FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollaborators Top Albums of 2007 - Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 21:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hmmmm  the question arises to my mind... since this is PA's and no constitution....  me thinks we need another vote....  we obviously didn't get it right the first time..  I can imagine somewhere someone will be laughing looking that on this site... of all sites.. 2 of the top 7 albums are non prog.. or borderline prog. This WAS a good year for prog... for example.. stuff like the Battles was simply heads and shoulders above  either album from Rush and PT in prog terms... and some point as colloborators... don't you think you can set aside blatent votes on what you like and what you don't for recognizing when prog albums and artists do something different.. unique.. or really make a mark upon  the prog scene.  Thinking out loud....

If your talking about voting for something as the best of the year just because it's different, then I think that's an awful idea, unless it's done in tandem with voting for one's favorites. That sort of thing would make us hipsters like Pitchforkmedia, who go with trends simply because it's the new thing.

Maybe you don't like FOABP, but obviously a lot of people do.
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 21:51
You know everyone here is upset about their favorite bands not being on the list or bands being higher than they'd like. Well hopefully you all are aware/will now become aware of a larger scale list being compiled about favorite albums (except this is every year). That's right, everyone is welcome to submit a list of their favorite albums in the Ultimate PA Albums List. The due date is literally right around the corner, so get them in soon (I won't be a stickler if it's a few days late.)
So yes, please vote. Pretty please.
Here is a link: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44257&PN=1
Sorry to have intruded Smile
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:03
I'm surprised Ziltoid was as low as it was, and I'm STUNNED that it was tied with In Rainbows. FOABP was expected, but I'm a little shocked Rush made it in the top ten. Overall, and interesting list, and one I mostly agree with.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:06
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

hmmmm  the question arises to my mind... since this is PA's and no constitution....  me thinks we need another vote....  we obviously didn't get it right the first time..  I can imagine somewhere someone will be laughing looking that on this site... of all sites.. 2 of the top 7 albums are non prog.. or borderline prog. This WAS a good year for prog... for example.. stuff like the Battles was simply heads and shoulders above  either album from Rush and PT in prog terms... and some point as colloborators... don't you think you can set aside blatent votes on what you like and what you don't for recognizing when prog albums and artists do something different.. unique.. or really make a mark upon  the prog scene.  Thinking out loud....

If your talking about voting for something as the best of the year just because it's different, then I think that's an awful idea, unless it's done in tandem with voting for one's favorites. That sort of thing would make us hipsters like Pitchforkmedia, who go with trends simply because it's the new thing.

Maybe you don't like FOABP, but obviously a lot of people do.

I thought I explained it well.. in private.. in the collab area..  I think there can be a balance of liking something and recognizing new trends and progression within prog.

and my true motives for this were again.. explained the collab area..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:12
I think the idea of rating an album in degrees of progitude Confused would be a good idea, but I think more people are inclined to do so than others. I, for one, don't actively seek out obscure music. I'm still getting into older bands, and it's only by chance in a lot of ways that I listened to many albums in 2007. All collabs are able to voice their opinions on albums they liked, fewer are able to give a solid opinion on the most progressive albums of the year.

By the way, I say yer post in the collabs zone, but only after posting here. I'm continuing here because I started here and I prefer transparency.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:40
hahah.. fair enough..  and I'll be transparent...

my main point or reason to want a re-vote is because this forum has been stale, uninspiring and discussions few and far between recently.  The reason we had a forum stimulator thought up.   I could care less if people think FoaBP is THE prog album of 2007 or not.. but a lot of people don't think so.   There is a discussion there waiting to happen.. something to build interest on. So rather than have this thread sink and die in a few days, we can do something with it.. and yes.. maybe put out a better 2007 list IMO and have fun with it at the same time.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Oceansizzle View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:46
glad Oceansize was at least 16, but i think it should have been in top 5 or 10 along with Radiohead.  I just see alot of prog big names with mediocre albums...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:48
Well, you know I'm not very satisfied with the placement of albums I voted for on this list. I voted for FOABP as Number 1, but I'd still give it only about 3.5 stars. Basically, there were no really good mainstream prog albums this year, IMO. Everything on my list is about 3.5 stars. And I understand your frustration, but this poll is very genuine, as long as all who voted were honest. The numbers don't lie. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:56
of course they don't lie.... but remember what the real purpose of what our work here is for..  not to put out lists of favorite albums... but to stimulate and educate ourselves.. and the gen pop here.  No one doubts that you didn't honestly think that PT album was the best of the year... but at the same time... what is the PURPOSE of the list... what can the list do.. .if some cat sees Gazpaucho up there high on the list.. and they haven't heard it.. .they might actually check it out.  Instead.. we get the same big name albums from the same big groups that ..well...  they are predictable.. and the list really does little.  Anyhow...  just tossing out thoughts.. of course it won't happen because little happens here. That is part of the problem now isn't it hahhahha.
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:56
Originally posted by Oceansizzle Oceansizzle wrote:

