Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarl Palmer as a drummer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 19:19
A decent drummer, neither crap nor brilliant.
Probably the second best musician in the band, behind Emerson.

echocharlie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 22:50
Carl Palmer was the FIRST to fuse the modern drum kit with orchestral and synthesized percussion in such a seamless manner as demonstrated on BSS. Although this thread is somewhat interesting, it is also chuck full of some very dubious comparisons. One must take into consideration the innovation that CP brings to the party as well as the level of showmanship that has dazzled countless thousands of concert goers since many weekends ago. CP is a musician who happens to be a drummer. His drumming credentials does rank him among Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich within the context of prog methinks.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 22:53
He's talented, unfortunately he was stuck in a band with Kieth Emerson.
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 00:30
i just recently saw the Carl Palmer Band, and i have to say that they are fantastic! and well worth the price of admission (i paid 20 dollars to see them in Springfield, Illinois where the audience was only around 50, but he played there because he loves the venue - normal venues on the tour were 5-10k on average i think)

The entire band is fantastic, Palmer is the showcase, and even pushing late 50's, he is a wonderfully inventive and insanely skilled drumme, which was even more shown, because they performed reworked ELP songs and classical pieces in a Prog-Metal vein, which really showed off all three members skills.

Any lover of prog should go see them and/or buy their live 2006 DVD - Its like ELP with a great shredder instead of Emerson and a bass player easily four times better than Greg Lake, but the entire set is instrumental (well worth it just to see Palmer keep one drumstick atop his ride, still playing it with NO HANDS)

Overall on his playing, i have to say that Bruford might be a bit more technical and creative, but he lacks the strength, speed, endurance, and heart of Palmer
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
echocharlie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 07:18
^Yeah - the Springfield show was quite good - despite the pathetically low turn-out. It was possibly the worst ticket sales of the US tour. What's the deal in Springfield IL anyway??
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 07:21
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Could have been 100 times worse. He could have been stuck in a band with Ian Anderson.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 08:03
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Any chance of you elaborating on that statement?
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 08:11
    I dont like carl playing at all
...live for tomorrow...
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 10:09
Carl is very versatile. His playing is a mixture of subtilities, great techniques, variations, speed, agressivity, (and sometimes groove), creativity, a very great showmanship and all this combined with a good connexion with the audience. ( a real stand up comic between music pieces...).

Like I already told you, I saw many drummers playing at the Mtl DrumFest ( something like 20 drummers in two fests.), they were all good, with a lot of skills in their own styles, but for me, nothing is more enjoyable than seeing Carl playing drums 15 feet from me...
C'est la vie
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 11:25
Funny thread. A lot of back-stabbing! Tell me, why does one musician always have to be 'better' than another? E.L.P. are far from my favourite prog band, but whenever I listen to their classic albums, I thoroughly enjoy Palmer's drumming. His playing is truly exciting and amazingly inventive. So never mind the technical deficiencies (if there are any).

As for Bruford, he's my favourite drummer of all time. No other prog musician has given me such (musical!) pleasure for over three decades. To paraphrase Sylvie (by the way: Hi, I love those pics; what a relief to read an outspoken and highly knowledgeable female prog fan!): "Nothing could be more enjoyable than seeing Bill play drums 14 feet away from me", for hours at a stretch. At the same time, I'm aware jazz lovers are so spoiled for choice that most don't even bat an eyelid at the things Bill and Earthworks try to do...

Edited by fuxi - December 29 2006 at 11:26
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 13:56
I like Palmer’s drumming, and he sounds very skilful to my ears. It seems quite a few people in the know think so too:

Best Drummer 1971
Melody Maker (UK)

Best Drummer 1972
Circus Magazine (USA)

Best Drummer 1972
Melody Maker (UK)

Best Drummer 1974
Pop Hammer (Germany)

Best Drummer 1974
Melody Maker (UK)

Best Drummer 1975
Modern Music Maker Awards
Circus Magazine (USA)

Best Drummer 1975
Melody Maker (UK)

Best Drummer 1975
Music Life Magazine (USA)

Best Drummer 1977
Melody Maker (UK)

Best Drummer 1978
Playboy Music Poll

Percussionist Of The Year 1983
The American Committee of British Rock

Top Drummer 1985
Diario De Avisos Music Canaria (Spain)

Entered into the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame (1989)
Modern Drummer Magazine (USA)

Lifetime Achievement Award (1995)
Percussive Arts Society (UK)

Top Drummer 2000
Classic Rock Society (UK)

Top Drummer 2001
Classic Rock Society (UK)

Edited by Fitzcarraldo - December 29 2006 at 13:58
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 15:28
I'd put Palmer in my top 10 drummers of any genre, with the likes of Peart, Moon, Bonham, Bruford, and Rich. He pioneered electronic effects in a kit which was later perfected by Peart. He's a good balance of Peart's ferocity and Bruford's subtlety. His snare work is a bit weak but it doesn't detract from his ability. He's my favorite member of ELP, though Emerson is the most talented.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 15:58
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

I'd put Palmer in my top 10 drummers of any genre, with the likes of Peart, Moon, Bonham, Bruford, and Rich. He pioneered electronic effects in a kit which was later perfected by Peart. He's a good balance of Peart's ferocity and Bruford's subtlety. His snare work is a bit weak but it doesn't detract from his ability. He's my favorite member of ELP, though Emerson is the most talented.

