Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInappropriate reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 141>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 03:08
GENESIS Foxtrot
Review by Hally Hally Hassen Free @ 1:23:48 PM EST, 4/26/2005

2 stars  —  I've always missed the excitement of GENESIS as a 70s prog rock icon. However, I would rate Nursery Crymes and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as 5 stars on this board. Here in Afganistan the Taliban used the intro to "Watchers" to bring down the Bamiyan Buddhas.

This is obviously a joke review, and it deserves DELETION.
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 15:36
AMBROSIA - Life Beyond L.A. (1978)
Review by pgm @ 12:01:30 PM EST, 4/30/2005
0 stars  —   How can you go from an introspective, existentialist, progressive rock band to a Carpenters, elevator Musak in one album? Well here is a "how to " lesson from the folks that gave us this album. This album is right up there with the Captain and Tennille and the Carpenters. It just sucks. The producers of this album have castrated what was a great up and comer of a rock band at the time. Talk about disappointment

Something seems wrong with this, too.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 14:54
KANSAS Dust In The Wind progressive rock album and reviews KANSAS - Dust In The Wind (2002)
Review by bob smith @ 11:44:42 AM EST, 4/30/2005
5 stars  —   Backout Entertainment’s Album Featuring Sarah Brightman Delayed St. Petersburg, FL, March 1, 2005... Backout Entertainment’s new album has been pushed back. May 6 has been set as the new target release date. “Da Thiller” was originally set to be released on March 12. Due to the increasing demand for the internet downloads, Backout needed to go back to the studio and record two new bonus tracks which will be included in the album. The album features guest appearance from Sarah Brightman. Sarah Brightman is known for her angelic voice, numerous gold and platinum awards, and the ability to create new music genres. Internationally Known Sarah Brightman now has crossed over to the hip hop market. Featured in the song “Dust In The Wind” -originally recorded by Kansas. Sarah’s solo album “Eden” included the rerecorded song “dust in the wind” selling over 2 million copies worldwide
............................................................ ............................................................ ......................

Sarah Brightman's biggest fan,publicist and fantasist,methinks.Stern Smile
Should be removed,if only for the remarkable statement:"Sarah Brightman is known for her angelic voice....and the ability to create new music genres"ConfusedLOL
And for the even more bizaare claim that Sarah has now crossed over to the hip-hop market (!),where presumably she expects to pick up a couple of cheap dresses......Wink

Edited by Reed Lover

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 15:54

I was pleased to see all the crappy Ok Computer reviews removed, but I'm afraid the Radiohead section is still somewhat troubled.

RADIOHEAD Hail to the thief
Review by Progmeister @ 10:30:16 AM EST, 1/20/2005

0 stars  —  I guess the people who put Radiohead on this site must have a sense of humor, judging by all the abuse their albums are taking... I am sure there is going to be more abuse heaped on them in the future. Anyway, back to the album - there is nothing to say about it other than: it's a piece of junk.

Review by Redhead @ 11:18:17 AM EST, 1/20/2005

0 stars  —  Right you are,this is NOT progmusic,its probably brit pop or somewhere near that, however Radiohead are a good exsample of angry brit pop. Progressive, NO WAY !!! if you need new inspiration to the world of prog, seek elsewhere!! Radiohead doesnt make it!!!

Or even... *gasp...controversy!*

Review by Marcelo @ 8:16:24 AM EST, 1/20/2005

PROG REVIEWER
0 stars  —  I don't know why a band as RADIOHEAD is considerated progressive. From my point of view, this is an alternative-pop band (more pop than alternative), absolutely commercial and lack of creativity. OK, if you compare them with another terrible MTV crap "musicians", it's quite better, but... is this enough to speak about a "prog" group?

Many times, I think that prog community has some panic about the death of our beloved music. So, desperately try to find, in the new movements, progressive hints or "hidden" prog.

Anyway, "Hail to the Thief" IS NOT a progressive or an "almost progressive" cd. I only heard the same basic guitars and drums along the whole album. The melodies are the same, rythms are the same, there are not changes, surprises, beauty... Summarizing, there are not interesting elements here. Boring! Totally.

