Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 337338339340341 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 12:01
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ Dennis, you would enjoy Umphrey's McGee. They are a prog jam band, and don't usually do the Grateful Dead-jam band cliche of jamming in one key. Many of their "jams" are actually somewhat composed.

The Grateful Dead rarely did that cliche themselves (though they did do it a lot in the early years, late 60's, beginning of the 70's).

My friend: the 60's & early 70's were their peak. Everything after that was MTV music.  Though I love to listen to the album, American Beauty, they did write some good tunes.  A Friend of The Devil is a friend on mine indeed.

Did you get a chance to play my Spock's Beard - Snow edit?

Um, I think you missed out on their best stuff then.  Live, anyway.  There is no "MTV music" by the Dead that I ever heard........yes, they had one "hit' video, for the song Touch Of Grey.......a song they had played live for more than 10 years before it was put on an album and used for the video.  I've never actually owned a Greatful Dead studio album, so I can't really speak to those.  The ones I heard I mostly disliked for the most part, but the ones I really liked were Blues For Allah and Terrapin Station (there was one other, more acoustic folksy type affair, that I can't remember the name of that I also liked a bit).  I saw them live in 1994 and it was by far the best concert I've ever seen, musically speaking.  The 60's and early 70's live shows I've heard were not particularly good, musically, if you ask me (though there are a couple renditions of Dark Star and  The Other One / St. Stephen that are pretty incredible).  Though I'm sure they were quite fun to be at.

I have not gotten around to the Snow edit.  I will try to do that in the near future.  I haven't listened to that album in years, so maybe your edit would be a better way to do that.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 12:05
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ Dennis, you would enjoy Umphrey's McGee. They are a prog jam band, and don't usually do the Grateful Dead-jam band cliche of jamming in one key. Many of their "jams" are actually somewhat composed.

Thanks m8,Smile   I will check them out.  And to return the favor, I have 2 suggestions for you:

Sanguine Hum (2013) - The weight of the world  - Awesome!    (Diving Bell (2012) is really good as well.)
I just discovered these guys, yesterday

And...

Mystery - The World Is A Game (2012).   Song 2, "Pride" is one of the coolest songs from the last 20 years!
You need to blast it real loud...Approve

Oh, good point, I like Bela Fleck as well...

I am actually friends on Facebook with the guitarist and main man of Mystery.  Yet, I've never heard a note of their music!  I think it was because of mutual friends (he "friended" me, as I recall).  Anyway, that album is free to listen to on progstreaming.com at the moment, so I think I'm going to have to do that as I keep hearing good things about the band.  Also, I though Benoit sounded pretty good on Fly From Here (even though I find the album quite weak), so I'd like to hear how he does with his "main" band.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 12:42
Ive just ordered the Hecht Novel - Ishmael is unbelievably expensive for a paperback though - 15 pounds!!!
Intersting list -  Ive read quite a few obviously - I may pick from that list for my next few books....
I won't be buying the Intelligent design bollocks listed though......just one dick looking for a designer when there is clearly no such pattern nor infallible designer DOH!!!

Edited by M27Barney - May 22 2013 at 12:50
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 14:26
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Ive just ordered the Hecht Novel - Ishmael is unbelievably expensive for a paperback though - 15 pounds!!!
Intersting list -  Ive read quite a few obviously - I may pick from that list for my next few books....
I won't be buying the Intelligent design bollocks listed though......just one dick looking for a designer when there is clearly no such pattern nor infallible designer DOH!!!

Yeah, well, Gildenlow does mention at the bottom of the list that some of the books are good, some bad, but that all of them contributed to his creation of the concept for "BE".
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 17:44
Lots to respond to...

In college I loved jam bands.  Grateful Dead and Phish were favorites.  The scene got pretty big in the early to mid 90s, especially in the midwest.  We had a local band called Ekoostik Hookah that got pretty big.  I played keys for a jam band around that time as well.  We actually had a little scene going in southern Ohio.  If we'd gotten our sh*t together, we would've had festivals etc.  

