Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 05:12
Erik, pardon me but I wanna introduce this wonderful work from Cuba...

SINTESIS — En Busca De Una Nueva Flor

4 stars (FOR ME 5 stars!!!) Listen! We can see full of brilliant stardusts, or bright moonshine in the sky of Cuba!

Very amazing in their sound, especially their chorus, there's much confidence and completeness, we can hear definitely. Spanish is their mother language and, as most of bands' songs are, their Spanish is well suitable for their melody and tune. (If they sang in English, they couldn't construct such a streamin' wave, I guess.) The first track has almost all of their essences...gentle and concentrated chorus, mellotron, keyboard, rhythm section, and guitar. (Well, wow-wow guitar play I'm very pleased!!!) Their percussion and bass play are not heavy & loud but strict & well-done. :-) Mix and dub with sound effect are not so good I feel, but I'm sure the no-good mix and dub should make their character and identity greater and larger.

What is their background? By one of the reviews of the group SINTESIS, they've got influenced much by British progressive rock e.g. Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, and so on...but personally I think that the music style of The Moody Blues, with mellotron and synth like orchestration, would give some influences to them.

Indeed we can't feel any Latin Cuban beat in this product, but please listen to the third track Primera Noche and we can feel the Latin flavour gently and slightly. The song has harpsichord's brilliant kicks and zamba-like voice, so smells like Cuban beats I suggest. The Fifth track Poema is the highlight of the album, with female beautiful voice flying over our mind and male bright and streaming voice making the song and listeners relaxed.

Rarely there're lots of songs with faded-out and it seems not like typical progressive album. But each of the songs in this album is fantastic and dreamy.

I wanna say Great SINTESIS is another Cuban gem.

Embarrassed
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 05:39

Paul: Thanks for your positive words about the 5Bridges singer his vocal performance in the studio, I agree, he does a decent job on the debut CD entitled The Thomas Tracks Thumbs Up About Progwalhalla Hans, he is very busy with playing chess this weekend, I will mail him about the problems with Pay-Pal and ... thanks for supporting Pandora, what a band Clap

Damo: Thanks for supporting Latin-Amerian Prog, your "search for a new flower has lead to you Cuba" Wink 

Yesterday evening we enjoyed this Latin American Prog band on our way back to The Hague:

ASTRALIS – Bienvenida Al Interior (****)

- Astralis is a new Chilean progrock band, rooted in 1999. The musical brainchild is guitarist and singer Patricio Vera-Pinto who also composed the six tracks. It lasted until 2006 before Astralis released their debut entitled Bienvenida Al Interior. The music is scouting the borders between symphonic – and neo-prog with the emphasis on the latter genre, especially the early MARILLION and PENDRAGON fans will be pleased. The varied, modern sounding keyboard work is wonderful and the guitarplay powerful and often moving. The Spanish vocals sound warm, it is a pleasant Latin-American flavor on this beautiful album by the very promising Chilean progrock band Astralis. I would like to analyse this album song-by-song.

1. Bienvenida Al Interior : A melodic and alternating sound featuring pleasant and modern keyboards, propulsive guitar riffs, howling guitar, warm Spanish vocals and lost of shifting moods. A great start, gentlemen!

2. Nocturno Urbano : After a spacey intro the atmosphere changes into a kind of ‘symphonic blues’ with moving guitarwork (like Nick Barrett from Pendragon), this in combination with ‘choir-Mellotron-like keyboards’ carries me away to Progheaven.

3. Novento Y Nueve : This long track (12 minutes) contains lots of variety, strong plau on guitar and keyboards and inspired vocals, the music often reminds me of early Marillion, this is neo-prog at its best!

4. Doble Arcoiris : After a spacey synthesizer intro and fragile guitar with soaring keyboards, a slow rhythm with piano and synthesizer solo follows but this songs is build upon the wonderful, often moving guitar play, goose bumps.

5. Bajo El Domo De Cristal : Another composition with lots of shifting moods, I am delighted about the beautiful, very moving guitar solo and a captivating breamk with an impressive  church-organ sound.

6. Kinnara : This final track (10 minutes) contains in the first part a blend of dreamy parts with soaring keyboards and sumptuous pieces with sparkling piano and sensitive guitar. Then we can enjoy a Brian May inspired guitar interlude with echo and fiery runs, culminating in a final part featuring an up-tempo with flashy kebyoards and propulsive guitar.

