Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 51>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 14:39
I recently binged the first (and only so far) season of a Japanese sort of sci-fi thriller live action show based on a manga called Alice in Borderland on Netflix. I look forward to season two.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 14:56
The Queen's Gambit. Rather enjoyable, and glad I watched it and only 7 episodes. I must admit I got a bit 'chessed' out by the end though. Unlikely to be any further series too.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 12:29
Hi,

The empty screen. 

Interesting show with no television, and it helped with the meditations. No lousy imagery to interfere with anything and specifically ... commercials for uneducated and written for folks that ... ohh well ... it's the merry season ... only nice comments!

Wink
Geek
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 13:39
Commercials, how old school. I subscribe to various streaming services with no commercials.

I hardly ever watch commercials. I mostly watch streaming services, and a couple I PVR and skip the commercials (HBO, BBC, Channel 4, Prime, Netflix, Britbox, Showtime, FX and others have put out or shown so much great content for my tastes). A lot of wonderful specialty channels and streaming services without commercials (I'm not that big on typical North American network type TV, and used to favour PBS from the US, just had to endure those telethons).

Some of my favourites showing in the last decade have been Fargo, Twin Peaks: the Return, Utopia (the Channel 4 version, not the remake), Les Revenants, The Bridge, Westworld season one, Les Revenants, Black Mirror, Inside No. 9, Chernobyl, The Kingdom, In the Flesh, Misfits (started in 2009), American Gods, The Third Day, and I did love the Good Omens adaptation.... So many more. And I loved the documentary series on Netflix, Wild, Wild Country and various science and nature docs.

I have thought of this past decade as a golden age of TV shows. There is now room for so much niche programming, and shows are now being given the kind of acclaim that film held. EDIT: And a big plus is that now there's so much content readily available from around the globe if one subscribes to services. It feels like an overload at times. nd with so many options across the various streaming services I have, it can be overwhelming that there is very much available on demand. And a lot of it won't appeal to me, and at some times I feel like there is nothing I want to watch (or can't find the right thing I'm in the mood for, though that has led to some good surprises). The possibility for more niche programing to fit less mainstream tastes has been one of the big pluses for me, and to watch it all commercial free.

If it weren't for eye issues, I might still be reading novels as much as I used to (that used to be my main source of entertainment).

Edited by Logan - December 28 2020 at 16:23
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 13:43
I binged the Mandalorian Seasons 1 and 2 before Christmas so that friends and family didn't spoil them for me.  As a Star Wars fan, I quite enjoyed this series.  
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 14:59
^Not sure about the deep fake scene towards the end of the final episode (no spoiler) but I'm hoping it picks up a little in the next season. It definitely appears to be written for a younger audience.

Just finished first season of Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. A departure from the original Penny Dreadful series but still features Rory Kinnear. Set in late 1930's instead of late 1800's and the story revolves around the 'chicano' community in LA. Natalie Dormer plays multiple roles. I preferred the Victorian setting from the previous series but there are some highlights to be seen here.  The original was 3 seasons so I'll wait and see where it goes before declaring my love or disdain for it.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 01:14
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I binged the Mandalorian Seasons 1 and 2 before Christmas so that friends and family didn't spoil them for me.  As a Star Wars fan, I quite enjoyed this series.  

I keep getting nagged by my Brother In Law to watch this , but I'm not a Star Wars fan and don't want to re-watch a bunch of Marvel films so no point in subscribing to Disney + as far as I'm concerned.

My favourite subscription service is Starzplay at the moment. Enjoying the following especially:
Godfather Of Harlem
Ghost: Powerbook II
Veronica Mars Season 4
The Act
Perpetual Grace Ltd

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 03:22

ZOO
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 03:35
I finished season two of His Dark Materials. I started on Zoo before, but should return to it (I went into a non-show, non film phase for quite some time). So much to watch and so few brain cells is my story.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 03:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I finished season two of His Dark Materials. I started on Zoo before, but should return to it (I went into a non-show, non film phase for quite some time). So much to watch and so few brain cells is my story.

I'm glad to see other Zoo "watchers" here....it's a bit complex at times, but the storyline keeps you stuck in your seat !!!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 06:54
Just finished season 1 of Succession.  Maybe a poor man's Billions.
Brian Cox shines as the patriarch of a family owned world wide media company.
Yes, there are all kinds of comparisons to be made with family Trump but this is not a clone or put up on their life. Rather, a glimpse into a world of backstabbing and power playing as son seeks father's throne. We start season 2 tonight.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 09:35
^ other way round in less you are literally comparing the respective fortunes then I'm not sure Smile

Just finished The Act on Starzplay. Great acting from Joey King and Patricia Arquette but a damp squib ending unfortunately hampered by being based on 'true events'. Worth a watch though if you are fed up with the 'same old same old'.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 09:50
^Point Taken. Wink
Finished season 2 of Succession last night.
The "F#@k you and your whole family" narrative continues.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 10:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I recently binged the first (and only so far) season of a Japanese sort of sci-fi thriller live action show based on a manga called Alice in Borderland on Netflix. I look forward to season two.

Same here. Binged it last week. I enjoyed it.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 10:32
Watched first season of Truth Seekers on Amazon Prime. Good to see Nick Frost and Simon Pegg together again. At 20-30 minute episodes, it makes for a quick watch.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 12:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Finished season 2 of Succession last night.
The "F#@k you and your whole family" narrative continues.

Me too.   Good stuff, sort of Mad Men meets Game of Thrones but not really.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 12:08
Finished 'His Dark Materials' and  'Pennyworth'...both are recommended...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 12:51
Pennyworth has just started back up. I've got 3 in the queue. We try not to watch a series till we have a full season for the most part. Once we're invested...we want the whole enchilada.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 20:54
Tonight's pleasure...DES

David Tenant absolutely nails 80's Scottish serial killer Dennis Nilsen.
Three 45 min. episodes for a tight little mini series.
Great Brit Drama.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 02:11
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Watched first season of Truth Seekers on Amazon Prime. Good to see Nick Frost and Simon Pegg together again. At 20-30 minute episodes, it makes for a quick watch.

Not sure in the end how I felt about it. The inclusion of Malcom McDowell in the cast is massive for me but somehow the whole thing lacked wit and punch. No bad but I'm not really that desperate for a second season.

Edited by richardh - January 03 2021 at 02:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 51>