Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Prog-rock is Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 14:47

Pure Reason Revolution and Oceanize are also two reasons why prog is still alive too.

What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
Mike Giles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 23:40
Something's sure, it would be a surprise to see a band like crimson being formed
in these times, poeple dont care about music anymore. They just want money and celebrity.
3/4 of the today's musicians are without talents.
Nothing he's got, he really needs. Twenty first century schizoid man.
audiobrian1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 20:09
darqDean,

Prog rock apparently is NOT dying in the UK!  Magenta RULES.  The freshest new prog I know of today! I ordered "Home" from them in early 2007 - they shipped it all the way from Cardiff to me for about 20 US dollars (about what the local sucky pop CD store in the mall would charge me).  I hope they do a USA tour someday!  I'd do my part to help with the promotion, let me tell you!

I'm not ready to call prog dead anywhere just yet.  My observation is that the formatted music that we listened to until about five years ago had to come by advertiser-supported FM radio, and that severely limited what kind of music people could hear.  Now there are a number of listener supported, advertisement-free "radio" sources - satellite (although not yet in Europe), internet radio, maybe DAB radio?  It's an exciting time, because whatever gets airplay will be truly the popular choice of the listening audience, untainted by the traditional business of using music to prop up ad sales.

Those who play prog, if they market effectively, can once again get airplay for six minute, ten minute, or longer works of music.  I just hope there are still enough "ears to hear" that kind of stuff.
Brian Dotson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 20:21
Miles,

>in these times, poeple dont care about music anymore. They just want money and celebrity.

I have another view.  I believe that is just what is promoted by the media because it has the most ad pull!  Radio men didn't know any better in the '70's than to allow DJ's to play a whole freaking side of a Yes album between commercial breaks because they were still trying to figure out how to use rock on FM radio to make money!  Please see my other post on this thread - we're in a time when that commercial doctrine born in the late '70's that is known as "radio friendly content" will be moved out of the way once again, because more and more people will opt for listener-supported content.  You may be surprised at what people will vote for with their pocketbooks if great musicians seize the opportunity and play out enough with it to rekindle demand!  In the USA, the fair circuits are the best opportunity to promote!

I just posted this very long blog about Keith Emerson today which I thought would resonate only with old farts like myself, and promptly got a response from a 17 year-old progressive rock fan from Argentina!  Take heart, my friend!  Great art forms are timeless, to be enjoyed again and again!

Brian Dotson
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 20:41
Originally posted by audiobrian1 audiobrian1 wrote:

darqDean,

Prog rock apparently is NOT dying in the UK!  Magenta RULES.  The freshest new prog I know of today! I ordered "Home" from them in early 2007 - they shipped it all the way from Cardiff to me for about 20 US dollars (about what the local sucky pop CD store in the mall would charge me).  I hope they do a USA tour someday!  I'd do my part to help with the promotion, let me tell you!

I'm not ready to call prog dead anywhere just yet.  My observation is that the formatted music that we listened to until about five years ago had to come by advertiser-supported FM radio, and that severely limited what kind of music people could hear.  Now there are a number of listener supported, advertisement-free "radio" sources - satellite (although not yet in Europe), internet radio, maybe DAB radio?  It's an exciting time, because whatever gets airplay will be truly the popular choice of the listening audience, untainted by the traditional business of using music to prop up ad sales.

Those who play prog, if they market effectively, can once again get airplay for six minute, ten minute, or longer works of music.  I just hope there are still enough "ears to hear" that kind of stuff.
I'm fully aware of new bands in the UK, including Magenta (who have been around since 2001), the point I was making is that no one goes to see them play live anymore - you can go to a Prog gig now and there maybe as few as 50 people in the audience. Only this week it was announced that ProgPowerUK 3 has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales. As healthy as the scene may appear on CD and MySpace, it's not looking too good in the pubs and clubs.

My contention is that unless people support these bands in the live setting they will not be able to produce albums. Without live support these bands cannot survive, for example they need ticket and merchandise sales from gigs to augment the earnings from CD sales to finance studio recording of the next album. I have heard the arguments that bands will just become studio bands, making music and selling it by downloads, but that system cannot and will not produce the kind of music that bands like Magenta and Mostly Autumn and their ilk are good at - it certainly would never have produced the kind of music Genesis, Floyd or King Crimson and Gentle Giant are famous for.