- This CD is highy recommended to all early Marillion and Pendragon freaks, what a wonderful and moving neo-prog album! 

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 08 2009 at 05:42
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 09:50
Well, as Erik indicated already, we had a great evening yesterday. Not a lot to add to what he wrote already. Kramer did a great job and made clear why they are categorised as 'Pink Floyd' alike by some - without ever coming even close to being copy cat. I bought two CDs from them after this first encounter, that should say enough.

As for 5Bridges - the CD has been playing on the way home, and I put it back on when I got out of bed. It's a great effort, by musicians that have been hidden in the dark for too long. Yesterday, singer Piet was still recovering from flu, which didn't do much good to his voice in the beginning, but it got better along the way. He does indeed lack power in some places, but on the album that is hardly a problem, and live he makes up for it by radiating enthousiasm. If ever there was a musician having a good time on stage, it could be him. Apart from that - we were able to witness the 1970s in a 21st century (schizoid) jacket: a huge stack of keyboards, including a MiniMoog, a Rickenbacker and a Moog Taurus, a Gibson ES 355 (if I looked correctly) and a set of drums and cymbals about the size of Neil Pearts old kit. All of that on one stage with 5 skilled and willing musicians who are not afraid to put a hint of techno beat in the opening track (just check the CD, it's a great gimmick) was the basis for a great night out.

I'll get back to the CD in a week or two, when I've heard it often enough to review it.

@Nightfly: if you drop me a PM explaining the problem with PayPal on Progwalhalla I can look into it. Hans will likely contact me about it anyway.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 10:51

Good story Angelo (I love that 'snobbish vintage instruments talk' Wink ), let's wait what
              Karin (Antennas) and Dirk will tell us about that very pleasant Dutch Progrock Night Thumbs Up

KRAMER – Life Cycle (***1/2)
- New Dutch progrock band Kramer is rooted in the Dutch formation Lorian (2001) and since 2004 the new name (with some new members) is Kramer, on this CD entitled Life Cycle you will find nine compositions and the running time is at about 70 minutes.

- During my first listening session I notice that Kramer their sound is melodic, tastefull and alternating and they do their best to make original progrock. The first song Homecoming showcases Kramer their compositorial talents and pleasant musical ideas: an intro with sensitive guitar and piano, then a fluent rhythm with pleasant vocals, propulsive drums and guitar, the band slows down with twanging acoustic guitar and in the end the sound become gradually lush with strong interplay between guitar and keyboards. That element is colouring the other songs on this album very tastefully and I also like the contrast between the warm sound of  Grand piano and the howling runs on the electric guitar, like in the varied Identity and A Farewell, The Final Chord (intens blend of piano and guitar) and the great final piece Life Cycle. My other highlights are the sumptuous final part with classical orchestrations and fiery guitar in Escape Into A Dream and the wah-wah drenched guitar and emotional vocals in

I Believe.

- In  my opinion Kramer has delivered a strong debut CD but I don’t rate higher than 3,5 stars because at some moments they have to mature in writing, I am sure the next effort will be rated with four stars, that's a perfect challenge for this promising Dutch progrock band!

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 08 2009 at 10:53
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 11:44
Erik and Angelo, thanks for your offers of help with Han's Paypal at Progwalhalla. Fortunately I received an email from him and have paid him directly so I should be receiving the Pandora cd shortly. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 13:18

Paul, you received an e-mail from Progwalhalla Hans? You lucky b Censored rd, I haven't heard
           from him since last week Unhappy ..................... but he needs me so soon I will be embraced LOL !

During the preparations of my Fourty Years Italian Prog : 1969 - 2009 article,
                         I stumbled upon these pretty overlooked interesting Italian bands:

RUSTICHELLI & BORDINI – Opera Prima

- Rustichelli & Bordini was a duo who made this wonderful album that turned out to be their swan song. The cover picture is very original: a nude and bald heavy weight man who tenderly holds a baby in his arms. To me this is a metaphor for the music, ranging from warm to bombastic. By the way, later drummer Carlo Bordini joined Goblin and Cherry Five.

