Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix added to proto-prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 12:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I doubt it

most of the resistance - at least from my perspective as someone who opposed his addition over a year ago when he was being heavily discussed - surrounds the question of how directly Hendrix influenced prog.  He undoubtedly impacted almost every guitarist of his time, many of whom went on to be involved in proto or full prog.  On the other hand, the music prog musicians were doing was increasingly apart from and unlike the music Hendrix managed to record before his death in '70, his blues-based psych a far cry from Trespass, Stand Up, or Tarkus.  From that perspective, he was neither protoprog nor progrelated and therefore technically not directly involved in prog's development.  Do I mind he's here?  Not really.

In 1967 The Nice was doing 100% Prog albums, in their debut Rondo (Based ogn Rondo A La Tutk indirectly) and the bonus tracl America (Based ion Bernstein work) they were doing a real enssenmble between Rock and Classical with 100% Prog elements....................To deny their DIRECT influence in Prog would be like being blind (Both performance and composition).

In 1968, Arthur Brown was doing som,e sort of experimental Blues/Psyche with plenty and evident Prog elements, he DIRECTLY influenced Prog in performance and composittion.

The same can be said about Procol Harum, early Moody, but not about Hendrix IMHO.

In those years Hendrix was doing Blues with some Psyche and plenty senseless jamming in which he proved his skills but not a band work, the band was Hendrix with anybody, no Prog elements or structure, probably he influenced some Prog guitarists as he influenced Rock, Pop or even Fusion guitarist, but his influence in Prog is indirect at the most and only his performance, because the compositions IMO have no relation with Prog.

So I share David's position, but as him, now that Hendrix is here, I have no problems.

Iván

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 12:39
Why don`t we add Weny O Williams and the Plasmatics while wer`re at this. When will the madness end? 
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 12:44
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Oh no, and I who wanted to add Duran DuranCry!

I could only support their addition if they were named Duran Duran Duran. Tongue
For some reason I am now hungry like the wolf. LOL

Doesn't that song have the lyric "I smell like I sound" or something?

LOL Hmmm - maybe we can add a catagory like Progressive Synthetic 80's Rock with artists such as Duran Duran, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Depeche Mode, The Cure etc. - NO just kidding!

Thanks M@x for adding Jimi. I always felt that his influence on many prog artists should be acknowledged by his inclusion on PA - and I think he was one heck of a musician!Clap
Putting The Cure in the same sentence as Duran DuranAngryAngryAngry
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 12:58
short summary of influential songs from Jimi -
Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Love or Confusion, May this be Love, Third Stone from the Sun, Are you Experienced;
EXP, Castles Made of Sand, She's So Fine, One Rainy Wish, Bold as Love (the last minute & a half) - you may also want to ask Ritchie Blackmore about Spanish Castle Magic & If 6 Was 9 ...;
And the Gods Made Love, Burning of the Midnight Lamp, 1983 ... ( A Merman I Should Turn To Be) , Moon Turn The Tides ... Gently Gently Away;
And of course - The Star Spangled Banner !

short summary of the myopic view of dissenters -
His failing in our detractors' eyes, in my opinion, is that much of his music was firmly rooted in the blues and R & B. Yet, his guitarr playing on songs like Purple Haze have been called "blues from Mars".

short summary of prototypical prog essentials lacking in Jimi's work -
He was never one to "steal" motifs from the classical canon - strike one.
He was never one to "B3 Hammond as orchestral stand-in" - strike two.
He was never one to assimilate Europeen stylings such as the "Art Song" - strike three.
And most of all, he never limited himself to any style that could be called Psychedelic, Symphonic, Jazz. So he never put out a full blown "prog" album, or even what we call Proto-Prog.

not so short summary of all that bugs me about the naysayers -
But I come back to my first posts on this - enough prog acts were influenced by him and took direction from many of his songs, that to say otherwise betrays the true progressiveness of much of  the man's oeuvre.
Robin Trower. Yes, Procol Harum's guitarist. Ritchie Blackmore, Uh-huh, Purple's main axe man. RPI guys, I'm sure you can find a good sprinkling of Hendrix influence on their six-stringers, especially in the scene's early days. Krautrock & Psychedelic & Heavy Prog ... well ... if Jimi's guitar playing & freakouts can't be heard in some of these acts ... well ... there's always a case to be made for selective hearing or memory.
Don't make me go through these genres and flood you with Hendrix references.
Admit it or not, this god played a role in the progressive scene. And when you consider that most of his music was composed & played in 1966, 1967 & 1968 (most of Electric Ladyland was already sketched out by then), and you compare it to other acts that we have accepted so easily ... well ... the mind boggles at the limited understanding that this music seems to encounter ...
Would a Mellotron on the proggy songs from Ladyland have been what was needed to prove it (whether it was in existence or not) ?
Would some B3 have showed more clearly the prog aspects on songs from Axis ?
Would more  psychedelic guitar effects on Experienced songs really have been necessary to show how mind blowing his playing was , especially in that time period ?
Or, is this just part of the guitar based act's contininuing challenge when being adjugded prog ?

