Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 413414415416417 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 20:05
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Some average epics would be... Yes' The Remembering (or The Ancient, I forget)

Welcome back laddie!   Tongue   Smile   Clap

The Remembering is wonderful.  I'd agree that The Ancient wasn't baked long enough in the oven, though.

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 01:22
its been a moody nightshift in no player was being allowed PROG!   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 17:20
Just got some goodies in the mail.

Wish the picture quality was better... At the moment, I'm most interested in the new Tangent album, due to the lineup, as I'm excited for the new King Crimson tour. Or is TFK the way to go first?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 01:24
well that's four class prog bands albums, some great listening too!. basic answer would be close your eyes pick up one then play... its another little downer of no prog music played at work, car or   anywhere... see if I`ll getting any listening time in today...

Music Is Live

<
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 06:32
Opeth's Pale Communion on in the old jam jar today.  

Anybody who hates Opeth's growls can now come out from behind the settee.  They are gone, long gone.  And now Opeth have made a full prog album, and a pretty damn good one too.  loads better than the transitional Heritage.  Mid 70s atmosphere, lilting mellotron, clean vocals, excellent musicianship and a disappearance of metallic riffs and licks and you have Opeth's new one.  Recommended to all non-Opeth fans.

I like it a lot.  Do I prefer it to Deliverance, Blackwater Park, Still Life or Ghost Reveries?  Ermmmm, no.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 10:18
I decided to go with the Transatlantic one first. Listening now. I had heard this once when it came out, but did not give it my undivided attention, and wasn't in the right head space anyway. I remember a moment or 2. I can understand people saying it's not their best, but the bunch of mixed reviews paint it as an awful album, and I try to forget what others said about it while I'm listening. This album will probably grow on me after some time after the hype and haters quiet down.

I've actually been into Opeth since the Blackwater Park days, but I was more into metal back then, especially more extreme metal. I lost interest in the band way before Watershed came out. My musical tastes changed, and the classic lineup from Still Life through Ghost Reveries (the most complete Opeth lineup with the keys added) had crumbled. When Watershed came out, I checked it out, listened once or twice, thought it was cool, but never returned, I had moved on from the band.

I'm a firm believer that they could do all they could do with the style they perfected in the late 90s/early 2000s. Ghost Reveries was the peak, IMO. They managed to squeeze one more out after, but Mikael definitely knew it was time for change.

When Heritage was announced, I was intrigued by the lack of growls and the fact that they were probably never going to return on an Opeth album again; but also that they upped the prog level a bunch. I enjoyed Heritage a lot, and it was refreshing, though definitely transitional. I'm excited to hear Pale Communion, especially as it's been getting great reviews, and I'm hoping it's the album I thought Heritage would be.

Edited by darkshade - September 11 2014 at 10:20
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 10:21
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Some average epics would be... Yes' The Remembering (or The Ancient, I forget)

Welcome back laddie!   Tongue   Smile   Clap

The Remembering is wonderful.  I'd agree that The Ancient wasn't baked long enough in the oven, though.

Thanks. Good to be back. Smile It's been a while since I've listened to TFTO, it probably was The Ancient, I know it was definitely one of those middle epics.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 10:27
thanks Roj, Opeth there not been on my listening to bands to be honest I`ve been on the heavy side of prog as I`ve gotten it many of the bands which I`ve added to the ever growing prog collection. there just a band I`ve been unable to sit and listen to them there just not my cup of tea. I don't think they ever will be as you said Emmmm, no... the listening today Marillion= Script For A jester`s Tear... TFK is a cd for tonight`s shift wow wee yes the only which wonderful album...

Music Is Live

<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 12:10
Hmm, you've all inspired me, listening to 'Not as Good as the Book" this afternoon.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 02:45
yeah its a great album NAGATB, the Tangent are recording a new album to be released in 2015 called A Spark In The Aether. you can if you wish pre-order it on the tangent website shop. there is also a solo album by Andy Tillinson to be released soon called Multiplex you can also on the website pre-order it to. the geekfreak as. the fact that members of TFK are or have been members of The Tangent only helps me like the music of the Tangent more... do you now of any good on the topic of Progressive Rock you would pass on to me.

