Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedflower Kings ... as good as genesis??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 03:28
Ok i feel so bad for saying this but Flower kings music is sooooo retro.Don't get me wrong but i think it's wrong comparing them with Genesis.When Genesis started their music was so groundbreaking and true progressive.But nowadays with the flower kings what you get is a modern copy of the Yes/70s prog rock.It's ok to like them but there're better things in prog today.(radiohead , the mars volta , tool , even KING CRIMSON for christ's sake evolve with each album Wink )
Tomodachi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 06:40
Ok I see your point and I respect it, but I still love TFK and even think they are often innovative Smile
I agree with you on the fact that they cannot be compared with Genesis.
Mr. Sanchez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 08:59

It's all about personal preference...
Those who like Flower Kings over Genesis and vice versa so be it.

Personally i think that Genesis are better because they are Original.
It's Calling Me Back To My Home.
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:10
No one question the originallity argument, and the point here is discuss if TFK is as enjoyable as genesis, what you think about it?.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:15
Originally posted by Rorro Rorro wrote:

No one question the originallity argument, and the point here is discuss if TFK is as enjoyable as genesis, what you think about it?.

I clearly enjoy listening to TFK more than listening to Genesis. Doesn't mean that I think that they're the better band, not at all. You cannot compare them anyway, because TFK build up on Genesis.
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:23
I totally agree, i consider Genesis a better band, but a i enjoy more TFK, it's more dinamical and unpredictable, not as emotional, but i think what majes them enjoy that much is their jazzy style, in this topic drumming and bass are quite exquisit. I mean , maybe the quality of TFK's music is better in terms of sofistication and complexity ( and i think that's the reason why i enjoy them more than Genesis), but Genesis is better due to the originallity and being pioneers in their style, also they were able to show you a wide variety of emotions that TFK aren't able.
Maverick View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 13:57
Interesting topic, really!

Hey, how can we compare Genesis (formers of art-rock, unique band) and Flower Kings (keepers of prog traditions, prog-masters and Champions Of Prog nowadays)? They are different bands, although Flower Kings has a lot of Genesis-like melodies and structures.
I love both Flower Kings and Genesis, they're my favourite bands. And of course, Flower Kings has created as wonderful music as Genesis. These two bands are winners, no doubt.
In PROG We Trust
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 17:12
That comparison is unfounded.  To compare Genesis with Camel or Gentle Giant seems to be more realistic.  TFK and Genesis are in two distinct league. genesis is in the company of camel, rennaisance, barclay james harvest, VDGG, Yes, ELp, ect..as opposed to TFK who are in the company of Porcupine Tree, Anglgard, Spocks Beard, Wobbler, i suppose, The Tangent among others.  
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 17:33
I have to agree with Zito! Yes were one of my favourite three groups in the seventies, equal to Floyd and just behind Genesis. I always rated them highly, especially in their peak period, from Fragile to Going For The One. Technically excellent and the masters of 'the epic'. However, FK are as good, if not better. They are certainly more consistent. No bad albums, no really bad tracks (consider some of the dross Yes has produced since GFTO) I personally love Tomas Bodin's style, he has all the technical wizardry, yet knows when to stay in background and add the odd subtle touch as required. Reingold is as good as Squire ( my favourite bass player), Stolt is as good as Howe, more diverse in fact, and definitely a better singer and solo artist! All three of their drummers can, match White, and even Bruford. So yes, they are better than Yes, (all Yes fans will be shaking their heads now and saying 'how can you say that, Yes are the masters', but we all have our opinions, and remember, I am a Yes fan too!) As for better than Genesis, well, that is harder to say, they are so different. Genesis are probably still my favourite band. FK don't have their lyricism, or olde worlde Englishness, of course, but they are not far behind, for me. Interesting here, if I was put on the spot and asked to name my top five prog bands of all time, my first choice would be Genesis, but after that it is a toss up between Flower Kings, Yes, Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd, in any order depending on the day. I just prefer to enjoy the music of all of them, and not worry too much which I like the best. Depends what music I am in the mood for too! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345