Poll Question: Is Pink Floyd prog rock?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
110 [82.71%]
23 [17.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 13:38
Haha I like how this thread descended into tribalism and madness well before me, and I just straight up answered the question in the title. That dude claiming Rush didn't influence bands or was taking things from older bands is a hoot, what an idiot. Sounds like someone's got a grudge against Rush, no?

Dougmcau, you're totally right. Even though this is not the topic of this thread, Rush totally made their own style of music that had some influences (but what music doesn't?!), and that music is totally recognizable as unique and proggy 40+ years later. I hate people who show their personal dislike of a band in their analysis of music in general.
ClosetothSupperBrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 13:45
@The Dark Elf

http://www.rushweb.net/hail-rush-these-5-bands-cite-rush-as-a-major-musical-influence/

"1. The Foo Fighters
This Seattle group, which is considered to be the spiritual successor of mega-group Nirvana, has been one of the most widely known artists of the last two decades. Lead by lead guitarist, front man and former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl, their own unique sound has drawn a lot of influence from Geddy Lee and crew.

Grohl himself a famous drummer and vocalist, cites Lee’s vocals and Peart’s famous drum beats as major influences. During the group’s induction into the rock and roll hall of fame, Grohl and his fellow Foo Fighter member Taylor Hawkins, were selected to provide the accompanying speech.

2. Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor

Not many artists are as famously multi-instrumental as Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor. A complex talent, Reznor has performed in various positions in the entertainment industry, from working behind the scenes as a song producer, to his vocal and instrumental duties for NIN. Not afraid to experiment since the 1980s, Reznor is considered one the the recording industries’ most prominent Jack of all Trades.

In an interview in 2010 Reznor said the famous act was, “One of the best bands ever” and stated that the sound from the group’s offering Signals in 1982 was one of the motivating factors in his inclusion of keyboards into his performances.

3. Smashing Pumpkins

There are few artists in existence which exemplify the dynamic world of alternative music better than Billy Corgan’s Smashing Pumpkins. Rocketing to stardom with their complex offering Siamese Dream, Smashing Pumpkins is still to this day making excellent records. Corgan, a known auteur has created a constantly evolving, yet identifiable sound throughout the years. Known for layering guitars, he has cited on numerous occasions that his influences have ranged from the heavy metal songs of the 70’s and 80s to the arena sound typical of groups like KISS.

Recently in an interview about Rush in Hollywood, Corgan said, “If you had told me in Chicago when I was a kid that I’d be introducing them someday for their Hollywood star, I wouldn’t have believed it, because they were literally my favorite band when I was a kid.” He has also stated in the past that some of the distinct sounds that he has created, including his famously creative guitar layering, was directly as result of Geddy Lee and crew’s guitar-laden influence.

4. Dream Theater

Dream Theater, the technical juggernaut of progressive metal, has been filling arenas with their creative authenticity and expertise since the eighties. Their sound, which explores their singular expertise using various instruments has been appreciated for many years. Formed in 1985 by guitarist John Petrucci, bassist John Myung, and drummer Mike Portnoy originally played under the name Majesty, and has been rocking auditoriums for nearly three decades.

Of all the groups listed, Geddy Lee and his groupmates’ influence is most clear here. In 2014 John Pertucci said, “If I had to pick a favorite band of all time, it would be Rush. As a teenager, I was already familiar with the group and its albums like Moving Pictures and Signals. But once I discovered 2112, it opened me up to this whole concept that rock music could be bigger than just a tune—that it could be used as a vehicle to tell a story or to transport you to some other world.”

Also to this day, a Dream Theater performance is a great place to hear some amazing covers.

5. Rage Against the Machine

Socially Rebellious artists Rage Against the Machine, while currently not recording and in a hiatus, was one of the more riotous acts to debut in the later 1990s-early 2000s. Their authority shrugging style and raucous lyrics made for incredibly exciting concerts and left an indelible mark on music history.

Tom Morello the eclectic guitarist of Rage once said, “I was always drawn to metal, but the devil stuff and the groupie stuff never really spoke to me. But they were great musicians. Three of the greatest musicians on their particular instrument somehow all managed to be in one band.”

Five history making artists all drawing influence from another history making act? Clearly this displays the reciprocal nature of the music business and how much a group can influence later generations of music makers. What will be interesting is observing how these groups themselves influence the next generation."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 13:48
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/03/dream-theater-john-petrucci-rush-changed-everything/amp/

In a new interview with Heavy Consequence, Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci shares his thoughts on Rush and what the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame act’s music meant to him.
“To me, [Rush] was the band that changed everything,” Petrucci told us. “When music just hits you in such a way, especially when you’re young … and you’re sort of developing your tastes — that band, there was something about it. I just loved it. And so I got completely sucked into all things Rush.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 13:58
From AllMusic's review of 2112:

"Instead of choosing between prog rock and heavy rock, both styles are merged together to create an interesting and original approach. The entire first side is comprised of the classic title track, which paints a chilling picture of a future world where technology is in control (Peart's lyrics for the piece being influenced by Ayn Rand). Comprised of seven "sections," the track proved that the trio members were fast becoming rock's most accomplished instrumentalists."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 09:54
Dude, why don't you just Start a Rush thread and take all of your musings there
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 10:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Dude, why don't you just Start a Rush thread and take all of your musings there
He was giving reasons why Rush were an influence on prog metal and didn't take their sound from other bands, hardly "musings". He's completely right, as well.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 11:49
And what the hell does that have to do with with Floyd being prog or not?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 10:07
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

Haha I like how this thread descended into tribalism and madness well before me, and I just straight up answered the question in the title. That dude claiming Rush didn't influence bands or was taking things from older bands is a hoot, what an idiot. Sounds like someone's got a grudge against Rush, no?

