Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBand Biographies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 21>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 09:20
I noticed that the biography of Sesselberg (Progressive Electrinic) is incomplete. I wrote something. Where I can send it so that someone can read it and maybe add it? Smile
Per Fortuna C’è Sempre Qualcuno Che Pianta Le Querce Senza Preoccuparsi Di Vivere Troppo A Lungo Per Raccogliere Le Ghiande
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 11:29
post it here and we will take care of it, thanks Thumbs Up
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:51

Sesselberg is a project really innovative that since its inception in 1970 has anticipated the explosion of the use of Synth, in fact the two brothers Wolf-J and Eckhart Sesselberg (from which the band takes its name) gave the start in Germany to the experimentation with the modular synth and electronic instrumentation in general.

Wolf-J had worked as assistant at the Hamburg Deutsches Schauspielhaus where in 1960, while he was experimenting new electronic sounds for the Opera “Aniara”, under the influence of Swedish composer Karl-Birger Blomdah, kindled his passion for future professional works in terms of films, experimental music and painting. Unlike his brother who became acquainted with the electronic music field professionally, Eckhart came up to it at 11 years making experiments with a walkie-talkies (encouraged by his older brother). The result was a precursor of what would become a synthesizer (!), completed in 1970 and of which we can fortunately appreciate its sound in the album “Synthetik 1”. 

The real special thing, in addition to their special approaches to electronic music, is the absolute lack of traditional synths characteristics such as memory, in fact the sounds were set via one of many knobs and spontaneously generated. Their performances often took place in art galleries or Modern Art museums, where besides their sounds they also offered seminars to instruct the public into the art of synthesizer sounds. So the public consisted of lovers of the sounds, Academy students, gallery owners and some curious that could be considered very exclusive, and after all this was the same public of firsts Kraftwerk or Conrad Schnitzler or even Cluster.

Were released only 1000 copies of the album often bought at the end of the performances, so there’s no wonder if his music has been so hidden.

Their only one self-released Opera “Synthetik 1” contains some performances, fortunately recorded, between 1971 and 1973 of adventurous synths far from musical canons and totally devoted to experimentation. Unfortunately the album is often underrated and it needs a more attention for its comprehension, however it represents an innovative obscure kraut / Electronic Work worthy to be appreciated. 

Per Fortuna C’è Sempre Qualcuno Che Pianta Le Querce Senza Preoccuparsi Di Vivere Troppo A Lungo Per Raccogliere Le Ghiande
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:54
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

post it here and we will take care of it, thanks Thumbs Up

I tried to summarize the most important information on the internet...If you think something is missing, it can always add...Wink
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 16:15
Thanks, passed on to the Electronic team to refine (if needed) and add
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 17:17
Great review info on sesselberg.

Must get onto more bios when I get my laptop back from repair. Too hard to touch type on iPod can someone write a bio for life?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 02:31
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Must get onto more bios when I get my laptop back from repair. Too hard to touch type on iPod can someone write a bio for life?

Sorry. Do you want a bio for seesselberg's life. For example something about their career or what they are doing today? Something to complete these information?? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 02:33
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Sorry. Unhappy
Do you want a bio for Seesselnerg's life? Something that complete these information such as something about their career or what they're doing today??

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 13:35
^ no I think Scott just commended your bio Thumbs Up
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 14:01
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

And so we move on to Magma (once Life is finished...! Tongue).

Smile

Life was apparently added, and I have finished Magma, thanks Dave Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 06:14

^ no I think Scott just commended your bio Thumbs Up

Oh perfect!. So many thanks to ScottBig smile...
I continue to search for other bands that needs a bio...
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 07:44

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

And so we move on to Magma (once Life is finished...! Tongue).

Smile

Life was apparently added, and I have finished Magma, thanks Dave Big smile

Nice one Thanos! Approve

Glad to see this thread is moving forward again after a bit of a lull.

There is still some info on previous pages for Mathematicians and Silent Exile that someone might want to create something from...  Embarrassed
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 07:51
Originally posted by Utnapishtim Utnapishtim wrote:

I continue to search for other bands that needs a bio...

These are the ones we have left:

Artists without Bios
BANDS WITHOUT DESCRIPTION

Moby Trip

Moore, Steve

Mundi Domini

Neal, Ian

Nu & Apa Neagra

Oryzhein

Panta Rei

Panta Rhei

Pantheon

Platitude

Pye Fyte

Radiomobel

Rainy Season

Ritmia

Rockenfield / Speer

Roots Of Echo, The

Salamander

Scarlet Thread

Schizophonia

Silver Apples

Sonic Debris

Tanned Leather

Thonk

Triangulus

Twilight

U I Blue

Udraya

Less than 30 from an original total of around 80!!  Great work by everyone who has contributed! Clap

