Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 161>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 15:02
By the way... I think one category is missing on PA. The Abstract/Noise category. Bands  like Mertzbow and Biota and the like. That's the logical left step from Avant/RIO in my opinion.

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 16:08
Originally posted by Rottenhat Rottenhat wrote:

By the way... I think one category is missing on PA. The Abstract/Noise category. Bands  like Mertzbow and Biota and the like. That's the logical left step from Avant/RIO in my opinion.

Indeed, but I personally think that would be straying too far from the territory of progressive rock to merit inclusion on a progressive rock website.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 16:17
While some of the more aggressive avant-garde jazz could find a home here (since aggressive often equals rock), Merzbow isn't related to anything at all. Then again I also don't think Merzbow is necessarily music, so I don't know.

In other news: Guitar Solos by Fred Frith! I should have heard this earlier!

Edited by Henry Plainview - July 08 2009 at 16:18
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 18:37
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Indeed, but I personally think that would be straying too far from the territory of progressive rock to merit inclusion on a progressive rock website.

Agreed. You might have a point with Biota (after all, Ground Zero are already here), but most artists in that field have little connection to RIO other than being - in the broadest sense - avant garde.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 21:08

The thing is, "Avant", as it is thrown around on this site, is really a shorthand for "avant-garde progressive rock".  While there's a bit of leeway regarding the "rock" part, it is a criterion that we try to adhere to - it is beyond our scope to simply add any avant-garde or eccentric sounding artist that's out there - otherwise a slew of modern classical and avant-jazz artists would soon fill our archives.  As others have said, I'm not sure Merzbow is even "music" - it's sort of a noise art, but I do know it sure as hell ain't rock music.  Wink
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cesar Inca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 08:22
My latest avant discoveries have been CHEER-ACCIDENT and MAUDLIN OF THE WELL. Both bands from the USA, both bands are veteran acts with new albums this year, both bands are really great!!

Kind regards.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:12
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

My latest avant discoveries have been CHEER-ACCIDENT and MAUDLIN OF THE WELL. Both bands from the USA, both bands are veteran acts with new albums this year, both bands are really great!!

Kind regards.

Two awesome releases by these two bands this year!!!

In other news, OOIOO will release their new album, Armonico Hewa, on August 6th, 2009.

http://www.thrilljockey.com/artists/index.html?id=10034

http://ooioo.jp/

http://www.myspace.com/oooiooo

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 13:30
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Kind regards.

In other news, OOIOO will release their new album, Armonico Hewa, on August 6th, 2009.

Ooh lovely! I've been really getting into OOIOO recently. I must make sure to check that one out.

I suppose now is as good a time as any to admit to knowing nothing whatsoever about Maudlin of the Well (though I've seen the name bandied about a lot). I should probably give them a go at some point in the not-too-distant.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 15:40

Kind regards.

Excellent news - there's something extremely uplifting about OOIOO.

Like David I'm not really familar with Maudlin of the Well; another one to add to the wish list I suppose.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 16:15

Kind regards.

OO(I)OO....I like this news.

Thanks for the heads up...had no idea they were planning anything.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 06:58
Anyone going to see Birdsongs of the Mesozoic on mini-tour?

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 10:08
I wish I could.

Haha, AS-220!  I remember that place from my youth, when I lived in Providence.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 15:14
You were brought up in Lovecraft land? Shocked

No wonder Shub-Niggurath is amazing to your ears. Wink
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 14:50
Okay, I'm a big fan of Belgian RIO bands (Univers Zero, Present) and also enjoy Thinking Plague and Miriador.  But that's really as far as I've gotten with RIO stuff.

So, for someone who loves dark chamber type stuff, what else would you guys recommend?

thanks!
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Capricorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 14:51
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Okay, I'm a big fan of Belgian RIO bands (Univers Zero, Present) and also enjoy Thinking Plague and Miriador.  But that's really as far as I've gotten with RIO stuff.

So, for someone who loves dark chamber type stuff, what else would you guys recommend?

thanks!

I don't see Art Zoyd listed there ...their first 3 albums are absolute masterworks of the genre Thumbs Up

Edited by Captain Capricorn - July 16 2009 at 14:53
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 14:56

thanks!

Some that immediately spring to mind are:
U TOTEM - s/t
YUGEN - Labirinto D'acqua
ZYPRESSEN - s/t
Zaar - s/t
Sotos - Platypus (and the first one as well)
RATIONAL DIET - At Work
PANZERPAPPA - Koralrevens Klagesang
OCTOBER EQUUS - Charybdis
OLIVE MESS - Gramercy
FRENCH TV - any album you find, but Violence of Amateurs is highly recommended

There's many more and a lot to be found here:http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=36
As well as on other sites.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 15:01

thanks!

Shub-Niggurath.

Not so dark chamber that I can't recommend highly enough:

Volapuk
Rouge Ciel
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 16:47
Originally posted by Captain Capricorn Captain Capricorn wrote:

thanks!

I don't see Art Zoyd listed there ...their first 3 albums are absolute masterworks of the genre Thumbs Up

Excellent.  I've certainly heard of them, but will check them out immediately, thanks!

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 16:53

thanks!

Some that immediately spring to mind are:
U TOTEM - s/t
YUGEN - Labirinto D'acqua
ZYPRESSEN - s/t
Zaar - s/t
Sotos - Platypus (and the first one as well)
RATIONAL DIET - At Work
PANZERPAPPA - Koralrevens Klagesang
OCTOBER EQUUS - Charybdis
OLIVE MESS - Gramercy
FRENCH TV - any album you find, but Violence of Amateurs is highly recommended

There's many more and a lot to be found here:http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=36
As well as on other sites.

Yeah, I've looked under the subgenre, but there are so many Shocked LOL

Actually, I have the Yugen as well, I forgot.  Not a favorite, but I think I need to give it more spins.  I also have the Panzerpappa and love that one (I forgot about it when I posted though Embarrassed)

French TV I have been listening to for years.  Somehow never thought of them as RIO/Avante prog for some reason, but I guess they fit there better than anywhere else.

Thanks for the other suggestions.  Lots for me to check out!

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 16:54
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

thanks!

Shub-Niggurath.

Not so dark chamber that I can't recommend highly enough:

Volapuk
Rouge Ciel

Ahh, yes, I've heard of them.  I think maybe the name scared me off LOL (which is strange, because I LOVE H.P. Lovecraft's works....the writer, of course).  The guy who turned me on to Univers Zero years ago recommended them but I never got around to checking them out.  I'll have to get on that now.

thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 161>