1 – Nativita : This album starts with a swinging rhythm featuring inventive drums, a warm bass sound and lush keyboards with Hammond organ, Mellotron and piano by Paolo Rustichelli. The climates alternate from mellow with soaring violin-Mellotron and classical inspired piano to swinging with lots of Hammond. The interplay between the keyboards is wonderful and the rhythm- section sounds great.

2 – Icaro : A mid-tempo song with splendid play on the Hammond (featuring a church organ like sound), a jazzy piano part and strong vocals with an emotional undertone.

3 - Dolce sorella : Again we can enjoy a wonderful lush keyboard sound delivering classical orchestrations, synthesizers and sparkling piano. The vocals sound melancholical and fit perfect to the bombastic atmosphere.

4 - Un cana : The first part contains beautiful classical piano, then a full symphonic climate, emphasized by synthesizers, Mellotron and piano along emotional vocals.

5 - E svegliarsi in un giorno : This track features many Hammond organ floods and strong vocals, it carries you away to progheaven !

6 – Cammellandia : First bombastic organ, fat synthesizers flights, then an ominous sounding violin- Mellotron and dynamic drums. The climate turns into bombastic with propulsive drums and a lush Hammond and Mellotron sound, gradually the Mellotron becomes more and more omnipresent and is blended with the Hammond and drums in an exciting way! In the end the atmosphere returns to mellow with tender piano and strange sounds.

(LUCIANO) BASSO – Voci

- Luciano Basso is a classically trained and experienced musician, specialized in Grand piano and writing compositions, he has made 4 LP’s (source: book Progressivo Italiano by Barotto & D’Ubaldo): Voci (1976), Cogli Il Giorno (1978), Frammenti Tonali (1979) and Luciano Basso (1980) on the Ariston label. Later he released 5 CD’s and nowadays he is a music teacher in the known Italian city Padua.

- Listening to his instrumental debut album Voci the music reminds me of keyboard oriented Seventies Prog bands like Trace, ELP, Le Orme and Triumvirat, also driven by virtuosic play on the Grand piano: from fragile (Voci) and sparkling (Promenade II and Voci) to jazzy (Promenade II) or wonderful interplay between Grand piano and the violin like in Preludio, Voci and the experimental Echo (lots of good ideas but sometimes it sounds a bit too fragmentic to me). Although the Grand piano is omnipresent, you can also enjoy a wide range of vintage keyboards, from the mighty Hammond organ and the unsurpassed Mellotron to the harpsichord, clavinet, string-ensemble and even a church organ sound. Some songs contain sensitive work on the electric guitar like halfway Preludio and in the final part of the Voci. The Vinyl Magic CD release features the poorly recorded bonustrack Mignon (almost 3 minutes), it is a bit disappointing end of a beautiful Seventies Italian Prog album, layered with great work on keyboards, especially in the titletrack Luciano Basso shows his skills in playing keyboards and writing compositions!

SENSITIVA IMMAGINE - E Tutto Comincio Cosi

- Almost every inch of this CD (transferred from 1976 tapes) has the spirit of the early Genesis, only the Italian vocals let you realise that this album is not a kind of ‘lost Selling England By The Pound tapes’! Even a live picture on the inside of this digipack (I own the Japanese Melos label version) looks like the early Genesis. The six compositions (the Musea re-release has three bonus tracks) sound pleasant and melodic featuring warm vocals, great sensitive electric guitar work and lush keyboards. They don’t have the elaborate compositional skills of the other famous Genesis-inspired band Neuschwanstein but I’m sure Sensitiva Immagine will not be a disappointment if you want love the 70-77 Genesis-era.

Clap

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 13:44
Life is all about priorities Erik, you won't here from Hans until you owe him some money Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 14:19

Back to Italy (a bit further in history than Museo Rosenbach c.s.): pecunia non olet, Angelo Wink
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 15:26
Pecunia non olet? Could be, but my feet do... time for a shower Big smile
ISKC Rock Radio
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 17:20
Erik, Sensitiva Immagine caught my interest when you draw similarities to Selling England.....one of the greatest albums ever made IMO. I'll check them out. Smile

Looking into Neuschwanstein I was surprised to see Scorpions drummer Herman Rarebell guested on 1 track! One of the least likely Prog drummers I would have thought...a solid player but not much finese.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 11:05

Good idea to check out Sensitiva Immagine, one of the most overlooked Italian progrock gems on this site, I love the way they blend the Selling England .. sound with native vocals, the atmospheres are very warm and melodic. The album E Tutto Comincio Cosi was released as a tape in 1976, I own the Japanese digipack version as a CD release, later Musea re-released it alos on CD plus bonustracks.