Edited by yam yam - March 16 2014 at 14:10
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 07:58
And for starters Moby Trip should be fairly straightforward - an interview with John and Ray Stroud of the band was facilitated for Aural Innovations by Cranium Music's Richard Stockwell: http://www.aural-innovations.com/issues/issue3/mobytrip.html. There should be sufficient here to create a bio I would think. Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 08:34
Steve Moore is a prolific artist indeed - he is on bandcamp for one thing, with 20 releases from his various projects available at the last count: http://stevemoore2600.bandcamp.com/

Albums
Pangaea Ultima (2013, Spectrum Spools)
Light Echoes (2012, Cuneiform Records)
Brainstorm (2012, Temporary Residence Limited)
Demo 2004 (2011, Moon Glyph)
Primitive Neural Pathways (2010, Static Caravan)
Vaalbara (2008, Noiseville)
The Henge (2007, Relapse Records)
Demo 2003 (2003, not on label)

Singles/EPs
Zen Spiders (2013, Future Times)
Panther Moderns (2012, L.I.E.S.)
Zero-Point Field (2011, L.I.E.S.)
Speicher 67 (2010, Kompakt Extra)
Fever Dream (2009, Mexican Summer)

as Lovelock
Maybe Tonight 12” single (2012, Internasjonal)
Burning Feeling (2012, Internasjonal)
Pino Grigio (2010, Mindless Boogie)

as Gianni Rossi
Star Vehicle: Original Motion Picture Score (2011, Permanent Vacation)
Gutterballs: Original Motion Picture Score (2009, Permanent Vacation)

with Zombi
Slow Oscillations 7” (2011, Static Caravan)
Escape Velocity (2011, Relapse Records)
Spirit Animal (2009, Relapse Records)
Sapphire 12” single (2009, Throne of Blood)
Maserati/Zombi split LP (2009, Temporary Residence Limited)
Surface to Air (2006, Relapse Records)
Digitalis EP (2006, Relapse Records)
Cosmos (2004, Relapse Records)
Twilight Sentinel EP (2003, not on label)
Zombi (2001, not on label)

with Miracle
Mercury (2013, Planet Mu)
Good Love 12” single (2011, House Anxiety)
Fluid Window EP (2011, House Anxiety)

with Titan
Sweet Dreams (2010, Relapse Records)

with Microwaves
Attack Decay Sustain Release (2004, New Addition)
System 2 (2002, Cenotaph Records)
Professional Systems Overload EP (2001, Cenotaph Records)

more at Discogs 

He doesn't give much away on any of these sites - they all say "Electronic music composer with releases on Cuneiform, Kompakt, L.I.E.S., Mexican Summer, Relapse, Spectrum Spools and more", There's a little bit more at http://dangerousagerecords.bigcartel.com/product/primitive-neural-pathways-lp, and http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/prod/SteveMoore-LightEchoes-Cuneiform-85492.html - he is now actually signed to Cuneiform, and there is a short piece on him here which might contain something of use: http://www.cuneiformrecords.com/bandshtml/stevemoore.html:

"Synthesist Steve Moore is one half of the noted 70s-inspired, synth/prog duo Zombi. In addition to the five albums released by Zombi, he has a prolific and thriving solo career, releasing music that ranges from electronica/dance to trance music. Light Echoes is Moore's debut on Cuneiform and is a 70' long electronic meditation, a continuation of the German 'space music' made famous in the '70s, but with today's aesthetic and Moore's own affinities firmly in place.

Previously, in trying to translate his analog adventures to the stage, he encountered an obstacle that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. “After a couple years of awkward, laptop-driven live sets, I realized I was doing it wrong,” Moore explains. “I was looking at these shows only from my perspective, too concerned with how I could re-produce my songs live to realize that these songs didn’t work in a live setting anyway. I thought about what I, as a member of the audience, would enjoy, and came to the conclusion that ‘songs’ are basically the last thing I want to hear when I see a guy bring a bunch of synthesizers on stage. I want to hear sounds. I want to hear what those synthesizers can do. Which brings us to this new album.”

Moore made all the sounds on Light Echoes himself, using a bank of vintage synthesizers and associated gear. He recorded the six tracks himself as well, working live in one or two takes, in his home studio on six days spread out over the course of about a year. Light Echoes is about as personal and intimate a sonic statement as you’ll encounter from any kind of artist.

True to Moore’s avowed intentions, the possibilities inherent in his old-school analog equipment are explored comprehensively over the course of Light Echoes. It takes you on an inner cosmic journey."
But I reckon a message to him via facebook might well bear more succulent fruit... (link above)  Smile

Edit: Interview with Steve Moore which might give a little more insight into the man here: http://theouterchurch.co.uk/post/35053451985 Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - March 05 2014 at 08:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 08:36
I forgot for Seesselberg biography to say that there is an error. The name of the band is wrong I wrote it with only one "E".
Can someone correct it?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 16:30
yes ok now
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 18:12
Very little info found for Mundi Domini. Even the "File Under Jurassic Rock - An Encyclopaedia and Guide to Progressive Rock and Related Musics Chapter MO-MZ Edition 2010", compiled, written and edited by Carsten Busch & Friends - has only two lines on them - they describe them as the Canadian answer to the Dutch band Flairck, but with greater use of vocals (in French). http://www.calameo.com/books/0027057433ea9b05d7ff7.

