Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Poll Question: Pick your three favourites!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.51%]
6 [16.22%]
5 [13.51%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
4 [10.81%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 13:36
Back when this album came out I was anticipating it greatly and I was so excited the first time that I heard this was when it was played on the radio.  I couldn't believe how heavy it was.  Anyhow, nothing that most in this thread will appreciate, but it meets the goal of surprising me.

But we are going for non-PA bands, so I will have to give this some more thought.  Hmmm.something outside of prog that surprised me.  Confused

Edited by rushfan4 - July 21 2020 at 15:30
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 12:23
This is one of my favorite albums. It's not just one of my favorites, it's one of those albums that I consider an absolute masterpiece (I say this rarely) from every point of view, beyond my personal tastes. 

I bought it on the French island of Corsica (it is called the island of beauty), where traditional folk music groups sing medieval polyphonic songs that were sung in medieval Italy. The "corse" language is an Italian dialect, and it belongs to the Romance languages, and originated from the Renaissance Tuscan (around 1300 a. C), especially from the city of Pisa, with Genoese, and even Mediterranean influences of the most disparate, from the Calabrian to Moroccan. It resembles the Sardinian language, which is a real language, derived directly from Latin, especially for the frequent use of the "U" but in reality, deriving from the Italian of Tuscany this similarity is only a convergence. 

The polyphonic Corsican groups perform choral songs "a cappella" or with few instruments, and resemble Gregorian chant, that is to say the sacred songs of Italy but in reality they have developed a very special, endemic form. 

The Corsican language if read is very understandable for an Italian (but not for a French) and the father of the homeland (Corsica), Pasquale Paoli, who defended Corsica from the French, said that the "corse" is only a vulgar language of Italian (and he was right). The oral Corsican language is not so easily understood for an Italian, especially because of the polyphonies but when I read a text written in "corse", I understand almost everything. I am from Northern Italy, and I understand the language of the Corsica better than the language spoken in Napoli (Naples) or Sicilian.

A Filetta group is one of these polyphonic Corsican groups, and perhaps the best. I had already listened to choral songs by Muvrini, perhaps the most famous Corsican group, and by Vitalba, and I liked them very much, both for singing and for the melodies. The instrumental arrangement was not or was minimal: drums, acoustic guitar and perhaps nothing else. 

Then here's the SURPRISE. 

I buy this record, where the group A Filetta plays together with an Italian jazz musician, Paolo Fresu (Sardinian, that is the island of Sardinia, attached to Corsica), a great trumpeter, and flugelhorn player, and also together with a true classical composer, Daniele di Bonaventura, bandoneon player .... what do I listen to? 

SURPRISE: a fusion music: the polyphonic choral folk of A Filetta together with the jazz trumpet of Paolo Fresu and the tango bandoneon of Daniele di Bonaventura. 

What music is this? Folk + polyphonic vocals + jazz + tango? 

It is in my opinion a very refined, high quality syncretic music, which creates a unique and intense, truly intense atomosphere. Enjoy it, I hope it will be a real surprise for you.

EDIT: I VOSTRI SGUARDI is the first song of this fantastic album DANSE MEMOIRE, DANSE. I discovered A Filetta by listening to their song which, I say it from now on is my nomination. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- Since then I have searched for their songs as much as possible, and I have bought other albums by internet, they are always beautiful but not exceptional like this one. 
On youtube I found many of their songs, including this one that expresses well the intensity with which they sing.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 22 2020 at 03:03
"Happiness is real only when shared"
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:58
Dvar - Gyandarvaal

I stumbled across this some years ago and thought: WTF, but I really love it. It's very quirky. Dvar are from Russia, and they keep their identities secret. This has lead to many speculations about who they are (one of the more famous being that it was really the secret project of Michael Jackson!). They also claim that the music is communicated to them in dreams from a giant bee called Dvar.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:18
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Shhhhhhhhh I have a secret to tell you Shhhhhhhhhhh

I call this my nightly miracle.  I turn water to wine every night.  Switch your water glass to a wine glass and .......voila!

ShhhhhhhhhWink

This reminds me of some math humor:

LOL I might have to appropriate that for one of our prog chat groups that talks a LOT about beer.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

One might say that such coincidences are bound to happen, and, say for the conspiracy theorists, the more one looks for certain patterns the more one will be prone to confirmation bias. Last night I watched a program on Donald Trump and conspiracy theories on CNN. I used to be convinced that I had ESP, and I remember our talks about coincidences and other strange things.

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet). And by a not coincidence, I played Hamlet in a play called Haunted House Hamlet.   I liked to fancifully tell the story that I wore a codpiece made of real cod when playing Hamlet, but it died and fell off as I failed to water it, and I should have gone with, say, a blowfishpiece or a suckerfishpiece.

I had mentioned elsewhere (not here, elsewhere, but another site entirely), that I feel that the people who are not protesting peacefully in Portland, are indirectly responsible for 45 feeling he can get away with bringing in the Feds without a by-your-leave from local and state government.  Or, maybe directly, as in being supporters who have come in to discredit the peaceful protesters, and therefore more or less in cahoots with 45.  I do tend to try to avoid that kind of thinking and prefer to consider what one can do to counteract what one disagrees with (ie peaceful protest, or at least, at my age and abilities, being supportive of such peaceful protest).

