Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2006 at 00:41
you don't say...
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 20:35
Recently read David Fiddimores new book, Charlie's War. Great read thats basically a cross between Saving Pivate Ryan and Road Trip!

Alos read R.A Salvatores Servant Of The Shard.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 09:40
"The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana" by Umberto Eco.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 17:20
Just finished Chuck Palahniuk's 'Invisible Monsters'  Clap
and now I'm working on a biography of Robert Oppenheimer, should be interesting.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Scapler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scapler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 17:26
Just finished Orson Scott Card's Ender series, one of the best series I have ever read, I picked up Ender's Shadow, and will read it soon

Image:Ender's game cover ISBN 0312932081.jpg
Bassists are deadly
Gravity Eyelids View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravity Eyelids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 18:34
Just finished Carlos Castanada's, The Teaching's of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. Clap 

Into this wild Abyss the fiend
Stood on the brink of Hell and looked a while,
Pondering his Voyage.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philéas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 19:05
Currently reading The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. Highly recommended!
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:30
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Recently read David Fiddimores new book, Charlie's War. Great read thats basically a cross between Saving Pivate Ryan and Road Trip!

Salvatore is marvellous, dear chap. Clap
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:44
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Salvatore is marvellous, dear chap. Clap

I know that now, he writes incredible charicters. Will be out to get his other books.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:52
Never doubt me, ever again! LOL
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 21:06

He's still not a match for Tolkien, he didnt actually creat the world in Forgotten Realms, that was Ed Greenwood.Wink

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 21:15
I know, but I've read reviews for Ed Greenwood's books and apparently many people hate his novels. LOL

I'm going for some Elaine Cunningham next.

I prefer him to Tolkien.

Yeah yeah, so stab me with your puny little short sword, I'll hack you down with Twinkle and Icingdeath, Frodo!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 05:30
I just read the biography of Kate Bush by Rob Jovanovic.
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darksinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 06:54

He's still not a match for Tolkien, he didnt actually creat the world in Forgotten Realms, that was Ed Greenwood.Wink

actually, it was a bunch of guys at tsr

"hey! let's create a gaming world where bards and rangers are actually important!"
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darksinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 06:57

I know, but I've read reviews for Ed Greenwood's books and apparently many people hate his novels. LOL

I prefer him to Tolkien.

Yeah yeah, so stab me with your puny little short sword, I'll hack you down with Twinkle and Icingdeath, Frodo!

someone has a magic weapon called "twinkle"??? you gotta be sh*ttin' me! what does it do? cause the enemy to laugh themselves to death when its lameass name is invoked?

"Face the wrath of Bloodrune, mortal!"
"Hah! I'll cut you down with the power of Twinkle!"
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:04
Recently finished reading Nabokov's "Lolita", it did not disgust me as much as I had expected and, despite being unable to actually explain anyone the idea, I believe I've got it (which seems to be a case with 50% of the literature I read). "Oblomov" is next for me.
sig
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:56
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

I prefer him to Tolkien.

someone has a magic weapon called "twinkle"??? you gotta be sh*ttin' me! what does it do? cause the enemy to laugh themselves to death when its lameass name is invoked?

"Face the wrath of Bloodrune, mortal!"
"Hah! I'll cut you down with the power of Twinkle!"

I've not got to section about Twinkle yet, but Icingdeath is named after a dragon.  I wouldn't call them magical, per se (well, Icingdeath is, I don't about Twinkle yet).

Actually, Drizzt could probably beat up a dude/dudette with a normal scimitar (he wields two scimitars usually), especially someone with a weapon called Bloodrune.

Oh and he never invokes his weapons, he just uses them, he doesn't need to go around saying "feel the wrath of Twinkle!", he just gets on with it.

Edited by Geck0 - January 03 2007 at 15:57
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 16:01
Finished an incredible eloquent read, that is Eco's Pendulum, now taken in hands Jonathan Franzen's Corrections
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 16:05
i finally finished a volume of Cinghiz Aitmatov's stories. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 16:08
I am still going through the Icewind Dale Trilogy, I have yet to start book two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 320>