Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 356357358359360 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 13:36
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I heard a song or two by Unitopia a couple years back and found them pretty awful.  However, I can't really go by that as I had read some reviews that kind of had me expecting to not like it.  They were also fairly short (5 minutes range) so I haven't heard the epic that Dennis says is the reason to buy it.  Also, one listen to a couple isolated tracks on the internet (likely low quality)  is probably not something I should base my whole judgment of the band on.  I will have to give it a try at some point in the near future.

(see Dennis, I'm trying to take a more positive, less argumentative view Wink
LOL   LOL   LOL

See, I knew you would come around!   Welcome aboard!  Wink

As always, there is some truth to what you say.Wink  The earlier Unitopia record wasn't all that, but they hit their stride
with The Garden, not all perfect, but there are 2 CDs full for one to pick through.  The stuff that is good is superior good.
Incredible vocalist & uber-talented keyboardist who plays in the classical style, so that suits me fine.

As always, listening to videos/music on Youtube to form an opinion is like picking up a transvestite hooker under a freeway underpass to see what being with a woman is like...
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 13:54
Hey guys, cool to see some love for Australia's own Unitopia!

About two years ago they played down here in Melbourne....I think barely 25 people showed up for it. Just heartbreaking. I was telling my friend, `this is a real deal proper prog-band, not a metal band with fancy bits like a lot of the Aussie `prog' bands are!'

No offence intended to those sort of bands, though!

Their follow-up to `The Garden', `Artificial', is damn good too! But I just can't stomach that cheesy Beatles pastiche `Nothing Lasts Forever' or whatever it's called, really turns my stomach!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 21:38
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Hey Guys,

Quick strikes:

1)  I'm not ruling out the prog on the sea gig as of yet. . . if I can swing it, I will make it happen.  It sounds fantastic.
2)  The Garden by Unitopia is a favorite of mine, put me in the category of people that recommend it
3)  Infandous, you're absolutely right
4)  What the hell is babbes-yead?
5)  $7.00 is way too expensive for Fries
6)  McDonalds sucks, I'm embarassed for my country.

Peace!

Roland,113,

Are you seriously thinking about the cruise?  I am too.  It would be very cool to meet up with someone from progarchives.   Big smile

RE: Unitopia, I like them.  The Garden cover is really great.  Oh, I'm digging Phideaux these days!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 22:35
Craig, I can't say seriously yet, I'll go with hopefully.  More of a pipe dream, but if I can find the money,shoot, $700 sounds reasonable.

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 04:05

Hey Guys,

Quick strikes:

1)  I'm not ruling out the prog on the sea gig as of yet. . . if I can swing it, I will make it happen.  It sounds fantastic.
2)  The Garden by Unitopia is a favorite of mine, put me in the category of people that recommend it
3)  Infandous, you're absolutely right
4)  What the hell is babbes-yead?
5)  $7.00 is way too expensive for Fries
6)  McDonalds sucks, I'm embarassed for my country.

Peace!
I have ordered the unitopia cd, amazon.
Just got stung for £12.42 import duty on a DVD I ordered from the US of A it looks like the EU are getting serious on slapping large hunks of cash onto merchandise bought outside the union. So you have to try and source an item in the EU first Angry
A "babbies yead" is a Lancashire colloquialism for the delicious food item otherwise known as a "steak pudding" which is effectively a steak in rich gravy wrapped up in "Suet pastry" case......Called a "Babbies Yead" or "Babies head" because it has a squashy bit at the top !!LOL
And Aye Mcdonalds is everywhere in Britain, we have a drive through about a mile from where I live....never ben in the thing since my son's stopped mithering for a big mac & fries before they developed a proper food taste as they got older !!!
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 10:21

WOW!!

It's the whole of Stardust We Are live in Montreal in 2002 Wink

Thumbs Up

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 12:21

Craig, I can't say seriously yet, I'll go with hopefully.  More of a pipe dream, but if I can find the money,shoot, $700 sounds reasonable.

That's pretty much where I am.  It would be so cool to see full sets by TA, SB and TFK in one setting.  And get to talk to them!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 12:26
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

WOW!!