In these days, there's a Romanian pop group (O'Zone) sounding all time in every radio and music channel with the hit "Dragostea Din Tei" (arggg). Perhaps, some day, somebody find breaks and loops in that song and call it "prog": it wouldn't be a surprise; after all, RADIOHEAD has the same prog level.

I thought we were supposed to talk about how good the album is, not how progressive it is...
OldFatherThames View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 16:07
...I think it's a test !
JCProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 16:12
Originally posted by OldFatherThames OldFatherThames wrote:

...I think it's a test !

What gave it away?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 19:03

Here's another one:

RUSH 2112 progressive rock album and reviews RUSH - 2112 (1976)
Review by YouDontGiveAf**kAboutRush?!?! @ 4:49:02 PM EST, 5/1/2005

4 stars  —   I have to say this is the albumn that got me deep into rush. Personally I like the hard rock sound, and deep lyrics of Rush in the 1970's. This albumn or the one before it(Caress Of Steel) fall nothing short of a Masterpeice. Anyone who doesent give a [%*!#] about Rock'n'Roll better start giving a [%*!#]. Because rock is coming back and rap is only going to be one of those stage in time where people say "what the [%*!#] were we thinking." But the music of rush will live on forevor
............................................................ .........................................................
I dont believe this guy was baptised in a Catholic Church!LOL

Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 21:08
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Here's another one:

<SPAN =cls_DiscoText>RUSH 2112 progressive rock album and reviews RUSH - 2112 (1976)[/COLOR">Review by YouDontGiveAf**kAboutRush?!?! @ 4:49:02 PM EST, 5/1/2005

<DIV id=intelliTxt align=justify>  —   I have to say this is the albumn that got me deep into rush. Personally I like the hard rock sound, and deep lyrics of Rush in the 1970's. This albumn or the one before it(Caress Of Steel) fall nothing short of a Masterpeice. Anyone who doesent give a [%*!#] about Rock'n'Roll better start giving a [%*!#]. Because rock is coming back and rap is only going to be one of those stage in time where people say "what the [%*!#] were we thinking." But the music of rush will live on forevor
<DIV align=justify> ............................................................ .........................................................
<DIV align=justify>I dont believe this guy was baptised in a Catholic Church!LOL</SPAN>

Yeah I saw that one too, and the first thing I thought was "Hey, another for the 'not off the point but poor language thread'!"

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 14:15
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

KANSAS Dust In The Wind progressive rock album and reviews KANSAS - Dust In The Wind (2002)
Review by bob smith @ 11:44:42 AM EST, 4/30/2005
5 stars  —   Backout Entertainment’s Album Featuring Sarah Brightman Delayed St. Petersburg, FL, March 1, 2005... Backout Entertainment’s new album has been pushed back. May 6 has been set as the new target release date. “Da Thiller” was originally set to be released on March 12. Due to the increasing demand for the internet downloads, Backout needed to go back to the studio and record two new bonus tracks which will be included in the album. The album features guest appearance from Sarah Brightman. Sarah Brightman is known for her angelic voice, numerous gold and platinum awards, and the ability to create new music genres. Internationally Known Sarah Brightman now has crossed over to the hip hop market. Featured in the song “Dust In The Wind” -originally recorded by Kansas. Sarah’s solo album “Eden” included the rerecorded song “dust in the wind” selling over 2 million copies worldwide
............................................................ ............................................................ ......................

Sarah Brightman's biggest fan,publicist and fantasist,methinks.Stern Smile
Should be removed,if only for the remarkable statement:"Sarah Brightman is known for her angelic voice....and the ability to create new music genres"ConfusedLOL
And for the even more bizaare claim that Sarah has now crossed over to the hip-hop market (!),where presumably she expects to pick up a couple of cheap dresses......Wink