I still like Phish a bit, but don't listen to anything other than a few studio albums.  Lawnboy, Rift, Story of the Ghost and Billy Breathes are three of the best albums of all time.  Very proggy.  I saw them live over 50 times.  They kind of lost their way in the late 90s.  Haven't seen them since.  Glad they're back at it.

Love the Dead and love Jerry Garcia.  Seen them countless times as well.  They had some proggy stuff, especially Blues for Allah, as Infandous mentioned.  Their mid to late 70s stuff is incredible.

I'm not to into Umphrey's.  They sound like any other generic jamband that came out in the 90s.  I know they do some composed stuff as well as ambient beats and stuff.

Dennis's edit of Snow is superb.  All should listen now!

Love Bela Fleck.  Seen him several times live.  Very enjoyable and easy to listen to.  I was just thinking I need to catch up with them.  Thanks for the recommendation Darkshade.

Also, as far as fusion goes.  There was a time that was all I listened to.  Like Dennis, I preferred the composed stuff like Mahavishnu and RTF.  The jammy stuff was cool, but gets a bit boring.  Although, I love me some Weather Report.  Not to much into straight ahead jazz unless its guitar.  Love Pat Metheny, Bill Frisell, John Abercrombie, Terje Rypdal.  All proggy and listenable.  Terje Rypdal sounds like Roine at times.

Damn, now what should I listen to...prog, fusion, Dead...think I'll go with Bela FleckTongue

Edited by zumacraig - May 22 2013 at 17:49
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:04
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones about 10 years ago, and it was an incredible show.  For some reason, I've never gotten a hold of any of their albums.  May have to do that, I don't know.

Zuma, when I was in college, my vision for my prog band was of a prog/jam hybrid.  Most of my epics had "holes" in them, there specifically for free form improvisation (well, not totally free form, there was usually a riff or melody or chord progression that got things going).  What I discovered was that the people I played with either like prog and not improv, or improv and not prog.  My drummer was the exception, as he was into everything music wise.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 14:15
I must say that your taste is quite a lot wider than mine, I can't stand Grateful Dead.....I hate the quirky parts , I am the sun part I is RUINED by that silly bit in the middle - and Echoes by pink floyd is ruined by those squaukin Crows....
Also I absolutely Love Numbers & Monsters and Men....you two would like it more if they had a nun "farting and giggling" in a bath halfway through or the sound of a elderly aardvark being put through a mangle by an incontinent Tin Miner from Penzance......Thumbs Up
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 23:14

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones about 10 years ago, and it was an incredible show.  For some reason, I've never gotten a hold of any of their albums.  May have to do that, I don't know.

Zuma, when I was in college, my vision for my prog band was of a prog/jam hybrid.  Most of my epics had "holes" in them, there specifically for free form improvisation (well, not totally free form, there was usually a riff or melody or chord progression that got things going).  What I discovered was that the people I played with either like prog and not improv, or improv and not prog.  My drummer was the exception, as he was into everything music wise.

right, that's the kind of stuff i used to write.  lots of composed stuff, but also specific jammy parts.  it got a bit ridiculous.  we also loved segueing from one song to another and then back.  one time, early on, we were in a battle of the bands and we switched off sets.  we ended our first set in the middle of a jam.  after the next band played, we picked up the jam where we left off...so that other band's set was IN our song!

i'm with you, i never really understood the divide between jam and prog.  phish, for example, is totally a prog band, especially the earlier fugues etc.  i loved them and the dead several years before i got into prog.  just seems like a logical progression Wink

i really think that anyone who is into a certain rock genre is usually a total music fan and has gone through it all.  when i first got the bug, i wanted to hear everything...and i did.  it's just in the last few years i've kind of settled into my top favorites and not been too eclectic.  my top artists are TFK, Dead, Neil Young, Pat Metheny, Yes, Rush.  of course, i love blasting classic rock at any time.  love me some joe walsh, eagles, zeppelin, foghat...ya know!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 17:21
According to Hasse's latest blog post, Roine is in Nashville recording TA and then June will be focused on finishing the new TFK record.  Hasse is recording a new HFMC album in August.  So we got some fun things on the horizon.

