FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew IQ album to begin production 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 07:46
Given that recording of  IQ's albums tend to progress at glacial speed I wouldn't expect anything before late 2014 at the earliest Wink.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 07:58
LOL

Here's hoping anyway.

I'm looking forward to hearing how Edwards and Holmes sound like now, they were the real highlight of Frequency for me.

Strike that, I just saw that Paul Cook is back behind the drums! What!?!? I didn't know that.
Anyway that's what wiki says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_(band)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 09:39
Yep, the Cookie monster rejoined late in 2009, and they are almost back to where they started from (Mark Ridout and Carmine Brudenell notwithstanding). One day I reckon Martin Orford will have a change of heart (or run out of money - not everyone downloads everything they own illegally, it must be said!) and maybe the classic line up will play on stage together again some time - even if only as a one-off Christmas Gig...Well, we'll see... Smile

Edited by yam yam - May 29 2013 at 09:41
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:20
The classic line up Will once again pay major divit ends, but for now I think it's a great line up. Too bad there is no more Jowitt, but it's neat to have the original bass player back in Tom Esau. Awesome!!!

Oh and I should say that I don't mind that IQ move at Glacial speed as some of you have said here. IQ difinately have have a formula that is working. Boy. Ever since the EVER album
IQ have really been the best band in Neo Prog history. Hands down.
I say, ' let them be snails in the studio!!' keep in mind, FREQUENCY was an incredible album and that will be hard to top, so IQ may have to change things up a bit sound wise to keep us all intersted once again.

:)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:38
^ Indeed, the curent line-up is superb, Neil Durant being an excellent keyboard player and an IQ fan himself for more than 25 years. He actually ran the very first on-line mailing list for IQ, 'It All Posts Here' in the early 90's before the Internet really took off and the IQ website started, and of course played with two other very fine bands in Sphere³ and Grey Lady Down.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 16:28
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

^ Indeed, the curent line-up is superb, Neil Durant being an excellent keyboard player and an IQ fan himself for more than 25 years. He actually ran the very first on-line mailing list for IQ, 'It All Posts Here' in the early 90's before the Internet really took off and the IQ website started, and of course played with two other very fine bands in Sphere³ and Grey Lady Down.

Very very freakin cool. Didn't know that. Neil Durant is an artist I'm a little unfamiliar with. Anyway, very nice to know.
Thank you.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 02:07
That Sphere3 album is a real gem ( and still not on PA for some reason). I saw them play live about 10-12 years ago at a festival that included Martin Orford's solo band and The Flower Kings were headlining. Someone might remind me where it was as I've forgottenLOL
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 09:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

That Sphere3 album is a real gem ( and still not on PA for some reason). I saw them play live about 10-12 years ago at a festival that included Martin Orford's solo band and The Flower Kings were headlining. Someone might remind me where it was as I've forgottenLOL

It was on a Saturday evening, the fourth of August 2001, the day before my 46th birthday, at the three-day Whitchurch Music Festival, which ran from Friday to Sunday, and also included more wonderful bands, such as Landmarq, Primitive Instinct, Grey Lady Down & World Turtle. Approve
Regarding the absence of Sphere³ from progarchives, I'll deal with that little matter later on today... Wink 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 14:46

It was on a Saturday evening, the fourth of August 2001, the day before my 46th birthday, at the three-day Whitchurch Music Festival, which ran from Friday to Sunday, and also included more wonderful bands, such as Landmarq, Primitive Instinct, Grey Lady Down & World Turtle. Approve
Regarding the absence of Sphere³ from progarchives, I'll deal with that little matter later on today... Wink 

cheersThumbs Up
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 15:06

Yep, the Cookie monster rejoined late in 2009, and they are almost back to where they started from (Mark Ridout and Carmine Brudenell notwithstanding). One day I reckon Martin Orford will have a change of heart (or run out of money - not everyone downloads everything they own illegally, it must be said!) and maybe the classic line up will play on stage together again some time - even if only as a one-off Christmas Gig...Well, we'll see... Smile

woowoo, yeah, color me excited, IQ always does great stuff.

Sadly, I don't see the classic line up reuniting for anything, there were some pretty harsh words between the Orford and Holmes/Nichols camp.  I don't see those three working together again.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 15:09

cheersThumbs Up

No problem Richard, and regarding the matter of Sphere³: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93781. LOL
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 15:18
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

woowoo, yeah, color me excited, IQ always does great stuff.

Sadly, I don't see the classic line up reuniting for anything, there were some pretty harsh words between the Orford and Holmes/Nichols camp.  I don't see those three working together again.

You're probably right Tom, but time is a great healer, and there were some very difficult times for all of them just prior to Peter Nicholls' departure, which I think were put into perspective were when their dear friend Ledge passed away a few years later. Never say never, eh? Strange things happen on this planet of ours... LOL
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 15:27
^ I'm with you David, that would really be great.  They did some great stuff together.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 17:04
OK...An update from the horse's mouth(s).
...With some music too!!

Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 01:46
'will sound like IQ' (Pete Nicholls)

phew that's a reliefSmile

the annual Xmas gig in London is later than normal (21st rather than around the second wekk in Dec that is normal). That may well be better for me. Its a long time since I saw IQ live. Would be just after Andy Edwards replaced Cookie probably 2006 I guess.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 09:58
Gotta love that dam horses mouth!!!

^^^ thank you Yami!!! Everything sounds like its in full propulsion.

As Dream Theater, Fates Warning and even Queensryche (minus Tate) have all released very decent albums, I really can't imagine my Neo Prog Heros letting me down at all. I have full confidence that IQ will release the best album of 2014 if it does come out then? We shall see. Boy....progressive music is in great shape in general. This year has been so great (2013) and I think 2014 will be the same. Prog on!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 10:34
May 3 release, my BD is the next day! Wow, what a present ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 01:44
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

May 3 release, my BD is the next day! Wow, what a present ! 

Approve 
think I'm seeing Rick Wakeman around that time.. and my birthday is a few weeks later.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 12:36

"IQ are pleased to announce that their next studio album will be released on May 3rd, 2014.

No further details on track listing or format details are yet available but on Saturday 3rd May 2014, they will play a special show at The Assembly, Islington, London, UK.

This concert is the official launch event for the new album.

To celebrate this, the band are making for sale a commemorative presentation box which will be limited to 500 copies and will contain:

• a ticket for the gig
  • a special 2 disc edition of the new IQ CD
  • another CD of material exclusive to this package
  • a t-shirt with an exclusive design
  • a programme featuring lyrics, images, photos and text about the album
  • sticker, a badge and of course glowsticks.

The price of this package is £48 plus delivery by registered 'signed for' mail.

We apologise in advance for the cost of postage on this item to Europe and Rest Of The World but we need to ensure this item is delivered securely and on time.

POSTAGE COSTS:
UK: £4.50
Europe: £12.00
ROW: £15.30

Orders are being taken now at the
GEP ONLINE STORE and the package will be shipped mid-April, at least 3 weeks before the concert on May 3rd.

The page will be updated with an image graphic as the project progresses.

REGULAR 'TICKET ONLY' WILL BE ON SALE AT A LATER DATE, WITH DETAILS ALSO APPEARING ON THE WEBSITE.

Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 14:32
^ wow. You can't really ask for much more than that. I am honestly thinking about flying to the U.K to watch the show.

Man. So the box set includes a ticket to the show or is it a commemorative stub?
Boy. This boxset really works out if you live in the UK. Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>