Interesting background news about that Scorpions drummer,
                          this is the first time somebody tells me about it, thanks, Paul Thumbs Up

Progwalhalla Hans delivered me the following items to make reviews for his site:

- new Little Tragedies (best new progrock band from Russia)
- Dante Inferno-4-CD-box (Shocked) , including new Nemo and Nexus composiitons)
- Spaghetti Epic 3 (including Little Tragedies and Yesterdays epics)
- Cage (great new prog from Italy)
- Cerchio d'Oro (wonderful new band from Italy)
- Index DVD (from Brazil)
- new Minimum Vital

Thumbs Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 10 2009 at 11:21
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 14:48
A 4 CD box set to review Erik! Shocked So we'll see you about August Wink Still I'm sure it will be worth it, to hear some new Nemo, so soon after Barbares.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 15:35
                Indeed Paul, it will take some hours to make a decent review of that 4-CD box Wacko

Funny to notice that after my frequent Latin Prog reviews, this thread
                                               is 'sponsored' by LatinaRomance.com LOL

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 10 2009 at 15:36
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 17:00

- A few months ago I wrote my final review for Prog Archives, this is my final post on Prog Archives because I cannot motivate myself any longer on a site that has changed into a Classic Rock Archives and that is flooded by reviews about all sorts of boring prog metal bands, obscure folk and weird electronic bands without any rock  element while interesting bands/musicians like Jimi Hendrix, The Tubes and The Stranglers have to battle against a lot of opposition by several team members who frequently do hilarious attempts ("I work so hard", "I am a volunteer", "I am honest".. etc..) to defend their often inconsequent and subjective bands addition policy. These persons behave like a cult or clan in order to keep the idea that they are part of 'the ultimate progressive rock site' while in fact they are guilty of making Prog Archives a mess: after adding bands like The Beatles, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Osibisa, JM Jarre and lots of other controversial additions, almost every band can make a claim to be added to Prog Archives, even The Bee Gees because of their genuine progrock efforts in the early days!

I would like to say sorry to my loyal PA friends but I am leaving forever and
                          will continue my progrock activities on genuine progrock sites like:

For DPRP I am planning: Early Spanish Progrock Albums and Fourty Years Italian
                      Progrock : 1969 -2009, I hope you will be as pleased with these forthcoming articles
                      as with my 101 New Progrock Bands Special, thanks for your huge support  Thumbs Up

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 20:33
CryCryCry
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 21:53
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I would like to say sorry to my loyal PA friends but I am leaving forever and
                          will continue my progrock activities on genuine progrock sites like:

be our guest! 
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 22:13
^ yeah a few will tell me " I told you so" and I concede my error in judgement...... to Erik, all the very best , but do us a favour stick to your guns this next time, no more "deja vu" returns to PA eh? I for one will find defending your re-re-re-re-return pointless and tedious......

Edited by Chris Stacey - February 13 2009 at 22:13
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 22:34
Oh well, Erik, best of luck with such a high quality site as progressiveland. Personally I think this site is better and more consistent - but that's just me I guess.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 23:53
All the best to you Erik. While I know we agree on much, I also know that when working within a group, there are times when submitting to the consensus opinion is necessary. And that exposing existing riffs to the general membership accomplishes nothing.
These two things though, are easy to say, but sometimes hard to follow through on. If this is your honest & heartfelt belief, then good wishes on your future endeavours, and thanks for all that you have contributed to PA & its' community
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2009 at 05:54
So basically Erik wants to add 2 bands that aren't Prog: The Stranglers (!) The Tubes (!!) and a Psychedelic Blues artist who defies categorisation, and because it hasn't happened we're stupid, useless and corrupt.

Nice one Erik, way to destroy your reputation. Sad day.

BTW, I just clicked on one of the links to Prog Purity that Erik provided and found a review of The Beatles!

Edited by Tony R - February 14 2009 at 06:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>