Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTangerine Drean Vs Kraftwerk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these two band preferred?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
44 [69.84%]
5 [7.94%]
11 [17.46%]
3 [4.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 03:35
I was about to vote for TD only when I saw that they were winning the poll hands down, which I think is a bit unfair. Personally I prefer TD (yesterday I listened to Phaedra and Atem after a long time, tonight I'll probably pick Rubycon and the 1974 concert from the orange boxset... yummm!) but recently the f*?king mad krautrock completionist in me made me buy some Kraftwerk cds and I find they are excellent. I had (fond) memories of the hits they had in the late 70s, so the "pop" side of Trans-Europa Express and Die Mensch-Maschine (I was lucky enough to get the German version at a very good price) doesn't bother me at all.
Cold, metallic, minimal but essential.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 03:36
Have to go with TD here.

But Jarreboy PWNS'em both!Tongue
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 09:10
Originally posted by Heavyfreight Heavyfreight wrote:

Tangerine Dream were always more progressive than Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk were often quite pop orientated.

"Progressiveness" or "pop-orientation" doesn't necessary mean "bettter" or "worse".

I like both bands and voted for both, although I slightly prefer Kraftwerk - they are more "German" Nuke

Perhaps the best Tangerine Dream albums are better than the best Kraftwerk albums,  but at their  lowest point KW made accessible yet unusual pop albums, while the rest of TD's career is just horrible.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 09:17

Tangerine Dream were always more progressive than Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk were often quite pop orientated.

You have obviously never heard the two first Kraftwerk albums!

Edited by oliverstoned - November 14 2006 at 09:17
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 12:56
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

"Progressiveness" or "pop-orientation" doesn't necessary mean "bettter" or "worse".

I like both bands and voted for both, although I slightly prefer Kraftwerk - they are more "German" Nuke

Perhaps the best Tangerine Dream albums are better than the best Kraftwerk albums,  but at their  lowest point KW made accessible yet unusual pop albums, while the rest of TD's career is just horrible.

Ouch there are so good albums outside the classic sphere. And I don't say this as the great fan I am.
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 13:02
^^Please... you must be aware that I am also a great fan of their '70's works, but many agree that their post-Franke work simply sucks Dead... Even they themselves came close to admitting it Wink

Edited by Bilek - November 14 2006 at 13:02
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 13:05
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

Please... you must be aware that I am also a great fan of their '80's works, but many agree that their post-Franke work simply sucks Dead... Even they themselves came close to admitting it Wink

citation needed Wink

• Miracle Mile
  • Quinoa
  • 220 Volt Live
  • Turn Of The Tides
  • Tournado/Valentyne Wheels
  • Seven Letters
  • MARS POLARIS/Rocking Mars
  • Inferno
  • Purgatorio
nope,not really Wink

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 13:12
I'll find the relevant page in their site (in the early version, I have it in a chm file!) and post here... maybe I can find it in the new version as well... It's in FAQ section.

meanwhile, I might have the chance to reconsider the albums you listed (bar Mars Polaris and Dante trilogy, which I don't have Cry)... maybe my attitude changes, eh? (but not about Tyger, Shy People and all the surrounding dreadful stuff Dead)
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 13:20

I'll find the relevant page in their site (in the early version, I have it in a chm file!) and post here... maybe I can find it in the new version as well... It's in FAQ section.

meanwhile, I might have the chance to reconsider the albums you listed (bar Mars Polaris and Dante trilogy, which I don't have Cry)... maybe my attitude changes, eh? (but not about Tyger, Shy People and all the surrounding dreadful stuff Dead)

Tyger isn't that bad.

And I never said the Melrose Years or the early Seattle are fantastic. They're actually a real recoil, yes.
But once started on the late 90s and on the millenium style (studio new material, that is), there's room to talk about music. Wink
Oh, forgot Goblin's Club.
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 13:20
kraftwerk is repetitive and simple, i prefer tangerine dream
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 15:08
Tangerine Dream
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 15:56
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Tyger isn't that bad.

And I never said the Melrose Years or the early Seattle are fantastic. They're actually a real recoil, yes.
But once started on the late 90s and on the millenium style (studio new material, that is), there's room to talk about music. Wink

Tyger is a good album..the last one TD made that I can enjoy.Goblins Club starts well but descends into the sort of aimless nonsense that littered so many later TD albums.That said I did enjoy TD when I saw them play live about 10 years ago.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 15:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Tyger isn't that bad.

