Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 15:55
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Well as with Genesis (1970-1977), Rush (1974-1980) these were the golden years - the synth pop Rush that came after was such a waste of phenomenally talented musicians...The brilliance of hemispheres was the pinnacle in my opinion - and I just didn't have the heart to listen to anything after signals....It was such a crushing abomination of a travesty.......Mind you the trio's bank balance got a lot bigger and I suppose that was more important to them than keeping a few of the old guard fans happy.......

Yes, nothing has come close by any modern prog band to match the output you describe above.

RUSH were sucessfull, however at keeping the machine rolling, too bad they had to do it by writing formulaic
verse-chorus-verse music a la U2. In the mid eighties when Alex said that he admired the guitar style and playing
of The Edge, I knew we were in trouble...

I have an idea that Hemispheres may be coming out in 5.1 next year, that will be cool!

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 20:55
i've listened to Unitopia's Garden.  I liked it, but it had some cheese.

we're forever trying to figure out why the 70s were so awesome!  music today could be almost as good if production was better and bands had good producers.  Can you imagine a killer TFK epic where every minute was pined over with in the band as CttE was written?  it'd be amazing.  30-90 minutes is just way to damn long for a song.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 06:53
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

we're forever trying to figure out why the 70s were so awesome!  music today could be almost as good if production was better and bands had good producers.  Can you imagine a killer TFK epic where every minute was pined over with in the band as CttE was written?  it'd be amazing.  30-90 minutes is just way to damn long for a song.
Hmm, I think that epics (that usually comprise of more than one theme anyway - so are really a set of linked songs with reprise etc to re-link back to previous theme's etc) can be any length from 15 minutes (mini epic) to 320 minutes (the ultimate epic - 4 full CD's, not yet done I think - but maybe attempted by some O.T.T. symphonic prog band who would consider the 5.3 hour MAGNUM OPUS to be the ultimate in prog one-up-man-ship.....
Hope some band are now reading this and think YEAH - LETS get on it......Such an epic would need at least 10 monumental and melodic themes that could be played out in a interlinked slinky production that would incorporate scintilating and mega-virtuosity with spine-tingling soaring solos of breathtaking complexity....
WHOS GOING TO TAKE UP THIS CHALLENGE???
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 06:58
^ Oh and no feckin mentioning the Bible, Cain, Abel, Garden of Eden, Moses, Jesus and the fecking holy ghost.....
Suppose that would rule out the Flokis, The theme could possibly be the evolution of life from the primordial soup through the slime crawly things to the majesty of the modern mammals and the ultimate axe-wielding primate, who's soaring intellect has just created the "ULTIMATE EPIC"....aye and no frigging saxophones either....

Edited by M27Barney - August 06 2013 at 06:59
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 10:50

The members of TFK's like each other too much for them to produce something like Close To The Edge, is my guess.  As you may recall, the way Close To The Edge was made was why Bruford left, and led to Wakeman leaving after the next album.  Maybe the problem is that bands get along with each other too well these days?  Wink

I think a large part of what made the 70's awesome was that rock still had variations to be explored.  I don't think that is the case anymore.  The instrumentation has not changed at all since the 60's, for one thing (though there are, of course, exceptions.........but mostly bands will add some other instruments on top of the basic rock instrumentation).  Of course, if you don't have guitar and/or bass and/or drums, you don't have rock n' roll anymore.  I think that's the biggest thing.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 10:51
Barney!  Great points.  The reason I think 30 minutes is too long is because it seems to be physically impossible for a group or individual to come up with enough compelling themes and sequences at once.  The best epics are group projects (Yes, Rush, GoD).  Roine plays his themes to death.  I love how he revisits them through out albums, but each of those songs doesn't have to be 7 minutes and the themes don't have to be revisited a bunch of times during the epic.  I think BoE really nails it with a solid epic and then a mini-coda epic at the end with Rising Imperial.  

Infancous-
Yeah, it seems that conflict really does create some good art (Beatles).  And so true about variations.  There was no precedent for Yes or the Beatles.  They gorged on the best there was to be had and we've been dealing with scraps ever since  Wink

Edited by zumacraig - August 06 2013 at 10:55
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 10:52

Hmm, I think that epics (that usually comprise of more than one theme anyway - so are really a set of linked songs with reprise etc to re-link back to previous theme's etc) can be any length from 15 minutes (mini epic) to 320 minutes (the ultimate epic - 4 full CD's, not yet done I think - but maybe attempted by some O.T.T. symphonic prog band who would consider the 5.3 hour MAGNUM OPUS to be the ultimate in prog one-up-man-ship.....
Hope some band are now reading this and think YEAH - LETS get on it......Such an epic would need at least 10 monumental and melodic themes that could be played out in a interlinked slinky production that would incorporate scintilating and mega-virtuosity with spine-tingling soaring solos of breathtaking complexity....
WHOS GOING TO TAKE UP THIS CHALLENGE???

