Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does anybody feel the same?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anybody feel the same?
    Posted: August 24 2020 at 05:11
I recently started REALLY REALLY hating music, particularly prog, from the 1970s and that's only because it's from the 70s. Whenever I listen to 70s music, I tend to get really MAD that what I'm listening to's something that was recorded (no computers, tape etc) during a period which I've never experienced and I only know of from what others have told me or pictures/music/movies/books. The feeling of listening to something that's lost and never gonna return makes me upset.

Also, the 70s drum sound drives me crazy. It's so unobtainable and easy to identify. And it's terrifying that nobody, never ever, recreated this drum sound in the 90s and later.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 05:12
to answer your question - NO
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 05:21
For me, that 70's prog is the music of the times long gone is actually appealing. Feel some sweet nostalgia, even though I was not born at the time.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 05:28
Not only progressive music, but popular music in general, was on its peak in the 60's and the 70's. No bad feelings about that.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 05:40
Don't hate 70's music. I listen to it less than music made in the last 20 years.

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Also, the 70s drum sound drives me crazy. It's so unobtainable and easy to identify. And it's terrifying that nobody, never ever, recreated this drum sound in the 90s and later.
That would be the difference in recording to tape (analog) compared to a hard drive (digital).
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 05:52
You hate it because you love it? Confused I'd get really upset if everything from the 70's suddenly disappeared but it's not the case. When I listen to 70's music I feel transported to that era, even though I never lived it, especially if I play an original LP.

There are a few recent bands that tried to recreate the 70's sound in recent years with vintage gear, analog tape, etc. Lizards Exist and Hooffoot come to mind.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:09
No - I grew up with it (thank you car radio).
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:19
Very funny original post...well done, Hrychu
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:37
To be honest, no. 70s drum sounds are good, later drums sounds may be less good (ABWH for instance) and I'm not a fan of some modern recordings that have what I call a "clicky" bass drum sound that is too loud, but I've never hated 70s prog for that reason.
There are some recordings that have a slightly odd sound (can't really describe it) but they seem lacking in feel and atmosphere and sound like everyone recorded their parts separately (which they did). Some Glass Hammer and IZZ recordings spring to mind here, although I still like them.

Edited by chopper - August 24 2020 at 06:41
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:01
I love 70's aesthetics.
The drum sound, the guitars, especially the licks and solos, which are easily identified from the decade. Also, keyboards and synthetizers, they still sound great today.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:07
Hi,

It's weird to me that someone would hate music from a time and place that is no more ... so you might as well hate Haendel, Mozart, Beethoven, Stravinsky and everything else that is beyond your timeline of music enjoyment, which in my book, is merely showing that you might consider evaluating "music" in your ears, so that something like that does not happen again.

Essentially, every period in the history of the arts, has ALWAYS brought out something original and different, and apparently this is not good for you ... it's strange that you mention the "drum sound" and I just watched ELP on a concert from 1970, and no a single drummer in the past 25/30 years can reproduce anything that good that Carl Palmer came up with ... it was not about the "click" and it certainly was not about that stupid and cheap snare drum that beginners love to hit, because they do not know how to count time, and the folks they are playing with have to have a "point of return" so they know where they are ... it takes guts and talent to do what Carl did in many of those shows, and "talent" is not defined as ... just do your 4/4, or 3/4, or BS/4 ... but keep hitting that snare so the bass player and the guitar know what they are doing and when!

There was a freedom in the early 70's that is not clear anymore, and only a handful of artists do work that is "beyond" the timing and the measures in music ... the next time you look at Beethoven, or Stravinsky, try to find the "clue" that this is the 4th beat ... which tells you that the current drummer these days, is nothing but a mechanical metronome, that couldn't drum his way out of a hole in the ground ... it would sound the same, see?