Incidentally, if you like Magenta, you may care to try out The Reasoning, Tiny Fish or Thieves' Kitchen (if you haven't already)
What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 22:43
OK, I understand now.  Thanks for clarifying.  I'm just depressed that bands of this magnitude draw so little concert attendance.  Cry  I'm afraid you're right that the bands will lack the motivation to continue under these terms, because the effort required for this kind of music is pretty demanding.
Brian Dotson
Xeroth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 15:58
What really sucks is that I love prog-rock/metal and I would LOVE to go and see them, but where I live I get nothin' at all.  I live in the good ol' bubble of Utah Valley, Utah of the USA.  It's hard enough to get prog-rock artists here in the US, but for them to actually come to Utah is even harder.  Just went to a Dream Theater show in Salt Lake City last summer and it had been five years since they had come.  Estradasphere came once, but I wasn't old enough at the time. 

And in order to go and see Kamelot I had to drive all the way out to Denver Colorado (eight hours, 200+ miles), and almost did it for Porcupine Tree last May but I couldn't miss that much school and it was during my final tests and graduation crap for high school.  You guys think it's rough, sometimes I just want to walk up to the artists and knock them on the head and say "Please come to Utah, you have a fan base in Utah Valley that's about as big as some of your shows else where in the US."  I've seen bands agendas were they go everywhere around Utah like Idaho... who goes to Idaho?  Who lives in Idaho (sorry I'm sorry if any of you do)? 

When I went to Kamelot I'd say there was probably a 100-150 people, kinda a weird to see European legends point directly to you and smile and laugh when you yell to them over the speakers that you came out form Utah.  Yeah... that's my vent, my whole family, extended and everything, is born and raised on prog-rock, and I've got all my friends into it as well and they've got theirs.

Wow... that felt good to vent!
I once was cool, but now I'm cold. Can you please turn up the heat.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 20:58
Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Not prog and Not in Fort Fun, Indiana. Unhappy
I feel for you, that must be a real downer. You (and those others issolated by geography) are excluded from my rant Wink

i think i am in this groupCry
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 00:51
Prog rock is already dead.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 05:32
One to think over: last year we had a new prog festival (Symforce) in The Netherlands, and it was a huge success, also visitor wise. The program was a mix of classic prog, prog metal and some more avantgarde bands.
This year we have Symforce II, so the succes may continue. However, looking at the program, the head liners this year are two very popular metal bands, Pain of Salvation and Opeth. I can understand this move, but the fact that those two bands, who are not my taste, fill up 4 hours in the program are keeping me from getting a ticket. I may be the only one, or not, but in cases like this (Symforce is just an example), isn't the need to make money - to be able to have another festival next year - conflicting with the amount of attention that the lesser known bands deserve?

I'd rather go see 5Bridges, Feedforward, Jukka Tolonen or Bootcut when they play a small club, than paying 50 euro to see them, knowing that most of the money won't go to them.

Just a thought....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 08:36
There is one prog supergroup that continues to defy the (dead or dying) market: Yes!
They have recently announced their North American "Close to the Edge and Back" tour:

http://www.yesworld.com/ywtour.html

Tickets go on sale March 29.  My wife (going for support, not artistic interest) and I will drive two hours, spend the night in Columbus, OH, and take the following day off from my job.  Strangely, I have never seen them live, so it's worth it to me!Star
Brian Dotson
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 10:01
Pardon me for repeating this - but too many posts here sounds like the same old same old - my favourite band doesn't sell a zillion copies of their albums / they aren't able to sell out Madison Square Gardens / Wembley / Shea Stadium etc ... . The really big bands in the various genres are able to do that. Most others "enjoy" a more modest level of success. So get over it. I'd love to see Drive By Truckers play in a local club. I'd die to have Angel City (or as they're known in their homeland Australia - the Angels), and Ange would be a dream come through to see them at our local hockey arena. But to bemoan the fact that they don't have the necessary fan base to make this happen is useless & amounts simply to a pity party.
So again, get over it. Radio is not to blame for it. The promoters are not to blame for it. Hell, the listeners, i.e. music fans are not to blame for it, and nor are the bands. It is just good ol' reality that happens to be that they have a small following. This is no indication of how good or great they are. This is not a flaming injustice of historic proportions. This is what it is. No more. No less.
You want to do something about it. That's good. Spread the word, Support the acts. Spend money on product. Yes, CDs, T-shirts, and various media are product. If it is meant to attain a certain critical commercial mass, fine. If it doesn't, well ... that happens & should not lessen your enjoyment of their music. Period.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 10:07
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Prog rock is already dead.

