Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA RULE ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN VIOLATED!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:02
but is it up to us to decide? we would first need to agree on what bands go in this new genre and the exact name of the new genre.

we also need the attention of max and rony of which we do not yet have.
The Worthless Recluse
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:12

frenchie, this would obviously have to be sanctioned by M@X and ProgLucky.

If they were to agree to the two categories, then the final decision as to which bands to admit would have to rest with them.

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:35
it would certianly be a big change to this website. perhaps there have been too many big changes lately. I think we should leave to Maani, Useful Idiot, Proglucky and M@X to sort out properly as they are the site runners.
The Worthless Recluse
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:43
Queen are more a mockery of prog, just like Roxy Music were. A satirical comment on it.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:46

Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

long ago prog archives made a rule where if a band has more "non prog" albums than "prog albums" then they should not be added. Genesis nearly got booted out because of this rule.

That  would also get ELP booted so it's not that sensible a rule, is it?

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:51

Exactly.

What a silly rule it is.

Next topic!!!

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:57

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Maani and I were talking about something that would allow for us to "include" them. The suggestion he made was for a Influenced/Proto-Prog section, so pretty much all those suggestions would apply. Of course, nothing has been finalized.

That's a VERY good idea

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:59
I think that bands like Queen should be added because they are good introduction to prog, not because they are pure prog.

Edited by The Wizard
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:19
 Man all this academic talk is making me dizzy! You guys really are prog elitists and take yourself seriously.So what if Queen and ELO and Radiohead and Supertramp and...well you get the picture, are added.Someone here mentioned a fringe band category for all those bands.I second this suggestion.And don't forget to include GOLDEN EARRING!!!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:26

What I don't like is the conformist way of thinking of some people (No attack pretended), I heard a lot of times people say, if STYX is here, why not ELO

If Asia is here why not Boston or Journey, if both are much more Prog' oriented?

This is wrong guys, none of the mentioned bands is Prog', if a mistake is made try to repair it, if this is not possible, try to hide the corpse under the carpet, but please if a mistake already exists don't make another mistake arguing the first one.

That's the way for mediocrity, how many times I heard in my work, if he goes at 4 o clock why should I stay till 5? or he takes the working material to his house (pens, papers, staplers, etc), why shouldn't I do the same? this is absolutely wrong.

A second mistake won't make the first one correct, it will make the site less reliable,

Yesterday Retrovertigo wrote to justify a Death Metal band:

Quote We already have Opeth, and they're surely prog, and they're surely death metal also.

And the same with Meshuggah.

Please, we're adding a lot of Death/Black Metal bands just because Opeth is here, OK Opeth is wrong and we can't remove them due to the Prog Archives rules (Even when rules are being changed daily to admit more mainstream proggish bands), but please don't use Opeth as an excuse to include ten more similar bands, this won't make Opeth right, but more evident the mistake.

I believe that the bands requested by members should be sent to a temporal section for the collaborators to decide. not include so easily anything remotely prog.

Or even when is not the best solution create that Proto Prog/Prog oriented section apart from the rest of the bands

Iván

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:30
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Yesterday Retrovertigo wrote to justify a Death Metal band:
Quote We already have Opeth, and they're surely prog, and they're surely death metal also.

And the same with Meshuggah.

Please, we're adding a lot of Death/Black Metal bands just because Opeth is here, OK Opeth is wrong and we can't remove them due to the Prog Archives rules (Even when rules are being changed daily to admit more mainstream proggish bands), but please don't use Opeth as an excuse to include ten more similar bands, this won't make Opeth right, but more evident the mistake.

I believe that the bands requested by members should be sent to a temporal section for the collaborators to decide. not include so easily anything remotely prog.

Or even when is not the best solution create that Proto Prog/Prog oriented section apart from the rest of the bands

Iván

It wasn't Retrovertigo who wrote that post, it was me.

And I wasn't using that as an excuse to add another band, it was just an example that PROGRESSIVE DEATH/BLACK METAL DOES EXIST. It is a fact.

You're an anti-metallist of the worst kind. Please look in the mirror and reconsider your opinions.

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:32
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

long ago prog archives made a rule where if a band has more "non prog" albums than "prog albums" then they should not be added. Genesis nearly got booted out because of this rule.

That  would also get ELP booted so it's not that sensible a rule, is it?

i dont know. all i know is that there were lots of discussions on this rule long ago. i think it was used as a reason to prevent radiohead and other bands getting thru.

i dont see how ELP would get booted. i would definetly say the majority of their studio works are very prog.
The Worthless Recluse
CrazyDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:32
great rule. should be respected.
MANTICORE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 14:55
 is a too severe commentary
peace

The Beatles
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:00

How would all these bands would be separated out - would there be a separate site called "AlmostProgArchives.com" or something?

I mean, yes, it'd be good to separate the prog from the non-prog and include "almost-progs" like ELO and Boston, but the reviews would surely all end up on the same front page, no?

And then where would we draw the line?

Radiohead's prog output is circa 50%, IMO - a higher ratio than, say, Genesis. Just an example, I don't want to labour the particular band...

I think the members of this forum can play a huge active part here - USE the polls to vote on a bands progginess. Yes, it's still arbitrary, but at least there'd be a kind of consensus, and we could say that if a band gets 30% of the vote or higher then they'd qualify.

That allows for Genesis...

...and then maybe there would be fewer arguments over a band's inclusion...

You never know - such a poll might exclude bands such as (random example here) Queen.