Tyger is a good album..the last one TD made that I can enjoy.Goblins Club starts well but descends into the sort of aimless nonsense that littered so many later TD albums.That said I did enjoy TD when I saw them play live about 10 years ago.

Goblin's Club is full of sense, those pieces may have simply...let you cold.
a better creation nonetheless than 70% of the 90s music. Cool

Edited by Ricochet - November 14 2006 at 16:00
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 16:00
who voted for "hate", by the way? Cry
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 18:57
Tangerine Dream by miles and miles. They are far more atmospheric, and not as repetetive as Kraftwerk.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 20:53

Kraftwerk, but only because I like cycling.

both are great actually, Germany hosts many great electronic bands of which TD and Kraftwerk are just 2 amongst many, though arguable they are amongst the best in the field (not forgetting bands like Cluster, Schulze, Popul Vuh, Neu!(which is a spring off band of kraftwerk really) and some others I do not dare to mention since others will if required).

It's great music if you like it.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 02:49
^^Popol Vuh electronic!?!?!?!?!?
you must not have looked beyond their second album Wink...

getting back to the topic:
ricochet: It's easy to understand some people hating both TD and KW, as well as the whole electronic scene in general, because most rockers (even proggers amongst them) take all kind of electronic driven music at face value, not giving heed to the psychedelic roots behind it: like the Ash Ra Tempel heritage in Schulze's music. Not to mention the fact that all artists/bands mentioned so far are acquired tastes. Not everyone is patient as much as you or me to acquire it Wink...

lastly: I boldly argue that Tangerine Dream is the very best in the field, having heard most of the stuff from every band in tuxon's list, as well as other renowned figures such as Vangelis and Jarre. Of course this is my humble opinion; but this is backed up by the fact that TD is at least the most popular band among all Big smile...

I forgot to bring the chm file I mentioned; apparently they ommited that section from the site. I promise, I'll post the quote as soon as I find!

Edited by Bilek - November 15 2006 at 02:50
Trky_Lym View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 03:59
You people are SO ghetto, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk are both awesome!!!

A better poll would of been Tangerine Dream vs. Klaus Schulze or Kraftwerk vs. Yellow Magic Orchestra.

Edited by Trky_Lym - November 15 2006 at 04:05
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 09:39

getting back to the topic:
ricochet: It's easy to understand some people hating both TD and KW, as well as the whole electronic scene in general, because most rockers (even proggers amongst them) take all kind of electronic driven music at face value, not giving heed to the psychedelic roots behind it: like the Ash Ra Tempel heritage in Schulze's music. Not to mention the fact that all artists/bands mentioned so far are acquired tastes. Not everyone is patient as much as you or me to acquire it Wink...

lastly: I boldly argue that Tangerine Dream is the very best in the field, having heard most of the stuff from every band in tuxon's list, as well as other renowned figures such as Vangelis and Jarre. Of course this is my humble opinion; but this is backed up by the fact that TD is at least the most popular band among all Big smile...

I forgot to bring the chm file I mentioned; apparently they ommited that section from the site. I promise, I'll post the quote as soon as I find!

till then, I won't believe you. Wink

the very best? perhaps, perhaps not. they're nonetheless of an elite form.

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 02:59
^^It's a clever way of making reference Tongue.. You don't have to believe me in any case; I said they came close, not they admitted it Wink. Here's the citation (from the "focus the facts" section in the early version of the official site - emphasis original...):

1. The »boring« and the »genious« TD decades

We are very often surprised how agressive some people argue against the newer TD releases and for the older ones. To make it absolutely clear, there is nothing wrong if someone dislikes the newer stuff. But there is a very simple and very effective solution to solve such »problems«: Just buy what you like!

No one can or will force you to spend your sour earned money on something you feel uncomfortable with. So nobody except you is taking your creditcard out of your briefcase and handles it over to the cashier's desk. It's as simple as that, isn't it?

actually the writing goes on, but it twists in a way that it proves me wrong LOL... actually there are very interesting remarks and information in the FAQ section, which are not available in the present version of the site. I have the entire site (with the exception of forum, of course!) compiled in a *.chm file, along with a russian TD biography and a comprehensive fan site (Tangerine Realm - Stephan's Tangerine Dream Homepage). I can send the file to whoever wants, just frop me a PM and give your mail address... (the file is 7 MB's)

as for TD's being the best in their field: you have your nick from one of their (magnificent) albums, and you still say perhaps?!?!? shame on you! LOL
(as I said, it's a matter of opinion, and TD was the most popular in their field, and still the best -despite their "disliked" albums!- to my liking)

Edited by Bilek - November 16 2006 at 05:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>