FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBonus Material

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonus Material
    Posted: March 21 2017 at 16:12
So, records get rereleased all of the time with bonus material. It has been my experience that these "extras" are not usually worth the inflated price tag for a record I probably already own. What are your thoughts on this and what records have been rereleased with bonus material that can't be missed.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 16:26
Here is a fairly recent thread http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106270&KW=reissues&PID=5320031#5320031 that may have some answers for you.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 16:34
right on. Thanks...didn't see it
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 17:02
For me, some are worth the the extra price, some are not. Many times, you realize the reason as to why those songs were left out, while on others you wonder why that beautiful song was not included in the original release. Is a hit or miss I guess.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 20:34
Properly recorded bonus tracks are great. They can enhance my interest in a band in that album session or year. If they outclass many of the album tracks,  then you can see that the band were attempting an album with a different style. Several strong bonus tracks can prove a band never lost it if the album wasn't very good. Attempting a different style of music is due to critics being harsh previously or the band bored of the same stuff. That's why I never rate a band on album tracks alone if there are some very good bonus tracks. It's dumb to rate a band only on what was released on an album unless they had no more material to add. A classic prog band could have done a bad disco album for a laugh and had 10 great extra prog tracks they didn't release. That band is still awesome then and just made a silly decision. But some people stupidly ignore anything not on the album and just say 'nah they're crap now' ;)

Edited by dr prog - March 21 2017 at 20:36
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 22:58
What I don't understand is the idea of new albums being made with bonus tracks... why don't they just release them as part of the album, what makes them bonus tracks instead of album tracks... it just doesn't make much sense... unless perhaps if they are doing a concept album and they have some great songs that don't fit the concept. As for older albums re-released with bonus tracks, sometimes they do have some great stuff... live songs specially (some good stuff on Camel albums)... and many would consider Jethro Tull to be the kings of great non-album tracks (that have made their way to bonus tracks). One of the songs that comes to my mind that I liked best on it's bonus extra version is "Lady Fantasy" from Camel, somehow the alternate take released as a bonus track on CD was more enjoyable to me... perhaps I would have to listen to both versions again to see if I still think the same, but mostly I think it's because the official release was sped up a bit for the album, and this other take has the real playing speed, and I usually prefer things as they were actually played... plus, the song benefits from being slower.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 02:22
Bonus cuts now are usually for specific markets (Europe, Japan) and sometimes retail outlets. Sabbath's 13 had an extra track for Best Buy, an American outlet. It wasn't even included on the box set edition. The bonus thing is a whole marketing strategy with numerous different editions of albums looking to fleece the fan, er, I mean provide more material than expected e.g. the box set of Purple's Now What!? went up to a 5 CD edition (3 of which are EPs, 1 live set and DVD). DVDs are another way to create market conditions.

Japan usually gets any extra cut or two as CDs are more expensive. Yes' Fly From Here is best enjoyed via the Japanese edition. I have not seen the DVD. They are probably a good idea if they are hi res versions; less so if they are interviews (watch once only type thing).

I find the Steven Wilson remaster set are worthwhile upgrades but you may want to hang onto your originals as the two listening experiences are booth worthwhile but different (Yes - Relayer).

The first 3 Blue Oyster Cult albums are actually enhanced by the well chosen bonus material. Often the extra material gets put on a second disc. It's good to include B sides, relevant (officially released on original format) live cuts and sometimes comedy moments  (Iron Maiden - Mission From 'Arry - which I recall from the single). This is btw the most venomous, vitriolic band argument ever hence the official release.

Btw I think it's a good idea to keep this sort of thread contemporary (now and again). It keeps the ideas fresh and updated and helps we consumers make choices. One thing is for sure I never buy a new release on sight. Not now. Often there is a following edition (Bowie - Next Day) that completes the set. I was lucky there, it was actually being sold for less than the single CD which was also available in two versions.

I wonder how things would have been had record companies tried this sort of stunt, um, I mean, approached audiences with these novel and innovative ideas in the vinyl only daze. Apart from the 7 and 12 inch singles. This was fun, now it's very serious.

Due diligence.

Caveat emptor.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 03:02
Bonus tracks are very seldomly interesting...
Unless there are leftover tracks (for lack of space or other reasons) from that recording session or a non-album single or a B-side (two very good examples are Twilight Alehouse and A Day In The Life of Maurice Haylett ((Caravan)... I guess a lot of Beatles albums could have some very cool bonus tracks : ex: Sgt Pepper and All You Need Is Love)
Early Traffic album reissues  hold some worthy bonus tracks, but also a few uninteresting ones.

often bonus tracks are even a hindrance at enjoying the album proper, as they're played right after the album... And shouldn't be... these bonus tracks should be playable from a different menu. If they should be on the same disc at all.

What I find even as an unworthy bonus track:

an alternate take of a track that's present on the album
a live version of an alternate track
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 05:33
The Bonus tracks on the double CD of The Road of Bones by IQ are even better than the main album.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 06:31
I sometimes seriously consider paying more to not get bonus material.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 07:28
What if somebody adds extra material to a concept album?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 07:51
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

We kill them.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 08:09

"When The Tigers Broke Free" was added to Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" and it does not denature the concept of the album.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the studio version of "What Shall We Do Now?" to be added after "Empty Spaces" in a remastered version of "The Wall"... Even the overpriced immersion box-set doesn't include it!! What were they thinking?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 08:15

I think it worked for Arena's Contagion Max.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 09:15
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

I sometimes seriously consider paying more to not get bonus material.
I am with you on that.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 09:30
There are many bonus tracks I wish I hadn't heard.  Wakeman made the point that with vinyl you had 20 minutes a side to get it right - the technology provided the built in quality control.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 11:57
It all depends on the nature of the extras.  If it is a live version of a song already on the CD or an alternate mix, I don't really want it - they rarely enhance my listening.  If there are previously unreleased songs or B-sides then that is new material and I want to hear it.  For example, my copy of Three of a Perfect Pair has several mixes for Sleepless.  Even though there are noticeable differences, I do not want to hear them since I have already heard the song a few minutes before.  For archival purposes, I still don't care.  Octoberon by Barclay James Harvest added different mixes and edits as well, which I do not care for, but Down to Earth has a few extras not found on the original album which I quite enjoy.  It is never the extras that spur me to acquire the album.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 15:32
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The Bonus tracks on the double CD of The Road of Bones by IQ are even better than the main album.

..word...
progmanjum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 16:59
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I agree totally. Today. Next week I'll think CD 1 is better. But that's a good thing.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 17:29
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

There are many bonus tracks I wish I hadn't heard.  Wakeman made the point that with vinyl you had 20 minutes a side to get it right - the technology provided the built in quality control.

I vaguely remember that. When i was collecting albums back in the dark ages back in the glorious seventies the only bonus material that you would get would be on anthologies or greatest hits releases. Focus, "Dutch Masters" had that "fast " version of Hocus Pocus. I think they threw it on "Ship of Memories" when it came out on CD."Yesterdays" by Yes had "America" and  I remember buying "Classic Yes" just to get the 7" record that had previously unreased versions of Roundabout and "I've Seen All Good People". I still have it and I don't think I even played the 33 1/3 LP which was the main record. ! There were a few others that I can't think of right now but it was cool back then to get that extra different version of a track back then when there was no friggin' internet. I bought the Gentle Giant box sets and remasters on CD just because I'm a Gentle Giant freak.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>