Dougmcau, you're totally right. Even though this is not the topic of this thread, Rush totally made their own style of music that had some influences (but what music doesn't?!), and that music is totally recognizable as unique and proggy 40+ years later. I hate people who show their personal dislike of a band in their analysis of music in general.

Reading comprehension is a lost art. No grudge against Rush, and the discussion was about prog metal and only prog metal, dimwit. I could not care less who the Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails or Rage Against the Machine were influenced by, because it had nothing to do with that we were talking about. In regards to Dream Theater, Petrucci referenced Rush, while Rudess preferred Yes, Genesis, King Crimson and Pink Floyd. Oh well.

As far as Rush having "had some influences", you act like what they did came fully formed from their craniums like Athena born from Zeus's skull. Nonsense. You ignored direct quotes from Lee and Lifeson about how important specific bands were in the formation of Rush's form and style. Lifeson said he "wanted to be Jimmy Page" -- that is not just some passing fancy. And the first few Rush albums certainly offer a Zeppelin sound, purposely, as admitted by members of Rush themselves. Again, read before typing.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 13:54
Everybody's influenced by somebody influences somebody.

Neil liked Bonham, Baker and Palmer. Geddy liked Bruce and Entwhistle. And, yes, Alex loved Page. Part of the reason I don't listen to Rush and Fly by Night is because of the Zepp-isms intrinsic to those records.

Oh, and Keith Emerson stole his stab-organ-with-knife shtick from another guy.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 21:02
absolutely 
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 05:54
Regrettably, yes.
All is but God in God to God revealed;
and so all is, for naught but God is real.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 00:14
From the start Pink Floyd wanted to create an audio visual experience and progressed this to the logical conclusion (benefit of hindsight) of The Wall concert, film, album.

Perhaps one of the reasons Floyd get this little query is the blues influences, particularly DG and his guitar. Prog rock usually eschews the blues. (Brief aside, not an excuse for a new section relating other themes t a primary one... sounds vaguely familiar conceptually, that).... Anyway, as metal cut it's blues umbilical chord... Priest being the first major metal band to do that although one could argue the surrogate band (sic) the Scorpions' very progressive earlier recordings being the first by way of having no blues at all...

Anyway, Floyd. So they have this little blues influence. I don't think it should overly cloud Atom Heart Mother, Echoes, the album concept approach, the pioneering studio work, the conceptual clarity and focus of their most popular and noted works. It continued in non-band oriented works, orchestras and concept albums, themed concerts. Frankly you couldn't get more prog rock than this sort of thing.

Thus here endeth the lesson... ;)

A bientot.

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 00:20
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

From the start Pink Floyd wanted to create an audio visual experience and progressed this to the logical conclusion (benefit of hindsight) of The Wall concert, film, album.

Perhaps one of the reasons Floyd get this little query is the blues influences, particularly DG and his guitar. Prog rock usually eschews the blues. (Brief aside, not an excuse for a new section relating other themes t a primary one... sounds vaguely familiar conceptually, that).... Anyway, as metal cut it's blues umbilical chord... Priest being the first major metal band to do that although one could argue the surrogate band (sic) the Scorpions' very progressive earlier recordings being the first by way of having no blues at all...

Anyway, Floyd. So they have this little blues influence. I don't think it should overly cloud Atom Heart Mother, Echoes, the album concept approach, the pioneering studio work, the conceptual clarity and focus of their most popular and noted works. It continued in non-band oriented works, orchestras and concept albums, themed concerts. Frankly you couldn't get more prog rock than this sort of thing.

Thus here endeth the lesson... ;)

A bientot.

Why do I often read opinions like this one that seem to find the blues necessarily not progressive or less metal?  When Priest made Stained Class, it was filled with the blues! It just found some other great modes and moods to fit in as well so the music wasn't as purely derived from the blues as it had been on Sad Wings. There's also plenty of blues in ELP, who have lots of fun jazzy passages which rely heavily on the blues. The blues isn't something that hold music back from progression, it's just another element to use in your playing and writing. Pink Floyd are perhaps the greatest example of how versatile and progressive the blues can be, honestly.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 01:03
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Perhaps one of the reasons Floyd get this little query is the blues influences, particularly DG and his guitar. Prog rock usually eschews the blues.

Why do I often read opinions like this one that seem to find the blues necessarily not progressive or less metal?  When Priest made Stained Class, it was filled with the blues! It just found some other great modes and moods to fit in as well so the music wasn't as purely derived from the blues as it had been on Sad Wings. There's also plenty of blues in ELP, who have lots of fun jazzy passages which rely heavily on the blues. The blues isn't something that hold music back from progression, it's just another element to use in your playing and writing. Pink Floyd are perhaps the greatest example of how versatile and progressive the blues can be, honestly.

I didn't say the blues was less progressive or not, merely saying what I'd read so often, that prog rock is usually fused with classical or jazz for fusion in the US. Fusing rock with art music rather than roots music is what causes discussions such as this one.

Me, I find much progression in the blues, including jazz blues. Joe Pass to Johnny Winter.

For blues versatility I might look toward Jeff Beck as his focus is more oriented toward progressing blues while the Floyd used it here and there as they were so busy with a lot of other things.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 07:04
I consider Floyd as prog, since I think the label "prog" isn't really constrained by any definition: its use in the global progger community — which is for the most part pro-Floyd — is what gives it content.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 11:47
of course

and the best band (with The Doors) ever
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 11:55
For once and for all, the answer is yes, no and maybe. Good day.
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 12:09
I would say: sometimes, but mostly not so much :P
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 12:10
Originally posted by SolNiger SolNiger wrote:

Regrettably, yes.

Why?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 12:50
Who cares? Your choices are either yes, or "I'm a contrarian." Nobody is going to change anyone's mind on this topic.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>