There is nothing wrong with the 70's any more than there is what is in any other generation of music ... but it is really sad when we see stuff like this, which has a tendency to suggest that the music appreciation is not quite on your side ... hopefully your school has a "music appreciation" course that gives you 500 years of music ... you might find that a lot of stuff that you hear these days, that people love to "fan'size" ... is really just really poor music that has a value in the annals of music history of ... let's say -50 and below!

Edited by moshkito - August 24 2020 at 07:08
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:17
I think it cuts both ways. It is sad that there are fewer bands who can actually get together with a lot of people and do things the old fashioned way. I agree that the sound achieved in the 1970s (and even before that) is more organic and it really gives a beautiful distinct sound.

On the other hand, new technology has allowed bands - and especially those with fewer people - to achieve a sound that is very close to what they desire. It has in some cases allowed an improvement in certain sounds due to the accessibility of "model sounds" extremely difficult to obtain by other means. Without this new tech, these bands would never see the light of day. Some have been waiting eons to be heard.

I hate it when people answer "yes and no". A long long time ago, I had a boss who did this, but that person (who will remain nameless) was speaking out of both sides of their mouth, and it was like trying to pin jello to the wall.

It isn't a case of "yes and no". There are major obstacles in trying to reproduce the beauty of real, organic, acoustic sounds when having to supplement real instruments with electronics. Sometimes, you can get by with it and sometimes it falls flat. I also enjoy good electronic productions, because they have a futuristic vibe that I dig. So, before I get bashed by the amazing electronic folks, I add the disclaimer that it also depends very much on genre.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:18
Sorry to hear you feel this way. I always enjoy listening to 70’s prog, 80’s prog, 90’s prog, etc. To me, music is music, no matter what time it was written, performed, recorded, etc. If I like it, I have no problem with it.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:35
not at all.  70s i feel was the golden era of rock.  absolutely love it.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:38
I can relate to part of what you are saying and that is the part about not experiencing it at the time. I was a teen in the 80's and that is when I first got into prog so I missed it in the 70's. Other than my dad having a copy of the Yes album(which is not really even that big of a factor for me discovering or getting into prog although it is something I suppose)I have no recollection of anything prog or prog related in the 70's(unless you count the Beatles who were the only band I liked as a kid). So not having experienced it at the time has at times bothered me but for the most part it hasn't really ruined my enjoyment of the music.

As for the drum sound that never really bothered me either. The only drum sound that bothers me is the stuff from the eighties. I kind of blame Phil Collins for that in a way. He was a pioneer of that gated reverb sound which led producers in the eighties to try to get a punchier drum sound and people just sort of ran away with it ruining the production of a lot of 80's music. That said I like the sound he initially got and think it worked(PG 3 for example)but I don't like what it led to. I think  these days most drum sounds sound ok though.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:39
I think it's fair to say you're in a minority of one here. I absolutely Heart classic 1970's prog. Thumbs Up
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 09:00

I got into music during the '70s, but it wasn't Progressive Rock... it was Hard Rock / Heavy Metal. I didn't actually get into Progressive Rock until the late '70s, years after the albums were released. So I don't really have the same nostalgic feelings about classic Progressive Rock as others here. My nostalgia about music during the '70s and beyond is more about the music I listened to personally, irrespective of when the music was released.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - August 24 2020 at 09:03
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 12:51
Haha I know the feeling! Used to feel like that when I was eighteen years old. One day I spoke to a guitar teacher who said 'that back then they were happy to know some-one with the Lp so they could record it on a tape'. I already owned 100 vinyls by that time and I knew this was perhaps the best time to get into prog.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 13:24
^Yeah, now it would be "hey can you add me to your spotify account." Tongue 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 24 2020 at 13:24
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 14:10
OP: I agree with your comment on the drum sound of the recordings from the 70s (pre-gated drums). I LOVE that sound and HATE the sound of gated drums, which is why I HEAVILY and LOUDLY applaud when bands discard the gated/compressed drums that have prevailed since Gabe & Collins issued the "Melt" album. There are a few. I wish I could name the bands/albums off the top of my head, but I can't, but I'll do some research and get back to you.  
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>