Sorry - but I can't understand that - what a poor statement  Confused

Prog Rock is a music genre - not a creature - even if it might not have a future (what I don't see)
there is a past and the now and here - not to eliminate ...

And there are actually so many talented bands submitted for an inclusion to our site for example ...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 10:20
I don't really think the future of progressive music is dependent on doing a large quantity of live shows and massive touring.  I first became a prog fan in the LP/Cassette/8-track era.  Touring was essential back then.  And you better believe I've seen more than a few shows in small venues, with small audiences, which is a wonderful way to experience great music. 

Now, there are a larger variety of other avenues to spread your music to interested parties.  The amount of good live material on DVD for example.  I have a really nice large selection of concerts I can revisit anytime I like and the artists didn't have visit me or my area personally, I didn't have to drive too far if at all.  I can also get the accessory merchandise directly from the artist's web site.  When you can see the artists in person performing live, it's always icing on the cake.  I see in the future more shows happening in select locations and being shared by DVD.  If these are sold on the artist's web site, then the majority of the profit goes to them.  Buy things direct from the artist whenever you can!

I think prog is well suited to adapt, is doing so, and reports of it's dying are premature.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 23 2008 at 10:30
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 13:59
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I don't really think the future of progressive music is dependent on doing a large quantity of live shows and massive touring.  I first became a prog fan in the LP/Cassette/8-track era.  Touring was essential back then.  And you better believe I've seen more than a few shows in small venues, with small audiences, which is a wonderful way to experience great music. 

Now, there are a larger variety of other avenues to spread your music to interested parties.  The amount of good live material on DVD for example.  I have a really nice large selection of concerts I can revisit anytime I like and the artists didn't have visit me or my area personally, I didn't have to drive too far if at all.  I can also get the accessory merchandise directly from the artist's web site.  When you can see the artists in person performing live, it's always icing on the cake.  I see in the future more shows happening in select locations and being shared by DVD.  If these are sold on the artist's web site, then the majority of the profit goes to them.  Buy things direct from the artist whenever you can!

I think prog is well suited to adapt, is doing so, and reports of it's dying are premature.
You are the echo of my thoughts! Clap As I have stated a few times already, Prog was singled out in 1977 by such illustrious rags as Trouser Press, Creem, Melody Maker and NME , who all jumped on the popular punk bandwagon and crucified what they adored a few years earlier. From 1978 to 1983 , Prog was like a pebble of sand in the Sahara : very lonely! Marillion's somewhat courageous stand kept the flame alive, albeit shakily ! By 1992 , the genre survived by going underground far from the media-fueled ridicule. New Wave is gone (unless you count elevators) , Grunge is nowhere to be heard, so every musical form survives the media glare and lives on . Prog never died and frankly never will, as there is simply way too many stellar groups TODAY . Spirits never succumb, we all should believe in at least that or else apathy (today's sickness) will overtake us all. AmenConfused
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 14:06
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

One to think over: last year we had a new prog festival (Symforce) in The Netherlands, and it was a huge success, also visitor wise. The program was a mix of classic prog, prog metal and some more avantgarde bands.
This year we have Symforce II, so the succes may continue. However, looking at the program, the head liners this year are two very popular metal bands, Pain of Salvation and Opeth. I can understand this move, but the fact that those two bands, who are not my taste, fill up 4 hours in the program are keeping me from getting a ticket. I may be the only one, or not, but in cases like this (Symforce is just an example), isn't the need to make money - to be able to have another festival next year - conflicting with the amount of attention that the lesser known bands deserve?

I'd rather go see 5Bridges, Feedforward, Jukka Tolonen or Bootcut when they play a small club, than paying 50 euro to see them, knowing that most of the money won't go to them.

Just a thought....

2 things

1st: not all countries are the size of a European country man. Hell, half of Brazil is bigger than the whole Europe. Here we got some prog festivals, but i have to drive/fly at least 250 kilometers just to go to the ones that are closer (in Rio de Janeiro) and around 500 kilometers to go to São Paulo or Belo Horizonte; because of that i am pretty much fooked when the talk is about prog festivals (by the way, there are not prog bands in my state, only bands that play covers of classic rock, including some prog).

