there (I push proggy and instrumental stuff more, my music partner is a more melodic quirky art rock/pop lover).
https://soundcloud.com/poeten-und-moerder
Funex is free improvisation based on noises and sounds, probably not your taste, There's a bit on my other bandcamp site, and one by Wale denken leise (which is a strongly Martyn Bates influenced singer/guitarist and me doing arrangements and some other instruments for him, around 1990; actually right now we do a new internet collaboration piece together):
https://soundcloud.com/lewian

Edited by Lewian - May 12 2020 at 04:17
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 06:26
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If 6 Was 9

Is it related to "SIX without "S" is 9 (IX)"?

No, it's a Jimi Hendrix song.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 16:32
Mine are one-man projects:
Superluminal Pachyderm - prog rock project composed on computer (had a couple collaborations on my Prum and Sea of Peas albums, but the rest is just me); active since 1999; 9 albums; working on a new album right now; not sure how I would describe it... kinda weird stuff, sort of a mix of neo prog, space rock, avant-garde, and maybe Thomas Dolby??

Amalgamated Hippopotamus - an electronic experiment that deconstructs recordings from the above project; active since 2019; 5 albums
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:19
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Superluminal Pachyderm - prog rock project composed on computer (had a couple collaborations on my Prum and Sea of Peas albums, but the rest is just me); active since 1999; 9 albums; working on a new album right now; not sure how I would describe it... kinda weird stuff, sort of a mix of neo prog, space rock, avant-garde, and maybe Thomas Dolby??

Amalgamated Hippopotamus - an electronic experiment that deconstructs recordings from the above project; active since 2019; 5 albums

A new album?  Cool!

Are socks involved?

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 20:57
I once played in a band called Lilac, but I left after approximately a year, and they changed name to Bias.

Other than that, I've mostly made music in my own name. Not particularly proggy though, but the song "Uoriginal sang" has a kind of tricky chorus and some irregular bars. Another one is in 5/4...

Edited by The Anders - May 12 2020 at 21:03
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 16:13
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

A new album?  Cool!

Are socks involved?

Socks are always involved.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 16:09
I have already posted it somewhere in the deeper jungles of this forum that I have dreamed of making own rock band called NO. May be taken as opposing the band's name Yes - but in reality it had a more sophisticated meaning. 

I thought of my favorite fruit at the time - perhaps, it was orange. And my favorite number was nine. Ninth Orange or, in short, NO. 

However, the mystical side of that name was yet to discover. Like ten or so years after the invention I have finally understood that if translated in Russian, it would become Devyaty Apelsin - that is, DA, that is YES... 

How can one not believe in supernatural forces then?!. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 04:47
I play in an alternative rock band called Mother Bass
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 08:41
I was in a band called Melochromia (around 2013) but we disbanded before we even played/recorded/written anything.
Here's the logo I designed for the project:
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Xyth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 14:05
My high school band was called Steel Penguins. We wore tuxedos. That was rather impractical.

Edited by Xyth - November 08 2020 at 14:06
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 14:10
Profound Intrusion.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 19:27
Played in various Glasgow bar bands in the 80's all of whom underwent several name changes:
Off the Cuff, Apostrophe, Exit the Lemming, the Reprieve, the Whistling Mothers, the Damnation Army, Hurricane Gary (and my favourite) Sausage ²

Edited by ExittheLemming - November 21 2020 at 19:28
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 17:14
Let's see:

The Mercury Orchestra (not to be confused with the actual orchestra by the same name)
Identity Theft
Laminar Flow
Early Morning
Boreal Kinship
Silent Script
Daniel Martin & The Infamous
Pepperland
Rockology

I'm actually still involved with the last 5 - although thanks to COVID, I'm usually not too busy rehearsing with them lately. I think the other 4 have dissolved mostly by now. This doesn't count the groups I played with while going through music school, which all have boring names like Symphonic Wind Ensemble.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 01:18
Jazz groups with my friends. In Middle School: The Real Enigmatics. After high school (with friends since elementary/middle/high school): King Chut.

Upcoming prog band with my partner Jarod Fedele (who has an album on here): Burnt Toast. Get ready, y'all.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 01:38
Never really been in a real band, but I've had a couple informal groups I've played in before.

To Brisk / Too Brisk / Two Brisk (spelling depending on lineup) - this was pretty much a talent show band with my high school friends. We played mostly acoustic covers of popular alternative songs with split male and female vocals for other high school students.

Turtleneck - this was another talent show sort of band, this time electric and more rock n roll. We spawned from working together on music for a big comedy and music show my dorm put on for our university, wound up playing a couple other gigs for a riley dance marathon and on the school football field for a senior celebration.

Drapes - this is a halfway imaginary band my best friend and I claim to be in. The idea came from our other friend who said he wanted to start a punk band, so we told him to show up to my house ready to sing. I brought my bass and my best friend brought a couple buckets and kitchen utensils to hit them with. We actually tried writing some songs, or more like I wrote some weird lyrics for this weird band and we jammed once. Theoretically we're still together and liable to actually write a full song at any time.

Names are a lot of fun! I also made up an imaginary band name once, Violate Blues.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 11:44
in my youth I played keyboards for a blues-rock band called Galactic Tailors. later I joined a band called Ohmygodisms (read as Oh-my-God-isms); we played very strange music. I then founded the jazz-rock band Fluffy Fingers. with Friede I formed the Bald Angels, and my latest project is Mother Gaia, an all-female band consisting of Friede, my sister Bea, our daughters Alice and Dorothy and me

Edited by BaldJean - December 06 2020 at 11:50

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:46
Here goes!

Kite:  '77 high school garage rock band...
Elfhouse:  '78-'79 somewhat known San Jose Bay Area prog band
Rhodri's Hand:  '80 prog band that never got anywhere 

From here on, I quit playing in traditional "bands" and began handling all the instruments, songwriting and production myself in my "one man bands"...

General Cosmo: '81 to '84 the first of my one-man bands (named after a line in the Netherworld song, "Son of Sam") keyboard oriented sometimes prog
Sammy Davis and the Juniors: '83  special project for 1 song
Plateau Madd: '85 alternative/college rock rather than prog
MBD: '86 (aka Minimal Brain Dysfunction) short lived hardcore punk band
Lucifer Sam: '86 hardcore punk band
A Blatant Disgrace: '86-'87 hardcore punk/rock band
Mutiny in Jonestown: '87 to present, my primary band with 42 albums released so far.  In PA database under Neo Prog: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=10248  Also at Bandcamp at: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/
The Mirror Test: '89 one off album project
Morpheus: '98 to present, began as my goth band but grew to include my modern classical compositions and synth adaptations of classical works (think Tomita).  14 albums released so far
WytchCrypt: '05 to present, began as an improv looping band but morphed into my progressive doom metal band in '14...9 albums released so far.  In PA database under Experimental/Post Metal:  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9666  Also at Bandcamp at: https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/
The Alchemy of Atlantis: '15 to present with 5 albums released so far.  Meant for my ears only and for any crazy thing that doesn't fit as Mutiny in Jonestown, Morpheus or WytchCrypt LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - February 13 2021 at 11:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>