Agreed!!! and the fact she had nothing to do with this album at all.  On top of it he gave it 5 stars and I wouldn't give it to my dog to chew up.  A remake of the Live at The Whisky concert about 1992.  Just crap.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 23:57
RADIOHEAD - Hail to the thief (2003)
Review by memowakeman @ 11:48:17 PM EST, 5/2/2005
5 stars  —   Hay algo aqui que parece no quedar claro, calificamos a los discos, conforme a su integridad y musicalidad dentro del rock progresivo? , porque si fuese asi hay muchos discos que tienen muy poco de progresivo y le dan muy buenas calificaciones, o los calificamos por el simple hecho de que nos guste o no?. Por el respeto que le debo a esta banda y a este disco, le voy a poner 5 estrellas, aunque progresivamente hablando carece de virtudes y tiempos prog, aun asi si tiene algunas cosas experimentales muy buenas. Ya hablando del disco, me encanto , tiene una complejidad distinta a otros de sus discos, sus canciones son seguidas y nos muestran muchisimas caras e impresiones, muchisimos estados de animo, melancolia, sueños, soledad, metaforas, etc, y contrario por ejemplo al amnesiac, aqui se ve nuevamente la experimentacion de lo que es un grupo inteligente como este, ya no se van a tanta mediocridad ni experimentos al ahi se va, sino que ya todo esta bien planeado en cuanto a estructura y fondo del mismo, por esos meritos es que le doy las merecidas 5 estrellas, es un discazo!!

There's nothing wrong with it, it just needs translation. Here's a translated version (not great, but I got the main points):

There is something here that seems not to remain clear, we qualify the disks, according to theintegrity and musicality inside progressive rock? Because if it were, as there are many disks that have very little of progressive and very good qualifications within them, or we qualify them for the simple fact that we like it or not?  By the respect that the due to this band and to this disk, I am going to give them 5 stars, although progressively speaking they lack virtues and at times progressiveness, even though they have some very good experimental things.  Already speaking of the disk, my charm, they have a different complexity to the other of their disks, their songs are followed and they show us very expensive and impressions, a very big state that of encourage, melancolia, dreams, solitude, metaforas, etc, and opponent for example to the amnesiac, hereis seen again the experimentation of what is an intelligent group as this, no longer they go to so much mediocrity neither experiments as it goes, but it is already well planned as for structure and fund of the same one, by those merits I give them a deserved 5 stars, this is a disk! 
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 10:35
Vangelis album Earth has two reviews, but altogether 3 marks, one of which is anonimously given 0 (zero) without any explanation! So the mean mark is now 3, while, if not counted this anonimous zero, it would be 4,5.
Quite a difference!
So my suggestion would be to Administrators to consider ban on anonimous star marking, while requiring registred members only to post reviews.
Regards!

*VANGELIS (TO COMPLETE) Earth* ratings (3 entries)

Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music (33%)

Excellent addition to any prog music collection (33%)

Good, but non-essential (0%)

Collectors/fans only (0%)

Poor. Only for completionists (0%)

Bad. Do not buy! (33%)

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Discuss in the forum | Submit a review
*VANGELIS (TO COMPLETE) Earth* reviews
*VANGELIS (TO COMPLETE) Earth*
Review by Matej Luketic @ 3:32:38 AM EST, 4/27/2005

— "Earth" is one of the early albums that sound different than his latter works. It sounds more ethno rock than electronica. This was also one of the most early and original examples of world music genre but at that time it was more progressive than today's comercial works. Something similar was also done by other prog artists e.g. EMBRYO, POPOL VUH, BRIAN ENO ("My Life in the Bush of Ghotsts) etc.
A lot of various ethnic instruments and percussion are heard besides the usual bas, drums, guitars and keyboards. Vocals are very pleasant. Sometimes they're sung in English other times in world ethno vocalization. The first track "Come on" is the the only straighter rock track. It sounds out of place and it would be better left out. Other tracks are really something special and magical. Sometimes this sounds similar to APHRODITE'S CHILD - "666" but better.

Listening to this music is like a adventurous journey to the exotic worlds. Not an introductory album for a prog rock fan but if you like ethno than just grab it! This is a truly unique masterpiece of progressive world music!

