Message Reverse Sort Order
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 18:55
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

ABD (All but dissertation), Computer Science.

I went ahead and wrote my dissertation before completing my course work or qualifiers.  Which makes me, technically, NBD (nothing but dissertation).  My advisor thinks I'm crazy but I've learned to live with that.
Maybe we should combine our efforts and see if some place would give us an honorary doctoral.  Heck, they gave one to Steely Dan.

Yeah, I thought of that. Not the Steely Dan part, but combining the two to get one degree.  we could pass it back and forth on alternate weeks.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 18:30
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I dropped out of college after failing Calculus three straight semesters...  Cry  But I am in a profession that generally requires a degree (software development), and without being too vain I have to say I am the best developer on my team of 20...  so...
I wonder why we needed to study so much Math for a Software Development degree. I still haven't done anything difficult in that area so far... and probably you didn't either in 25 years LOL
Indeed; logic, not math.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 18:04

ABD (All but dissertation), Computer Science.

I went ahead and wrote my dissertation before completing my course work or qualifiers.  Which makes me, technically, NBD (nothing but dissertation).  My advisor thinks I'm crazy but I've learned to live with that.
Maybe we should combine our efforts and see if some place would give us an honorary doctoral.  Heck, they gave one to Steely Dan.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 17:59
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Is Keishiro a doctor? 

either that or he just gets his kicks attending medical conferences LOL I love being his FB friend..  almost enough to want to be a doctor myself.

He is Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 17:56
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

\

- In my personal experience it's really important for a person to pick the right path for him

that deserves such major clappies man.. that is the word.  ClapClap

for me.. I was pushed into college by my parents. I made the mistake of showing brain activity and a talent for numbers when I was younger so I was pushed by my parents to become to the first of my family to graduate college here in the states.

So I went off to college.. confident in my intellgince and ability to succeed with minimum effort as I did in HS. 

Well college was a wake up call...  oh I passed my classes.. barely as I had developed a substantial appetite for drugs, alcohol and women during my first years of college. So after 2 years and half way to a degree in physics.. I was given a year vacation by my university to get my head straight.. so I did what any kid did.

I enlisted and took out my frustrations on enemies of the US state in the middle east..  after getting my (honorable) discharge I was ready to take college seriously but decided physics was a bit too...  applied..  so went into pure math.  Needless to say.. having to pay to college myself (my parents cut me off in anger after my first attempt) I killed it man. Made Dean's list and all that jazz.. even though I suffered significant PDSD and alcohol related issues.  A semester short of graduating I decided Math wasn't for me.. but decide follow my heart and true love.. history and was a year short of that degree when I met the 'spawn of Satan' over a toilet in the Student Union and she put the zap on my head.  I decided to take another break from college as she was working her way through her PhD program.. I was facinated immensely by teh electrical field having taking some electives in E.E..  So I took a semester off and took a job as a apprenetice electrican.

and loved the job so much.. I never went back to finish my degree(s).  Life is short.. live for yourself.. and what interests you. Yes my job is a pain in the ass as I've gotten older and have to do at nearly 50 what 20 yr olds have to do.. but the job satisfaction beat anything any of you college educated f**ks gets. I help people. .and still get paid damn well to to do it. Yes it cost me a marriage my search of happiness didn't fit the life plan of The Spawn of Satan who never accepted I went to work with a shirt with name embroidered on it.

but f**k her..  I won in the end. I'm happy..  so that is the moral of my educational story. Yeah.. I just paid off my student loans 2 years ago.. but I'd change nothing. Live for yourself.. it if it college.. more power to you.. but that isn't the only path to happiness and material success. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 17:52
Is Keishiro a doctor? 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 17:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think many here know that I am a Doctor of Optometry (39 years group and private practice...). No surgery;....exams for glasses, contact lenses, and routine external eye problems like conjunctivitis and dry eye and referral/co-management  for LASIK ,cataracts, etc.
About ready to retire in a few years......so if any of you need free advice or consultation get in line.

Smile

a real doctor Wu?

and I just thought you were as much a fan of Katy Lied as I am LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 17:38
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Ivan is a lawyer, and Todd is a medical doctor. I'm sure there are others as well.

don't forget our beloved partner in RPI crime Andrea C. Thankfully I didn't have to tussle with him as I often did with Ivan.. a tiger he is..  and a helluva good lawyer I'm sure Thumbs Up
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:57
^ What's your major?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 15:36
Completed college with a BS degree. Contemplated going back for a masters, but at this point it doesn't look in the cards (which is completely fine by me).
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 15:17
In many countries, just like mine, you go from "second grade school" (high school) directly to the University... well, if you pass through the examinations. Sometimes it's tough since you have to decide about your future with 16-17 years of age. Many give up their courses returning later generally in a different area.

I am a Mechanical Engineer, with 2 lato sensu (broad sense) postgraduation courses which were later converted into M.Sc.

Guigo

~~~~~~
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 13:59
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I 'finished high school' or secondary school as we called it here in the UK at the time. We have some 'High schools' now...for some reason.

I done my A levels then fled education. I was very immature at 18 and couldn't have coped with university. By the time I had actually grown up a bit I had a good job paying reasonable money and was too much into enjoying myself AND having the money to do it, so I had no inclination towards higher education. Of course I deeply regret that now, and I'm now too old and 'slow of mind' to learn to that level.

I started my PhD at 54 and will finish at 58. You are never too old if you find a subject that interests you.

That's fantastic What will you be a doctor of?

Ok maybe you're right....    
History.

I'm not saying you should go  back for more education, I'm just saying don't miss out because you think you're not young enough.  Had I done my PhD directly after finishing college, I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much or done nearly as well as I have.  I think being older and wiser (not to mention way more disciplined) has really helped.  Other mature students I know say the same thing.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 13:46

I 'finished high school' or secondary school as we called it here in the UK at the time. We have some 'High schools' now...for some reason.

I done my A levels then fled education. I was very immature at 18 and couldn't have coped with university. By the time I had actually grown up a bit I had a good job paying reasonable money and was too much into enjoying myself AND having the money to do it, so I had no inclination towards higher education. Of course I deeply regret that now, and I'm now too old and 'slow of mind' to learn to that level.

I started my PhD at 54 and will finish at 58. You are never too old if you find a subject that interests you.

That's fantastic What will you be a doctor of?

Ok maybe you're right....    
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 13:24
Two years at a local college (GI Bill).
Four years (three and a half) Sheet Metal Worker apprenticeship school. (I "turned out" six months early)

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 11:59
Bachelor of Science Architectural Engineering Technology.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 11:22
Bachilor of arrts with englishe digree and master of arrts with kwalitie certificate. Bronze swimming badge too.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 11:17

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 11:03
I am a civil engineer and my specialty is the analysis and design of Steel and Concrete structures . 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 11:00

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 10:55
I have a BSc (Hons) in Electronics. Some ten years later I started a Masters of Business Administration and did very well on the first year's course-work and examinations (because frankly it's not a particularly difficult subject). But I decided that while I found it easy, it wasn't a qualification I wanted on my CV so I didn't complete the course. Judging by the MBAs I've met in my professional life, I don't think I've missed out on anything as a result of that.

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>