FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock's "Prog Rock" Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 07:31
Apparently Classic Rock Presents...Prog regularly achieves sales of over 50,000 copies. That's quite an achievement for a Prog-based mag that costs a ridiculous £8 and isnt sold in supermarkets.

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 08:09
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Apparently Classic Rock Presents...Prog regularly achieves sales of over 50,000 copies. That's quite an achievement for a Prog-based mag that costs a ridiculous £8 and isnt sold in supermarkets.

Does Progarchives often get a mention in it?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 08:17
There was an interview with M@x a couple of issues ago, but then nothing more, I believe.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 10:30

indeed... all in all it isn't that bad either.  Sure they could use a few SC's from here on staff who actually know the minutia of those groups... but for a bunch of corporate desk jockies.   Pretty good magazine LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 08:23
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

indeed... all in all it isn't that bad either.  Sure they could use a few SC's from here on staff who actually know the minutia of those groups... but for a bunch of corporate desk jockies.   Pretty good magazine LOL

Tony, On the continent, it costs 15.15€, which is almost the double.

I believe that the mag does a lot of international salers too.

But I don't appreciate issue #6. much (only leafed through it so far)...... It seems that the mag is getting ever and ever more liberal about what they call prog
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 08:27
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

But I don't appreciate issue #6. much (only leafed through it so far)...... It seems that the mag is getting ever and ever more liberal about what they call prog

Unfortunately, on the Continent the price of British magazines gets almost doubled by the dealers - even when the exchange rate is much more favourable to the Euro than it used to be. I know this because I used to buy other magazines (not dealing with music), and the story was always the same. Here it's 15 dollars, which - with the current Euro/dollar exchange rate - is less than the price in Euros.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 13:33
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Unfortunately, on the Continent the price of British magazines gets almost doubled by the dealers - even when the exchange rate is much more favourable to the Euro than it used to be. I know this because I used to buy other magazines (not dealing with music), and the story was always the same. Here it's 15 dollars, which - with the current Euro/dollar exchange rate - is less than the price in Euros.

It is very expensive which I think may ultimately lead to its downfall. I subscribe to it so it works out 25% cheaper at £6 an issue. I'm not sure for how long though as I think there's a far greater knowledge of prog here on PA than the writers of Classic Rock have.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 16:15
I'm not too sure about that knowledge part actually. Many of those writers have been around since the early 80's, some longer than that.And while thay have been writing more on other topics over the years, metal and classic rock in particular, these are journalists who has been making a living writing about music for several decades.

That they choose to scrape the surface will most likely be due to the fact that they want the magazine to be read and to sell well - they are aiming for a wider audience than hardcore prog nerds after all ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 17:53
^Yes. The journos have been writing for rock mags for years. They know their stuff.

I may have to stop buying the regular Classic Rock, and just get Prog. It's very costly getting both. And i've noticed a worrying trend in Classic Rock recently, that they seem to be writing more and more about the salacious parts of the rock industry (Mick Wall's boasts), and less about the music, which is what I really care about reading about. 

So far, so good, with Prog magazine.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 21:57
There was a time, many years ago, when I actually used to buy Q and Mojo here in the U.S.  Then one day, it hit me:  I could be buying a CD for the price I paid for the mag!  So that's when I quit buying them on any sort of regular basis.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 22:03
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

There was a time, many years ago, when I actually used to buy Q and Mojo here in the U.S.  Then one day, it hit me:  I could be buying a CD for the price I paid for the mag!  So that's when I quit buying them on any sort of regular basis.

Yeah, I'm coming to the same realisation myself. For the price of an issue of Prog or Classic Rock, I could be buying a new CD. So I don't get them every issue anymore. Only if there's a really good article in there. The newsagents usually seal them in big cardboard or plastic bags, though, so you can't flick through it and put it back on the shelf! LOL
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
chowder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 03:22
if we love it, we try to afford it
Check out UK’s best online bingo gaming site...follow the link below:
http://wwwbingotime.co.uk/

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:39
I may be the odd man out, here, but I personally don't care much for it. I mean, any specific information I want to find out, I can find out here, and the regular members know more about all this stuff than the suits running that magazine. 
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:54
What is interesting to note about that mag, is the fact that they are far more liberal than any fan site when it comes to describing what prog and prog-related is. A band like Manic Street Preachers for instance. Even among the liberal fans here few would describe them as having any prog relations whatsoever. And bands that barely made it into the database here are presented as full-fledged prog by this magazine.

It is fascinating to see the differences in opinion between people that have lived and breathed music for a living for many decades and fans when it comes to the perceptions of what can be described as prog music, that's for sure.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:55
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

I may be the odd man out, here, but I personally don't care much for it. I mean, any specific information I want to find out, I can find out here, and the regular members know more about all this stuff than the suits running that magazine. 

I agree with you, Micah, but you should also consider that the mag is targeted to people who may be relative newcomers to the genre, and do not necessarily know about the multitude of websites dedicated to prog.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 10:11
^ Well, exactly. But because of that, I think newcomers should be the ones buying it. Maybe there wouldn't be enough of them to support the mag, but it just seems kind of pointless for more seasoned Prog listeners to buy it. Especially when you take into consideration how 'out of sync' it tends to be with us at times. 

Ah well. I'm probably just being a grouch about it for no good reason. :p It IS cool to finally have press dedicated to Prog again. 
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 10:22
Like it or not, without mags such as that one and artists like DT and PT, there would hardly be any recruitment at all to the genre as far as new fans goes :-)
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 10:26
^ As I already said . . . . for newcomers, it's great. For already-existing fans, not really worth it. Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 11:40
And even then, I find the proposition that young newcomers will shell out $15 for dead-tree media when $0 internet versions such as our collective selves exist a dubious one at best.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2010 at 07:02
OK, yesterday I found the mag's latest issue (#6, if I'm not mistaken) at Borders in downtown DC. Since I had run out of reading material to keep me company during my commute back home, I bought it (and a cookbook I found for $4Wink!), and started browsing through it when I sat down to have some tea before my lesson started.

Unfortunately, I have to say this time I was positively underwhelmed - even if the central feature on 'prog art' is not a bad idea at all. The usual suspects covered (i.e. Mostly Autumn, Marillion, DT, PT, yadda yadda), the usual bloopers (omitting Thursaflokkurinn from a feature on Icelandic prog was unforgivable, and the guy who reviewed Jakko M. Jakszyk's The Bruised Romantic Glee Club had clearly not read the liner notes), a slew of reviews of albums chosen with heaven knows what criteria - and plenty of condescension towards non-British bands. In particular, some of the remarks included in the reviews of Jacula and Il Bacio della Medusa were unpleasantly patronizing. I am really not sure I'm going to part with more of my hard-earned cash in the future to get something so biased. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>