Edited by debrewguy - April 14 2009 at 13:02
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 13:01
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Oh no, and I who wanted to add Duran DuranCry!

I could only support their addition if they were named Duran Duran Duran. Tongue
For some reason I am now hungry like the wolf. LOL

Doesn't that song have the lyric "I smell like I sound" or something?

LOL Hmmm - maybe we can add a catagory like Progressive Synthetic 80's Rock with artists such as Duran Duran, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Depeche Mode, The Cure etc. - NO just kidding!

Thanks M@x for adding Jimi. I always felt that his influence on many prog artists should be acknowledged by his inclusion on PA - and I think he was one heck of a musician!Clap
Putting The Cure in the same sentence as Duran DuranAngryAngryAngry

amen...   someone should be sacrificed for daring  mention the Cure in the same sentence with Duran Duran AngryAngry
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 13:27
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

short summary of the myopic view of dissenters -
His failing in our detractors' eyes, in my opinion, is that much of his music was firmly rooted in the blues and R & B. Yet, his guitarr playing on songs like Purple Haze have been called "blues from Mars".

I know it's not in the Prorto Prog section, but the case is exactly the same:

Quote We specify the word MUSICAL because simple performance of a determined instrument in a Prog or mainstream band is not justification enough to include an artist, no matter how virtuoso he/she may be, Prog Archives has to evaluate their compositional work because the music is what determines the characteristics of a band or an artist.

The point is clear, if he's from mars,venus or Alpha centauri, doesn't count, the composition is the key to ad a band or not.

Iván

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 13:33
I was not commenting on the instrument. Simply that his guitar playing was seen as a giant leap out of the blues, R & B ,folk & jazz cliches that made up most of Rock playing at the time. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 13:40
Third Stone From The Sun to my knowledge is the first recording of space rock, even the title is archtypical of space rock. It was recorded in October '66, before Pink Floyd made anything near that (correct if I'm wrong).

I guess Hendrix frequented the clubs where Pink Floyd, Soft Machine etc. were gigging and picked up a few things and he may even have contributed in this early period.

He may not have used the Mellotron, but the harpsichord can be heard on Burning Of The Midlight Lamb from July '67.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Third Stone From The Sun to my knowledge is the first recording of space rock, even the title is archtypical of space rock. It was recorded in October '66, before Pink Floyd made anything near that (correct if I'm wrong).

I guess Hendrix frequented the clubs where Pink Floyd, Soft Machine etc. were gigging and picked up a few things and he may even have contributed in this early period.

He may not have used the Mellotron, but the harpsichord can be heard on Burning Of The Midlight Lamb from July '67.

I guess since he was often a bass player for the Soft Machine at gigs, it is possible they were in some clubs at the same time.

Also during his many concerts and tours with Pink Floyd, it is possible they may have made eye contact at least once. If you want more details read the intro at the beginning of this thread.

P.S. He did manage to 'pick up a few things' too, you know that thing where Jimi would stare vacantly at the crowd with the guitar hanging from his neck, Jimi got that from Syd.

Edited by Easy Money - April 14 2009 at 14:46
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 14:51
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

I guess since he was often a bass player for the Soft Machine at gigs, it is possible they were in some clubs at the same time.

Also during his many concerts and tours with Pink Floyd, it is possible they may have made eye contact at least once. If you want more details read the intro at the beginning of this thread.

P.S. He did manage to 'pick up a few things' too, you know that thing where Jimi would stare vacantly at the crowd with the guitar hanging from his neck, Jimi got that from Syd.

I'm particularly interested in how Third Stone From The Sun evolved. Was Pink Floyd doing anything like this in Aug-Sept-Oct '66 or does it suggest Jimi was the initiator of space rock?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 14:59
^ Jimi, The Nice, The Soft Machine and Pink Floyd were regular gig mates and jammin mates, particularly Jimi and early Soft Machine, especially Robert Wyatt.

It would be hard to seperate who influenced who, unfortunately other bands from that scene have faded into obscurity.