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

*VANGELIS (TO COMPLETE) Earth*
Review by rick petersen @ 2:38:53 AM EST, 5/3/2005

— One of the last Vangelis albums to be released on CD, this is one of my favorites. Kind of a bridge between Aphrodite's Child's "666" and his solo work, this album has elements of rock, jazz, folk, and especially world music. Of course, there's also a spacy element, thanks to Vangelis' keyboards. Several tracks have vocals, either sung or spoken, and the melodies are catchy and original. A couple of tracks do nothing for me, notably "Come On". However, it's a short throwaway that can be skipped easily. Strongly recommended to fans of "666", especially if you like the songs from that album that have a distinctly Greek sound.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 01:25
RUSH Signals
Review by Yann Baumann @ 6:41:40 PM EST, 3/9/2005

5 stars  —  Signal / Signal : Signal A Masterpiece of Band of Canada : RUSH RUSH is with Moving pictures or hemisphere a great and a Genius Band but Signal is magic ! Signal is signal is great with luminous is the music play. Let's the music, a meddle a beauty ... RUSH is a Hard Progressive music ... with break, a rhythme ... Alex Lifeson is magic Geddy Lee and Neil peart ... The best band of CANADA with SAGA and JACKAL.

I find something wrong with this one.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 05:15

This one seems to have slipped under the radar:

PORCUPINE TREE Deadwing
Review by fl0w @ 9:18:50 PM EST, 3/21/2005

5 stars  —  I'm just curious how you guys can review the album that isn't still officially released. I still wait for my copy and the official release date is 28th March. It is 22th March today. Where did you get the album?

Delete this please!Angry

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 08:33
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

RUSH Signals
Review by Yann Baumann @ 6:41:40 PM EST, 3/9/2005

5 stars  —  Signal / Signal : Signal A Masterpiece of Band of Canada : RUSH RUSH is with Moving pictures or hemisphere a great and a Genius Band but Signal is magic ! Signal is signal is great with luminous is the music play. Let's the music, a meddle a beauty ... RUSH is a Hard Progressive music ... with break, a rhythme ... Alex Lifeson is magic Geddy Lee and Neil peart ... The best band of CANADA with SAGA and JACKAL.

I find something wrong with this one.

Me too...Saga I guess I can understand, but Jackal

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 16:06
DREAM THEATER Images And Words  progressive rock album and reviews DREAM THEATER - Images And Words (1992)
Review by João Matos @ 3:49:23 PM EST, 5/6/2005
5 stars  —   This is the best album of progressive metal... Dream theater play in a style that only they know, this album should be the best... and not that [&*!#]y of Close to the edge... Please keep voting to put this album in first place... The songs are magnificent, and letters can make anywone shiver... THEY ARE THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLDDDDDDDDDDDD. PLEASE VOTEEEEEE...
YES Close to the Edge progressive rock album and reviews YES - Close to the Edge (1972)
Review by João Matos @ 3:44:01 PM EST, 5/6/2005
0 stars  —   Buy the holly mother of god... How can this [&*!#] be in first place? The album is so bad BUT SO BAD... the vocalist is a gay... The songs are stupid, and the letters don´t make any sense... Yes is definitly the worst band of progressive metal, they not even are progressive metal, maybe they are some sort of jazz funky, BUT THEIR NOT DEFINITLY PROGRESSIVE METAL... PLEASE, TAKE THIS sh*t OF THE FIRST PLACE AND PUT DREAM THEATER - IMAGES AND WORDS... THIS ALBUM SUCKS A LOTTTTTTTTTTT

PLEASE TAKE THESE DOWN, THE REVIEWS SUCK ALLOOOOTTTTT. PLEEEEEEEEEEEASEEEEE

Edited by Hangedman
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 18:19

More for the chopping block.

Make people register before posting reviews.Please.Do it now!!!

You will do it sometime so why not now??

Confused

DREAM THEATER Images And Words  progressive rock album and reviews DREAM THEATER - Images And Words (1992)
Review by My name is Stupid @ 6:17:02 PM EST, 5/6/2005

