Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedflower Kings ... as good as genesis??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: flower Kings ... as good as genesis??
    Posted: May 11 2006 at 17:33
I have to agree with Zito! Yes were one of my favourite three groups in the seventies, equal to Floyd and just behind Genesis. I always rated them highly, especially in their peak period, from Fragile to Going For The One. Technically excellent and the masters of 'the epic'. However, FK are as good, if not better. They are certainly more consistent. No bad albums, no really bad tracks (consider some of the dross Yes has produced since GFTO) I personally love Tomas Bodin's style, he has all the technical wizardry, yet knows when to stay in background and add the odd subtle touch as required. Reingold is as good as Squire ( my favourite bass player), Stolt is as good as Howe, more diverse in fact, and definitely a better singer and solo artist! All three of their drummers can, match White, and even Bruford. So yes, they are better than Yes, (all Yes fans will be shaking their heads now and saying 'how can you say that, Yes are the masters', but we all have our opinions, and remember, I am a Yes fan too!) As for better than Genesis, well, that is harder to say, they are so different. Genesis are probably still my favourite band. FK don't have their lyricism, or olde worlde Englishness, of course, but they are not far behind, for me. Interesting here, if I was put on the spot and asked to name my top five prog bands of all time, my first choice would be Genesis, but after that it is a toss up between Flower Kings, Yes, Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd, in any order depending on the day. I just prefer to enjoy the music of all of them, and not worry too much which I like the best. Depends what music I am in the mood for too! Smile
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 17:12
That comparison is unfounded.  To compare Genesis with Camel or Gentle Giant seems to be more realistic.  TFK and Genesis are in two distinct league. genesis is in the company of camel, rennaisance, barclay james harvest, VDGG, Yes, ELp, ect..as opposed to TFK who are in the company of Porcupine Tree, Anglgard, Spocks Beard, Wobbler, i suppose, The Tangent among others.  
Maverick View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 13:57
Interesting topic, really!

Hey, how can we compare Genesis (formers of art-rock, unique band) and Flower Kings (keepers of prog traditions, prog-masters and Champions Of Prog nowadays)? They are different bands, although Flower Kings has a lot of Genesis-like melodies and structures.
I love both Flower Kings and Genesis, they're my favourite bands. And of course, Flower Kings has created as wonderful music as Genesis. These two bands are winners, no doubt.
In PROG We Trust
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:23
I totally agree, i consider Genesis a better band, but a i enjoy more TFK, it's more dinamical and unpredictable, not as emotional, but i think what majes them enjoy that much is their jazzy style, in this topic drumming and bass are quite exquisit. I mean , maybe the quality of TFK's music is better in terms of sofistication and complexity ( and i think that's the reason why i enjoy them more than Genesis), but Genesis is better due to the originallity and being pioneers in their style, also they were able to show you a wide variety of emotions that TFK aren't able.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:15
Originally posted by Rorro Rorro wrote:

No one question the originallity argument, and the point here is discuss if TFK is as enjoyable as genesis, what you think about it?.

I clearly enjoy listening to TFK more than listening to Genesis. Doesn't mean that I think that they're the better band, not at all. You cannot compare them anyway, because TFK build up on Genesis.
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:10
No one question the originallity argument, and the point here is discuss if TFK is as enjoyable as genesis, what you think about it?.
Mr. Sanchez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 08:59

It's all about personal preference...
Those who like Flower Kings over Genesis and vice versa so be it.

Personally i think that Genesis are better because they are Original.
It's Calling Me Back To My Home.
Tomodachi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 06:40
Ok I see your point and I respect it, but I still love TFK and even think they are often innovative Smile
I agree with you on the fact that they cannot be compared with Genesis.
Angeldust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 03:28
Ok i feel so bad for saying this but Flower kings music is sooooo retro.Don't get me wrong but i think it's wrong comparing them with Genesis.When Genesis started their music was so groundbreaking and true progressive.But nowadays with the flower kings what you get is a modern copy of the Yes/70s prog rock.It's ok to like them but there're better things in prog today.(radiohead , the mars volta , tool , even KING CRIMSON for christ's sake evolve with each album Wink )
Tomodachi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 18:51
Genesis has the historical importance and the fascination that TFK can't have, so I consider Genesis a much more important prog band than TFK, but nevertheless I enjoy listening to TFK as much as Genesis. Of course this is my personal feeling, but I want to point out that my appreciation of TFK has grown after many many listens: I liked them very little at first listen.
I really can't understand nor tolerate all this ostility towards this band: the accusation of unoriginality and plagiarism is a commonplace IMO. You TFK haters should try a more attentive and not prejudicial listen. Then, if you will remain in the same opinion I will respect it, but at the moment I consider your prejudicial bashing as an offence to people who find TFK music interesting and enjoyable.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 16:57
Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. The Flower Kings' musicianship and compositions are at the same level of quality, and I find them very enjoyable. The only thing is that Genesis was way before The Flower Kings. I think that's why everybody writes stuff like this off so quickly. The music is as good, but it's not as important (historically) or influential. I think it's unfair to judge based on the aforementioned.

It's like this in all areas of music it seems. When you ask someone who the greatest guitarist of all time is, majortiy vote will probably be to Jimi Hendrix. Why is this? Surely, it isn't because of his skill or songwriting. It's because of his groundbreaking ideas and techniques. He influenced so many. Nowadays, if you put Jimi up against (roughly) any guitarist (especially in prog), the other guy will destroy him.