There were also some British avant-garde guitarists who probably influenced all of them.

P.S. To my ears, 3rd Stone is a good example of Jimi's cross-influence with the early Canterbury scene. There other songs of his that have a bit of that Canterbury sound too. Girl so Fine is a very early recording that exists on off-beat collections and bootlegs, there is another one on Voodoo Soup, but I forget the name.

Edited by Easy Money - April 14 2009 at 15:03
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:07
^There's gotta be some early, unofficial recordings of Pink Floyd from '66 or other accounts of what they were playing before their first official recording in (was it) January '67 (Nick's Boogie). Just wondering if someone from the list knows of this subject.

I don't recall anything from Soft Machine in '66 as spacey as Third Stone from the Sun
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:17
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I absollutely disagree, his compositions are not Prog at all.

But now he's added, nothing can be done so i will say nothing more about him as i always do.

Iván

Please, don't even dream in Cream

We should add Stevie Ray Vaughan next. He can be in the proto-prog related since his worshipped and tried to emulate Hendrix.

Really...this site is getting too fat. And after the great plug in Classic Rock (from the other thread). This is becoming a music in general website. Soon we will have Michael Jackson in here because of Thriller. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:17
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Jimi, The Nice, The Soft Machine and Pink Floyd were regular gig mates and jammin mates, particularly Jimi and early Soft Machine, especially Robert Wyatt.

It would be hard to seperate who influenced who, unfortunately other bands from that scene have faded into obscurity.

There were also some British avant-garde guitarists who probably influenced all of them.

P.S. To my ears, 3rd Stone is a good example of Jimi's cross-influence with the early Canterbury scene. There other songs of his that have a bit of that Canterbury sound too. Girl so Fine is a very early recording that exists on off-beat collections and bootlegs, there is another one on Voodoo Soup, but I forget the name.

space rock.. like many things probably had many chefs...  it is too simplistic and inaccurate to throw a tag of 'creator' around.  Look at those albums that one of our members ..(forgot his name Embarrassed) the guy from Mississippi posts in the WAYLTN thread that were being put out in the early 60's
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:20
An interesting picture of an authentic item - slightly off topic but clearly related to this debate is here
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

But now he's added, nothing can be done so i will say nothing more about him as i always do.

Iván

We should add Stevie Ray Vaughan next. He can be in the proto-prog related since his worshipped and tried to emulate Hendrix.

Really...this site is getting too fat. And after the great plug in Classic Rock (from the other thread). This is becoming a music in general website. Soon we will have Michael Jackson in here because of Thriller. 

This is offensive to all the people who work HARD and FOR FREE on behalf of this site. I am sick and tired of seeing such comments after every 'controversial' addition. You are free to express your opinion, but then so am I... Therefore, I will say that, if you don't like the direction the site is taking, you are free to stop visiting it - but not to imply we lack integrity.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:26

Iván

And The Kinks...since they have two concept albums.  Shocked I forgot...Ween has three concept albums. They'll be in here soon too!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:31

Iván

See I disagree with this statement. Stevie Ray, while emulating Hendrix, was also emulating a lot of other blues influences.  Stevie was a pure blues guitarist who did not stray from that path.  (Having seen him with Jeff Beck the year before he died is a one of my all time favorite memories but I digress..) Hendrix first three albums have songs of many varieties and are not strictly in the blues vein.  I will point to two off the top of my head that I think are pure proto-prog and that is Are You Experienced and If 6 were 9. Like I said in an earlier post.  I would have put Jimi ahead of a lot of bands on this site.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:36
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Iván

See I disagree with this statement. Stevie Ray, while emulating Hendrix, was also emulating a lot of other blues influences.  Stevie was a pure blues guitarist who did not stray from that path.  (Having seen him with Jeff Beck the year before he died is a one of my all time favorite memories but I digress..) Hendrix first three albums have songs of many varieties and are not strictly in the blues vein.  I will point to two off the top of my head that I think are pure proto-prog and that is Are You Experienced and If 6 were 9. Like I said in an earlier post.  I would have put Jimi ahead of a lot of bands on this site.

Lucky person to have seen SRV before he passed. Huge loss to the blues world, indeed.

Regardless, Hendrix being here is such a stretch. His quasiProg pieces were unintentional drug induced creations and I believe is a leap of faith to think he intended a stab at progressive rock. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 15:37
^ On the first 3 Experience albums there is one blues song 'Voodoo Child' played twice on Ladyland. Jimmy switched to playing the blues in 69 when he started Band of Gypsys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>