Just some thoughts.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:04

Logos wrote:

Quote You're an anti-metallist of the worst kind. Please look in the mirror and reconsider your opinions.

Sorry but this is an absurd reaction, I like some metal, love Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and even the infamous Yngwee Malmsteen, but METAL IS METAL AND PROG IS PROG.

I can accept some Prog' Metal but Death Metal is a sub genre of Metal, it's too specific to be considered Prog, better add all metal and lets say that metal and Prog are the same, that's the point we're reaching now and it's absurd.

There are a lot of black, doom, death metal web pages and fan clubs to include your favorite bands, why do it on a progressive rock page.

This place is a refugee for those of us who have been supporting this genre for days. months, years or even decades even when everybody else hated our music, and it survives because it was well defined, no, any metal or Indie band with keyboards is considered Prog', and that's not correct.

I am against the inclusion of METAL, AOR, POP, DISCO RAP, GLAM bands in Prog Archives because they aren't Prog', not because I hate them (Well I hate Rap).

I like Jackson Browne, but I don't think his good and deep lyrics are Prog, love Meatlaof's music but won't argue that Jim Steinman's piano makes them prog and my favorites Bob Geldoff and the Boomtown Rats but won't add Bob just because he appeared and sung in The Wall or because the lyrics and piano in I Don't Like Mondays seem proggy.

The Who is a better candidate than most of the bands recently included because they made two very Prog' albums (Tommy and Quadrophenia) but they are mainly a classic rock band and icon of their own genre so why in hell we must include them here.

So like whatever you want as I do but everything has a place, Dead/Trash/Black/Suicide or even Christiam Metal are subgenres of Metal not barely related with Prog.

If we keep doing this Progressive Rock will become so vague and blurry that everything could be part of the genre and the logical consequence is that Prog' will dissapear, let's keep the genre as pure as possible if we want it to survive.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:05

Frenchie:

You proceed from false assumption.  The "rule" you refer to was never a rule.  In fact, it was my own personal opinion about how what crtieria I believe should be necessary for inclusion; i.e., that the majority of a band's ouevre, or at very least a solid "core" of that ouevre, must be prog in order to be included.

In fact, however, the "official rule" - i.e., Max and Rony's criterior - is that a band need only have one album that is wholly and solidly prog in order to be included on the site.  It was this rule that I was disagreeing with, and to which I was responding with my "majority" idea.

That said, since I still do not believe that either Queen II or NATO (much less any other Queen album) is, in fact, "wholly and solidly prog," I believe their inclusion here goes against even the far more "lenient" rule that Max and Rony have followed.

But let's not get everyone confused.  Max and Rony's rule is what "rules" here, not my alternative idea (which I nevertheless feel is better...)

Peace.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:08
I've just realised what NATO is! Actually it should be ANATO!Geek
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:13

I can accept some Prog' Metal but Death Metal is a sub genre of Metal, it's too specific to be considered Prog, better add all metal and lets say that metal and Prog are the same, that's the point we're reaching now and it's absurd.

There are a lot of black, doom, death metal web pages and fan clubs to include your favorite bands, why do it on a progressive rock page.

Why can't a band play death or black metal and still be progressive?  When was a barrier created to prevent any band who people label as death or black metal from playing progressive rock?  I'm a little shocked to see you taking such a narrow minded view here Ivan.  Let's look at an Opeth song for a moment.  Let's say... The Drapery Falls.  It's an extremely complex, remarkably diverse track that spans over 10 minutes.  It alternates into different sections regularily, has an unpredictable structure, some reasonably extended soloing, and prominent keyboards.  This isn't just a one time thing either, there are numerous Opeth songs like this.  My question is... why is it that a darker feel and some growled vocals should prevent them from being classified as prog?

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:25

METAL IS METAL AND PROG IS PROG

And Prog metal is prog and prog metal is metal.

There are sub-genres within sub-genres as well, and prog metal is a good example of this. There is symphonic prog metal, progressive death metal and prog power metal for example. It is only a prejudice to think that this is not possible. Were Dream Theater to have death metal vocals instead of James LaBrie (although they wouldn't suit the band at all, that's for sure), would someone say they weren't prog? It would be absolutely ridiculous. There's a lot of really technical, really complex, undoubtedly proggy metal music out there, just waiting to be explored by those who have an open mind and who are not stuck in their prejudices regarding metal music.

This place is a refugee for those of us who have been supporting this genre for days. months, years or even decades even when everybody else hated our music, and it survives because it was well defined, no, any metal or Indie band with keyboards is considered Prog', and that's not correct.

You're not being sensible or objective with this matter. There are extremely few "death prog" bands on this site, actually I only know Opeth and Meshuggah at the moment. And I know quite a few death metal bands myself, yet I am NOT suggesting bands like Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Obituary, Arch Enemy or Deicide to be added here. That would be ridiculous. Only a few , those few that really are progressive, are added. But because you hate (death) metal , you are not being objective,  and go on saying that "all metal bands etc. are being added nowadays, where is this site going, oh my god, Prog Archives is losing it". That is ridiculous!! You really should re-consider this matter. How does it hurt you if progressive metal is discussed on this site??? Just ignore it if you don't like it!!!

If we keep doing this Progressive Rock will become so vague and blurry that everything could be part of the genre and the logical consequence is that Prog' will dissapear, let's keep the genre as pure as possible if we want it to survive.

No, it will not. Prog metal IS a part of prog rock. There's absolutely nothing vague or blurry about it!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>