Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eapo_q42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 16:53
Send a PM to the guy who posted 2 posts above you, he says he's got issue 6. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 11:23
Originally posted by Eapo_q42 Eapo_q42 wrote:

Send a PM to the guy who posted 2 posts above you, he says he's got issue 6. 

I got mive this Sunday; but I bet it was there on Friday.... which is VERY quick
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 20:24
So what is on the CD in issue 6? I hope it contains artists I have actually heard of this time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 07:28
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Could anyone who received issue #6 tell me if there is a Shadow Circus review in there? I heard that there was, and I am dying to find out!

I saw nothing of the sort.....

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

So what is on the CD in issue 6? I hope it contains artists I have actually heard of this time.

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING

main articles
4 pages on TFK
2 pages on Pineapple Thief
4 pages on Todd Rundgren as a Glam star
2 pages on Icelandic prog.... but not citing Sigur Ros (or barely) norThursaflokkurin

main feature on the album artworks
10 pages on Marillion's album artworks
3 pages on Roger Dean artworks
3 pages of Curved Air, wjere Sonja claims they were the first prog band with a lead singer.... (this is forgetting Renaissance)
3 pages on TAAB's artwork construction (the St Cleves Chronicles paper)
4 pages on Muse
4 pages on Dream Theater
3 pages of Dave Greenslade'sCosmogony artwork
4 pages on Hypgnosis & Floyd

Top 2009
4 pages on the reader's top polls
plus
Another 5 pages of the Mag's top 09 albums, writer per writer..... which is needless since all but one (Sid Smith; who is much more interesting) name all neo-prog and you'd swear it's the same list shuffled overDead >>> a complete waste of paper

Edited by Sean Trane - February 02 2010 at 07:29
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 21:01
That does sound a bit ordinary to say the least. The mag hopefully will pick up again. i for one loved the first issue and the prog metal articles were fine. The weird world of prog was OK too and I have discovered some new prog through the mag so its not all that bad i guess. i wish it had more collaboration from actual fans such as yourself to help out, Sean.

Thanks for info.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 06:10
Yesterday I was reading the magazine during my commute to work and back home, and found another blooper in the review of some of Camel's remasters. It said that both David and Richard Sinclair played on Breathless, but this is not true (only Richard S. was part of the band at the time - David S. joined when he had already left). I understand it is not the end of the world, but it does not look professional either. I know I spend a lot of time doing research when I have to write a review, because getting your facts right is quite important. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 06:50
^ Sorry Raff, but from the official Camel website: "Dave Sinclair had made a quiet appearance on 'BREATHLESS', performing keyboards on "You Make Me Smile" and "Rainbows End", a song Latimer had written for Bardens. "
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 06:56
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Could anyone who received issue #6 tell me if there is a Shadow Circus review in there? I heard that there was, and I am dying to find out!

I saw nothing of the sort.....

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

3 pages of Curved Air, wjere Sonja claims they were the first prog band with a lead singer.... (this is forgetting Renaissance)

Assuming you meant "first prog band with a female lead singer", yes this is a bit of creative thinking on her part!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 06:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ Sorry Raff, but from the official Camel website: "Dave Sinclair had made a quiet appearance on 'BREATHLESS', performing keyboards on "You Make Me Smile" and "Rainbows End", a song Latimer had written for Bardens. "

OK, but are you really sure they got their information from the siteWink? On the album's liner notes there is no trace of this, and the only mention David Sinclair gets is as a temporary member of the band for the tour that followed the release of the album.

Anyway, pointing out bloopers and such does not mean I hate the magazine... I have all the issues up to #5, and intend to continue buying it. I don't believe 'specialized' prog magazines like Progression are perfect either.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 07:24

Please bring this to the attention of the magazine. They are as passionate about Prog Rock as we are.

I also agree with someone here (probably in another thread) that their price is too steep and that will cause problems. At the moment, they are shifting 50 000 x of the magazine and the UK distribution of this magazine is very impressive. I see this magazine everywhere. But they seriously need to cut the price with a couple of quid or more. Thankfully, I have taken out a subscription so my pains is not life-threatening. But it is close...  

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 11:33
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

OK, but are you really sure they got their information from the siteWink? On the album's liner notes there is no trace of this, and the only mention David Sinclair gets is as a temporary member of the band for the tour that followed the release of the album.

No, I think they got their information from Wikipedia LOL
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 15:21
At the end of the day, this is the only magazine on general release in such mainstream shops as W H Smith (in the UK) that is at least passionate about and sympathetic to prog, I think it deserves our full support.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 16:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

At the end of the day, this is the only magazine on general release in such mainstream shops as W H Smith (in the UK) that is at least passionate about and sympathetic to prog, I think it deserves our full support.