That is hilarious, about the codpiece.  When I lived in Santa Cruz, they used to put on the Miss California pageant every year.  A peaceful protest began where, in a parade, women wore elabourate costumes made of meat (long before Lady Gaga thought of it). The Myth Kalifornia march had Ann Simonton at it's forefront.  Here's an article from the local entertainment paper about it, in 1986.  https://goodtimes.sc/cover-stories/the-f-word/
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:05
Haha, that's good humour. Clap
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:41

I call this my nightly miracle.  I turn water to wine every night.  Switch your water glass to a wine glass and .......voila!

ShhhhhhhhhWink

This reminds me of some math humor:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:37

The song starts with "I am not Jesus though I have the same initials. I am the man who stays home and does the dishes". I too am not Jesus, and while I do not have the same initials, I too am the man who stays home and does the dishes." Oh and I would like to make that water wine even if it's impossible. 

ShhhhhhhhhWink

Also I think we have spoken of coincidences in other places (no coincidence there!).  Paranormal?  Angels?  Some other kinds of signs? Complete accidents?  Who knows.  All I know is, they happen.

One might say that such coincidences are bound to happen, and, say for the conspiracy theorists, the more one looks for certain patterns the more one will be prone to confirmation bias. Last night I watched a program on Donald Trump and conspiracy theories on CNN. I used to be convinced that I had ESP, and I remember our talks about coincidences and other strange things.

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet). And by a not coincidence, I played Hamlet in a play called Haunted House Hamlet.   I liked to fancifully tell the story that I wore a codpiece made of real cod when playing Hamlet, but it died and fell off as I failed to water it, and I should have gone with, say, a blowfishpiece or a suckerfishpiece.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2020 at 10:44
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:28

The song starts with "I am not Jesus though I have the same initials. I am the man who stays home and does the dishes". I too am not Jesus, and while I do not have the same initials, I too am the man who stays home and does the dishes." Oh and I would like to make that water wine even if it's impossible. 

ShhhhhhhhhWink

Also I think we have spoken of coincidences in other places (no coincidence there!).  Paranormal?  Angels?  Some other kinds of signs? Complete accidents?  Who knows.  All I know is, they happen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:21
Thanks Greg.

Ah, by the way. It actually will not be a vacation, hahah. We stay in our summerhouse in winter too. I'll be working very hard, till September. Perhaps I'll take a short vacation, after that. In summer our summer place is a goddamn crowded place, but in winter, like a ghost town. Sometimes I go out, and see literally nobody during hours of walk. (Which is great, if not all the time) Also, we seemed to have to stay in Ankara (the capital of Turkey) till recently, so this is why I dreamt of all the stuff of being a poll creator and all. Haha.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

@Lewian: Clever! The surprise was a surprise. I'll have to take some time think of something appropirate.

@Nickie: Yes, I definitely had Gomer echoing in my head. Now, how to make it stop!

@Özgür: We'll miss your contributions. Enjoy your time at summerhouse. Having limited Internet is not a bad thing too. 
LOL @ the Gomer earworm..... LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:13
Note: Air - "Radian" is my nomination, see bottom of post.

- Ozgur, I'm sorry you won't be participating this round, but I might not feel too bad for your for having a summerhouse to go to. That is if it is just a little vacation, and not some need to go to the area (repairs, family situation etc.). It's always a hassle and work when making such trips, and taking care of a property can be a major headache.

------------------------------------------------------

I thought of a few surprises. My biggest surprise involved an Australian band. My brother was friends with band members in Cairns, I moved there for a year when I was 19. They had their own bar, and I was a bartender (but not there, that would be too much coincidence). ;). The night before I came back to Canada, my brother and I went see that band, Johno's Blues band live at their bar. In fact, the band's "Don't Knock the Croc" was the first thing my brother played on a jukebox on my first day in Cairns. When I got back home to Vancouver I put on the radio and "Don't Knock the Croc" was playing. Hey, don;t knock the coincidence even if it sounds like a crock of kaka. While that was a hit in Australia, I don't remember it ever playing here before or after. My other big coincidence surprise was at about the same time. I had just bought the CD of Kate Bush's The Kick Inside and was listening to it for the first time. At the same time I was reading (I liked to multi-task) a wonderful book about Paul Theroux's travels around China called Riding the Iron Rooster. Kate Bush has a song called "Strange Phenomena" on it and I was hearing it for the first time which is about strange coincidences. At the exact same time that the book mentioned the Buddhist chant "Om Mani Padme Hum", Kate Bush started singing the chant. If I had been the superstitious type, I might have seen this as some sort of revelation. I've heard less compelling to me coincidences put forward by superstitious types as evidence for the supernatural. I did have some interest in the paranormal for sure.