0 stars  —   Buy the holly mother of god... How can this [&*!#] be in teh archive? The album is so bad BUT SO BAD... the vocalist is a gay... The songs are stupid, and the letters don´t make any sense... Dream Theater is definitly the worst band of progressive metal, they not even are progressive metal, maybe they are some sort of jazz funky, BUT THEIR NOT DEFINITLY PROGRESSIVE METAL... PLEASE, TAKE THIS sh*t OFF THE ARCHIVE AND PUT IN MARIAH CAREY - GREATEST HITS... THIS ALBUM SUCKS A LOTTTTTTTTTTT
YES Close to the Edge progressive rock album and reviews YES - Close to the Edge (1972)
Review by Nick Green @ 5:51:58 PM EST, 5/6/2005
4 stars  —   João Matos - " Buy the holly mother of god... How can this [&*!#] be in first place? The album is so bad BUT SO BAD... the vocalist is a gay... The songs are stupid, and the letters don´t make any sense... Yes is definitly the worst band of progressive metal, they not even are progressive metal, maybe they are some sort of jazz funky, BUT THEIR NOT DEFINITLY PROGRESSIVE METAL... PLEASE, TAKE THIS sh*t OF THE FIRST PLACE AND PUT DREAM THEATER - IMAGES AND WORDS... THIS ALBUM SUCKS A LOTTTTTTTTTTT". I am not sure 'missed the point' could even vaguely cover this. Possibly the funniest review I have ever read!

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 02:40

One more for the trash can:

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by brodders69 @ 6:34:04 AM EST, 4/22/2005

5 stars  —  There I was, sat in my Ivory Tower in Progland when I bellowed to my PA “Excuse me dear, could you please send the following memo to Marcelo, Greenback, Guilherme Baldin, Prog-O-Saurus, Rob The Good, Redhead, CrazyDiamond, Ulmanor, Grego & Tony Fisher: Get real you muppets, this album (and the 2 subsequent studio albums) is where prog-rock is heading in the modern world (Mars Volta will take it further but you probably don’t like them either); Forget your oldie worldie, hey nonny nonny, twiddly dee ‘this is real prog- rock’ rubbish which you are so fond of wasting your lives listening to; Move on with the times, chill out & accept the fact that Radiohead are better & have more substance than any of the bands that you devote your sad little lives to! Regards. Brodders69. P.S. This is the best album in the world ever & even Channel 4 viewers agree with me, so nurrr!”

Not a single word about the album, only moronic  insults.

Iván

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 13:13
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

One more for the trash can:

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by brodders69 @ 6:34:04 AM EST, 4/22/2005

5 stars  —  There I was, sat in my Ivory Tower in Progland when I bellowed to my PA “Excuse me dear, could you please send the following memo to Marcelo, Greenback, Guilherme Baldin, Prog-O-Saurus, Rob The Good, Redhead, CrazyDiamond, Ulmanor, Grego & Tony Fisher: Get real you muppets, this album (and the 2 subsequent studio albums) is where prog-rock is heading in the modern world (Mars Volta will take it further but you probably don’t like them either); Forget your oldie worldie, hey nonny nonny, twiddly dee ‘this is real prog- rock’ rubbish which you are so fond of wasting your lives listening to; Move on with the times, chill out & accept the fact that Radiohead are better & have more substance than any of the bands that you devote your sad little lives to! Regards. Brodders69. P.S. This is the best album in the world ever & even Channel 4 viewers agree with me, so nurrr!”

Not a single word about the album, only moronic  insults.

Iván

If channel 4 thinks so IT MUST BE TRUE!

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 12:44
I see we have a great review from Rikard, which has just been posted, regarding James Labrie's Solo album, 'Elements of Persuasion'; very edifying.  I wonder whether he'd be big enough to say the same if he met him in the streets!
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 11:04
Ohhh, I saw that EoP review...quite harsh!!!

We also have this 1-star beauty now for Awake. Am I just overly defensive because of my love for that album?

DREAM THEATER - Awake (1994)
Review by BELVA @ 4:51:28 AM EST, 5/10/2005
1 stars —   Well, I think just the name is good....... WAKE UP!! Wake up guys, it just sucks to grow up in the USA during the nineties, with all this shiit.... start reading books, loving art, just a little, and develop estetics taste. Riffs in this albums are kitsch, the voice is kitsch, LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT THE KITSCHY KEYBOARD, even the cover is that computerized psychedelia that really tastes too much american for me..... You want a good rock band with over-skilled players and kitschy keyboard, you just listen to UK. But not this: you are just helping the commercial music community that you hate so much. They just trick you, in making you believe you are listening to something alternative. In effect chord progressions, arrangements and lyrics are pretty much like Racer x or Poison stuff....... WAKE UP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (one star for poor Petrucci that has learned all that crapp so efficiently, but can't even manage to dress up normally on one cover)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 141>