So, I think The Flower Kings are as good, and as enjoyable as Genesis, but they will never get as much credit because of their chronological place in music.

Not true at all. Once again, people glorifying prog guitarists just because they play prog. 99% of prog guitarists couldn't come near Hendrix's playing. It wasn't about technicality, it was about the emotion of the song and the style of playing. Petrucci could come in and play 5000 notes to Hendrix's one, but no one would be affected by it. Too many notes don't mean you are a better guitarist. Once again, you can teach scales, but you can't teach how to play with emotional feel. The feel that Hendrix had.

This I know. However, I do believe Petrucci's work (at any speed) is emotionally charged. I feel a lot from his playing. Since this is a Flower Kings thread, I will also just point out that Roine's playing isn't a bunch of shredding, but man does he put his all into every note. I get so much from his playing. I do have a heap of respect for Hendrix, and I know exactly what you're saying. I personally never got much out of his stuff though. I'm not glorifying anybody just because they play prog; I said especially in prog because prog musicians generally have a greater theory knowledge, technical ability and melody orientation (coming from all kinds of sounds and styles). Obviously the value of the guitar work from an emotional aspect is a matter of opinion.

Edited by Moatilliatta - May 10 2006 at 16:58
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
jojim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 16:52
Are you crazy? - TFK are a second hand plagiat band with gifted musicians and a good sound engineer. That's all!!

Their compositions have no substance. You can take off a part of a song. Nothing gets better or worse. This is the proof of nonsense. Real music is stuck on a rigid timline. GENESIS are the masters of construction songs as a whole.

The most ridiculous with the TFK is the singer. He tries desperately to sound like John Wetton. He has no bad voice at all. But it is copy. Would you buy tami if you can get gold?

The music of TFK is appropriate to be played in big supermarkets. Even the grandmas would accept it. If you play GENESIS or YES albums in a mall people would kill you or the mall runs down.

To compare the music of GENESIS (YES, GENTLE GIANT etc.) with that of TFK is like comparing US-Today with THE TIMES. There is no link, no similarity. TFK try hard to express themselves with means of the past. That is ok. No doubt. But it has nothing to do with the niveau of the groups of the seventies.

In "Retropolis" Track 4, at 9:00 min, they sound like YES and John Wetton together. Absolutely ridiculous. Really.

If someone likes this music. Wonderful. But do not compare it to GENESIS or the rest of the scenery of the 70-ies.

My statement does not mean they are bad. Sincerly.

Hope I'm not too harsh with this thread.
YES - Close to the edge / UK - UK / GENESIS - The lamb lies down / KING CRIMSON - Discipline / MIKE OLDFIELD - Tubular bells / JETHRO TULL - Aqualung / GENTLE GIANT - Three friends / TMO - IMF
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 15:42
They have grown on me a lot lately, but to suggest that they are 'as good as Genesis' is just wrong, imo. They are as many have said, sometimes rather aimless and ambling. Few prog acts I know of have ever recorded as many double CDs and it's a frightening thought that if they were issued on vinyl, they'd be quadruple albums!! You don't need to have heard their music to get the impression that there's gonna be some plentiful filler there. Also, their music isn't even like Genesis' in the first place. Genesis were extremely innovative and knew the importance of good, concise songwriting. The Flower Kings' whole career can be tied down to two prog albums, imo- 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' by Yes(which I love) and 'Focus III' (half of which I love, half I don't) by Focus. Both are somewhat unwieldly at times yet the sound of The Flower Kings relies heavily on these bands, imo.

With tighter editing, you could find some superb songs on their albums and they'd probably be one of the great modern symphonic acts. As they stand, they are still an at times excellent act, but are frustratingly over-prolific.

Edited by salmacis - May 10 2006 at 15:44
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 19:36

With modern you mean "symphonic of the 90's" ?, if that's modern IMO Anglagärd is the best, but it's said to be retro prog.

TFK is much more prolific, which counts for something. Smile
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 18:34

You're right saying that without genesis TFK would never have existed.
The Fact is, without Genesis, TFK and much more bands have never existed...

Anyway, i like TFK so much, i think they are a "creative" (despite the have been influenced) a skillful and on of the best bands nowadays...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 17:58
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I don't think so. Stolt was already around in the 70s with Kaipa. Of course they were also influenced by Genesis and Yes, but I'm sure they would also have made very interesting music without this influence.

Maybe, but not the same music they're producing right now, i think without those influences they would have gone another way.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 17:54

I don't think so. Stolt was already around in the 70s with Kaipa. Of course they were also influenced by Genesis and Yes, but I'm sure they would also have made very interesting music without this influence.
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 17:38
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 16:47

the flower kings as good as genesis......Shocked.????..better than genesis..???  what's this.... another "sacred cow" getting poked at with a sharp stick?? well everyone is entitled to their opinion, maybe they are  as good as genesis, but remember without genesis the flower kings would not exist!  (without a model 'T' Ford a Ferrari would not exist in theory!! ).

Edited by mystic fred - May 09 2006 at 16:53
Prog Archives Tour Van
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 15:19
With modern you mean "symphonic of the 90's" ?, if that's modern IMO Anglagärd is the best, but it's said to be retro prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>