It's the whole of Stardust We Are live in Montreal in 2002 Wink

Thumbs Up

"A little song we wrote for that album"

Great video!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 06:45
I am considering purchasing the 2012 veriosn of Journey to the centre of the earth by the caped crusader - who has this and is it worth buying? I didn't realise that wakeman has produced so many CD's after "Myths and legend" - I only posses his first three..... (I don't think I'll embark on a fan-boy collection here because it will cost me about three hundred beer vouchers) Wink
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 10:23
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I am considering purchasing the 2012 veriosn of Journey to the centre of the earth by the caped crusader - who has this and is it worth buying? I didn't realise that wakeman has produced so many CD's after "Myths and legend" - I only posses his first three..... (I don't think I'll embark on a fan-boy collection here because it will cost me about three hundred beer vouchers) Wink

it is astounding how much crap the guy has put out.  As soon as he got a hold of digital synths we went wild with mediocrity and cheese.  if he'd been a bit more intentional about his key sounds and Bruford had played real drums, ABWH would've been classic!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 13:57
I have that ABWH CD - another one I've never given a spin - should I?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 14:04
There's the occasional good stuff on that, Barney, but there's plenty more that really tests your patience! I haven't listened to it in years, but I recall there was something along the lines of `Rock N Roll gives courage...' or something totally uninspired and I think I said `Oh, f**k you Jon....' and turned it off!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 17:53
yeah, ABWH pretty much blows.  It has it's moments.  Order of the Universe could've easily been on Tormato or something.  Of course, without the cheese synths and electric drums.  There's some listenable stuff on there, but most is just crap.  Lyrics and all.  Too bad, as it was an attempt at a return to form.  At least they redeemed themselves years later with Open Your Eyes.                  Headbanger
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 18:15
Zuma, I think I really liked `Fist of Fire', the second track, and thought that was one of the better things on it? Urgh....you know what you've done - you're encouraged me to take the CD off the shelf and play it as I'm heading out now!

I'm assuming you're beyond sarcastic with the `Open Your Eyes' remark?! I find it has one or two tracks on it I don't mind like `Universal Garden' and the title track. I think I actually kind of defend that album a little, I've heard plenty of worse in my time! Also, despite it being badly over-produced, Squire's bass still had that thick sound present.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 06:43

H'm I dont think that you've sold it to me - it may stay in the "Never listened to" category whilst I contemplate the other more worthy contenders for the "First spin".....Smile

Now then - which CD/LP do you own (On fist Spin) that a) blew your grunts off on the first spin b) made you think why did you bother and never played it again!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 07:04
Yeah, I didn't exactly commit to the cause selling that album, eh lol?!

I think the most recent album from a little while back that had such a huge reaction in me was Van der Graaf Generator's `Alt'....I was in total disbelief when I heard it - cue ranting statements such as `I can't believe they sold this sh*t to their fans', `what a con', `uninspired aimless fragments of nothing' etc!

But I remember when I first got into prog, two of the earliest CD's I bought were Tangerine Dream's `Ricochet' and Grobschnitt's `Solar Music Live', and I thought they were terrible and got rid of them......At the time, I was far too inexperienced with prog to learn to be patient and give them several spins, letting them sink in. I just dismissed them and cashed them in at the local second hand record shop.

These days....well, I've since rebought `Ricochet' (and ironically listened to it on the way home from work this morning, where I always keep a copy in the glovebox because I listen to it so often )!

Sadly, that Grobschnitt....I saw the concert performance of the same disc on Youtube and my jaw dropped....and I've never come across the CD again!

Look at those prices for it.....I think I got maybe $4 for it?!?!?!?

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Music-Live-Grobschnitt/dp/B0000070MO/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1376482085&sr=1-6&keywords=Grobschnitt

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - August 14 2013 at 07:11
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 12:30
Anyway - I haven't got any Italian prog - seeing as I like early to mid seventies symphonic prog and obviously the flower kings - which Italian prog CD should I buy first?
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 16:06
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Zuma, I think I really liked `Fist of Fire', the second track, and thought that was one of the better things on it? Urgh....you know what you've done - you're encouraged me to take the CD off the shelf and play it as I'm heading out now!

I'm assuming you're beyond sarcastic with the `Open Your Eyes' remark?! I find it has one or two tracks on it I don't mind like `Universal Garden' and the title track. I think I actually kind of defend that album a little, I've heard plenty of worse in my time! Also, despite it being badly over-produced, Squire's bass still had that thick sound present.

i am absolutely never, ever sarcastic.  the best genesis album is calling all stations!     Approve

yeah, open your eyes has some moments.  i like sherwood's sound, it's just that he cant write a compelling melody to save his life.  i'm constantly going back to the 80-00s Yes stuff hoping to find some gems.  they are few and far between.  in fact i put on Magnification yesterday and In the Presence sounded amazing.  today, it sounded horrible!

fist of fire is okay,  quartet has some moments.  actually very well produced...at least the first part.  jon lost all lyric writing ability after Tormato.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 16:07

Anyway - I haven't got any Italian prog - seeing as I like early to mid seventies symphonic prog and obviously the flower kings - which Italian prog CD should I buy first?

i've been wanting to get some PFM, but i just have a hard time with non-english lyrics.  i know that's so closed minded.  Unhappy
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 19:17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 356357358359360 486>