Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 18:06
Not bitter at all, just interested in 'truth' and awake.  Drop God/Jesus from your worldview and really think about why you believe what you believe.  The implications of Morse's claims are insidious and dangerous, not to mention naive.  This kind of delusion must be confronted at all costs.  Morse and you simplify life's issues to a point of absolute ridiculousness and willful ignorance.  The fact that you are basing your world views on an ancient storybook is absurd as are Morse's lyrics.  And you take absolutely no responsibility for the implications of your beliefs.  I can understand delusion though.  It really does keep folks from seeing what is really going on, but the flip side is that it turns people into mindless followers of nothing and emotional reactionaries when it comes to the issues that are killing the human race...war, hunger, health care.  If God is all powerful, then why do these things happen.  And if he does allow these things to happen, then he is most certainly not worthy of any worship.  It's all a house of cards.  Life is now, here, people are suffering.  

BTW, I was not the one to bring up this issue.  I was responding to another comment here.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 00:23
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

A Morse bashing thread would probably get deleted.  So here we are.  I guess I shouldn't care about what Morse's lyrics are.  I used to be more of a 'live and let live' kind of person.  However, I can't keep quiet when delusion prevails in art, discussion etc.  Dismissing my post as uninteresting and unintelligent is predictable.  I made controversial comments.  If that's not interesting, then what is?  Talking about how passionate Neal is?  Passionately delusional.  He's sticking with the fundamentalism because he makes money off of it.  For many, it doesn't hold up for long because reality is hard to ignore.  Just take a minute and take Neal's assertions about his daughter to their logical conclusion.  Hint, god saved only his kid that day?  What about all the rest of the kids who died that day?  That is where I start not from the assumption that the god of the bible is real and nice.  He's quite an unstable god in the great books.

Um, what?  Do you really think Neal is raking in the big bucks playing the music he plays and with the lyrics he writes?  I doubt it. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 03:00

A Morse bashing thread would probably get deleted.  So here we are.  I guess I shouldn't care about what Morse's lyrics are.  I used to be more of a 'live and let live' kind of person.  However, I can't keep quiet when delusion prevails in art, discussion etc.  Dismissing my post as uninteresting and unintelligent is predictable.  I made controversial comments.  If that's not interesting, then what is?  Talking about how passionate Neal is?  Passionately delusional.  He's sticking with the fundamentalism because he makes money off of it.  For many, it doesn't hold up for long because reality is hard to ignore.  Just take a minute and take Neal's assertions about his daughter to their logical conclusion.  Hint, god saved only his kid that day?  What about all the rest of the kids who died that day?  That is where I start not from the assumption that the god of the bible is real and nice.  He's quite an unstable god in the great books.

'Delusion prevails' in many things. The world is broken havn't you noticed. if North Korea launches nuclear missiles at South Korea and China and American get involved then we are right royally f**ked.

I come here to discuss music. Neal is perfectly entitled to believe what he wants and so are you. You believe you are the keeper of the truth presumably?

This thread is really not about you and what you think about religion but you seem to be unable to grasp that.

BTW for what's its worth I think all organised religion is bollocks. You should sort yourself out first and worry about what others are doing second. I also happen to believe in God as is my want. But that has bugger all to do with this forum.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 12:17
So no one wants to make a counter argument to my points above? Just be the tone police? Delusion wins again and I most certainly don't know The Truth. Neal seems to think he does
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 12:21
I'm personally staying away until we get back to the music.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 12:32

So no one wants to make a counter argument to my points above? Just be the tone police? Delusion wins again and I most certainly don't know The Truth. Neal seems to think he does

Ever thing that many of us don't give a sh*t and just love Neal's music for what it is, lyrics and all? 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 12:51

Not bitter at all, just interested in 'truth' and awake.  Drop God/Jesus from your worldview and really think about why you believe what you believe.  The implications of Morse's claims are insidious and dangerous, not to mention naive.  This kind of delusion must be confronted at all costs.  Morse and you simplify life's issues to a point of absolute ridiculousness and willful ignorance.  The fact that you are basing your world views on an ancient storybook is absurd as are Morse's lyrics.  And you take absolutely no responsibility for the implications of your beliefs.  I can understand delusion though.  It really does keep folks from seeing what is really going on, but the flip side is that it turns people into mindless followers of nothing and emotional reactionaries when it comes to the issues that are killing the human race...war, hunger, health care.  If God is all powerful, then why do these things happen.  And if he does allow these things to happen, then he is most certainly not worthy of any worship.  It's all a house of cards.  Life is now, here, people are suffering.  

BTW, I was not the one to bring up this issue.  I was responding to another comment here.

I can understand some of your objections which are legitimate. I wrestle with them too. The fact that you're in such opposition however does increase what I believe in all the more...

but anyway this is about Morse, who makes killer music. Was watching the live Momentum blue ray yesterday. Incredible stuff!!! Any opinions on that live concert?

Edited by AlexDOM - April 13 2013 at 12:53
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 14:53
I'd love to get Momentum live, but it's currently like 36€ in every store I've noticed which I decided, even for being probably a kick ass dvd from my favourite artist is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a single thing Cry

I think I'm gonna wait until the prices drop a third or something. I did check out the songs on his YT channel when he posted them and almost hurt my neck during The Conflict HeadbangerBig smile
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 16:58
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Darkshade...Come back!