I absolutely agree with that. The mag has received some criticism which is surprising (or perhaps not) as its the only mag on the newstand that is solely focused on prog, yet we are all so quick to critique it. Would it be better if it were not out there at all? Certainly we all want to see prog mags on the newstand, those of us who care enough about the music, so this is an excellent mag to both garner fresh interest for those who are not yet initiated, and a great way of keeping up to speed with the latest prog artisits for those who are after new prog, like myself.

The CDs are a tad ordinary, granted they are promoting new prog and the artists are giving permission for these tracks to be included, but I was introduced to some excellent prog through them such as Diagonal and Astra.

I love the old 70s prog era in particular and am very thankful that the mag gives at least an overview on some of those legendary bands, if not for the actual articles, the pictures are at least a wonderful attraction. I enjoy all the album reviews and apart from one review that was way off the mark, the reviews are very good.

The information can be found on the internet but to hold it in your hands and read cover to cover, a prog fan is all the more wiser, and it has provided information that I was totally unaware of although I had scoured the internet for every prog site available. You can never get enough.

Classic Rock and Mojo mags are the next best thing that have your prog band now and then of course, but Prog mag actually is full of prog, something for all prog fans to be greatful for.

I too have subscribed and take each mag as it comes, some are better than others and you can't please everyone, but it is still an excellent addition and supplement to my collection of prog albums.

So let us lighten up on this great magStar!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 16 2010 at 17:16
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 19:21
Indeed, Classic Rock and its Prog spinoff are about the only music mags I buy, and respect these days. I give them my full support. Why? Because they're the only ones who write about and champion the music I care about. I don't give a toss what Lady Gaga or Pink are up to. I want to read about real rock music. Not poser emo bands who clog up the pages of Kerrang and Rolling Stone magazine.

I have discovered so many new bands from reading Classic Rock & Prog mags. I never would have heard of most of these from reading more mainstream magazines. As Classic Rock said of Steve Wilson's Insurgentes album, 'If this said 'Radiohead' on the cover, it would instantly be hailed as a masterpiece'. Well said. I have nothing against Radiohead. In fact, they're a great band. But they do seem to be the only prog-related music which is treated with any respect by the self-proclaimed music cognoscenti at Rolling Stone.

Classic Rock champion prog, and I don't know why people here are criticising them for that. We don't know how good we have it. Ten years ago, just try finding a Prog mag in a newsagent.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 02:19
Totally agree with the above three posts. You can split hairs about the content of the mag, but it's great that a sympathetic and (reasonably) knowledgeable publication about prog is out there at mainstream newsagents.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 03:36

Another 5 pages of the Mag's top 09 albums, writer per writer..... which is needless since all but one (Sid Smith; who is much more interesting) name all neo-prog and you'd swear it's the same list shuffled overDead >>> a complete waste of paper

Which makes me wonder; Is all this neocrap even all that popular among most progfans?

I can't support  this mag and be all positive about it. Its extremely anglocentric (which even commercially speaking is unwise), writes and promotes mostly bands I don't consider progressive, and they're journalists aren't really all that knowledgable. 

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 05:18
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Which makes me wonder; Is all this neocrap even all that popular among most progfans?

I can't support  this mag and be all positive about it. Its extremely anglocentric (which even commercially speaking is unwise), writes and promotes mostly bands I don't consider progressive, and their journalists aren't really all that knowledgable. 

I checked out the staff's individual top 20 again: you'd swear that thy have a list of 30 albums to choose from,  with only  Beardfish and Black Bonzo as non-UK/US and only Hackett and Hammill as non-neo-prog .... and they picked and choose among that list  >>> as if theysimply listen to almost exactly the same stuff.

Only Sid Smith's list is worthy

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 05:21
Even worse.... all of the best musicians (bassists, keyboardists, etc....) come from the same bands....

Clearly their horizons are very limited (bar Sid Smith)
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 13:39
Again, in their defence, they have done serious and informative articles on Italian, Swedish, and French prog, amongst others. They are not wholly Anglocentric, it's just that most of their readership isWink

To get your own back, why don't all of you outside England give Wales your support in the big Six Nations game on SaturdayClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2010 at 17:13
They are certainly not just focused on anglo bands. I had discovered many great Italian and German prog bands through the magazine Classis Rock presents prog and Mojo. Not everyone lives in Europe so it is essential to give exposure to these bands as much as possible. only yesterday i listened to PFMs version of 21st Century Schizoid man on youtube and it was stunning. Also discovered the awesome Riverside from Poland and Magma (from planet X).

Its all good. I love theprog  mag and eagerly await every issue. I use it to coincide with my prog collection and interests and indeed this website. its great to have a mag in your hands that has no articles on Coldplay, Pink or Rihanna. So death to hip hop, crap rap and mainstream music - Long live Prog! And long live this amazing magazine.

i just know that will get a flaming...  Tongue

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 16 2010 at 17:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>