2nd: Opeth i can understand why you don't like, since their music is so "extreme". However, consider listening to Pain of Salvation, because they are not prog metal, but progressive rock with some heavy metal characteristics. They are probably the "proggyest" progressive metal band around, with lot of clear classic prog influence. So consider listening their albums with a lot of care and patience and you can be sure of one thing: you will like them sooner or later (worked for me Big%20smile).

Edited by CCVP - March 23 2008 at 14:07
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 14:20
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

You are the echo of my thoughts! Clap As I have stated a few times already, Prog was singled out in 1977 by such illustrious rags as Trouser Press, Creem, Melody Maker and NME , who all jumped on the popular punk bandwagon and crucified what they adored a few years earlier. From 1978 to 1983 , Prog was like a pebble of sand in the Sahara : very lonely! Marillion's somewhat courageous stand kept the flame alive, albeit shakily ! By 1992 , the genre survived by going underground far from the media-fueled ridicule. New Wave is gone (unless you count elevators) , Grunge is nowhere to be heard, so every musical form survives the media glare and lives on . Prog never died and frankly never will, as there is simply way too many stellar groups TODAY . Spirits never succumb, we all should believe in at least that or else apathy (today's sickness) will overtake us all. AmenConfused

Well, i am not from the LP/cassette/8-track era neither have experienced the arise, fall and the rebirth of prog rock, so i cannot know how important touring was back then. But i know some things about how today's media have affected prog fans nowadays. Having so many ways to know your idol without really knowing him neither seeing him play have brought some troubles, like the INCREDIBLE amount of "posers" and fans of the "in" band. Hell, when i went to the Dream Theater show on march 7 i could witness that: the incredible majority of people there did even knew what was going on when they played songs that were not from their last album. Just a bunch of old fans, me and my buddy knew the name of the song and its lyrics; everyone else just stood there!
OK, movie clips are important, and also DVDs, but the offspring that they create is hated or despited by the old fans/new fans who REALLY know the band (my case is the 2nd).
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 15:09
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Just a thought....

2 things

1st: not all countries are the size of a European country man. Hell, half of Brazil is bigger than the whole Europe. Here we got some prog festivals, but i have to drive/fly at least 250 kilometers just to go to the ones that are closer (in Rio de Janeiro) and around 500 kilometers to go to São Paulo or Belo Horizonte; because of that i am pretty much fooked when the talk is about prog festivals (by the way, there are not prog bands in my state, only bands that play covers of classic rock, including some prog).

Errr, what's the point in relation to my post? Confused

2nd: Opeth i can understand why you don't like, since their music is so "extreme". However, consider listening to Pain of Salvation, because they are not prog metal, but progressive rock with some heavy metal characteristics. They are probably the "proggyest" progressive metal band around, with lot of clear classic prog influence. So consider listening their albums with a lot of care and patience and you can be sure of one thing: you will like them sooner or later (worked for me Big%20smile).

It didn't, and it won't. It's not a matter of metal, classic or whatever genre - some bands click for me, some don't. Too bad for PoS....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 15:23

Just a thought....

2 things

Errr, what's the point in relation to my post? Confused

the connection is: i cant go to any prog festival or prog show, no matter the size, no matter the venue, no matter when. i just cant because i don't have neither the money to travel such distances nor the possibility to watch any prog rock bands EVER in the city where i live. And in Europe (Netherlands in your case) you have such abundance and are STILL cursing the Heavens, wishing smaller bands to have more space on big shows. Well, prog rock don't sell 60 million copies anymore so, besides the amount of the good anonymous bands, promoters are still more interested in make money.

To make money is the only reason why there are no more space for unknown bands on that festival and why there are only 1 progressive rock band in my state. Maybe thats the problem with capitalism: to put the products in front of the man; to put the HAVE in front of the BE. CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Edited by CCVP - March 23 2008 at 15:24
Real Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 15:39
  Well what's essencial now is MTV and "Pop-Internet"...and I don't think they are interessed in a bunch of artistic geezers and open-minded kids(my case...). But musical types are never  dead, because they're recorded and listened...simple. Some maybe underground but, the prog values are still on. Not being mainstreem and lack of massive shows and festivals are not the ultimate oblivion.
  PROG SHOULD GET ACADEMIC, and then they will be remembered as one of the most eclectic styles ever Smile.

P.S."Pop Internet" is my own defenition of media merketing  made on internet...some use it to promote bands.
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>