The other thing he mentioned was that Roine was sick for their recent US shows.  They almost cancelled ROSfestUnhappy  I hope Roine is well.  I couldn't handle all that traveling.  I'd constantly be sick and tired.

Do these guys have day jobs?  If they do, how do they do it?  If they don't, are they making any money?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 19:29
I don't know what Roine and co. do, though I recall Jonas owns a studio, but maybe I'm mistaken. I know Neal Morse rents out his home studio to local bands, and I'm sure does well enough for a prog artist, especially with Mike Portnoy on drums every album.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 08:15
Yeah, Neal has a cottage industry going on there.  I'm sure he's got income from other stuff we're not even aware of.

I think I'm heading for a Beardfish kick soon.  Been listening to DT-ADToE.  Love that album.  Some of the tunes are a bit long, but there are some classics on their; Backs of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten, This is the Live, Bridges Across the Sky, Outcry.  So good!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:51
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

According to Hasse's latest blog post, Roine is in Nashville recording TA and then June will be focused on finishing the new TFK record.  Hasse is recording a new HFMC album in August.  So we got some fun things on the horizon.

The other thing he mentioned was that Roine was sick for their recent US shows.  They almost cancelled ROSfestUnhappy  I hope Roine is well.  I couldn't handle all that traveling.  I'd constantly be sick and tired.

Do these guys have day jobs?  If they do, how do they do it?  If they don't, are they making any money?

Roine was fine in Philly, just two days later.  They mentioned from the stage that he had been sitting in a chair for much of the Rosfest performance and had not done some of his vocals.  I don't think it was anything serious, but I agree, all that traveling would be rough on an old guy.

Roine, I believe does studio engineering and of course other musical projects.  He makes his living completely from music related activity, however.  Of course, he and his family live in a very small apartment, so obviously he's not getting rich.  The other guys do not, though I think Tomas has music related main gig.  Hasse is a baggage handler for the Stockholm airport.  Jonas, I'm not sure, but I know he rents out his studio and performs on just about every prog release known to man as well LOL  Don't know about Felix.

Edited by infandous - May 28 2013 at 11:52
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 16:28
Question for all the TFK fans:
You can only keep one TFK cd...which would it be?

Edited by dr wu23 - May 28 2013 at 16:29
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 19:26
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Paradox Hotel is by one CD you mean one release (double album)

otherwise,

Space Revolver
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 19:47

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Roine was fine in Philly, just two days later.  They mentioned from the stage that he had been sitting in a chair for much of the Rosfest performance and had not done some of his vocals.  I don't think it was anything serious, but I agree, all that traveling would be rough on an old guy.

Roine, I believe does studio engineering and of course other musical projects.  He makes his living completely from music related activity, however.  Of course, he and his family live in a very small apartment, so obviously he's not getting rich.  The other guys do not, though I think Tomas has music related main gig.  Hasse is a baggage handler for the Stockholm airport.  Jonas, I'm not sure, but I know he rents out his studio and performs on just about every prog release known to man as well LOL  Don't know about Felix.

Hasse is a baggage handler?  Awesome!  I remember reading that Tomas is involved in theater productions.  Right on about Jonas.  He's now back with Tangent.  He's a maniac!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 19:48

Rainmaker
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 19:55

Space Revolver
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 20:40

Unfold the Future. Easy.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 20:48
Hey guys, just dropping in!

If I had to choose one FK album, I think I'd choose `Unfold The Future' too, Darkshade! It holds a special place in my heart, it frequently sounds so unlike any of their other albums due to the heavy brooding jazz/fusion sound.

I've always thought that although ALL of the FK's albums are superb, it's every few where they release a really defining standout release in their discography, and that is certainly one of them.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 23:04
So far 2 for Unfold,  2 for Revolver, and 1 for Rainmaker.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 337338339340341 486>