The main driving force was Sean Lonergan (piano, percussion, vocals, guitar). From http://seanlonergan.ca/bio/ (translated roughly from the French):

"Even before he started school, Sean Lonergan was introduced to music by learning the violin . It is however the piano and harmonic possibilities that eventually actually stimulate his interest. Through Mundi Domini group established in 1998 with friends he discovered a passion for music creation . He composed his first pieces inspired by Celtic music. After recording an album with his band in 2002 , he began his university studies in instrumental composition at the Université Laval. However, having always been attracted to music technology , he left his hometown of Quebec to complete his BA in electroacoustic at Concordia University . There are nevertheless instrumental music never abandons pursuing his musical piano reflection and through a growing interest in the guitar. While pursuing his electroacoustic experimentation , it remains firmly rooted in tradition as it is in a melodic and harmonic language that recognizes the most.

They were a very young group (average age 18-19 years) and in almost complete anonymity, recorded the one of the best discs of 2002 for any lover of folk and progressive rock. The music is soft, poetic and full of emotions and "Mundi Domini" is an album that communicates directly with the feelings of the listener.

Full band members:
Mélanie Caron (piano, guitar, vocals)
Odrée Couture-Bédard (flute, sitar, guitar, piccolo, vocals)
Rae Couture (flute, vocals)
Stéphane Doyon (accordion, narration, vocals, percussion)
Sean Lonergan (piano, percussion, vocals guitar)
Annabel Pompilio (bass, vocals)

Sean Trane's review of their only (self/titled) album suggests he may know a bit more: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=156661.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 07:47
Don't understand why Ian Neal is in this list. Ermm

Scott actually added him to Symphonic Prog, and toroddfuglesteg (who at the time was also a member of the team) interviewed him (July 2011): http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79449. He has a bandcamp, facebook, loads of info, and a reveiw of his latest album in the July 2013 issue of 'Prog' magazine. Confused

Everything you need to know about him is under the 'about' tab at https://www.facebook.com/pages/ian-neal/130308120365154.

LOL! - Iván will have a fit if he finds out there is an entry in Symphonic Prog without a bio!!  LOL

Sort it Scott, or your gaffer will have your guts for garters! Tongue

Edit: Only an album cover as a pic at the moment - there is a photo of him (as used in a feature on the man from 2012 in 'Prog' magazine) at http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275800/Article/images/12671742/2899731.png. (taken from the 'Belper People' article on him at http://www.belperpeople.co.uk/Birdsong-poetry-prog-rock-combine-ambitious-album/story-12671742-detail/story.html).

Perhaps usable with a couple of the trees on the left felled? LOL

Tongue

Edited by yam yam - March 13 2014 at 15:20
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:02
Nu & Apa Neagra bio can be found at: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/NUAPANEAGRA:

"NU & Apa Neagră is a psychedelic ethno-drone collective from Timisoara & Bucharest, Romania. The group was formed in 2001 by the visual artist and baglama saz-player Sasa-Liviu Stoianovici and Alexandru Hegyesi.

Formed in Timisoara, Romania, by Stoianovici & Hegyesi, the NU & Apa Neagră sound project deals with a mix between traditional tunes, improvised vocals and spacey electronics. It started in 2001, as NU, being at the time more of a folk/free form music project.
Representing Romanian underground psychedelia, the group toured Germany twice in 2006, presenting their CDR 'At Gardina', which, in the meantime, received some great reviews. The group played club gigs and also festivals. NU's music has had airplay at radio stations like WFMU or Freies Radio Kassel, among others...
After some changes and studio work in 2007, NU 'reincarnated' as NU & Apa Neagră and released the OMAG album with the Berlin Lollipoppe Shoppe label in June 2008. The tracks have been recorded both in Berlin, Germany and Timisoara, Romania. The sound has became darker, being influenced by various trips in the mountains and forests of Romania. Field recordings, ancient instruments, strange overdubbing techniques, they all create a rough ethno-psychedelic sound, definitely a trademark of NU & APA NEAGRA. The title of the album is inspired by the very poisonous plant Omag, found in the traditional pharmaceutical universe of Romanians (Aconitum napellus). There are 13 original tracks, the 14th one being a deep and strange mix done by Welsh Alan Holmes (Ectogram, Parking Non-Stop).
Already in 2009 work for the new album NU & Apa Neagră - Descântecul Apei Negre/Black Water Incantation which will be out in February 2012."

Sasha Liviu Stoianovici – saz, voice, instruments, loop sampler
Alexandru Hegyesi – accoustic bass
Vlad Sturdza - guitar
Calin Torsan - woodwinds

Note: The 'Descântecul Apei Negre/Black Water Incantation' album was actually released on 25th November 2011 (Lollipop Shop ‎– LSCD 011), and needs adding: http://www.discogs.com/Nu-Apa-Neagr%C4%83-Desc%C3%A2ntecul-Apei-Negre/release/3329357
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 21>