I'm going for what seems a lesser coincidence as my surprising choice even if it's not amazing in any way. I had just got into a dark BBC comedy radio series from writer Chris Morris called Blue Jam from the 90s (this wasn't very long ago and I found it on archive.org and an rss podcast feed -- I never heard it on the radio), and each episode combined rather surreal, psychological and sometimes grotesque sketches with songs (very dark comedy). One of the songs in one of the Blue Jam episodes was Pulp's "Dishes".

Pulp's Dishes has been a quite popular song that I had heard before, but I, being a pattern seeking animal, have thought before that quite a lot of that could refer to me, and yes, of course this is quite absurd, but still, and none of it is that surprising: The song starts with "I am not Jesus though I have the same initials. I am the man who stays home and does the dishes". I too am not Jesus, and while I do not have the same initials, I too am the man who stays home and does the dishes. Oh, and I would like to make that water wine even if it's impossible, and get those dishes clean, anything is possible.

Anyway, I very rarely listen to music on the radio now, but in the car I put on the radio (the night before I had listened to the Blue Jam episode that played the Pulp song), unusually tuned it to a music radio station (normally I just listen to the news or use bluetooth), and what was on? If you guessed Pulp's Dishes then you are correct. Having recently fallen for Blue Jam as much as I did, it did feel fairly significant.

I guess plenty will know it already, but here is the song:

Pulp - "Dishes"

=============================

EDIT: Oh wait I had a bigger and freakier,or not necessarily freaky but beautiful, experience with another song from around the same time, the Eels "Beautiful Freak". After listening to this this past year this has also came up in a seeingly coincidental manner, and also in a more I could have expected it expected manner. I did a topic on 90s poppy and alt/ indie music, and this got mentioned when I was planning to list it next. The song also featured in Blue Jam. With Eel's Beautiful Freak I am coincidentally both beautiful and a freak, the beautiful part might be the most surprising of all. Or freakishly beautiful one might say even if conventionally very attractive and desirable.

======================

This was the choice that first came to me. I was really surprised to like Air's 10 000 Hz Legend album as much as I did. It became my favourite by Air despite having having dismissed it before as inferior to both the Moon Safari and Talk Talk albums (which I loved). I had read many bad reviews of it and internalised those before hearing it (biased me). When I first heard it (but I guess I wasn't really listening properly --maybe distractions) I had it in my head that it was bad, and in a topic at PA I was hypercritical of the album. Years later I did decide to buy the album and I loved it immediately and said to myself, "What was wrong with me?". It;s also because I do very obsessed with certain albums sometimes, and so anything different will not appeal, and I was so into other Air at the time. I still feel embarrassed about having been do dismissive of it in an Air topic that I created. I was careless and judgmental and had clearly not listened properly nor was I perhaps in the right "headspace" at the time. Hey, we all get things wrong sometimes, but it was my air of arrogance and dismissiveness that bothers me. I like to say that we all have biases, but try to keep an open mind and open ears (Doctor, heal thyself!)

"Radian" is one I loved best from it.

This is my current nomination (its alternated between all three of these choices):

That and "Sex Born Poison". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGDb7Ce8mrg

Edited by Logan - July 22 2020 at 13:35
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:58
^ Thank you Geo (mathman0806) and Raffaella (Raff). You're so kind.

It will be a long vacation, and if I don't take the preschool teaching job this year, it may be a very long one too. As my real job (book translating) grants me the freedom to be wherever I like. I love city life too, perhaps we'll come and go whenever we wish.

Edited by Shadowyzard - July 21 2020 at 10:19
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:49
Özgür, hope you enjoy your vacation, even if a short one! We'll miss you, but you'll still find us here when you come back Wink!

Anyway, this is going to be difficult... At the moment,  I can't think of anything that surprised me music-wise - not because it never happened, but because my memory is not working as well as it shouldLOL. I'll try to come up with something nice.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:15
Also, Carmen is on PA. Good album!

Edited by mathman0806 - July 21 2020 at 09:16
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:13
Nice to have your contribution here Pedro! Well, I can kind of guess what's going to happen if I tell you that technically this poll is about songs and not whole albums, so I won't. We'll happily live with this (although I cannot promise that everyone will listen to this in its entirety). Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:09
Hi,

Still one of the greatest surprises I have ever heard ... magnificent album, progressive to the core, Spanish to the core ... but a band from LA?

You gotta be kidding me ... and one night they blew out David Bowie and Jethro Tull ... who immediately took the bass player, ending their incredible set of albums.

Carmen - Fandangos in Space

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:08
@Lewian: Clever! The surprise was a surprise. I'll have to take some time think of something appropirate.

@Nickie: Yes, I definitely had Gomer echoing in my head. Now, how to make it stop!

@Özgür: We'll miss your contributions. Enjoy your time at summerhouse. Having limited Internet is not a bad thing too. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 08:53
LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 08:42
Thank you dear Nickie. I'll have enough megabytes to see what you're all doing, perhaps also post plain text messages, I guess.

I might even lurk and wait for the opportunity to attack Pedro. Star J/K

Have fun, y'all. Heart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>