Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 15:27
Just finished Something from the Nghtside by Simon R. Green.

Currently reading Agents of Light and Darkness by Simon R. Green.

Will soon begin reading Swords of Haven or Beyond the Blue Moon by Simon R. Green.

Thanks for recommending Simon R. Green to me, Jody! Hug

Edited by stonebeard - October 14 2006 at 15:28
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 08:02
Selected short stories by Dino Buzzati.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 18:25
I recently finnished the fifth book in Kevin J Andersons The Saga Of Seven Suns. Rather good, but I get a feeling that the last two could quite easily be dissapointing. I hope he proves me wrong.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 03:31
I'm reading a very unique novel by Ali Smith (English, born 1962) called The Accidental. It has won several prizes and for a reason.
 There's a family in their summer house in Norfolk and an unknown young woman comes to stay there. The point of view changes from a family member to another, and the multi-voiced (third person) narrative is just brilliant. And the mysterious woman Amber (who for example teaches anarchistic thinking to a 12-yr girl and has sex with the girl's big brother) is one of the most intriguing literary charachers I've come across. Stern Smile 

Edited by Matti - October 20 2006 at 10:04
Falling Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falling Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 07:50
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Siddhartha by Hesse?! Thumbs Up
Reading that too.Embarrassed

Tool makes the butterflies in my tumybox go woooooooosh
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 07:55
Just got the latest book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series; "Thud".  Looking good so far, although I am biassed as I love the Discworld stuff.
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 07:56
Originally posted by Heavyfreight Heavyfreight wrote:

Just got the latest book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series; "Thud".  Looking good so far, although I am biassed as I love the Discworld stuff.

Always good to see another Pratchet fan, Thud! was pretty damn good, cant wait to get my hands on Wintersmith.Big smile

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 16:10
You know Richard Bach (he wrote Jonathon Livingston Seagull - a great book, made him famous).  Well, the next book of his is even better. Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (not sure the title is completely right).  This book is one of the most insightful I've read in a long time.

Also, anything by Kurt Vonnegut or George Orwell.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 16:12
Originally posted by Falling Flower Falling Flower wrote:

I'll buy the book in about a week or so.

Is it compulsory reading or are you really into reading that book? (question for both Cygmund and you, Debby) Wink

Edited by Ricochet - October 19 2006 at 16:12
Scapler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scapler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 21:04
Recently finished two completly unrelated books:

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged (the whole 1,069 page beast)

and John Grisham's The Broker (much more mindless and shorter)
Bassists are deadly
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 03:24
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Just got the latest book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series; "Thud".  Looking good so far, although I am biased as I love the Discworld stuff.
Always good to see another Pratchet fan, Thud! was pretty damn good, cant wait to get my hands on Wintersmith

There are a lot of Pratchett fans here - I've fallen somewhat behind recently though, the last one I read was 'Monstrous Regiment' which behind all the humour contained some very good anti-war satire.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Falling Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falling Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 06:26

Originally posted by Falling Flower Falling Flower wrote:

I'll buy the book in about a week or so.

Is it compulsory reading or are you really into reading that book? (question for both Cygmund and you, Debby) Wink
I was in the library yesterday because my best friend needed a book for school and suddenly saw the book and was like "hey...that's the book they were talking about on PA" so I took it.Smile

Tool makes the butterflies in my tumybox go woooooooosh
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progismylife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 14:09
Originally posted by inpraiseoffolly inpraiseoffolly wrote:

You know Richard Bach (he wrote Jonathon Livingston Seagull - a great book, made him famous).  Well, the next book of his is even better. Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (not sure the title is completely right).  This book is one of the most insightful I've read in a long time.

Also, anything by Kurt Vonnegut or George Orwell.

Yeah, anything by George Orwell or Kurt Vonnegut is good.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 14:25
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Just got the latest book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series; "Thud".  Looking good so far, although I am biased as I love the Discworld stuff.
Always good to see another Pratchet fan, Thud! was pretty damn good, cant wait to get my hands on Wintersmith

There are a lot of Pratchett fans here - I've fallen somewhat behind recently though, the last one I read was 'Monstrous Regiment' which behind all the humour contained some very good anti-war satire.

There's certainly a few of us. The one after Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, is garanteed to have you falling out of your seat, one of the funniest in the series.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 21:05
Just finished the first part of the Swords of Haven: The Adventures of Hawk and Fisher, "Hawk and Fisher." I really like it. Big smile I'm going to begin the second part soon, "Winner Take All."

Simon R. Green is such an excellent writer, I just want him to start writing another book of great storytelling like Swords of Haven, Drinking Midnight Wine, or Blue Moon Rising. I'm enjoying the Nightside series so far, but the writing seems unpolished, kind like a sort of forced noir.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 10:22
I'm reading Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre.
Sirens Cry View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirens Cry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 10:23
Just finished 'Walking on Glass' by the glorious Iain Banks, for the third type. Think, but not sure, that I'm vaguely beginning to understand what it's all about.

Before that; Something Rotten, by the equally wonderful Jasper Fforde.

Next (hehehe - sorry, in-joke, you have to read some JFf), Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake. starting with Titus Groan, as I'm pretty sure that it's referenced more than just the once in WOG.

BTW, both IB and JFf have rather excellent fora themselves........Approve  
Sailors beware!
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 10:33
Jasper Fforde sets some of his stuff in Swindon, doesn't he?

Not ready any, but was curious about his references to the town?
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 15:19
Yeah, just finished reading the 500 page 'England: The Autobiography' by John Lewis-Stempel

It's an intresting collection of historical primary source material about England arranged in chronological order, from Julius Caesar's first impressions about our Isalnd in 55BC, via the Peterloo Massacre, through to Jonny Wilkinson's drop kick against Australia...

thoroughly enjoyable for the history buff...Geek
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 15:21
Originally posted by Sirens Cry Sirens Cry wrote:

Just finished 'Walking on Glass' by the glorious Iain Banks, for the third type. Think, but not sure, that I'm vaguely beginning to understand what it's all about.

I think you might have to explain it to me then... it's a while since I read it, but vaguely thinking that the 3 stories came together in the end... sort of..Confused

and when you've explained that one, you can start explaining 'Song Of Stone'...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 320>