I'm with you on this one.........an epic can never be too long.  Of course, it would take a very skilled and talented musician/band to pull off what you suggest and have it still be interesting all the way through.  I personally couldn't sit and listen for 5 straight hours though (not even back when I had lots of time for music listening).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 10:57

Barney!  Great points.  The reason I think 30 minutes is too long is because it seems to be physically impossible for a group or individual to come up with enough compelling themes and sequences at once.  The best epics are group projects (Yes, Rush, GoD).  Roine plays his themes to death.  I love how he revisits them through out albums, but each of those songs doesn't have to be 7 minutes and the themes don't have to be revisited a bunch of times during the epic.  I think BoE really nails it with a solid epic and then a mini-coda epic at the end with Rising Imperial.  

Infancous-
Yeah, it seems that conflict really does create some good art (Beatles).

Funny, since Numbers has gradually become my least favorite FK epic, with only Monsters and Men being more dull and boring to my ears.

As to the conflict thing, yeah, it does seem that way.  I've read that Yes albums (the great ones, that is) were always filled with conflict and arguments.  The battles fought within Genesis in the early years are well known also (in fact, the first time Hackett rehearsed with Genesis, Mike Rutherford stormed out of the rehearsal room vowing never to return.......only to come back an hour or so later......I guess this sort of thing happened regularly, with one or another member threatening to quit on a weekly basis).

I still think that the biggest factor was quality control..........producers and LP lengths helped bands to hone their material to just the absolute best stuff.

I do think some people, like Roine, do a very good job on their own (probably because Roine has produced other bands, and worked in studios for many years).........but even then, I think some outside criticism taken to heart would do a lot of good.

The flip side is that it's become apparent that a lot of great and talented musicians and groups didn't get the recognition they should have had in the 70's because of the "quality control" of the record labels.

I'm not really sure that the free for all atmosphere of today is really a good trade off though.  I guess for musicians who just want to make some money off their music it is, but for listeners I think it's much more difficult to find really good stuff.  I also suspect that the quality control of the 60' and 70's let to bands being formed in certain configurations that might not have happened otherwise (the cream rising to the top, in other words).

Edited by infandous - August 06 2013 at 11:03
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 22:21
@Infandous,

Yep, quality control is the issue.  Bands did have more creative freedom in the 70, but did have some limits, as you said.  Artists today just need to control themselves!!

Now, if you can believe this, my wife might take me on the Prognation Cruise for our anniversary!  That would be so damn fun.  I'd get to see bands I'd probably never ever see in my hometown and also, hopefully, meet them.  There's supposed to be Q/As etc.  All that, plus a cruise.  Probably too good to be true.  One thing that is for certain, Neal will sit in with SB, no doubt.  He's only playing with TA while everyone else is playing in multiple bands. 
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 08:44

@Infandous,

Yep, quality control is the issue.  Bands did have more creative freedom in the 70, but did have some limits, as you said.  Artists today just need to control themselves!!

Now, if you can believe this, my wife might take me on the Prognation Cruise for our anniversary!  That would be so damn fun.  I'd get to see bands I'd probably never ever see in my hometown and also, hopefully, meet them.  There's supposed to be Q/As etc.  All that, plus a cruise.  Probably too good to be true.  One thing that is for certain, Neal will sit in with SB, no doubt.  He's only playing with TA while everyone else is playing in multiple bands. 

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that's it's leaving from Miami, I might be able to go as well (my girlfriend and I want to go on a cruise around that time anyway).  However, adding airfare onto the $700 per person (or even gas and travel expenses), makes it pretty much out of reach for me.  Wish I could join you!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 11:45
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

@Infandous,

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that's it's leaving from Miami, I might be able to go as well (my girlfriend and I want to go on a cruise around that time anyway).  However, adding airfare onto the $700 per person (or even gas and travel expenses), makes it pretty much out of reach for me.  Wish I could join you!

It's still up in the air.  Before I actually register I want to be damn sure it wouldn't be too much of a good thing.