Incidentally, I wasn't really surprised when Neal 'went christian'.  lots of his music had a kind of spiritual yearning and looking for a savior.  The Light, The Great Nothing, Snow, Doorway.

The guy can write hooks in his sleep and I'll be interested how the new TA takes shape.

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 23:58
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

I'd love to get Momentum live, but it's currently like 36€ in every store I've noticed which I decided, even for being probably a kick ass dvd from my favourite artist is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a single thing Cry

I think I'm gonna wait until the prices drop a third or something. I did check out the songs on his YT channel when he posted them and almost hurt my neck during The Conflict HeadbangerBig smile

PROGGIN HARD!!!
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 23:58

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Darkshade...Come back!

Incidentally, I wasn't really surprised when Neal 'went christian'.  lots of his music had a kind of spiritual yearning and looking for a savior.  The Light, The Great Nothing, Snow, Doorway.

The guy can write hooks in his sleep and I'll be interested how the new TA takes shape.

Super stoked for that!!!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 02:11

no he doesn't, This doesn't need to be a discussion about religion but if it must... 
God doesn't allow anything. Apparently he created us to be his will but he gave us the freedom to choose which way we want to go. Otherwise what is the point of freewill if you don't suffer the consequences? The world is f**ked up because we f**ked it up. Break the cycle means not repeating the mistakes but we repeat the mistakes of our fathers and our fathers fathers etc etc. Its to do with 'original sin'.Anyway I'm no preacher that's for sure.Any chance we can get this thread away from your own fixations?
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 06:05
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

PROGGIN HARD!!!

Yep. By the way that is one cool avatar you got there Wink
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 12:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

no he doesn't, This doesn't need to be a discussion about religion but if it must... 
God doesn't allow anything. Apparently he created us to be his will but he gave us the freedom to choose which way we want to go. Otherwise what is the point of freewill if you don't suffer the consequences? The world is f**ked up because we f**ked it up. Break the cycle means not repeating the mistakes but we repeat the mistakes of our fathers and our fathers fathers etc etc. Its to do with 'original sin'.Anyway I'm no preacher that's for sure.Any chance we can get this thread away from your own fixations?

at the risk of of perpetuating my fixationWink...i totally agree with you; the world is f'd up because we f'd up.  the cause is probably more stupidity than original sin.  man i'm so fixated on this stuffCool

Okay, does anyone care to speculate on what the new TA will be like.  I for one hope they let Pete sing a bit.  I love his song on the bonus disc of Whirlwind.  I know it's their thing to write epically long epics, but i'm not sure they have enough good stuff to make one.  maybe they do.  i would mind some mini epics and a few songs and real collaboration.  i do hope they stick with the production sound that was on Whirlwind.  that disc was produced impeccably.  i prefer an in the room feel over the live reverberd production that seems to be the status quo these days on prog records.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeqexes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 16:54

Okay, does anyone care to speculate on what the new TA will be like.

I hope they do something that they haven't done before. Perhaps do a song or two which is in a different style to what they've done before. But saying 'a song or two' for TA pretty much means half the albumTongue

Something which annoyed me about The Whirlwind was that whenever a new melody or a musical idea was introduced, it wouldn't be played for too long before they went back to the main theme/melody of the whole album. Not that it's a bad theme/melody, but imho they played it way too much on the album. Of course this didn't happen with every musical idea/song; there are plenty of instances where I think they developed the ideas well, but for songs such as "Out of the Night", I think they could have pulled it off better.

But, nevertheless, I'm still very much looking forward to the next album.
confused_prog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote confused_prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 00:36
Not sure where to post this!

Hey,
Recently Mood Indigo(a college festival in India) announced Neal Morse Band featuring Mike Portnoy as their headliners. I have attended a few concerts at the same festival in the past which were Porcupine Tree, Katatonia and Karnivool.

Although I have heard a lot about Mike Portnoy because of Dream Theater, I don't have any knowledge of Neal's music.

How are Neal's concert? Do they have an emotional connect like that of Katatonia's? I would attend the concert because of Mike but would love to explore the music of Neal as well.

P.S.: I just got a chance to listen to The Temple of Living God by Neal and loved the same.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 07:47
LOLCryClapCool thats neal morse. my personnel tracks are.

duel with the devil. (ta)
sola sriptura. (nm)
the water. (sb)
one. (nm)
the whirlwind. (ta)
testimony 1/2. (nm)
the great nothing/ at the end of the day. (sb)
all of the above / we al need some light. (ta)

CoolStarStarStarStarStarLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL 

the world see us as clowns.(thank you roine stolt) 

prog rock rulesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 15:37
My last.fm account shows as follows:

What evil irony this is. Evil Smile

proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 23:17
I like Neal Morse's music and lyrics and have done that a for a few years now.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 03:14
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My last.fm account shows as follows:

<span>666</span></td></tr></t></table>What evil irony this is. Evil Smile

What the?! Haha!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 45>