glad Oceansize was at least 16, but i think it should have been in top 5 or 10 along with Radiohead.  I just see alot of prog big names with mediocre albums...

You may be new, but you have greater insight than most here Wink
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 23:01
I'm all for making another list, mickster, but I don't think it should be a re-write of this one, because this has value. I think the better option than individual (collab or otherwise) lists compiled is to just get together, discuss the year, and make a top 10 of progressive music. If done the way this list was done, there will be much confusion and overlap once you get to groups that are established (like PT), but who obviously aren't doing the same thing over again (FOABP was quite a departure, IMO).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 23:03
good idea... quoting your post over in the collab area.. see if anyone wants to play....

*hijacking over... you all can go back to shooting holes in the list and wondering just what the hell people were thinking putting a non prog album by Rush on the list hahhaha*
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 23:56

hahah.. fair enough..  and I'll be transparent...

my main point or reason to want a re-vote is because this forum has been stale, uninspiring and discussions few and far between recently.  The reason we had a forum stimulator thought up.   I could care less if people think FoaBP is THE prog album of 2007 or not.. but a lot of people don't think so.   There is a discussion there waiting to happen.. something to build interest on. So rather than have this thread sink and die in a few days, we can do something with it.. and yes.. maybe put out a better 2007 list IMO and have fun with it at the same time.  
Micky, I love you.

I need to get off my ass and write some reviews so I can see the collab zone. You guys know you want another RIO freak. ;-)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 01:04
I would've liked to do this comparison in a nice graph, but I'm tired, and show the ranking of each band's album in another way would look less sloppy (for instance, just list an album once then put the rank from both lists beside it, but since there are many albums ranked the same, I did it this way).                                                                                                 

1. COLLABS: PT - Fear of a Blank Planet            
1. MEMBERS: PT - Fear of a Blank Planet 

2. COLLABS: Robert Wyatt - Comicopera, Grayceon - Grayceon
2. MEMBERS: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times

3. COLLABS: Anekdoten - a Time of Day
3. MEMBERS: Radiohead - In Rainbows

4. COLLABS: Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura
4. MEMBERS: Between the Buried and Me - Colors

5. COLLABS: Battles - Mirrored
5. MEMBERS: Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura

6. COLLABS: Rush - Snakes & Arrows
6. MEMBERS: Rush - Snakes and Arrows, The Flower Kings - The Sum of No Evil, Blackfield - Blackfield II, Rational Diet - Rational Diet

7. COLLABS: Pax Cecilia - Blessed are the Bonds
7. MEMBERS: Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon, Robert Wyatt - Comicopera, Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic: Part One

8. COLLABS: Ulver - Shadows of the Sun, Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement, Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
8. MEMBERS: The Dear Hunter - Act II: The Meaning Of..., Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

9. COLLABS: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times, Fish - Thirteenth Star, Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
9. MEMBERS: Alamaailman Vasarat - Maahan, Anekdoten - A Time of Day, The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works, The Pax Cecilia - Blessed are the Bonds

10. COLLABS: Van der Graaf Generator - Real Time
10. MEMBERS: Gazpacho - Night, Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement, John Zorn - Six Litanies for Heliogabalus, Black Bonzo - Sound of the Apocalypse

11. COLLABS: Oceansize - Frames, The Dear Hunter - Act II: The Meaning of...
11. MEMBERS: Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow, Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, Lazuli - En Avant Doute..., Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient

12. COLLABS: New Trolls - Concerto Grosso the Seven Seasons, The Morningside - The Wind...
12. MEMBERS: Far Corner - Endangered, Tony Levin - Stick Man, Satellite - Into The Night, Thork - Nula Jedan, Marillion - Somewhere Else