How cool would it be if all us thread regulars could go?!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 06:44
i'd have to fly to Miami first - tad expensive, even for a once in a lifetime gig.....if it was sailing from Fleetwood it would be possible perhaps....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 09:10

Dude!  Nice going!   That CD Rocks!

Yes, it has some "filler" but its a 2CD set just like what TFK do.  There is more than enough to make a superb
single CD around 50 minutes.  It is so well recorded and the singer has such a talented practiced voice. Great keyboardist too.

Awesome tracks:

One Day
The Garden
When I m Down
Love Never Ends through Don't Give Up flow perfectly
Give & Take
Angeliqua
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 09:17

Ok, now this is scaring me.Confused  I actually understood completely what Barney wrote and I agree completely!Cool

I think this kinda large scale epic is definitely doable.  Much like a long opera or a long symphonic piece.
Lengthy compositions have been done classically for centuries. As far as subject, most topics have been played out
so... the last great epic work would in fact encompass all of humanity from the Earth's creation to the planet's demise.

This is brilliant!  
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 11:08
That Unitopia album is one I've been toying with the idea of getting for a while now. Love the cover, description sounds good but quite a few negative reviews left me in 2 minds. someone compared them to Magic Pie (the band not the track;-) ) and for me that's a horrific thought as their Motions of Desire is truly one of the worst albums I've heard - uninspired disjointed garbage, I won't be getting owt else by them that's for sure. I sold it on amazon (well my missus did) for a tenner so I am glad to be shut of it.

The glowing recommendation from Dennis could be the one to persuade me to get my credit card out but does anybody else have any views on The Garden?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 13:17
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

That Unitopia album is one I've been toying with the idea of getting for a while now. Love the cover, description sounds good but quite a few negative reviews left me in 2 minds. someone compared them to Magic Pie (the band not the track;-) ) and for me that's a horrific thought as their Motions of Desire is truly one of the worst albums I've heard - uninspired disjointed garbage, I won't be getting owt else by them that's for sure. I sold it on amazon (well my missus did) for a tenner so I am glad to be shut of it.

The glowing recommendation from Dennis could be the one to persuade me to get my credit card out but does anybody else have any views on The Garden?
What more do you need?Confused  Did I steer you wrong with The Chicken Farmer Song?Approve

The Garden is 2 CDs filled completely with an epic on each side.
I LOVE The Garden epic but don't care for the other causes it has some real loud heavy parts, which you may LOVE
since you seem to like some of the heavy stuff.

It is recorded really well, so this is to be listened to not put on the iPod when washing the dishes...

Without a doubt you'll be able to find a solid 50 minutes of great music.  The epic piece "The Garden" is worth the price
of admission.  This is a refined composition with a singer with a deeply emotional voice, imagine if Peter Gabriel could actually sing...  Its not for the metal screamers and bashers, though.  This is refined prog for the sophisticated man,
who likes the finer things in life.Cool

ZumaBaby:  Back me up here, what do you say?
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 16:38
Yeah, the Garden is very good.  Production beats most albums these days and the singers voice is great.  Their live album is good too.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 07:33
right then - I'm going to Buy "The garden" - i'll order it from amazon tonight why?
Cover art - Kerchiiiing
Long Tracks - Kerchiiing
Dennis/Zuma - recommend - Kerchiiiing
Lets hope that it don't disappoint....my last few purchases have been a bit of a floppy when I was expecting a boner!!!

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 10:11
I heard a song or two by Unitopia a couple years back and found them pretty awful.  However, I can't really go by that as I had read some reviews that kind of had me expecting to not like it.  They were also fairly short (5 minutes range) so I haven't heard the epic that Dennis says is the reason to buy it.  Also, one listen to a couple isolated tracks on the internet (likely low quality)  is probably not something I should base my whole judgment of the band on.  I will have to give it a try at some point in the near future.

(see Dennis, I'm trying to take a more positive, less argumentative view Wink
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 13:17
Hey Guys,

Quick strikes:

1)  I'm not ruling out the prog on the sea gig as of yet. . . if I can swing it, I will make it happen.  It sounds fantastic.
2)  The Garden by Unitopia is a favorite of mine, put me in the category of people that recommend it
3)  Infandous, you're absolutely right
4)  What the hell is babbes-yead?
5)  $7.00 is way too expensive for Fries
6)  McDonalds sucks, I'm embarassed for my country.

Peace!
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 486>