Music Is Live

<
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 03:04
Tangent eh?  Not listened to them in a while and I don't have that one Tom. A Place In The Queue and The World We Drive Through are the only albums of theirs I have.  I should really remedy that as the recent albums have had favourable reviews

As for Marillion I'm much more a h-era fan, though Script is a good album.

Today I've been listening to Fracture by ARC, an English electronic duo with a very strong Berlin school influence ala TD or Schulze, but with a modern twist.  Really excellent.  On the way home tonight it will probably be Trouble With Machines by District 97.  I really like Helen Hunt, she's a great vocalist, but I definitely prefer their debut album, I really liked the cello player and that is missing on the TWM album.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 03:24
H-era Marillion are great albums, but Fish-era is a magical timewarp in that I remember each album on its first released date then waiting for the tour date to arrive the concert, meet up with friends and bumping into the band at the bar, Roj, on the Tangent listen to the albums comm down and out in Paris and London, the two lasts ones are well worth a listen too!. the debut is also worth checking out.

Music Is Live

<
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 03:28
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Tangent eh?  Not listened to them in a while and I don't have that one
Tom. A Place In The Queue and The World We Drive Through are the only
albums of theirs I have.  I should really remedy that as the recent
albums have had favourable reviewsAs for Marillion I'm much more a h-era fan, though Script is a good album.Today
I've been listening to Fracture by ARC, an English electronic duo with a
very strong Berlin school influence ala TD or Schulze, but with a
modern twist.  Really excellent.  On the way home tonight it will
probably be Trouble With Machines by District 97.  I really like Helen
Hunt, she's a great vocalist, but I definitely prefer their debut album,
I really liked the cello player and that is missing on the TWM album.

Roj, I think you mean LESLEY Hunt! Helen Hunt is the woman from that `Mad About You' sitcom from many years ago!

Cool album and band, though, and she's a gutsy little singer!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 04:43
Helen Hunt - sounds like cockney Rhyming Slang to me -
The old-porkies joke - phone the barmaid up and ask her if Michael Hunt is in the Bar tonight!
So when she - calls out ...... Has anybody seen Mike Hunt !!! Fnarr Fnarr....

Anyway off on my hols for two weeks.... (Just found out that you can remove nasal hair swiftly with long-nose pliars, but it's not for those who have a low pain threshold - it brings a few tears to your eyes and makes you sneeze!!)

TTFN

Edited by M27Barney - September 12 2014 at 04:49
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 06:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Roj, I think you mean LESLEY Hunt! Helen Hunt is the woman from that `Mad About You' sitcom from many years ago!

Cool album and band, though, and she's a gutsy little singer!

How embarrassing Embarrassed.  At least I got the surname right Wink.  Yeah, Helen Hunt was in Jurassic Park too I think.  Nice.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 06:15
Thanks for the recomm re:comm (pun intended) geek freak.  Those are the ones I will line up first, though it may take some time.....
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 09:29
that's great news Roj, like the pun too!. how`s the world of Roj and if you don't minded what part of Manchester are you from. I was born in Salford. which TFK album was your own personnel trek into the world of TFK... I didn't listen to them until SWA... listen up its a prog feast tonight for me, I`ve pre-loaded the 5cd player with TFK/TA/PO90D/Tangent there are two TFK cd`s yeeeeeeees!. wow wee god for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Music Is Live

<
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 16:08
Big fan but I don't understand the bonus disc thing they've been doing with the past few albums. It's either a double album or it's not folks. Tongue Spock's Beard has been doing it lately also. I just don't get it. In the past they put out albums that were clearly doubles. Maybe this is there way of trying to say" if you want it to be a single it's a single and if you want it to be a double it's a double" I don't know.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 04:59
One of the bonus tracks, Interstellar Variations, is an amazing piece of Prog, especially when Boden applies his Rhodes e-piano sound a couple minutes in......
......These guys are on a roll........
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 07:27
which TFK album was your enters in the world of TFK... is there one epic which to you is there amazing, epic which you wouldn`t be without... which albums would be in and all time list... right what a great nights listening into the early hours prog all the way... two TFK ooh wee yes happy GK... is there the one thing I`d like is a fan pack magazine by classic rock presents PROG, like they do with Slash ETC... wouldn't that be cool fingers crossed they could think about it maybe hmmm no I``ll email them I think ooh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!.

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 413414415416417 486>