Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReferrence to Classical Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 17:04
Aye, the mountain was a hairless one - but (supposedly) lots of nudity on that mountain in the specific setting Mussorgsky chose. Not of the kind that guys would be too keen to witness though ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 17:06
A section on the various roots of prog-rock, from concert hall music to jazz as well as seminal pre-proggers like The Shadows, Les Baxter or Sun Ra would be nice. Seems like there were some British avant-improv groups that had an influence on early out there improvisations by acid rock bands, but I can't remember their names.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Aye, the mountain was a hairless one - but (supposedly) lots of nudity on that mountain in the specific setting Mussorgsky chose. Not of the kind that guys would be too keen to witness though ;-)

I've never heard of such nudity. Confused
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 17:13
Could we say that Classical influenced certain prog genres instead of prog itself ? jazz fusion come to mind as one that would be hard to associate with classical music. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 17:36
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

^lol! Are you really human? It seems you're a "Revolutionary Bot", if that really exists. You try to say everything opposite side from what everyone tells you.
And you people are just lapping it up.

I fully support that, but I don't want to put effort into making it happen. Which is what internet suggestions are all about! I would also add a list of prominent prog covering classical music (especially in the cases where it might not be as obvious as Pictures At An Exhibition).
if you own a sodastream i hate you
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 17:48
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

^lol! Are you really human? It seems you're a "Revolutionary Bot", if that really exists. You try to say everything opposite side from what everyone tells you.
And you people are just lapping it up.

I fully support that, but I don't want to put effort into making it happen. Which is what internet suggestions are all about! I would also add a list of prominent prog covering classical music (especially in the cases where it might not be as obvious as Pictures At An Exhibition).

"Bouree" by Tull? Although that one is quite obvious if you know your classical even a little bit.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 18:04
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

"Bouree" by Tull? Although that one is quite obvious if you know your classical even a little bit.

Bela Bartok's influence on Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Henry Cow... virtually all RIO/Avant/Chamber Prog is well known, but maybe a little less obvious.

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 18:21

Slaver - I am somewhat insulted in you mentioning Hall of the Mountain King as a work of Mussorgsky. I do hope that one came out wrong....if not you better read up a bit on classical music mate ;-)

I understand that.  Since no one's mentioned it so far, but Hall of the Mountain King is Grieg's, a contemporary of one of my personal favorite decomposing composers, Debussy.  But Peer Gynt Suite No. 1's Morning had been embedded in my head since a young child and I didn't even make the connection with the composer until a history professor played it for a class in college.  Of course I had been familiar with Hall of the Mountain King from Wakeman doing a few bars from the piece on his Journey To The Center Of The Earth album.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 08 2008 at 18:22
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 18:33
but all classical, Romantic, Heroic, Baroque, and Avant classical influenced Prog, didn't it?   Both Keith Emerson and Robert Fripp (to a lesser degree) were classically trained - Emerson in particular thoroughly versed in all the important composers, including 20th Century - and this is what allowed them to create progressive rock (same for the RIO bands)., distinguishing them from other so-called progressive artists as the Beatles who merely utilized a classical passage now and then or got George Martin to arrange something or play the keys. 

Edited by Atavachron - December 08 2008 at 18:34
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 20:40
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I've never heard of such nudity. Confused

Could be a Hollywood thingy of course - that the witches on Walpurgis night dance naked as well as partake in sexual orgies with demons and other creatures of Satanic origin ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 22:00
Originally posted by slaver slaver wrote:

Mozart is not Prog!

Neither Bach,, Beethoven or even Stravinsky, mainly because Prog means Progressive ROCK, and as I guess you know....There's no Rock in Classical music..

Iván

A quote from my recent Stratovarius thread on which there are a few references to classical music not being prog to which I disagree whole heartedly.

Do you even know the difference between being Prog and being influential?

I can say it 100 times Mozart is not Prog, but I never said Classical didn't influenced Prog, have you read the Symphonic Prog definition?

In this specific case the main characteristic is the influence of Classical music

I said this in the symphonic definition and also believe it today, so please if you are going to quote me, do it in the correct context.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 08 2008 at 22:03

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 01:19
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Yeah...Mussorgski focused on a different mountain. LOL

one with no clothes on, if I remember rightly?...Wink

Actually with no hair onWinkLOL...

Ah, the quality of such classical music jokes...you guys are the best! Big smile

But let the clappies flow:

ClapClap
Clap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 12:05
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

but all classical, Romantic, Heroic, Baroque, and Avant classical influenced Prog, didn't it?   Both Keith Emerson and Robert Fripp (to a lesser degree) were classically trained - Emerson in particular thoroughly versed in all the important composers, including 20th Century - and this is what allowed them to create progressive rock (same for the RIO bands)., distinguishing them from other so-called progressive artists as the Beatles who merely utilized a classical passage now and then or got George Martin to arrange something or play the keys. 

I think different eras of classical music influenced different genres of prog. Most of prog metal is influenced by Baroque to my ears, prog folk has a fair bit of a Renaissance influence (era, not band), symphonic prog i think probably carries most of its influence from the classical and baroque period, RIO from the modernist and post-romantic periods... It goes on really. That's my perception anyway.

Arnold Schoenberg
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 12:07
Also adding to that, I agree that classical music has been a direct influence on the musicians as well. I know for a fact that Hugh Banton, Kerry Minnear and Jordan Rudess have been classically trained (don't like JR's style, but he's a good player nonetheless with very classical technique).

Arnold Schoenberg
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 09:41

Also adding to that, I agree that classical music has been a direct influence on the musicians as well. I know for a fact that Hugh Banton, Kerry Minnear and Jordan Rudess have been classically trained (don't like JR's style, but he's a good player nonetheless with very classical technique).
Classically-trained musicians, who wanted to rock but who also wanted to hang on to their recital-worthy aesthetic while showing off their chops, could do so thanks to prog. They could even ditch their tails for glittery robes in the process.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 10:53
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Slaver - I am somewhat insulted in you mentioning Hall of the Mountain King as a work of Mussorgsky. I do hope that one came out wrong....if not you better read up a bit on classical music mate ;-)

Yeah...Mussorgski focused on a different mountain. LOL
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Rico what a laugh i do in work when i read this...ClapClapClap

Edited by Alberto Muñoz - December 10 2008 at 10:55

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 12:21
Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

Classically-trained musicians, who wanted to rock but who also wanted to hang on to their recital-worthy aesthetic while showing off their chops, could do so thanks to prog. They could even ditch their tails for glittery robes in the process.

You wouldn't be talking about Lord Rick would you?

Arnold Schoenberg
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 09:03

Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

You wouldn't be talking about Lord Rick would you?
Yes! The one and only! Big smile

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

DavetheSlave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 09:15
You guys are very strange - without the classics we would have no rock, prog rock, jazz, blues, or anything else - we may have had sacrificial tribe type drumming!!!!! No one can deny that!!!!!!!!!!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 09:18
^ And without the "sacrificial tribe type drumming" we wouldn't have had the classics. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>