This is the right words; a mixed of ferocity and subtelety. For me, Carl is in the top five. I doubt that Carl sees himself as number one drummer in the world. He knows perfectly that he has to work on the drums everyday to stay on top of his talent.
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 19:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBav0J_Fs1A

Carl is still fast as you can see on this video taken in september at an Asia show in New Jersey. Enjoy
C'est la vie
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 22:57
I waited untill this thread was advanced to explain why sometimes things are frustrating:

I said about Carl Palmer:

Quote 1.- Fast, strong and loud (Power trios need loud drummer).

Almost everybody has agreed with this point.

Quote 2.- Great bass drum work

Most disagree partially because some examples of strong bass drum are mentioned.

Quote 3.- Not as good with the snares

Because of this phrase I received an avalanche of insults but:

Jeremy Bender wrote:
Quote not always a strong backbeat (too soft on the snare)

and

1800iareyay wrote:
Quote His snare work is a bit weak but it doesn't detract from his ability.

Then I wrote more:

Quote 4.- His use of the cymbals is far from perfect

Sounds controversial but:

Richardh wrote:
Quote I do agree with all the other points!

Precisely the cymbals was one of the points with which he agreed.

Quote 5.- Not very good keeping times

Wow, sounds strong but:

Atavachron wrote:
Quote The complexity of Emerson's work, and the short time they'd been together before recording and gigging, assured that they all flubbed a beat now and then, even Keith.

also

Chicapah wrote:
Quote He was a perfect fit for Emerson and Lake but I never thought his timing was the best

and

Jeremy Bender wrote:
Quote not always steady

My last point was: Spectacular and a great sense of showmanship....I believe nobody can disagree with this.

Now to my central point, all of the points I mentioned were reapeated and at least appreciated in a similar way by one or more members,m so an ignorant and an idiot I'm not.

Also some were contradicted with arguments something that I respect and everybody knows I love a good debate.

But why in hell if my appreciations are shared by some members (Because there are not absolute truths in music as in motst artistic expressions), did I had to waste hours answering attacks with no argument by one member?

I might be wrong, but seems that some of us share the same oipinions, I accept and encourage disagreements but free attacks for the pleasure of attacking is very exhausting.

I waited until the thread was advanced so everybody can see that people can express their opinions with freedom, but yesterday's attack was unnecessary and without any backup argument.

I want to thank the people who supported my right to express my opinion even if they disagree, I believe that's the way debates should be.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 30 2006 at 23:38

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 23:07
Ivan, I increasingly appreciate your tenacity and calm under fire. Combat can be ugly but you bring character to it and, as a martial artist, skill and heart in battle is something I always respect. Though I find myself more fond of Palmer as the years pass, that jackass 'producer' was out of line and shamelessly childish. Heck, you did us a favor by locking horns with him .

Edited by Atavachron - December 30 2006 at 23:28
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 23:36
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Ivan, I increasingly appreciate your tenacity and calm under fire. Combat can be ugly but you bring character to it and, as a martial artist, skill and heart in battle is something I always respect. Though I find myself more fond of Palmer as the years pass, that jackass 'producer' was out of line and shamelessly childish. Heck, you did us a favor by locking horns with him and I haven't seen him since.     

Thanks Atavachron, the interesting thing is that nobody can stop to love drummers like Carl Palmer who are of course technical (Nobody is top notch with absolute lack of technique) but also a force of nature.

He has incredible speed and strenght and if you want more speed you may sacrifice timming, but he insists trying to be faster and more aggressive, nobody can bore watching Carl jumping from his drums to his glockenspiel and Gongs as impulsed by some strange force.

Of course with much more technique but he reminds me of Keith Moon, the human tornado, he was on the other extreme, he could loose the timing completely but he didn't care, he took more and more risks.

When ELP played in Lima, I had my car parked blocking the entrance, so after the third encore we started to leave before somebody crashed us, but of course listening them from the distance (It was the last song), almost a block away I couldn't listen Lake (Of course) or even Keith, but Carl drums were easy to listen...God what a strenght.

Sometimes technique is not everything, having the balls and the skills to take risks is very valuable.

Iván

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 23:46
Yes, in a way Palmer and Moon share a musical spirit that pushed them to physical extremes previously unbreached. Of course Moon was extraordinary...a genuine deity of rock and his manic energy was one of the highlights of the Who, and many drummers are of course still touched by his influence.

Edited by Atavachron - December 30 2006 at 23:49
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 05:07

All very interesting.Some years ago he was asked who is favourite drummers were especially those in the jazz rock field and he admitted he wasn't that interested in that genre or type of drumming.I think he also said that in his mind energy could make up for lack of technique and gave an example (although despite racking my brain I can't remember who it was ...not Keith Moon though).

I tend to put drummers into 2 different categories.The rock drummers who put energy first:
Bonham
Palmer
Moon
White
...are three classic examples

those that are more technique based:
Bruford
Peart
Hiseman
Collins
etc

Most prog drummers will naturally fall into the second category but Carl (and Alan White) provide good examples of out and out rock drummers who strayed into the prog arena..almost by accident.Of course Palmer has great technique in some areas..especially the snare..but he was a rock drummer first and foremost and that makes him more interesting to me.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 05:11
...ah now I remember it was the drummer in Blondie that Carl admired!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>