13. COLLABS: Sieges Even - Paramount, Shining - Grindstone, Senogul - Senogul, Reasoning - Awakening, Flower Kings - The Sum Of No Evil, Between the Buried and Me - Colors, Alamaailman Vasarat - Maahan
13. MEMBERS: AmAndA - Le Maison de Flore, Baroness - Red Album, Glass Hammer - Culture of Ascent, New Trolls - Concerto Grosso: The Seven Seasons, Moonsorrow - Viides luku - H�vitetty, Battles - Mirrored, Oceansize - Frames

14: COLLABS: Marillion - Somewhere Else, Salle Gaveau - Alloy, Rational Diet - Rational Diet, Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses - "Manfauna,"  14:
14. MEMBERS: Shining - Grindstone, Reasoning, the - Awakening, The Watch - Primitive, Quidam - Alone Together, Pineapple Thief - What We Have Sown, Ulver - Shadows of the Sun

15: COLLABS: Satellite - Into the Night, Do Make Say Think - You, You're A History In Rust,Conqueror - 74 Giorni, Blotted Science - Machinations of Dementia
15: MEMBERS: Nemo - Si Partie II - L'Homme Ideal, Novembre - The Blue, Outer Limits - Stromatolite, Planet X - Quantum, Redemption - The Origins of Ruin, Therion - Gothic Kabbalah, Grayceon - s/t

Anyway, not that different on the whole... Didn't list all of the lower-ranked collab albums.

Edited by Logan - January 26 2008 at 01:07
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 05:57
I can't believe you're all so disappointed to see PT at the top, baffled as to how they won. Isn't it only natural that the most 'popular' band of the time would get the first price? It's not entirely a question of quality, but also quantity. Most people on this website have heard Fear of a Blank Planet, whereas I'm sure not many managed to give Do Make Say Think a listen (not that it would've won anyhow). You can't think of these results as the be and end all of progressive rock in 2007, they're only personal opinions based on limited knowledge. All collabs can't have heard all prog albums recorded in 2007, I myself heard only ~ 10 or so.

I'm not sure whether I made any sense here, but no matter. I'm happy.

Edited by Jimbo - January 26 2008 at 06:03
EnglishAssassin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 07:12
My point was that the value of a annual best-of list lies in it being an historical curio, reflecting opinions at the time.  Judging albums against others released in the same year is necessarily a exercise rooted in the context of its time.  If you want to provoke debate, why not dig out some of the previous years' lists and invite people to contribute their opinions with the benefit of hindsight; that's where the potential for an interesting discussion lies.  Changing the lists after they've been voted for to create one of what you think people should have liked best just seems rather futile and inward-looking; you might as well start asking for votes for the top albums of every year since 1967.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 07:51
Originally posted by EnglishAssassin EnglishAssassin wrote:

My point was that the value of a annual best-of list lies in it being an historical curio, reflecting opinions at the time.  Judging albums against others released in the same year is necessarily a exercise rooted in the context of its time.  If you want to provoke debate, why not dig out some of the previous years' lists and invite people to contribute their opinions with the benefit of hindsight; that's where the potential for an interesting discussion lies.  Changing the lists after they've been voted for to create one of what you think people should have liked best just seems rather futile and inward-looking; you might as well start asking for votes for the top albums of every year since 1967.

Agree 100%. I am one of the few Collabs who didn't vote, as I usually don't - the main reason is that I usually have heard only a portion of the albums in question, and it doesn't seem fair to vote based only  on a small sample of the year's output.

That said, I find such discussions far from productive and/or stimulating. Of course, this is ONLY my personal opinion, with no disrespect implied towards those people who enjoy discussing lists and such. However, what I really think is that such discussions really go nowhere, and don't create any good opportunities for constructive debate. Everyone here has their own tastes, therefore all we can offer is just a reflection of those tastes, which has no actual objective value. Same goes for the 'level of progitude' someone mentioned in an earlier post.

By all means, let's continue to draw up 'best of' lists, because it is an exercise many people enjoy - but we shouldn't expect it to have any potential for interesting discussion, unless by it we mean something along the lines of, "oh, I can't believe album X is #1 - album Y is 1,000 times proggier/more innovative/more interesting/musically better!".

Just my own 2 eurocents, of course...Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 08:21
obviously most agree with you Raff... my suggestion in the collab area.. though I'm not surprised. Has gone nowhere.  I guess most have no desire to debate and discuss such things.. oh well hahhaha.

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 10:53
Jimbo, I've not heard Fear of a Blank PlanetWink
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 11:11
D'oh! I didn't vote!

Zorn, where oh where is Zorn?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>